What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

Comments

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

The stuff happening in your thread is illegal for a good reason.

What is the good reason that sharing rare out of print records is illegal?

'cause it's .

it's still illegal. you guys are out of control... really. you're taking someones work and misuse it. you don't get that?

Is bootlegging cool? It's either an official reissue or straight stealing! Which part don't you people get?

some of those albums in that thread aren't even that hard to get. you just need money to buy those records. and of course, those records are out-of-print. but that doesn't justify copying mp3s to your hard disc. most george michael cds are out of print too!

• I just listened to 4 clips. I couldn't resist. I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP (speaking about well played music). Some of those Funk musiians didn't play that well...
    DLing 4 albums doesn't mean that I'm wack. I didn't save the clips...
    - you're right though.

Sorry Grope, but this really comes off as some elitist BS. Not even the hatting on a Whatnauts LP, but this crap about "It's not about the music."

Maybe it's because I don't fuck with soulseek, don't go looking for mad MP3's all the time, that I think the album upload thread is awesome. I have spent hours every week for decades, thousands of dollars a year, just digging & collecting records to listen to and share with others, either on my stereo or on the radio..."it's about the music"...and the fact that on one rainy weekend my fellow Soul Strut members and I decided to share some of our prized albums, let our peers hear some amazing music they may not have otherwise, that seems extremely cool and selfless to me. The albums I uploaded to that thread took work. I didn't have my Tommie Young as an MP3 format, so I had to hook my mixer up to my PC, record each individual track, make a folder, zip it, and spend an hour uploading it to you-send-it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on some "woe is me, MP3 sharing is hard work!" kick, but I think there was a genuine effort being made by people on here to share some great music with each other, some time and effort put in, and the reward for those who share was the ability to own an audio copy of, say, "East of Underground," one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard. I don't generally keep tons of music on my PC, I'm not an MP3 collector, so for me personally, that thread was a lot of fun and gave me something I didn't already have, some nice rare records to listen to on my computer.

I understand you. I know why you started that thread. It's just kinda silly what that thread turned into. Like someone said (O-Dub?) you should have (actually the moderators) set some limitation. The stuff happening in your thread is illegal for a good reason. I know you wanted to share. I appreciate that.

I listened to some records at record day and even posted an mp3. i kept it in low quality though. on purpose...

Dude, this is just plain wierd..
    Down here it is also illegal to play music in a club, shop, cafe, gathering, etc... anywhere public without recording the song titles & artist names. It is supposed to be handed to the club owners, etc... & they are supposed to send it off to A.P.R.A. (Australasian Performing Right Association). So theoretically the artists can collect royalties. But it isn't enforced, but is still ILLEGAL. Do you make sure that the artists are compensated everytime you spin? Probably not.

And you saying that you purposely recorded your ONE uploaded MP3 at a low bitrate sounds like you are a heaven sent martyr & champion of all artists. You forget that most of the albums uploaded aren't exactly easily available & that most probably don't even have the rights to them, etc.. (or something similiar). It's a way of exposing others to items of interest. The fact that they will only be uploaded for a week or 25 downloads is different than having them posted permanently. It's like a one-off scenario. Get 'em while you can. And knowledge on here is free. Though looks like I will be paypalling the Strut some $$$ out of appreciation.

You are just coming off a bit righteous & a bit precious & basically dissing everyone who shared on that thread.
    And buying secondhand music means that the artists still never see a red cent. Whereas if you buy NEW music, you are supporting contemporary artists.

And no, your English is actually quite good.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I didn't start that thread, Grope. Just participated in it. And your statement of how you shared "low quality" MP3's on record day is indicative of your whole approach to music, which is to say, IMO, elitist. Nothing wrong with that especially, and certainly not unusual for this site or record collecting in general - I just don't swing that way. I think good music - and knowledge about good music - should be shared. That's just me.

sorry, i didn't follow that thread. I thought you were trying to say that you started that thread because you wanted to share. please excuse.

and i'm no elitist! i like to share. how often do i have to tell that? good music should be shared in the right way. i really don't dig soulseek or any other file sharing program. i'm no elitist. anyone can buy records or cds. i don't want to open up a club for real heads or so. i'm just concerned about the way some poeple treat their records (music). it's not like you own the music on your records. it's not yours. you're far from being responsible for spreading music other people recorded. you're no distributor or record company.

the file i shared wasn't in such a bad quality. and why would you only call it sharing when the sound quality was perfect? i still tried to share. i wanted you all to hear one of my favorite tracks. what did i do wrong? were you better than me? shame on me?

