What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

123457»

Comments

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i mean it has alot to do with attitude, i try to be humble when dealing with more seasoned collectors.i hit up good records and john was mad cool. he could of assumed i was a young cat just looking for rare pieces. but he didn't pass judgement, even after asking him if their was a charmels 45 behind the counter :baller2

by the way mystery train has been treating me nice mr. paycheck.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Being superior is part of your job, but being a snob isn't. You guys need to get over yourselves and do what it takes to sell your records. If you don't like the way things are then don't do it. End of story.

"Are you the creator of Mary Worth? Because you are making me laugh. His proper name is eddie bocage, and, no, you may not buy it. What you can buy is this Boz Scaggs album. The seams are split and the break on "Low Down" skips, but it will fit right in with your collection of 100 Strings and Firestone Christmas albums."

• spcspc 534 Posts
    and another two cents:

There are good points being made on either side of the argument, but it's undeniable that some younger cats display a "gimme gimme" approach to the dissemination of knowledge, and places like Soulstrut (and the net as a whole, for that matter) do indirectly bear a degree of responsibility for that. At the same time, older heads have surely benefitted as well - I know I have, and I've seen certified Big Dudes call upon the advice of the Soulstrut Brainbug before now. But I think that, if you're part of a generation for whom knowledge was acquired by an often long and expensive process of trial and error, you're usually more appreciative of other people's generosity when it comes to the sharing of their wisdom.

well... for me - who grew up with all that internet and stuff - its still trial and error. iam digging trough a whole record store looking for what? for great music. not for cover-pictures of raers i've seen somewhere at a soulstruts mp3 threads. it maybe help, but as you said: even if its a raer... it doesnt mean its good music. for the mp3 vs. record issue: i love the idea of hearing an amazing piece of music, i'd have never known under usual circumstances by getting an mp3 of it. nearly as i like the idea of compilations or re-issues by funk45, stones throw and many others, which does not mean i'd not prefer having the original raer record or even have a friend of mine playing it for me...

i didnt get this whole thread anyway. after reading through all that posts it sounds to me like the 8th-grade-image a-ko mentionend. everyone started somewhere. today people start at funk45 (maybe only if they have totally no idea where to beginn. true.) and go to a recordstore with their funk45.com wantlist. however. maybe they'll go on learning, maybe they wont. having the names of some breaks and all that raers on mp3s isnt it. we all know that. so whats the deal?

for the record: iam 23, i own less than 2000 records but i do know who jimmy smith was. the last record i bought was that doldinger jubilee thingy and iam still learning.

The "jadoo" live version on the jubilee lp is killing it, even faster and harder than the normal version on the cross-collateral lp, one of my favorite alltime tracks!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    This is stupid. Stop posting! If you wanna talk about MP3s then open up a new thread! Newbies can do whatever they like. I'm not caring about MP3s, so why would I complain about people downloading MP3s. I'm just concerned that everything is for free these days. That's all. I don't know why I'm concerned about something like that. I just feel uncomfortable about it. I don't want to get more people to post about this. It's just me... I understand.

Plus this post was never about sellers and their customers. It was about me getting to know some very weird people. I felt those kids I met are very spoiled and don't know to appreciate all the online info they are being offered. I just thought that some of you had the same experience.

And it's not about me being an old folk who doesn't get what digging is all about these days. I'm not stupid, OK?

I should have never started this thread. I'm sorry. I asked people to quit posting about three pages ago. Please don't post in here anymore. I don't want newbies to explain themselves. I don't need that. I don't hate on you. It's not about you...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i didnt get this whole thread anyway.

i know, i know! sorry about that.

after reading through all that posts it sounds to me like the 8th-grade-image a-ko mentionend. everyone started somewhere. today people start at funk45 (maybe only if they have totally no idea where to beginn. true.) and go to a recordstore with their funk45.com wantlist. however. maybe they'll go on learning, maybe they wont. having the names of some breaks and all that raers on mp3s isnt it. we all know that. so whats the deal?

don't know. why don't you tell me?

this wasn't about the way some new people approach digging. it was about the attitude of some people i've met. maybe you should read my posts again...

• [

after reading through all that posts it sounds to me like the 8th-grade-image a-ko mentionend. everyone started somewhere. today people start at funk45 (maybe only if they have totally no idea where to beginn. true.) and go to a recordstore with their funk45.com wantlist. however. maybe they'll go on learning, maybe they wont. having the names of some breaks and all that raers on mp3s isnt it. we all know that. so whats the deal?

don't know. why don't you tell me?

this wasn't about the way some new people approach digging. it was about the attitude of some people i've met. maybe you should read my posts again...

hum... if it goes to attitude (and this five page thread is hopefully beyond you gotten fucked up by some lame youngsters. over the last pages it got more generally. my opinion.), i gotta say something: there were always new cats (dont name them toys, they will one day keep this culture alive. treat them with respect and knowledge.) in the game, and they're always be. they will always act stupid without knowing what the whole thing is about. as we all did in the beginning. but when i grew up in hiphop culture i got educated by older ones who had this each-one-teach-one attitude. they shared their knowledge the way i did. no matter how stupid the question was, i got an answer that in some way could help me going on. so wheres that one gone?

