Your favorite tepid funk terds!

Comments

• This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

What you're missing is that there are a huge amount of records out there that suck - totally mediocre - and have value placed upon them by people on a quest to prop up anything old and funky. Casualties of the rare groove craze! I mean, Oliver, by your own admission your collection is rife with crappy records that you were picking up because they had one funky cut or sample or something on them. I don't see anything in this thread that screams "hatting for hatting's sake"... you're a little defensive... because maybe you liked records at one point that you now realize are pretty lukewarm? Because you spent time and money collecting records that even you would now call, in the privacy of your own mind garden, a terd? We all have, nothing to be defensive about, but don't get your panties up in a knot over The Counts

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

What you're missing is that there are a huge amount of records out there that suck - totally mediocre - and have value placed upon them by people on a quest to prop up anything old and funky. Casualties of the rare groove craze! I mean, Oliver, by your own admission your collection is rife with crappy records that you were picking up because they had one funky cut or sample or something on them. I don't see anything in this thread that screams "hatting for hatting's sake"... you're a little defensive... because maybe you liked records at one point that you now realize are pretty lukewarm? Because you spent time and money collecting records that even you would now call, in the privacy of your own mind garden, a terd? We all have, nothing to be defensive about, but don't get your panties up in a knot over The Counts

It has nothing to do with the individual LPs being named here. I might actually agree over the terd-itude of the records being named but to me, the general demeanor of the thread is negative. Nothing you wrote above denies that...sounds like we disagree over the severity of that negativity.

Seriously, what is the point of this thread again? To note the amount of overrated, mediocre LPs out there? Isn't that like walking outside and saying, "hey look, the sun is bright?"

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    sorry...

• one of my first records i bought in high school. this album has not gotten better with age.

i wasnt feeling the archie whitewater until i-tunes pulled that "cross country" tune on a random and i had to go back and check what it was. not a great one from start to finish, but its got some merits.

• This thread is hate for the sake of. Not 100%, but mostly, it's a "let's shit on records that other people place value on." If I missed something, plaese to school me.

It has nothing to do with the individual LPs being named here. I might actually agree over the terd-itude of the records being named but to me, the general demeanor of the thread is negative. Nothing you wrote above denies that...sounds like we disagree over the severity of that negativity.

Seriously, what is the point of this thread again? To note the amount of overrated, mediocre LPs out there? Isn't that like walking outside and saying, "hey look, the sun is bright?"

yall are way too meta cognitive all the damn time. lets talk terds
    this thread is

I still don't see how anyone's "showing their asses", Oliver, anymore than say admitting to having owned Vic Juris.

I mean, we can all have tastes right? And can't we feel compelled to criticize records that someone, somewhere designated as pinnacles of any given musical genre?

I missed this last point: at what point was Black Nasty ever designated as a "pinnacle" LP of funk? Or Archie Whitewater? Or The Counts? Or...

Just seems to me there's a lot of straw men being set up and then lit on fire.

BTW,

FIVE PAGES.

Faux, you a rebel on this beat board!

• I still don't see how anyone's "showing their asses", Oliver, anymore than say admitting to having owned Vic Juris.

I mean, we can all have tastes right? And can't we feel compelled to criticize records that someone, somewhere designated as pinnacles of any given musical genre?

I missed this last point: at what point was Black Nasty ever designated as a "pinnacle" LP of funk? Or Archie Whitewater? Or The Counts? Or...

Just seems to me there's a lot of straw men being set up and then lit on fire.

Well, within this thread alone The Counts has been referred to as "classic". Archie Whitewater I wouldn't call funk at all but it's one of my favorite albums. I've heard Black Nasty being bandied about on this site as if it were a great musical statement with conceptual arc but it is a steaming pile of hot lamb scat.

I mean dude look at that embarassment to human cognitive ability that is the five-star album thread, which putrid piece of wildabeast excrement put that together?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I mean dude look at that embarassment to human cognitive ability that is the five-star album thread, which putrid piece of wildabeast excrement put that together?

No doubt!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    i wasnt feeling the archie whitewater until i-tunes pulled that "cross country" tune on a random and i had to go back and check what it was. not a great one from start to finish, but its got some merits.

• Although faux gets credit for starting the thread, I get credit for mentioning Archie Whitewater. And no it's not really funk, but I had to share my hatt somewhere and this seemed to be the best place. Before I posted it here I thought I was the ONLY person on soulstrut who considered this a $60 Blood Sweat and Tears record. Now I know that I'm not alone and it makes me feel better inside.

Oliver as usual you are missing the point, that terd mentality is a subtle form of coersion / oppression and people have to fight back when it seems like they are the only ones who don't like something. It isn't about negativity but getting it off your chest that you are not part of the terd.

Although faux gets credit for starting the thread, I get credit for mentioning Archie Whitewater. And no it's not really funk, but I had to share my hatt somewhere and this seemed to be the best place. Before I posted it here I thought I was the ONLY person on soulstrut who considered this a $60 Blood Sweat and Tears record. Now I know that I'm not alone and it makes me feel better inside.

Oliver as usual you are missing the point, that terd mentality is a subtle form of coersion / oppression and people have to fight back when it seems like they are the only ones who don't like something. It isn't about negativity but getting it off your chest that you are not part of the terd.

"a subtle form of coersion/oppression"? Dude, c'mon. Even I, who overstate everything, would balk at this characterization. It's just opinions about records; no one's forcing anyone to go out and buy (or not buy) anything.