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    I swear, half the people on this site don't even bother to read the posts that they're responding to before clicking the "Continue" button...

That's why some people on other boards have this saying: RCP[/b]

Read ---> Comprehend ---> Post[/b]

• The stuff happening in your thread is illegal for a good reason.

What is the good reason that sharing rare out of print records is illegal?

'cause it's .

it's still illegal. you guys are out of control... really. you're taking someones work and misuse it. you don't get that?

Is bootlegging cool? It's either an official reissue or straight stealing! Which part don't you people get?

some of those albums in that thread aren't even that hard to get. you just need money to buy those records. and of course, those records are out-of-print. but that doesn't justify copying mp3s to your hard disc. most george michael cds are out of print too!

Misuse???
    Bro, who's to say that people aren't going to buy what they hear? I'm sure as hell going to track some shit down.

Man you'd better settle down before the heavyweights on here start on you. Why are you on this site? I'm here to be educated & the best way is to actually hear what people are talking about. Is that so wrong? We are all partaking in a process where none of the original artists are getting paid from our habits. Unless it is an authorised re-issue. So what gives?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Dude, this is just plain wierd..
    Down here it is also illegal to play music in a club, shop, cafe, gathering, etc... anywhere public without recording the song titles & artist names. It is supposed to be handed to the club owners, etc... & they are supposed to send it off to A.P.R.A. (Australasian Performing Right Association). So theoretically the artists can collect royalties. But it isn't enforced, but is still ILLEGAL. Do you make sure that the artists are compensated everytime you spin? Probably not.

you don't have to do that. club owners have to pay a flat rate over here. that's what i heard at least. i'm not trying to argue about copyrights though. i just thought that album mp3 thread was a bit too much. i'm not dissing anyone. i'm just not feeling that thread... i didn't say "people posting mp3s are lame". i just thought that whole idea kinda overshot the mark...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

I asked that DJ to play a song off a compilation. i'm not hating on compilations. I was just bugging becasue that dude didn't even know that the "Creative Musicians" track by the Lyman Woodard Organization was on his "Creative Musicians" compilation. What's up with that???

they know NOTHING about the musicians or records itself.

i see what your saying man but there's a long long held tradition of DJ's who could give two shits about their records, i nthe sense of WHO made them. What about soaking labels off? you think dudes made sure they had dupes on every record they did that too or made notes on titles so they wouldnt forget?? what about old school dj's who didnt even own the records they spun??? dudes like bamabatta supplied the crates but yooung kids with better skills got to drop the cuts.. without knowing WTF they were playing other than that they were told "yo drop this one next"

DJing is not an educational leason where you get on the mic and tell the audience "yo yo... EXCLUSIVE!!! ... picked up this rare jam with so and so on drums at the flea this morning.. yall know its gonan be good cause it was produced by so and so..." ... might need to be told to some northern dudes...

extensive record knowlede and dj skills dont neccesarily have anythign to do with each other.

Like that dude that told me he was a producer and that he owns thousands of records, but he still doesn't know Jimmy Smith. WTF?
    He listened to the Landlord OST (I gave that one to him), but he didn't hear a "drum break". He didn't know what a drum break is. HE DIDN'T KNOW!!!

well theres alot of dudes out there who would straight clown on anyone who calls themselves a producer but has never recorded a MUSICIAN in his career. Let alone "produces" on a drum machine. I mean does this dude know what a major 7th chord is? Can he orchestrate a string session? does he know how to patch a gate? de ess vocals?

has he ever booked a session that wasnt in his crib??

not to clown on this dude.. but you're calling him a wack producer cause he doesnt know what a drum break is???? ... you think George Martin gives two shits about a drum break??

the term producer in the HIP HOP sense is a straight joke to the vast majority of mulletted satin sabian jacket wearing dudes who get called producers by the rest of the music industry.

• Dude, this is just plain wierd..

you don't have to do that. club owners have to pay a flat rate over here. that's what i heard at least. i'm not trying to argue about copyrights though. i just thought that album mp3 thread was a bit too much. i'm not dissing anyone. i'm just not feeling that thread... i didn't say "people posting mp3s are lame". i just thought that whole idea kinda overshot the mark...

I downloaded a shitload of the'Random Rap Raer' MP3s becasue I saw a heap on there that I had always wanted to hear & have never ever been able to hear them. Was I supposed to not download them at all? Should I also not listen to the radio (which one can nowadays record, edit & turn into an MP3 anyway)?

