Has christian music always been this popular?

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    5) Catholics Tend To Make Darker Music - Can't tell you why

haha! you obviously were not raised Catholic then.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    exoticize.

ironically.

ross is so on point with his post

i love a good jazz mass but iam not that into gospel, and its not because its all about jesus but more for the fact iam not into the rhythm of most of it

take the james tatum record, i could listen to that probably everyday if i had to but its not cause i like jesus or the church its because its fucking beautiful shit, i can feel the dudes passion for his religion, even though i don't follow it i still respect what the dude was trying to do and did, i don't find much diffrence between the christian folks and what alice coltrane or phaoroe were doing, trying to play to a higher being or whatever, if thats what gave them inspiration and helped them make these tunes than thats great, you can still listen to it and appreciate it for what it is, music, and listening to shit for irony is the lamest shit ever

True speak, but whereas I can't listen to James Tatum really at all I love the top notch gospel that I've scored over the last couple years. My like for one over the other is definitely a musical thing, not an aversion to subject matter.

• 99crates99crates 42 Posts

GOSPEL 4 LIFE

Dr*w, you've been listening to gospel for a long time?

Yes, and it all starts with Bill Withers for me.

"Lean On Me"?

Yes,

and "Grandma's Hands", "Ain't No Sunshine", "Harlem", etc.

Unfortunately, they keep using his songs in ads to sell Ford Trucks and Burger King burgers but that's another thread.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

• i don't like irony in this day and age. in fact it is totally inappropriate given the state of the world. what we need now is honesty and authenticity. when i see some brooklyn clown self-absorbed hipster in a members only i want to rip his relax t-shirt. i listen to Christian music for it's sincerity. i like hearing someone who is inspired. i don't care if they are inspired by jesus or inspired by doing a drive by shooting. as long as they are inspired. the thought of listening to Christian music as an ironic gesture makes me ill.

p.s. you guys just mentioned some records... i have never heard those titles.

great advice on the genre rich. happy people xian is horrible and all of those cute guys and girls singing day by day is what gives the genre a bad name. the catholics are into relegious theater. the music can be totally insane. listen to the search party.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    my girlfriend just recently nailed two really good xian crossovers. "the trees" and "the colors of love"

is the colors of love raer? i found a listing on wfmu for the tune "beyond orion", but of course it was from a comp.

rich, thony? every had it/seen it?

Doesn't ring a bell....can you post a photo???

• it is very useful to add that two types of music are being discussed in this thread. gospel and christian. they are two very different things. both have some amazing material. one is roots based and the other is a co-opting of rock, folk and singer songwriter.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Rockadelic, do you happen to remember what the title to the Ken Scott book is? I'd liek to look into it.

AP- I'm not knocking Jesus music, I'm just wondering about this "trend" (if it even is one) and what attracted people to it, thats all. I'm not saying I don't like it or wouldn't listen to it, I just can't listen to it for a long period of time, but maybe I have been hearing the wrong stuff. I grew up in a catholic home, my mom was a catechism teacher, I had to go to church every Sunday, go to confession, retreats, pray the rosary daily, pray in the morning, night, before every meal, the whole nine. And for the most part I was forced to do it all, thats why can't listen to that stuff for too long, but I'm not against it in any way. Please don't think I beleieve it looses any validity or it is lesser music because it comes from christians.
    Btw I would love to hear this song you keep talking about with the baby heartbeat.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    can you post a photo???

ok i know about the photobucket upload part....but what next??

p.s. you can popsike "the trees", although i want to post o pic of the color's because it is sooo nice.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

for me the content and music is not to be seperated.

I remember a few months back, getting into it a bit
    with somebody on here (can't remember who) that said
    something along the lines of "Roy Ayers' He's Coming
    is such a dope album, but it would be so much better if
    all the lyrics weren't about Jesus..."
    I just found this to be completely asinine - I'm not
    saying you have to be Christian to enjoy music
    of faith and inspiration, but to dismiss that aspect in
    appreciating the work is an insult to the artist and
    what they were saying, feeling and communicating with their art.

It's always cool to find gospel/christian work that crosses
    over into other styles, be it funky wah wah gospel or
    psychedelic tape loop christian folk, or whatever - but if
    you are checking for this stuff without appreciating quality
    authentic gospel/spiritual music, you are cheating youself...

