Your favorite tepid funk terds!

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

one of my first records i bought in high school. this album has not gotten better with age.

Egregious antipopulism.

I personally prefer the Players' Westbound material--as I imagine most people on this site do--but a lot of that Mercury stuff is classic (in the real world sense, not the mind garden sense).

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Except for Kool and the Gang's first LP. And the Meters' Josie LPs.

What about the JB's?

• Just to be clear, I don't think funky=wack. I think that funky, devoid of other wonderful things like songwriting or singing chops ... = wack. I think most funk LPs are just not that good. But I am way more into soul and there are some soul records I love that others would not dig. I am into all manner of reggae and some folks think that sound is a one-trick pony. I think there is some incredible funk on 7" but 45s get very little attention on this site (other than from the Chicago & Detroit crew)

Oliver, as a counter to this negative ninny thread why don't you start a "funk ALBUMS which are not Tepid Funk Terds" thread... I guarantee you people's true colors will come out and you will be forced to defend all manner of mediocrity from these swine invested vermin with soggy meatloaf for brains and dead mice clogged in their ears.

• one of my first records i bought in high school. this album has not gotten better with age.

Egregious antipopulism.

I personally prefer the Players' Westbound material--as I imagine most people on this site do--but a lot of that Mercury stuff is classic (in the real world sense, not the mind garden sense).

Where can we learn more about this "real world" you speak of?

Just to be clear, I don't think funky=wack. I think that funky, devoid of other wonderful things like songwriting or singing chops ... = wack. I think most funk LPs are just not that good. But I am way more into soul and there are some soul records I love that others would not dig. I am into all manner of reggae and some folks think that sound is a one-trick pony. I think there is some incredible funk on 7" but 45s get very little attention on this site (other than from the Chicago & Detroit crew)

I knew what you meant--and I agree. I just don't understand why Oliver thinks that it's the consensus view on this site, since it seems like a minority position to me.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I live for slap-bass.

• yeah, I'm sure there's only a couple people on here who can appreciate good song writing, vocal chops, arrangements, cadence, dynamics, etc.

Most of us are mindless 4/4 drum beat seeking clones and our musical tastes will never hold a candle to this very select and exclusive group of uber-intelligent dudes who listen to that real schitt.

• I live for slap-bass.

cosign, even tho' you jest

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I live for slap-bass.

You mean FUNK slap bass, Modern Soul slap bass, or combinations like the above tepid LP that I enjoy on occasion?

I live for slap-bass.

bow-chicka-bow...

• yeah, I'm sure there's only a couple people on here who can appreciate good song writing, vocal chops, arrangements, cadence, dynamics, etc.
    Most of us are mindless 4/4 drum beat seeking clones and our musical tastes will never hold a candle to this very select and exclusive group of uber-intelligent dudes who listen to that real schitt.

Josh you and I may disagree about The Counts but I think you have really good taste

Here's a funk record I really like: Eddie Simpson Big Black Funky Slave

• I live for slap-bass.

bow-chicka-bow...

Does anyone know if the Seinfeld soundtrack ever came out on wax? I need that schitt in my life.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    I live for slap-bass.

bow-chicka-bow...

Does anyone know if the Seinfeld soundtrack ever came out on wax? I need that schitt in my life.

that was keyboard slap bass. night court on the other hand was the real deal.

yeah, I'm sure there's only a couple people on here who can appreciate good song writing, vocal chops, arrangements, cadence, dynamics, etc.

Don't worry; you're in the very select and exclusive group of uber-intelligent dudes who listen to that real schitt.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    I still don't see how anyone's "showing their asses", Oliver, anymore than say admitting to having owned Vic Juris.

I mean, we can all have tastes right? And can't we feel compelled to criticize records that someone, somewhere designated as pinnacles of any given musical genre?

I have Vic Juris' 'Roadsong' and I like that album. Fuck you.

I live for slap-bass.

bow-chicka-bow...

that was keyboard slap bass. night court on the other hand was the real deal.

true. and, the Night Court OST was pressed as a double 10"

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

true. and, the Night Court OST was pressed as a double 10"

...but only in Japan.

And back to JP and FR:

seriously fam, at this point, I really have NO idea what consensus opinions reside on the Strut, (which is why I created that other post).

And dude, there's no need to start a "funk albums that are not terdy" thread since we have about three posts of those a day in various forms. Basically, every other "look what I found" thread qualifies.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    nein, nein , nein ,Geschlecht mit habend Frauen beim H??ren zu "cross country" is the best thing evar.

Hahahahaha! More PLEASE! More.

Here are some translations (google machine) from English to German and back to English again:

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

This thread is hate over. Not 100%, but mostly, "let us shit on recordings, this is other people value", if I missed something, plaese me to train.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I missed this last point: at what point was Black Nasty ever designated as a "pinnacle" LP of funk? Or Archie Whitewater? Or The Counts? Or...

Just seems to me there's a lot of straw men being set up and then lit on fire.

Ich vermi??te diesen letzten Punkt: an was Punkt war das Schwarze ??berhaupt gekennzeichnet als "Pinnacle" Langspielplatte der riesiger Angst b??ses? Oder Archie Whitewater? Oder Die Z??hlimpulse? Oder..., Gerade mir scheint ist eine Menge Strohm??nner, die und beleuchtete aufgestellt werden dann, auf Feuer.

into

I missed this last point: the black, at which point was all characterized as a "Pinnacle" long playing record of the enormous fear bad? Or Archie Whitewater? Or the Counting Pulses? Or... Straight, to me, is a quantity of stooges seems, those and lit up to be set up then, on fires.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I mean dude look at that embarassment to human cognitive ability that is the five-star album thread, which putrid piece of wildabeast excrement put that together?

No doubt!

Ich bedeute Geckblick an dieser Verlegenheit zur menschlichen kognitiven F??higkeit, die das F??nfsternalbumgewinde ist, dem putridst??ck wildabeastausscheidung das zusammenf??gte?

kein zweifel

INTO

I mean gag view at this embarrassment to the human cognitive ability, which is the five-star album thread, which putrid piece joined wildly a beast elimination?

no doubt

• I still don't see how anyone's "showing their asses", Oliver, anymore than say admitting to having owned Vic Juris.

I mean, we can all have tastes right? And can't we feel compelled to criticize records that someone, somewhere designated as pinnacles of any given musical genre?

I have Vic Juris' 'Roadsong' and I like that album. Fuck you.

I'm really sorry to hear that

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I like the Counts' Westbound album. [/b]

• I like the Bar-Kays Gotta Groove LP. I like selling What's Up Front That Counts

• I own Zapp I.

Nite Liters Analysis has always been a favorite.

I am a fan of the 24 Karat Black.

Vic Juris blows a three legged donkey afflicted with elephantitis of the ballsac. His tepid fusion ways will make you bleed diarreah from your ears. Don't step to it.

You guys burn my ass.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Paycheck, I'm come to NYC to take our beef into the real world. Prepare yourself for a world of pain. All I ask is that you have someone on the ready to hold my glasses.

• Paycheck, I'm come to NYC to take our beef into the real world. Prepare yourself for a world of pain. All I ask is that you have someone on the ready to hold my glasses.

I'm ready dude. Jazz fusion turns me into a scalding hot ball of fury that destroys everything within a 3 square block radius.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Paycheck, I'm come to NYC to take our beef into the real world. Prepare yourself for a world of pain. All I ask is that you have someone on the ready to hold my glasses.

I'm ready dude. Jazz fusion turns me into a scalding hot ball of fury that destroys everything within a 3 square block radius.

Hattbird

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

• EXACTLY