covers that are WAY better than the original

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

new thread...songs that trump the "singer not the song" rule..."songs its hard to make a bad cover of"...ready set go!

Said it before, I'll say it again, it is hard to find a bad version of Ain't No Sunshine. Also; Change Is Going To Come, What's Going On (I can only think of jazz covers and I like them), California Dreaming and Theme From Black Orpheus.

I'm not saying any one cover is better than the original, just that these songs cover well.

Here is another cover that kills it, I am The Walrus by Freddie McCoy.

Dan

• what up YoungF*x?

Please never ever address the boy this way in public again...

I do not think it is very healthy for him.

Hugh Madsen?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts

new thread...songs that trump the "singer not the song" rule..."songs its hard to make a bad cover of"...ready set go!

Said it before, I'll say it again, it is hard to find a bad version of Ain't No Sunshine. Also; Change Is Going To Come, What's Going On (I can only think of jazz covers and I like them), California Dreaming and Theme From Black Orpheus.

I'm not saying any one cover is better than the original, just that these songs cover well.

Dan

I'd add to your list Ode to Billie Joe; I can't remember if I ever heard the OG (Bobbie Gentry?), but all covers I heard are very good.

Peace

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Buddy Miles' "Down by the river"...its sons the CS&N version

I have to go with the original version.

Off the top of my head. Johnny cash's version of rusty cage is Taking nothing away from the original. I gotta say the lyrics to that song are pure

"When the forest burns along the road. Like god's eyes in my head light. When the dogs are looking for there bones and it's raining ice picks on your steel shore"

The first time I heard his version, I played 20 times in a row.
    As far as his newer covers. None of them touch Rusty Cage.

Oh yea Al Green kills light my fire...better than the og.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Dan

I'd add to your list Ode to Billie Joe; I can't remember if I ever heard the OG (Bobbie Gentry?), but all covers I heard are very good.

Peace

Pick up the Bobbie Gentry next time you are in the dollar bins. It is great. I agree, no bad cover versions.

• Aretha covering most anything; Say A Little Prayer, Natural Woman, You've Got A Friend.

Yeah I don't think I'd go as far as to say her version of "Spanish Harlem" is BETTER than Ben E. King's, but I do think it's just as good in a different way, kinda like Marvin vs. Gladys' "I Heard It Through the Grapevine".

a couple more I'll add:

The Kingsmen- Louie Louie
    Ella Fitzgerald- What Are You Doing New Year's Eve? (could very well be my #1 favorite song of all time)

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Beatles- Twist and Shout
    Jose- California Dreaming
    Stones- Not Fade Away
    Hendrix- Wild Thing (live)
    Talking Heads and Al Green- Take Me to the River

I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    We've only Just Begun - Grant Green ?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My dad used to call the Door's Light My Fire the Beethoven's 9th of Rock. I think the OG is still the best.

• I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

what IS the original of that? It seems like 1000 groups recorded it in a span of a few months.

I was just checking the weekday finds thread and remembered that Hendrix's version of hey joe crushes the original. Still like the original as well, but Hendrix brings it.

what IS the original of that? It seems like 1000 groups recorded it in a span of a few months.

I'm pretty sure it the leaves. I always thought that was a Hendrix original. I was wrong.

• "Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong"-Ray Charles (takes it to an angry level that the Whispers could only hint at)

Ray Charles! Every song on this gem, and Vol 2 is better than the original.

I don't agree. Ray did a fair "Oh, Lonesome Me" on Vol. 2, but if I had to choose I'd go with Don Gibson's cool original. At least Don didn't have all them blaring horns in the way.

• Check Gaylads Fire and Rain. More Jamaican beauty...

• Mad Lads "by the time i get to phoenix"
    Dee Dee Warwick "i'm gonna make you love me"
    Bobby Hutcherson "suicide is painless"
    Sharon Forrester "silly wasn't i"
    Lee Mcdonald "we've only just begun"
    Al Green "for the good times"
    Al Green "how can you mend a broken heart?"
    All Scott Walkers Jaques Brel songs..

/L

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Nostalgia 77- Seven Nation Army...I dont give a fuck about the White Stripes or producer based stuff like this Nostalgia dude/Greyboy/ etc...but this shit is Fire! the singer is raw.

Really?

I think this was such a waste of vinyl - trash IMO, actually.

Now a *real* version of '.....army' is by Hard-Fi - only thing is, they haven't recorded it yet, it's just part of their live set. Heavy, heavy and I bet they'll drop it at Coachella.

And as for better cover versions of 5 tough tracks to cover, I'ld go for -

The Brite Set - Ain't no sunshine
    Marion Gaines Singers - Do your thing
    Deirdre Wilson Tabac - Get back
    Denis Robinson - Hard to handle
    Speedometer - Work it out

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Lonnie Smith

cheesey easy listening muzak crap.

That's crazy talk.

....and I'll say "My Little Red Book" by Love

• ....and I'll say "My Little Red Book" by Love
    Cosign!! Also Soul Vendors "swing easy" since it's really "fiddler on the roof"

/L

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

For me Wilson Pickett's version is also up there with Jimi's and I also love Johnny Halliday's cover. Who did the original?

• I like The Meters Wichita Lineman although you can't fuck with Glen Campbell
    Stevie - we can work it out
    Zombies-Summertime
    Cash - Hurt
    Caprells - Walk on by
    Sergio Mendes - Scarborough Fair

For me Wilson Pickett's version is also up there with Jimi's and I also love Johnny Halliday's cover. Who did the original?

The Leaves

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

The Leaves
    I listened to that album last night but couldn't really get into it. I'll listen to Hey Joe again tonight, though.

The Leaves
    I listened to that album last night but couldn't really get into it. I'll listen to Hey Joe again tonight, though.

I'm embarassed to say I've never heard of The Leaves but I'll have to track that down and hear how it sounds.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I am a huge fan of the White Stripes

So, Breezy, you basically like people with neck problems, right?

• I am a huge fan of the White Stripes

So, Breezy, you basically like people with neck problems, right?

This is Billy Corgan, not Jack White.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

This is Billy Corgan, not Jack White.

He's not JUST Billy Corgan, he is Breezy's image of the long gone sad with no reason 90's. He likes to pretend the Smashing Pumpkins are still around and the "1979" video still drives him to tears.

I like The Meters Wichita Lineman although you can't fuck with Glen Campbell
    Stevie - we can work it out
    Zombies-Summertime
    Cash - Hurt
    Caprells - Walk on by
    Caprells - Walk on by
    Sergio Mendes - Scarborough Fair[/b]

Which original are you referring to here? I think Scarborough Fair is literally centuries old.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    ...any soul cover of a non-soul song.

Yeah - I said it!

• ...any soul cover of a non-soul song.

Yeah - I said it!

Counter-example -> Stylistics - I can't help falling in love

(don't you think? )

• ...any soul cover of a non-soul song.

Yeah - I said it!

Counter-example -> Stylistics - I can't help falling in love

(don't you think? )

And Al Green "pretty woman" , not that i like Roys version at all but that is at least some kind of time document or early RnR hit et.c., what was the reverends excuse? Horrible song..

/L