• the ken scott book is called the archivist. it is one of the greatest self published music books of all time. a mindblowing adventure in custom press/private press music.

if i was raised christian the way some of my friends were i most certainly would not want to listen to this stuff. call it a relationship to the exotic. perhaps that is problematic but i would say that most relationships to music are based on this unless you are a preformer or composer.

on a related note...

http://www.lonniefrisbee.com/whowas.htm

http://one-way.org/jesusmovement/

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    Personally, jesus music used to kind of freak me out. Then I realized that the best music comes from a spiritual place of submission. It was easier to listen to John Coltrane, because well, he never talked about jesus. And as a somewhat secular dude, reverting to jesusisms felt a bit scary and backward. But now I've found my metaphorical Jesus and appreciate the aunthenticity that comes from making music that is bigger than a few individuals.

my friends, on the other hand, get a bit freaked.

• your friends are whimps. they need to take of the members only and get real.

• I think some people (esp those that dig "world" music) would be surprised to find out how much of it is religious in nature. Great music is great music...

Great music is great music.

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    i don't like irony in this day and age. in fact it is totally inappropriate given the state of the world. what we need now is honesty and authenticity. when i see some brooklyn clown self-absorbed hipster in a members only i want to rip his relax t-shirt. i listen to Christian music for it's sincerity. i like hearing someone who is inspired. i don't care if they are inspired by jesus or inspired by doing a drive by shooting. as long as they are inspired. the thought of listening to Christian music as an ironic gesture makes me ill.

While I don't listen to Christian music very often, I wholeheartedly endorse opposition to the dominant place of irony in contemporary American culture. Irony is only effective when it occupies the edges. When it comes to occupy the center, it blurs the distinctions between truth and fiction, sincerity and fraudulence. It has been occupying the center for at least five years now, and it needs to move along.

Truly yours,
    JRoot

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Some of the better Christian Rock/Psych LP's are......and there are LOTS more.

Fraction
    Emmaus Road
    Azitis
    Bob Desper
    Out Of Darkness
    Maranatha
    Agape(2 LP's)
    Wilson McKinley(3 LP's)
    Joshua

What about that 7" EP by that Chicago-area band called the Exceptions (Rock & Roll Mass)? That's something I can definitely get behind.

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts

for me the content and music is not to be seperated.

I remember a few months back, getting into it a bit
    with somebody on here (can't remember who) that said
    something along the lines of "Roy Ayers' He's Coming
    is such a dope album, but it would be so much better if
    all the lyrics weren't about Jesus..."
    I just found this to be completely asinine - I'm not
    saying you have to be Christian to enjoy music
    of faith and inspiration, but to dismiss that aspect in
    appreciating the work is an insult to the artist and
    what they were saying, feeling and communicating with their art.

I think Grope said he liked instrumental music and appreciated the fact he can only partly understand English lyrics. As an example he offered that Roy Ayers record you mention because apparently Jesus is something of a red flag for Grope. This would maybe be an insult to the artist if he would tell the artist in the face, but I fail to see how it's considered an insult if you like this of a certain record and you like that less. The artist may try to convey something through the music but he can't control how it's perceived. I understand when you say you have to aknowledge the fact that something is born out of inspiration but I don't think you have to like every aspect of a piece of art, although for the artist that aspect might be the very point he's comming from. Like Mike Oldfield doing an inspirational Tubular Bells but for the rest of us it's about vomiting little satanic girls.

I found two terrific christian records lately, one is called It's Getting Late by The Continental Singers and the other one is pretty obscure I think and is called Here I Am by the Ricky McKinnie Singers.

Some of the better Christian Rock/Psych LP's are......and there are LOTS more.

Fraction
    Emmaus Road
    Azitis
    Bob Desper
    Out Of Darkness
    Maranatha
    Agape(2 LP's)
    Wilson McKinley(3 LP's)
    Joshua

What about that 7" EP by that Chicago-area band called the Exceptions (Rock & Roll Mass)? That's something I can definitely get behind.
    w/Peter Cetera!!

There are literally 100's of good ones.....there is no way to list them all off the top of your head.....everyone should check out the Archivist book!!!

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    i don't like irony in this day and age. in fact it is totally inappropriate given the state of the world. what we need now is honesty and authenticity. when i see some brooklyn clown self-absorbed hipster in a members only i want to rip his relax t-shirt. i listen to Christian music for it's sincerity. i like hearing someone who is inspired. i don't care if they are inspired by jesus or inspired by doing a drive by shooting. as long as they are inspired. the thought of listening to Christian music as an ironic gesture makes me ill.