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    people have to fight back when it seems like they are the only ones who don't like something.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    You guys are confusing me. What's happening in here? Soulstrut is getting crazier each day. Strange stuff. I'm translating most of this into German and it ends up in nonsense. Is it me or you?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    your answer lies here its the

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Yeah, but for me or them?

• people have to question their own taste in music[/b] when it seems like they are the only ones who don't like something.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Funk records are boring.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Them,they are the ones that think most of these albums are terds.

• Funk records are boring.

That's all that really needs to be said

• ryanryan 334 Posts
    people have to question their own taste in music[/b] when it seems like they are the only ones who don't like something.

please see cartoon above.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Them,they are the ones that think most of these albums are terds.

Ahhhhh! Relieved!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    You guys are confusing me. What's happening in here? Soulstrut is getting crazier each day. Strange stuff. I'm translating most of this into German and it ends up in nonsense. Is it me or you?

Ist ein halber Witz aber lies dies.

Es erklaert viel ueber dass Dasein von den "Tragically Hipsters" die deises Ding populiren.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Es erklaert viel ueber dass Dasein von den "Tragically Hipsters" die deises Ding populiren.

Ahahahahahahahaha! Your German is fantastic! "Es erklaert viel ueber dass Dasein von den "Tragically Hipsters" die deises Ding populiren." Best thing on Soulstrut evarrrr! Haha! You're funny! Please write more in German. Mehr bitte, gn??diger Herr.

• You guys are confusing me. What's happening in here? Soulstrut is getting crazier each day. Strange stuff. I'm translating most of this into German and it ends up in nonsense. Is it me or you?

Ahahahahahahahaha! Your German is fantastic! "Es erklaert viel ueber dass Dasein von den "Tragically Hipsters" die deises Ding populiren." Best thing on Soulstrut evarrrr! Haha! You're funny! Please write more in German. Mehr bitte, gn??diger Herr.

nein, nein , nein ,Geschlecht mit habend Frauen beim H??ren zu "cross country" is the best thing evar.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Although faux gets credit for starting the thread, I get credit for mentioning Archie Whitewater. And no it's not really funk, but I had to share my hatt somewhere and this seemed to be the best place. Before I posted it here I thought I was the ONLY person on soulstrut who considered this a $60 Blood Sweat and Tears record. Now I know that I'm not alone and it makes me feel better inside.

"a subtle form of coersion/oppression"? Dude, c'mon. Even I, who overstate everything, would balk at this characterization. It's just opinions about records; no one's forcing anyone to go out and buy (or not buy) anything.

Oliver,

I am sorry if I got off tangent in this thread, but it's not like this was a wholly serious prospect from the jump. This was one of those threads that questions the veracity of something that is super subjective, collector tastes and trends. There are so many people here who are coming at music from so many different places and perspectives. Without a place to question these perspectives and aesthetic references, it is really easy to fall into the trap of believing that everyone has a similar opinion or frame of reference. That's why I love these types of discussions. They really open up a window to WHY people come to the conclusions they do and what moves them/doesn't move them. It ain't personal, and to me the only wrong answers are thinking that you know it all for everyone else.

I would rather see 10 contentious threads like this than one more vomitous-jpeg-orgy-I-love-every-fucking-jazz-LP-ever-released-spooj-a-thon. Boooooring. No offense to whoever started these, but 10 "recommend-me-an-'insert-genre-here'-LP" is just not needed on even Record Day!

• shit, I love the "What's Up Front That Counts" lp. Pretty unique sound they had on that record, their best effort imho. In my mind garden I would even deem it as a "classic".

so sue me

p.s. doo wop disco!

Birdman,

I'd totally agree with you except that I don't hear a lot of explaining as to what makes an album tepid or not. Most of the replies here have been "I think this is boring" vs. "But wait, I really like this." I think the only LP that really got people to step up was that Archie Whitewater which, as most have argued, is sort of misclassified here since it's not a "funk" album in any real way, shape or form.

In any case, the terd mentality around these parts, these days is that funky = wack (or at least, way overrated). So this whole thread is basically "let's confirm that most funky LPs are, in actuality, wack." Except for Kool and the Gang's first LP. And the Meters' Josie LPs.

Jury is still out over "Trouble Man." I'm with JP on that one though. Album is great.

Oliver,

I am sorry if I got off tangent in this thread, but it's not like this was a wholly serious prospect from the jump. This was one of those threads that questions the veracity of something that is super subjective, collector tastes and trends. There are so many people here who are coming at music from so many different places and perspectives. Without a place to question these perspectives and aesthetic references, it is really easy to fall into the trap of believing that everyone has a similar opinion or frame of reference. That's why I love these types of discussions. They really open up a window to WHY people come to the conclusions they do and what moves them/doesn't move them. It ain't personal, and to me the only wrong answers are thinking that you know it all for everyone else.

I would rather see 10 contentious threads like this than one more vomitous-jpeg-orgy-I-love-every-fucking-jazz-LP-ever-released-spooj-a-thon. Boooooring. No offense to whoever started these, but 10 "recommend-me-an-'insert-genre-here'-LP" is just not needed on even Record Day!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

In any case, the terd mentality around these parts, these days is that funky = wack (or at least, way overrated). So this whole thread is basically "let's confirm that most funky LPs are, in actuality, wack." Except for Kool and the Gang's first LP. And the Meters' Josie LPs.

How is that the terd mentality? While a number of people may think it, Jonny's pretty much the only person that articulates it with any regularity.

As far as I can tell, most dudes on this site still go to sleep at night clutching their TFTs close to their Star Wars-print jammies.