covers that are WAY better than the original

124»

Comments

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

And Al Green "pretty woman" , not that i like Roys version at all but that is at least some kind of time document or early RnR hit et.c., what was the reverends excuse? Horrible song..

/L

Co-sign. Awful song made only slightly more bearable by Al's intepretation.

• Kellee Patterson - I'm gonna love you a little bit more

Otis Gayle - I 'll be around

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    how come nobody mentioned sharon jones's "this land is your land"?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Oh yeah, Dilla's 'Think Twice' cover is ill, IMO.

Marky Mark "Take a Walk on the Wild Side"
    Marky Mark "You Got the Touch"
    Tiga "Hot in Herre"

Just joking...

Cosign "Walk on By"

Another gold standard for me:

Coltrane "My Favorite Things," but I'm a little biased; I never liked Mary Poppins in the first place

Massive Attack "Be Thankful For What You've Got"

• the litter - whatcha gonna do about it

• Sergio Mendes - Scarborough Fair[/b]

Which original are you referring to here? I think Scarborough Fair is literally centuries old.

Do it matter? It's still a cover!

• ...any soul cover of a non-soul song.

After hearing Jackie Thompson's godawful version of Johnny Cash's "Daddy Sang Bass," I'd rethink that statement.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what up YoungF*x?

Please never ever address the boy this way in public again...

I do not think it is very healthy for him.

Hugh Madsen?

More nauseated...

• Massive Attack "Be Thankful For What You've Got"

Blasphemy! Do you feel the same about their version of "noisy neighbours" on the Mezzannine album?

• Massive Attack "Be Thankful For What You've Got"

Blasphemy! Do you feel the same about their version of "noisy neighbours" on the Mezzannine album?

Cosign !!!! I do think Yo La Tengo's version kills it though

How about, Esther Phillips - "home is where the hatred is" ?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Great version but WAY better than the original? Gil's original version is pretty fucking great too.

• How about, Esther Phillips - "home is where the hatred is" ?

Great version but WAY better than the original? Gil's original version is pretty fucking great too.

Gil's original was so on-point that Esther was 99 and 44/100% SURE he had to be a junkie even before meeting him (true story told by Gil himself).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Gil's original was so on-point that Esther was 99 and 44/100% SURE he had to be a junkie even before meeting him (true story told by Gil himself).

i choose his voice and inflection over hers any day...for any song.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

For me Wilson Pickett's version is also up there with Jimi's and I also love Johnny Halliday's cover. Who did the original?

Pickett covered Hey Joe? Or are you thinking of Hey Jude?

The Leaves had the hit with Hey Joe, but I think they got it from somewhere else. I'm sure John Book knows.

Dan

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I like The Meters Wichita Lineman although you can't fuck with Glen Campbell
    Stevie - we can work it out
    Zombies-Summertime
    Cash - Hurt
    Caprells - Walk on by
    Caprells - Walk on by
    Sergio Mendes - Scarborough Fair[/b]

Which original are you referring to here? I think Scarborough Fair is literally centuries old.

Simon and Garfunkle had a hit with with Scarborough Fair/Canticle. Segio Mendes seems to have used the S&G arrangement for his cover.

Dan

• I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

For me Wilson Pickett's version is also up there with Jimi's and I also love Johnny Halliday's cover. Who did the original?

The Leaves had the hit with Hey Joe, but I think they got it from somewhere else. I'm sure John Book knows.

Dan

Yeah The Leaves had the first "popular" recording of Hey Joe, but I don't think it was the first ever.

I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

Dan

Yeah The Leaves had the first "popular" recording of Hey Joe, but I don't think it was the first ever.

i'm pretty sure the earliest was Kitty Wells - country style

• For me Wilson Pickett's version is also up there with Jimi's and I also love Johnny Halliday's cover. Who did the original?

Pickett did indeed cover "Hey Joe" (patterned after Hendrix' version). It's on Pickett's Right On album.

The Leaves had the first "popular" recording of Hey Joe, but I don't think it was the first ever.

I think it was. The song had been circulating in the folk-rock underground for some time, and the Byrds and Love had it in their repertoires, but the Leaves were the first to put it on wax.

Not saying you're wrong, but it does sound unlikely. Carl Smith had a country hit with an unrelated song called "Hey Joe." I'm assuming the Wells song is a cover of THAT, not the Leaves/Hendrix song.

Speaking of cover versions and Kitty Wells, she did an INCREDIBLE version of "I've Been Loving You Too Long To Stop Now" that sounds like it was s'posed to be C&W from the git-go. Does she top Otis Redding? Hell, no! But who does? And I give props to Wells (or her producer?) for rearranging it into a different style. It's on her 1974 album Forever Young, and she does it up right. (I think there's a country version by Area Code 615, but I've never heard it.)

Not saying you're wrong, but it does sound unlikely. Carl Smith had a country hit with an unrelated song called "Hey Joe." I'm assuming the Wells song is a cover of THAT, not the Leaves/Hendrix song.

Speaking of cover versions and Kitty Wells, she did an INCREDIBLE version of "I've Been Loving You Too Long To Stop Now" that sounds like it was s'posed to be C&W from the git-go. Does she top Otis Redding? Hell, no! But who does? And I give props to Wells (or her producer?) for rearranging it into a different style. It's on her 1974 album Forever Young, and she does it up right. (I think there's a country version by Area Code 615, but I've never heard it.)

i'm plenty wrong!

you're plenty right!

it is two different writers...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Also, the original arrangement of "Hey Joe"
    in the "Hendrix-style" (slowed-down) was by Tim Rose, on a 1965 or
    1966 Columbia LP - this is the version that Jimi covered...

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Also, the original arrangement of "Hey Joe"
    in the "Hendrix-style" (slowed-down) was by Tim Rose, on a 1965 or
    1966 Columbia LP - this is the version that Jimi covered...

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,102 Posts

Espers > Blue Oyster Cult