Yes the thread did get out of control, but I know nothing about psych rock/folk/Euro Jazz & my latin knowledge is sorely inadequate. This has been the best way to educate myself. I live in a very unfunky/soulful country where all this type of music (cept mayeb psych rock/folk) is very hard to find & didn't travel down here in the 60s/70s in any great quantity. So that thread is like manna from the gods & not very lame at all.

Your opinion has been duly noted & I respect that, but let some of us enjoy the education.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Misuse???

Bro, who's to say that people aren't going to buy what they hear? I'm sure as hell going to track some shit down.

Yeah, we will probably track down some "shit", but then
    we are all partaking in a process where none of the original artists are getting paid from our habits.

Man you'd better settle down before the heavyweights on here start on you.

you're getting angry here! why do you threaten me? this is an internet forum. i was allowed to say what i think about posting mp3s, right? did i harm anyone? what did i do that got you so angry? which heavyweight will start on me? why? if there's someting to be said, why don't you say it? Why do we need heavyweights in here. i want to hear that stuff from you.

Why are you on this site?

to give and get some info. to tell you about my opinions. chatting, talking, having fun. asking questions. meeting people.

I'm here to be educated & the best way is to actually hear what people are talking about. Is that so wrong?

why don't you educate me then? what am i missing. i didn't mean to harm anyone or hate on that mp3 thread. i'm just not feeling that thread. it's not like i hate you. i was just thinking that some mp3s were not recorded by posters themselves. which is not ok to me. posting mp3s of super rare and unknown records that you recorded by yourself is something totally different... i was just concerned about some records being revealed, plus, i cared about stealing mp3s from other people/boards...

I think I want to quit this thread. I didn't want anyone to get upset. I was just trying to tell everyone that I had some bad experiences lately. It started with people that stole theecasualmale's and Soulman's artwork and ended up in clubs with horrible digging experiences in my hometown. i was concerned about the attitude of some youngsters that talked shit to me...

NEVERMIND THOUGH... THREAD OVER[/b]

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

I asked that DJ to play a song off a compilation. i'm not hating on compilations. I was just bugging becasue that dude didn't even know that the "Creative Musicians" track by the Lyman Woodard Organization was on his "Creative Musicians" compilation. What's up with that???

they know NOTHING about the musicians or records itself.

i see what your saying man but there's a long long held tradition of DJ's who could give two shits about their records, i nthe sense of WHO made them. What about soaking labels off? you think dudes made sure they had dupes on every record they did that too or made notes on titles so they wouldnt forget?? what about old school dj's who didnt even own the records they spun??? dudes like bamabatta supplied the crates but yooung kids with better skills got to drop the cuts.. without knowing WTF they were playing other than that they were told "yo drop this one next"

DJing is not an educational leason where you get on the mic and tell the audience "yo yo... EXCLUSIVE!!! ... picked up this rare jam with so and so on drums at the flea this morning.. yall know its gonan be good cause it was produced by so and so..." ... might need to be told to some northern dudes...

extensive record knowlede and dj skills dont neccesarily have anythign to do with each other.

never mind. i don't think i could proove my point. nevermind...

Like that dude that told me he was a producer and that he owns thousands of records, but he still doesn't know Jimmy Smith. WTF?
    He listened to the Landlord OST (I gave that one to him), but he didn't hear a "drum break". He didn't know what a drum break is. HE DIDN'T KNOW!!!

well theres alot of dudes out there who would straight clown on anyone who calls themselves a producer but has never recorded a MUSICIAN in his career. Let alone "produces" on a drum machine. I mean does this dude know what a major 7th chord is? Can he orchestrate a string session? does he know how to patch a gate? de ess vocals?

has he ever booked a session that wasnt in his crib??

not to clown on this dude.. but you're calling him a wack producer cause he doesnt know what a drum break is???? ... you think George Martin gives two shits about a drum break??

the term producer in the HIP HOP sense is a straight joke to the vast majority of mulletted satin sabian jacket wearing dudes who get called producers by the rest of the music industry.

never mind... i get what you're telling me... please excuse... i'll shut up from now on... it's all perfect...

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    grope its all good man...

just wanted to flip the coin for you

and floss that mutt lange headshot

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

what's a mutt lange headshot???

• I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP

Don't talk about it. Be about it.

Sayin'. Bring 'em out, then.

I got my mouse ready...

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts

what's a mutt lange headshot???

Robert "Mutt" Lange. Rock producer, married to Shania Twain. The guy in the picture in dubious' post.

