covers that are WAY better than the original

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Sharon Jones-what have you done for me lately? no explanation needed. Nostalgia 77- Seven Nation Army...I dont give a fuck about the White Stripes or producer based stuff like this Nostalgia dude/Greyboy/ etc...but this shit is Fire! the singer is raw.

Comments

• Im gonna get crapped on for saying this but I think 13th Floor Elevator's cover of "Baby Blue" is miles beyond Dylan's version. Its probably one of my favorite songs.

• Odetta- Take me to the Pilot

• Im gonna get crapped on for saying this but I think 13th Floor Elevator's cover of "Baby Blue" is miles beyond Dylan's version. Its probably one of my favorite songs.

cosign.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts

Nostalgia 77- Seven Nation Army...I dont give a fuck about the White Stripes or producer based stuff like this Nostalgia dude/Greyboy/ etc...but this shit is Fire! the singer is raw.

I almost feel ya on that. I am a huge fan of the White Stripes and I almost really like the nostalgia 77 version more...

cosign.

phfew.

Should we take this to Hair covers????

• Isaac Hayes- Walk on By
    The Marcels- Blue Moon
    Bobby Bland- Blue Moon

• Sharon Jones-what have you done for me lately? no explanation needed.

I actually disagree

• Grant Green We've Only Just Begun

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Sharon Jones-what have you done for me lately? no explanation needed.

I actually disagree

ditto

As far as Baby Blue. I love Them's cover of the song. Someone please sell me this album.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

• Tim Heintz - Peg.

I actually disagree

To make something that was originally so squared-off and almost plastic sounding so organic and flowing is amazing to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Isaac Hayes- Walk on By

this is like the gold standard of good covers

• almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

HEY MISSB!

Dude...have you guys heard the Al Green verison? HOLY FUCK ! I loved it when Soul cats slay rock songs, it's really some musical "down with whitey" biz.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I actually disagree

ditto

As far as Baby Blue. I love Them's cover of the song. Someone please sell me this album.

I've got one, get in touch.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

I actually disagree

To make something that was originally so squared-off and almost plastic sounding so organic and flowing is amazing to me.

I agree with you. I think she took that song to another level entirely.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

HEY MISSB!

Dude...have you guys heard the Al Green verison? HOLY FUCK ! I loved it when Soul cats slay rock songs, it's really some musical "down with whitey" biz.

yes, it's a scorcher.

what up YoungF*x?

Sa Ra huh? Congratulations to you. I can't say I've heard one note by them, but their fans who I see at the record store are cute and polite.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Aretha covering most anything; Say A Little Prayer, Natural Woman, You've Got A Friend.

Almost any Bob Dylan cover is going to better than the original:
    Hendrix All Along The Watchtower, Like A Rolling Stone.
    Staple Singers: John Brown, Ballad Hollis Brown, Blowing In The Wind
    Nina Simone: I Shall Be Released

Was just listening to Etta James do Take It to The Limit. An example of a song you hope to never hear the original of again, but hey it's a good song.

Dan

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    BOb James Take Me To The Mardi Grass, (first 30 sek anyway)

I actually disagree

I agree... it is amazing, in concept. But I like Janet's version better. I actually threw on the Sharon Jones to make sure I wasn't tripping.

• almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

have you guys heard the Al Green verison? HOLY FUCK ! I loved it when Soul cats space out and forget the words to[/b] rock songs, it's really some musical "down with whitey" biz. "Teenie, play yo' guitar! We workin', y'all, we workin'!"

• Isaac Hayes- Walk on By

this is like the gold standard of good covers

I find "You've Lost that Lovin' Feelin'" by Ike to be even better, but then that's counting the 6 minute medley/preamble.

• "I Can Understand It"-New Birth
    "Dream Merchant"-New Birth
    "Brother Louie"-Stories
    "Got My Mind Set On You"-George Harrison
    "Patches"-Clarence Carter
    "Let's Spend The Night Together"-Muddy Waters

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The Notations-Make Me Twice The Man

Their version of New York City's song is way better.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I don't know if it's WAY better than the original, but I like Bo Diddley's "Down on the Corner" a lot more than the OG, which I'm pretty "meh" on.

I don't know if it's WAY better than the original

Really? One day I listened to the OG, then I listened to the cover and the Notations version gave me the chills.

but I like Bo Diddley's "Down on the Corner" a lot more than the OG, which I'm pretty "meh" on.

I would be interested in hearing this song.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Really? One day I listened to the OG, then I listened to the cover and the Notations version gave me the chills.

Oh, I meant I don't know if the Bo Diddley "Down on the Corner" qualifies as WAY better than the OG.

Oh, I meant I don't know if the Bo Diddley "Down on the Corner" qualifies as WAY better than the OG.

Got it.

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    Isaac Hayes "Our Day will Come"
    Jimi Hendrix "Hey Joe"

• Ken Boothe - Everything I Own (I just act like Bread itself doesn't exist)
    Sanchez - Greatest Love Of All
    many more, but I'm at work and in a hurry...

I love Jamaican covers.