Your favorite tepid funk terds!

Comments

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    DONT STOP THE HATT NOW

true that! that shit is

Sure, it's mediocre, but it's also a ten dollar record. Ten dollar records, with some noteable and obvious exceptions, generally provide only ten dollars worth of music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I think K&TG 1st LP is superb.

Another favorite...

I think that was a joke--if you don't like that record, then you don't like funk. Hell, if you don't like that record, you don't like music.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the only thing that surprises me about Archie W. is how hard people think it is to find. I mean, it's not common but it comes up for sale more than once a year. I think I've had four copies over the last few years, I don't follow it on ebay or anything.

who said that archie whitewater was rare? i mean, it's on cadet concept. there are many copies on eBay and i see that record for sale on lists all the time. there has even been a uk pressing of it. i never found a copy in germany, but it has not been hard to find on the internet. it's not that rare. but it's still such a good record.

co-sign on black nasty, although i can somehow still enjoy the record from time to time. it's ok, but not ??ber-funky.

CO-SIGN on purdie. i don't like his solo records that much. his drumming sounds the same all the time and the tunes are not ??berly-funky. (ehhm, i think lialeh is totally overrated. )

I was simply covering all bases when refering to the Archie Whitewater as funky, and describing what I felt was it's formulaic approach to all genres. It is one of those LPs that has some standout tracks, but on the whole it is easy to see why it never caught on in any of those areas of fan interest at the time. Please do not let my lukewarm reception to this album impede you enjoyment of it! And if I had a dollar for each time some LP was mis-categorized or overblown on this site I would be rich rich RICH! I don's see anything psych about this LP besides it's admittedly awesome cover, and with all due respect Grope and Drew, I wouldn't shelve this in the Soul section either. Soulful, yes, but I think it sits proudly next to Blood Sweat & Tears, Chase and early Chicago (who, though they had their share of mediocrity over the years) can each boast LPs that have better songs in total than Archie Whitewater. I don't see much difference.

But hey, everyone on Soulstrut loves that AIR Lp on Embryo too, which I find to be unlistenable.

So keep the hatt movin and groovin'

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I was simply covering all bases when refering to the Archie Whitewater as funky, and describing what I felt was it's formulaic approach to all genres. It is one of those LPs that has some standout tracks, but on the whole it is easy to see why it never caught on in any of those areas of fan interest at the time. Please do not let my lukewarm reception to this album impede you enjoyment of it! And if I had a dollar for each time some LP was mis-categorized or overblown on this site I would be rich rich RICH! I don's see anything psych about this LP besides it's admittedly awesome cover, and with all due respect Grope and Drew, I wouldn't shelve this in the Soul section either. Soulful, yes, but I think it sits proudly next to Blood Sweat & Tears, Chase and early Chicago (who, though they had their share of mediocrity over the years) can each boast LPs that have better songs in total than Archie Whitewater. I don't see much difference.

But hey, everyone on Soulstrut loves that AIR Lp on Embryo too, which I find to be unlistenable.

Standout tracks? YESSSSS! But I like those others too. A lot! Different tastes, I guess.

But I hear you on AIR. L-l-l-lame.

Standout tracks? YESSSSS! But I like those others too. A lot! Different tastes, I guess.

This just turned into a 7-pager.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

who said that archie whitewater was rare? i mean, it's on cadet concept.

Cadet Concept does NOT = common. I'd like to find their Aesop's Fables album myself. Might be a regular sight on eBay (to those who think $10 is cheap), but not in the used record stores where I'm looking most of the time.

co-sign on black nasty, although i can somehow still enjoy the record from time to time. it's ok, but not ??ber-funky.

What did you expect? Well, since it has one foot in rock, it's not gonna resemble a "uber-funky" JB's record, or even a Texas funk compilation. Shouldn't judge it by those standards.

CO-SIGN on purdie. i don't like his solo records that much. his drumming sounds the same all the time

I feel the same way (that album on Mega is really horrid, and that depressing poem by Gil Scott-Heron doesn't help). However, I'd like to hear that Soul Drums album, since it's from the mid-sixties and looks like it leans more toward soul than jazz.