• edubedub 715 Posts

About that album MP3 thread:
    Most newbies are on the hunt for some true rarities right from the beginning. They don't know much, but can already post on internet forums about great records or, for god's sake (this is boring me - IT'S NOT ABOUT MUSIC ONLY!!!) great music. They are fully equiped. Look at that album MP3 thread. I doubt that all the people posting links to album MP3s got the actual vinyl. And I doubt that most people stealing MP3s know where their MP3 came from. It's still straight stealing. I downloaded 4 MP3s just because I'm curious about certain albums that I'll never see in my life (I still feel bad about downloading those clips). But I'd never post up an album. It's still wack. It truly is.

OK, I'm just going to jump in on this one. Your guilt is your own issue - deal with it. Don't try to apply it to some vinyl collecting culture, as a whole. I can think of many legitimate reasons for downloading a few of those albums. For one, being a somewhat hobbyist vinyl collector, without a DJ gig, or producer credits, I collect what I like to listen to, and get great ideas from Soulstrut. Albums like Kusini, Xingu etc are legendary, and I doubt I'll ever have a real opportunity to purchase an OG. Does that mean that I should never have the pleasure of listening to it? Fuck no - I'm gonna download it to check it out!

The album download thread got turned into a monster it was never intended to be. Siro started it off with "upload an album you enjoy listening to at the moment", as a way for others to get into some new music, regardless of its rarity. If you look at the first several posts, they were not holy grails, but eventually people probably felt they had to up the ante - I dunno. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't know why you think people posting up these albums didn't do the legwork to get the OG vinyl. It's not that hard to record a vinyl album to mp3, you know?. Of course now any Timmy Digalot can download them, but what should that matter?

Finally, as for album uploading being wack - welcome to the 21st century... we have computers as a medium overtaking cassette tapes. People don't burn dubs on tape to share with others - they upload them to the web. I find the rationale for your guilt to be myopic, but I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about something, just allow me to disagree with you.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I don't want to repeat what everyone else has already written but am I the only person who think Grope was actually supposed to be named "Gripe" but his finger slipped? The other handle fits better.

No offense of course.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Grope,

You made some good points and I can tell you're a true music lover, but you got yourself wrapped up in the wrong crowd. Discussing and comparing yourself to those people you disdain will get you nowhere. We've all been there and everybody beats their own path, no ayo. Find those that are truly passionate about the kinds of music, records, and art you are into and your concerns about "newbies" should melt away. Seriously.

Also, I'm also very scared/pleased to hear that random lurkers in Germany are adapting "soulstrut lingo and logos"

• Also, do you dudes really lug big want lists around? I find them limiting, plus they can't steal what's inside your head.

what's a 'want list'?

• I'm just confused about people that got all that heat, but still don't know any names... they earn money by spinning records (200 Euro a night). But they don't know anything about their own collection.

this is very TRUE ......I once saw someone that was allowed by a record store to pick like 14 cds, open it and listen.....

I asked to the owner, "hey why HE CAN DO THAT, while I've never seen any average client open mint cds and listen BEFORE buying it ? ?"

he sinply answer :"He is a DJ" .....

like he had some special license that average customes doesn't have

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Misuse???
    we are all partaking in a process where none of the original artists are getting paid from our habits.

most of those artists have allready been payed for their albums. they would probably be happy to know their music gets downloaded over the net. the ones more likely to get mad are the recordlabels - if they still exist... and maybe the recordstore owners.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

OK, I'm just going to jump in on this one. Your guilt is your own issue - deal with it. Don't try to apply it to some vinyl collecting culture, as a whole. I can think of many legitimate reasons for downloading a few of those albums. For one, being a somewhat hobbyist vinyl collector, without a DJ gig, or producer credits, I collect what I like to listen to, and get great ideas from Soulstrut. Albums like Kusini, Xingu etc are legendary, and I doubt I'll ever have a real opportunity to purchase an OG. Does that mean that I should never have the pleasure of listening to it? Fuck no - I'm gonna download it to check it out!

i don't have any problem with downloading music. why didn't you read my posts! i said: i don't understand how anyone these days is able download any album for free. i don't like how some people do not know to appreciate other people that are UPLOADING rare stuff for them. I have met very strange people lately who download ANY album they can "get their mouse on". they don't care about the music. hell, they even start talking bad about records and record collecting. they don't understand record store owners and their pricing system. never experienced that? well, i did. there are very snobbish, spoiled kids out there!

one more thing: would you be ready to pay a few Dollars for a download? just to give something back? Well, I am!
    I send sound clips to friends of mine. they send back some stuff to me. no big deal. but having access to any record on the world without paying or giving back is just wrong! young kids are getting spoiled by that. trust me!!! i do not have any problem with music lovers that download their most wanted album that they'll atually never see or can afford in their life. i just get sick of people (like my girlfriend's dad or some guys i went digging with or some local DJs) who download hundreds of albums each week, just to KNOW IT ALL and be play big dude!

