covers that are WAY better than the original

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

HEY MISSB!

Dude...have you guys heard the Al Green verison? HOLY FUCK ! I loved it when Soul cats slay rock songs, it's really some musical "down with whitey" biz.

shirley bassey too! was actually bumpin both of those this week.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

HEY MISSB!

Dude...have you guys heard the Al Green verison? HOLY FUCK ! I loved it when Soul cats slay rock songs, it's really some musical "down with whitey" biz.

and Julie Driscoll

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

HEY MISSB!

and Julie Driscoll
    Hell yes.

• almost all Light My Fire versions - i'm just not a Doors fan (overload)

HEY MISSB!

and Julie Driscoll

Yeah I'd would have to ride for Juild Drizzy over Ms. Diamonds are forever.

but

Buddy Miles' "Down by the river"...its sons the CS&N version

I also remember a pre-hyphy Hogginthefogg playing me Dee Sharp's reggae-soul cover of Keni Burke's "rising to the top". Anyone have that for trade or know if it's been comped?

And even though not better, but still damn good Greyboy just did a version of the Whatnauts "Help is on the Way" on Ubiquity and I just coped a Disco version of Cymande's Brother on the Slide-Again not better, but still pretty damn good.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Q65 "GOMLW" - crunchy garage heavy goodness

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    Odetta- Take me to the Pilot

dont hate me... but i think jose felicianos version is better. we all have our own opinions though.

• Ramsey Lewis Them Changes

So ill.

• Odetta- Take me to the Pilot

dont hate me... but i think jose felicianos version is better. we all have our own opinions though.

HI J*USTIN

Speaking of Jose "the future is so bright I have to wear shades" Feliciano, His "Golden Lady" cover is pretty damn powerfull.

Ramsey Lewis Them Changes

So ill.

What about Bernard Purdie's version?

Ken Boothe - Everything I Own

yesyesyes.

this was a dedication a few weeks ago and there's nothing like hearing it on a proper sound system. it made my night.

• Brasil 66's cover of "For What It's Worth."

Brasil 66's cover of "For What It's Worth."

i think the original is damn good, but Latimore's version (slowed down to 2 or 3) is chilling. the back-up singers kill me every time.

• Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel? Can we go there?

Odetta- Take me to the Pilot

HI J*USTIN

Speaking of Jose "the future is so bright I have to wear shades" Feliciano, His "Golden Lady" cover is pretty damn powerfull.

Hi Patrick... sorry i havent cuddled... i mean, called.

im a big fan of JF now. never was before but hes got some killer LPs.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

Aretha covering most anything; Say A Little Prayer, Natural Woman, You've Got A Friend.

Almost any Bob Dylan cover is going to better than the original:
    Hendrix All Along The Watchtower, Like A Rolling Stone.
    Staple Singers: John Brown, Ballad Hollis Brown, Blowing In The Wind
    Nina Simone: I Shall Be Released

Co-sign on nearly all of these although I like Bob's Blowin' In the Wind best. Even Burt Bacharach says Aretha's take on I Say A Little Prayer is on another level to the one he recorded with Dionne.

I think the Gourds bluegrass version of Gin and Juice is way better than Snoop's.

I think the Gourds bluegrass version of Gin and Juice is way better than Snoop's.

cosign...!

and why dont we have a cosign graemlin?

Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel?

• The Bobby Womack cut of California Dreaming...
    Elanor Rigby- Four Tops...
    Ain't No Love Lost- Patti Jo..
    Work It Out- Speedometer

• co-sign:
    sharon jones "what have you done.."
    nostalgia 77 "7 nation army"

also:
    soulive f/dave matthews "joyful girl"
    feist "secret heart"
    aimee mann "one"

good in their own right:
    jaime callum "frontin'"
    jake one "let the drums speak"
    jodeci "lately" live

• Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel?

DENIED!

I dunno, as a younger wetter-mouthed digger I spent many a day digging for that "Lonnie album with them 'Can I kick it' drums". When finally scoring it ( I GOT IT FOR CHEAP) I realized this is some cheesey easy listening muzak crap. Wack Song=Wack Cover.

Jay Dilla's "Think Twice" Anyone? or should i take my kufi-ism's to the "donuts" thread?

Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel?

DENIED!

I dunno, as a younger wetter-mouthed digger I spent many a day digging for that "Lonnie album with them 'Can I kick it' drums". When finally scoring it ( I GOT IT FOR CHEAP) I realized this is some cheesey easy listening muzak crap. Wack Song=Wack Cover.

Jay Dilla's "Think Twice" Anyone? or should i take my kufi-ism's to the "donuts" thread?
    It's that weak? I never heard 'Drives' before, just the break. I guess I was smart for not spending $50 on that record.

Oh yeah, Dilla's 'Think Twice' cover is ill, IMO.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    why dont we have a cosign graemlin?

• Lonnie Smith - Spinning Wheel?

DENIED!

strongly disagree.

i got the og and the mid 70s black and blue reish for under $5 each in good shape.

that's besides the point.

Granted, not the greatest song to start with, but to call lonnie smith's version cheesey easy listening muzak crap is just wrong.

also, it's not just the can i kick it drums but also the can i kick it scratch/organ chorus breakdown and also i think this version of spinnning wheel was used for that one third bass song off derilects of dialect.

sheesh.

I will agree that it is not the best song on drives though. Psychadelic Pi is much better, but that's an original lonnie smith composition I believe, so that would explain why.

• a great version of baby blue was also done by Chocolate Watchband

• "Nobody But Me"-Human Beinz
    (don't get me wrong, I love the Isleys, but the Human Beinz reset the bar with their version)

"Fire & Rain"-Isley Brothers; Bobby Womack; Gladys Knight & the Pips (all superior to James Taylor)

"Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong"-Ray Charles (takes it to an angry level that the Whispers could only hint at)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    "Nobody But Me"-Human Beinz
    (don't get me wrong, I love the Isleys, but the Human Beinz reset the bar with their version)

"Fire & Rain"-Isley Brothers; Bobby Womack; Gladys Knight & the Pips (all superior to James Taylor)

"Seems Like I Gotta Do Wrong"-Ray Charles (takes it to an angry level that the Whispers could only hint at)

Ray Charles! Every song on this gem, and Vol 2 is better than the original.

Not that Hank Williams didn't do a good version of Hey Sweet Baby.

i think the original is damn good, but Latimore's version (slowed down to 2 or 3) is chilling. the back-up singers kill me every time.

dont sleep on the two versions of this by the Staple Singers (same recording, different mixes)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Brasil 66's cover of "For What It's Worth."

dont sleep on the two versions of this by the Staple Singers (same recording, different mixes)

this is really one of those songs where its hard to make a bad cover, but that don't mean that some people didn't succeed.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

what up YoungF*x?

Please never ever address the boy this way in public again...

I do not think it is very healthy for him.

this is really one of those songs where its hard to make a bad cover, but that don't mean that some people didn't succeed.

new thread...songs that trump the "singer not the song" rule..."songs its hard to make a bad cover of"...ready set go!