You know what other sessionman I think makes boring records? You're gonna throw me off the Strut for this one...Idris Muhammad. Great on other people's sessions, but...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I sure as hell wouldn't buy that Air record, but then again it doesn't look like my type of hype anyway.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

F.A.T is tepid. The Purdie is one slight step above tepid. Didn't think the Air LP was a funk album.

F.A.T is tepid. The Purdie is one slight step above tepid. Didn't think the Air LP was a funk album.

I don't think anyone is saying it's funk. I am saying it barely ranks as tepid.
    Is anyone under the impression this thread is on track? c'mon!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    But I know we can agree on The 'Mats -- accept for "Within Your Reach" because it has a drum machine.

I have Replacement bootleg raer with
    "Within Your Reach" live (on disaster open for Tom Petty tour),
    real drums and full band and it is a thing of beauty.

Replacements - Within Your Reach - Live 1989

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i just decided this thread is stupid

I think it's one of Faux's finest moments (no sarcasm)

to so concisely construct a post that actually prompts discussion on WHY people like/collect/value/hate takes a lot of skill.

More Terds Please.

• AaronAaron 977 Posts
    But I know we can agree on The 'Mats -- accept for "Within Your Reach" because it has a drum machine.

I have Replacement bootleg raer with
    "Within Your Reach" live (on disaster open for Tom Petty tour),
    real drums and full band and it is a thing of beauty.

Thanks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

please post links to good threads that are going on then. good threads =

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    this is an insanely stupid thread but like someone else just said, you have to credit Faux for baiting people on this site to show their musical asses and then it was just a matter of sitting back and watch all the fish jump onto the line.

Why don't we also start "tepid hip-hop", and "tepid soul" threads and make sure we cover all the cases?

sitting back and watch all the fish jump onto the line.

Call out all "fish" by name or you're soft

• I still don't see how anyone's "showing their asses", Oliver, anymore than say admitting to having owned Vic Juris.

I mean, we can all have tastes right? And can't we feel compelled to criticize records that someone, somewhere designated as pinnacles of any given musical genre?

• DONT STOP THE HATT NOW

true that! that shit is

Sure, it's mediocre, but it's also a ten dollar record. Ten dollar records, with some noteable and obvious exceptions, generally provide only ten dollars worth of music.

i spent $15 on it and i didnt even get a bucks worth of sound out of its miserable grooves

• But I hear you on AIR. L-l-l-lame.

wow. throw these men into the dungeon.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

The_Mack you don't know naan about disco so I'm going to pretend you didn't say anything....

it was a jab at Aaron for saying Trouble Man was tepid. i like tanna gardner. and no, i dont know "naan" about disco

• id rrank sould rums as purdies best. but still not that dope. at least its got funky donky. his other albums kinda suck.

ok. i'm throwing extra tepid terds out to the eastbound catalog. that shit is weaksauce all the way through. i havent heard "outlook" , but bill mason, hail cesar, smilin, crazy legs can all get a double flush.

wow. throw these men into the dungeon.

That's the spirit.

crazy legs

aw hell no.

• and for the record, i have listened to air and archie whitewater front to back many many many times. far from terdy

• bare knuckles and solomon king soundtracks should be crossed off any ones wantlists.

• crazy legs

aw hell no.

title track is good. thas it

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    So was this thread meant to be stupid in the first place? Pleae explain yourselves.

PS: Thank god we still have the Real Headz on Soulstrut

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

Also, I'm really tired of people justifying disliking an LP by raising the fact that people on this board like it. It's like an anti terd mentality mentality.

If you don't like the Air LP - fine. But seriously, who the fuck cares? How is that relevant? The person posting it was doing it in an attempt to say, "ha ha ha, the Soul Strut echo chamber is wack!" and really, that's besides the point.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

Also, I'm really tired of people justifying disliking an LP by raising the fact that people on this board like it. It's like an anti terd mentality mentality.

If you don't like the Air LP - fine. But seriously, who the fuck cares? How is that relevant? The person posting it was doing it in an attempt to say, "ha ha ha, the Soul Strut echo chamber is wack!" and really, that's besides the point.

what? i just cosigned on air. and tried to stop peole hating on Archie Whitewater. Don't blame me! I was never trying to "shit" on records. Just trying to make peace with Birdman9.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Plus, I was trying to be funny. Air is not that lame