The album download thread got turned into a monster it was never intended to be. Siro started it off with "upload an album you enjoy listening to at the moment", as a way for others to get into some new music, regardless of its rarity. If you look at the first several posts, they were not holy grails, but eventually people probably felt they had to up the ante - I dunno. There's nothing wrong with that. I don't know why you think people posting up these albums didn't do the legwork to get the OG vinyl. It's not that hard to record a vinyl album to mp3, you know?. Of course now any Timmy Digalot can download them, but what should that matter?

i just know that some people haven't recorded the mp3 they posted themselves. i know it!!!
    downloading itself doesn't matter to me. i just have problems with lurkers who download anything they can and use that stuff for their DJ jobs or to show off. i repeat: i don not have anything against downloading in general. i just don't understand why anybody can download anything for free.

Finally, as for album uploading being wack - welcome to the 21st century... we have computers as a medium overtaking cassette tapes. People don't burn dubs on tape to share with others - they upload them to the web. I find the rationale for your guilt to be myopic, but I'm not gonna tell you how to feel about something, just allow me to disagree with you.

cool, i still send cassette to friends. i'm living in the 21st century too! that's that!

I NEVER WANTED TO HATE ON THE ALBUM MP3 THREAD. SOME PEOPLE MISUNDERSTOOD MY POSTS. AFTER A WHILE, I JUST FELT LIKE SAYING SOMETHING ABOUT THAT ALBUM MP3 THREAD. I STILL THINK IT WENT A LITTLE TOO BIG. But I won't complain about it anymore. I don't hate on people who download albums from that thread. I downloaded some stuff too. I just wanted to express that I feel strange about free access for anyone in that thread.

I did not get mad while posting. I never intended to sound harsh. I just felt like starting a post about some spoiled kids I've met. I think I started this in a very wrong way. My English is too bad to say what I really want to say. It took me half an hour just to write this post!!!

GAME OVER, PLEASE??? PLEASE???[/b]

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    It don't matter if you cop the record from your local spot, bought it overseas or download the MP3. No artist is seeing dough...even off of most authorized re-issues thats the case. The cats who deserve to be pissed about that thread are Store owners, dudes who spend a whole lot of time trying to get the good shit up on the wall for motherfuckers.

With that said....If you are cool with just having these things on MP3..we are not in it for the same reason. I don't feel complete till that shit is in my house in a plastic sleeve. I don't drop a ton of douhg on records every week like a lot of bigdogs here do. Honestly a lot of joints that fetch big paper arn't that good in my opinion(a matter of taste). I could cop a $5.00-$10.00 joint I would listen to alot more. but I now know if I come across that Boscoe record or
    Wojciech shit I am probablly gonna have to pay the dough. I have heard them and now I need em!
    that is my 2cents

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Misuse???

most of those artists have allready been payed for their albums. they would probably be happy to know their music gets downloaded over the net. the ones more likely to get mad are the recordlabels - if they still exist... and maybe the recordstore owners.

TRUE! I kinda messed up on that one. Please excuse.

RECORD STORE OWNERS ARE TRULY THE LOOSERS IN THIS GAME! no doubt. i feel sorry for them. three of our local shops had to close down lately.

I've met a musician who was very happy to hear that kids still got love for his music. He didn't care about how I got to know his musical work. He didn't even realize that I was talking about his old records. He was still very happy. So I guess, downloading doesn't matter to musicians. You're right...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I swear, half the people on this site don't even bother to read the posts that they're responding to before clicking the "Continue" button... do you people really not understand that the gripe is not with "Young people with musical knowledge"? It's with young people that don't bother to accquire real musical knowledge, despite the fact that it has become so much more accessible.

I swear, if your going to call me out on something do it to my face.

"Their knowledge about rare records can compete with any old school digger, but they are so insecure when digging at record stores on their own."

This is what I was referring to in my post. My point was, I've been personally encountering more people who are starting to know more about good music as a direct result of p2p. I had a talk about mulatu and shuggie otis with a metal band yesterday. Some of us weren't there, or had access to alot of these original records, and probably still won't because it'll be in some collection collecting dust. You can't just generalize anyone who has a collection of mp3s as a little dude who doesn't really know about the music. Did you even bother to read my post? Jackass.