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts

one of the reasons I got into moder(n) soul was because I could find so little information on it and it seemed a place where I could learn about music I knew nothng about beforehand. I guess some of us (gulp) older diggers like the idea of discovering new and good shit.

...which is pretty much the essence of digging - it's about discovering records which push your boundaries and buttons, and discovering them for yourself. You buy blind, or on a hunch or because of a scrap of information on a liner note and you often get it wrong...but when you get it right those moment of musical epiphany are what it's all about. When you've just picked 20 greats of some other monkey's list you're missing the point of it all. It's not all about the cool music, it's also the musical horrors you endure that earn you your stripes and shape your tastes.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

hum... if it goes to attitude (and this five page thread is hopefully beyond you gotten fucked up by some lame youngsters. over the last pages it got more generally. my opinion.),
    which i wasn't responsible for. some people didn't read my first posts but still felt like joining this thread. i never wanted this thread to be about youngsters in general. I LIKE TO SHARE. I LIKE TO SHOW NEW PEOPLE AROUND. I HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEM WITH PEOPLE ASKING QUESTIONS. I mainly don't understand why some people don't know to appreciate the answers some of us give. I just felt like most youngsters I have recently met are very spoiled. I was just thinking that it might not only be the newbies I got to know, but some sort of new generation. I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh or mad. I'm sorry for posting about this whatsoever. My fault. Really, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to insult people or complain about newbies or the album MP3 thread. PLEASE EXCUSE!!! I'd really like to move on. This thread should be over.

i gotta say something: there were always new cats (dont name them toys, they will one day keep this culture alive. treat them with respect and knowledge.) in the game, and they're always be.
    I never called them toys. The term "toy" is a term that I don't use. It's German hip hop slang. Nobody is a toy. I take people serious. I try to treat everyone with respect and knowledge (and I think I'm succeeding well), eventhough I was never tought that by hip hop culture. I learned those things by life.
    It's no game. Record collecting is no game. Please don't call it a "game". Or are you talking hip hop slang again? YO?

they will always act stupid without knowing what the whole thing is about.
    nah, son. i respect them. i still do. strange, huh?
    the reason why i got pissed was because the newbies i met didn't respect me at all. i bet they read my posts on here. i didn't tell them who i was. they just fullfilled any cliche one could have about a generation that grew up lurking on Soulstrut or downloading rare records as MP3s. it's an experience jinx74 had too.

as we all did in the beginning. but when i grew up in hiphop culture i got educated by older ones who had this each-one-teach-one attitude. they shared their knowledge the way i did. no matter how stupid the question was, i got an answer that in some way could help me going on. so wheres that one gone?
    it's still there. i wasn't generalizing.

AGAIN: I guess I was wrong. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh or mad. I'm sorry for posting about this whatsoever. My fault. Really, I'm sorry. It wasn't my intention to insult people or complain about newbies or the album MP3 thread. PLEASE EXCUSE!!! I'd really like to move on. This thread should be over.

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE OVER.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    btw, thanks for my new location

---------

• Grope, this thread will haunt you forever!

• Being superior is part of your job, but being a snob isn't. You guys need to get over yourselves and do what it takes to sell your records. If you don't like the way things are then don't do it. End of story.

"his proper name is eddie bocage, and no you may not buy it."

• btw, thanks for my new location

no problem. you're welcome.

nuff said (oh sorry, do i sound hip again?). yes: you're right. this thread should be over. beeing pissed by some aggro-berlin-listeners who do not show you respect shouldn't be such a big thing.

peace
    (ooops. another hipness around here. iam sorry, but this is how i mean it.)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Grope, this thread will haunt you forever!

no problem! i can deal with that. i'm not taking myself that seriuos. i'm still smiling!

• MP3 thread. PLEASE EXCUSE!!! I'd really like to move on. This thread should be over.

THIS THREAD SHOULD BE OVER.

Chill. It's a MESSAGE BOARD.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Grope, this thread will haunt you forever!

actually, i wouldn't know why. i just read my posts again. did i sound like a mad man? tell me!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    btw, thanks for my new location

no problem. you're welcome.

nuff said (oh sorry, do i sound hip again?). yes: you're right. this thread should be over. beeing pissed by some aggro-berlin-listeners who do not show you respect shouldn't be such a big thing.

peace

(ooops. another hipness around here. iam sorry, but this is how i mean it.)

let's cut this out! i don't want to get into an argument with you. it's all good. but i really don't know why you are downplaying my posts. i never said anything about aggro berlin hip hop fans that don't show me respect. i never said something like that. let's chill, ok?

cool?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Hey Grope... this thread evolved and spun off many tangents. Not every comment here has been a reaction to your first post. It happens.

DJ Ferrari

• Grope...

Happens all the time. Don't sweat it.

• let's cut this out! i don't want to get into an argument with you. it's all good. but i really don't know why you are downplaying my posts. i never said anything about aggro berlin hip hop fans that don't show me respect. i never said something like that. let's chill, ok?

cool?

that aggro thing came to my mind without your posts. sorry for mixing up. i somehow liked the picture of some real 14 year old gansta-aggro-fans joining a record store and ask some old wise man (not quite sure if he still has hair. but if yes, its white and real thin. something like 20cm long.) for funk rarities. funny situation. eeehh. just kiddin.

everythings cool. iam fine. iam chilled. we're all smiling. and for myself i'll keep on doin that for the rest of my day