While I don't listen to Christian music very often, I wholeheartedly endorse opposition to the dominant place of irony in contemporary American culture. Irony is only effective when it occupies the edges. When it comes to occupy the center, it blurs the distinctions between truth and fiction, sincerity and fraudulence. It has been occupying the center for at least five years now, and it needs to move along.

Truly yours,
    JRoot

its the age of chaos dog. language and thoughtful communication has been replaced by grunts and nonsense. when irony is at the center, and the language that was once used for communication, means the opposite to what it means or nothing at all, I think only a cultural transformation will change that trend. Personally, I think 2012 is a good guess as to when that transformation will happen. However, the transformation will probably not be observable to us, it will only perceivable to future historians. And I think that transformation will be highlighted by an upward return to spirituality and the rejection of economic consumer society. The language of business and advertising has been most responsable for our current language vortex.

• Do you feel the same way about roots reggae? I have a theory that many Americans--and I'm not directing this at you--have no problem listening to a million reggae songs that big up "Jah Jah" and Selassie because 1) they don't name drop Jesus specifically and 2) it's easier to exoticize.

If all the reggae dudes (and not just Yabby You) sang about Jesus, I don't know that it would be nearly as popular.

As far as Christian music is concerned, I get the feeling that many of its more recent fans are lapsed Christians/agnostics/atheists who enjoy it somewhat ironically. At any rate, I doubt that folks are feelin' the lyrical content as much as the artists hope they are.

I can listen to xian music only because I've listened to so much roots reggae. Once I realized all the Ratafari/Jah speak was about Christianity, American Christian music made more sense to me. I had to go outside before I could realize what was really going on here. Although I may disagree with many of The Church's ideas, I want to hear the unique vision of each musician. Especially if it involves a Personal Jesus. My grandma told me a story about her experience with him, and it's for real.

I think some people (esp those that dig "world" music) would be surprised to find out how much of it is religious in nature. Great music is great music...

yes!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't know if this has much to do with anything, but religious music is so great to check out, for me, because I'm always curious to hear or experience things that are divinely inspired.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    No one in this thread has indicated they would avoid music strictly because its content involves religious themes, I don't understand why that idea gets raised over and over again

No one in this thread has indicated they would avoid music strictly because its content involves religious themes, I don't understand why that idea gets raised over and over again

but people have expressed feelings of being uncomfortable with "Jesus" music. It is therefore intersting to see what what types of spiritual music people are OK with and why.

I'll go there....I am turned off by music that I consider too preachy. Religiously themed music can be great but I don't like to be constantly hit over the head with "Jesus Is The Way" type stuff....I prefer mine to be a little less "in your face"

Fraction is the greatest example of being totally Christian without being preachy....I've played it for people who have commented that it sounded Satanic!!!!

• I'm really into for-real gospel music, but I absolutely CANNOT STAND whitebread pop/rock/folk Christian stuff unless its equally as good as the best non-Xian forms of said music...

Same here.
    I love gospel music but I'm not the most religous dude. There is something so pure about real gospel music. I think it's the fact that those folks truely believe in what they are singing about. Not listening to gospel because of it's religous content is kinda weak imo. That's like not listening to gangster rap if your not a gangster. Gospel music is the foundation of many,many,many forms of music. Without it...there probablly wouldn't be places like Soulstrut now a days. I hope more folks catch a ride on the gospel train in years to come. I think it's time for a "Gospel Heat" thread again.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

Same here.
    I love gospel music but I'm not the most religous dude. There is something so pure about real gospel music. I think it's the fact that those folks truely believe in what they are singing about. Not listening to gospel because of it's religous content is kinda weak imo. That's like not listening to gangster rap if your not a gangster. Gospel music is the foundation of many,many,many forms of music. Without it...there probablly wouldn't be places like Soulstrut now a days. I hope more folks catch a ride on the gospel train in years to come. I think it's time for a "Gospel Heat" thread again.

Please to send Lula Collins...

• Same here.

Please to send Lula Collins...
    If I knew how to post audio...she would invade the Strut today.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts

By the way, some sik gospel radio shows (w/playlists) can be found here:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/CR