- spidey

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I swear, half the people on this site don't even bother to read the posts that they're responding to before clicking the "Continue" button... do you people really not understand that the gripe is not with "Young people with musical knowledge"? It's with young people that don't bother to accquire real musical knowledge, despite the fact that it has become so much more accessible.

I swear, if your going to call me out on something do it to my face.

"Their knowledge about rare records can compete with any old school digger, but they are so insecure when digging at record stores on their own."

This is what I was referring to in my post. My point was, I've been personally encountering more people who are starting to know more about good music as a direct result of p2p. I had a talk about mulatu and shuggie otis with a metal band yesterday. Some of us weren't there, or had access to alot of these original records, and probably still won't because it'll be in some collection collecting dust. You can't just generalize anyone who has a collection of mp3s as a little dude who doesn't really know about the music. Did you even bother to read my post? Jackass.

- spidey

I didn't post that first quote of yours. So chill!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

RECORD STORE OWNERS ARE TRULY THE LOOSERS IN THIS GAME! no doubt. i feel sorry for them. three of our local shops had to close down lately.

Dude, I was with you on the 'Newbies' learn to repect the scene/game/stores/collectors/music/etc....but any store owner who 'loses' when a message board is straight promoting potential product...well, I don't think they are too sharp to start with. I mean, c'mon, I am NEVER gonna buy 'BOSCOE' for $100+, and having an MP3 of it is NEVER gonna stop the Nate Bizzos or Reynaldos from dropping coin on the real thing now that they have HEARD it.

And for the record, the two I uploaded were from CDs I have but I figured most folks still don't see them or have too much access to them, so I figured I would share. It's funny to me to see people arguing about the validity/invalidity of stuff that's all mass produced for the most part (and no, Grope, that's not a swipe at you, but rather an assesment of how far afield this thread went).

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I am NEVER gonna buy 'BOSCOE' for $100+, and having an MP3 of it is NEVER gonna stop the Nate Bizzos or Reynaldos from dropping coin on the real thing now that they have HEARD it.

Now me an Reynaldo are in the same bag?

Damn.

I still feel like a Newbie. So Whatever. Sponge up info any way you can.

"I started accumulating way before you. My bush is sore. Stop getting information. It's not fair. Chafed bush etc....."

PS I'll give somebody $300 for Boscoe right now.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

And for the record, the two I uploaded were from CDs I have but I figured most folks still don't see them or have too much access to them, so I figured I would share. It's funny to me to see people arguing about the validity/invalidity of stuff that's all mass produced for the most part (and no, Grope, that's not a swipe at you, but rather an assesment of how far afield this thread went).

We can have differnet opinions. I get what you are saying. I must admit that I was kinda wrong about that album MP3 thread. But I still don't feel so well about it. I would have kept most posts on there private, but I really understand you too. I hope you're not mad at me. I'm here to learn... the things you say make sense. The others arguments on here make sense too. I didn't mean to sound harsh or pissed. Sorry if I didn't say that in the first place.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Sorry Grope, that wasn't directed towards you. You redeemed your point in your fifth post in this thread. Which was very valid, and I largely agree with you. In the end it is the stores that get hurt. Because mp3's (in some part) take away from all music sales. I've even seen the opposite as far as records stores having to close. I've been to quite a few record stores that are still in business who's seller prices are completly out of wack, because of ebay, and soulseek, and herbs who dig on the regular. I remember during the Leacy era as far as bboying mixes. There were tons of kids who were on jock of all the library knowledge he had, and you couldn't even get the mp3's from these kids who trade music like pokemon cards, but didn't even know who lyn collins or bootsy collins was for that matter. Now I rarely see kids with that mentality anymore. All things go in cycles, if your true to who you are and your approach the trends will come and go.

- spidey

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts

I am NEVER gonna buy 'BOSCOE' for $100+, and having an MP3 of it is NEVER gonna stop the Nate Bizzos or Reynaldos from dropping coin on the real thing now that they have HEARD it.

What I'm saying is hearing the record let's me know if the music on the record is worth the price. Not just something cats are charging a grip for because two guys got in a biding war on ebay and now dealers think they can get that amount for that record (not every dealer does this but a lot do) or because Josh sampled it! I am probablly gonna catch a head bussa for this but I don't really wanna listen to "Songs of Experience"