What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

Comments

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    How come nobody's talking about sound? I ain't no hardcore audiophile, but to me mp3s sound flat, lifeless, realdoll-ish when burnt into audio CDs. Records sound, imho, the way music is supposed to sound, even in a modest, nicely set up rig.

As with Real Dolls, the only positive qualities about mp3s are portability and low maintenance. I hate my record-cleaning process!

• Grope rules the planet!

Ever since I moved into an apartment with no computer, no internet access, no VCR not even radio, records have become greater than ever. Even though I miss checking out info on the Strut and other sites about recs sometimes, living without that gigantic source of information that is the internet puts a whole new perspective on digging, and I love it!

I don't own a single mp3 or even a ram file at the moment and I hardly miss owning them. Records give me a whole lot more joy now.

Gotta go walk,

peace

- J

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    I fully understand you Grope, but i see things slightly different, cause all that internet/mp3 thing got me into that music. I started with the "the-breaks sample faq" and soulseek before i found my first record store.
    But i'm glad i took the step to real (meaning material) digging, cause it's so much more emotional. You put real work, time and money in it. You're really excited to find that one record you always wanted, and then, someday it just pops up in some place you wouldn't expect. You treat your records like treasure, not like some burned cds... i think most of you yao what i ming...

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    How come those new kids know about every rare record that exists? How come they sound like smartasses when posting on internet forums? How come they keep acting snobbish towards old folks and record store owners?

Those kids brag about the rarest of all vinyl, but still don't know what to pick when flipping through records at a real life record store! Where do all the youngsters get their info about the raers? Is it all about Soulseek and Soulstrut nowadays? Why don't they know about common records and records that are actually being sold at their local record shops??? Kids nowadays act like there are millions of rare Jazz Psych LPs waiting to be picked up by them! They refuse to buy expensive records at their local record store, just because they read about people on Soulstrut who permanently pick up private pressed boners for $1.

Some youngsters are spoiled when it comes to record shopping. They don't even know what a rare record is worth to true collectors or store owners. They think they will still find cheap records around the corner. Or on the internet. They don't know to apreciate a reliable record store with huge amounts of new arrivals each week. They can't understand why record store owners price their records high if they never saw those records online and heard somebody say .

One hundred Dollars for a rare Jazz LP? WHAT'S THE DEAL??? Your mom still won't let you have your own bank account?

Their knowledge about rare records can compete with any old school digger, but they are so insecure when digging at record stores on their own. They are scared to listen to records that they've never seen online before. They would never spend any money on records they they didn't scan online before. They think record stores without Psych records for $1 are crap and end up buying Paul Horn records just because they think they found some indenpendent flute Funk record with mad loops and ill stabs. Never seen anyone post about Paul Horn records on Soulstrut? Guess why...

THANK GOD I DIDN'T GROW UP WITH ALL THAT ONLINE BUSINESS AND TALK ABOUT RARE RECORDS ON SOULSTRUT. I WOULD HAVE BEEN SPOILED TOO. Thank god that I spend my first three years without finding any record that I still listen to. I learned something out of being dry and helpless.

I wouldn't complain about all this if I didn't have very bad experiences with newbies in my real life...

Yo,

I said these things a MILLION times on here!!!! Go out there and get your hands dirty. Fuck a FAQ list and Internet printouts.!!! How can newbies talk about rares but don't own any Curtis Mayfield, Marvin Gaye, or Al Green albums? Why have Niagra if you don't have "Mother Popcorn"? That shit is toy and what is wrong with the "new generation" of record collectors. They're not music fans but pissing contest participants (yo, ha ha, my rare is "raerer" than yours) who are insecure and need their egos stroked. If you're truly "all that" you don't have to say it, .

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Nah, cHiller! You didn't get it. I'm not hating on MP3s or the internet. I'm not hating on newbies. I don't hate on modern lifestyles. I can enjoy some sound clips and MP3s (I'm sending MP3s to friends I know personally - I sent a cassette to you and wouldn't mind giving you a full track list - I was just too lazy to include it in my package).
    But it's quite abvious that an instant access to any rare record on this planet gets you very spoiled. And I hate spoiled youngsters that act like they deserve any attention. There aren't many on this board, I guess, but I've met people at my hometown that lurk. Bad people. Very bad people. I didn't tell them that I'm on Soulstrut.

About that album MP3 thread:
    Most newbies are on the hunt for some true rarities right from the beginning. They don't know much, but can already post on internet forums about great records or, for god's sake (this is boring me - IT'S NOT ABOUT MUSIC ONLY!!!) great music. They are fully equiped. Look at that album MP3 thread. I doubt that all the people posting links to album MP3s got the actual vinyl. And I doubt that most people stealing MP3s know where their MP3 came from. It's still straight stealing. I downloaded 4 MP3s just because I'm curious about certain albums that I'll never see in my life (I still feel bad about downloading those clips). But I'd never post up an album. It's still wack. It truly is. Soulseek is for music lovers, Soulstrut should be for record lovers. I don't need all those MP3s to get me excited about records. It's not only the music. It's a full time hobby. It's about other collectors, flea markets, about record covers, about the sound of records, about memorizing namesyou can read o covers, and most importantly to me about RECORD STORES. Most musicians are really happy that people buy their old records. I doubt that they are happy about all their music being online. I'd hate it and you'd hate it too!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Niagra

Niagara, little dude!

haha, just kiddin'

• Stay ahead of the curve is the best advice, instead of lamenting on the increased competition.

As long as they don't break into my house to snatch my records, all is fair in the game. The "Demanding Newbie" is a pain, but this whole big dude cultus is pretty strange to me too. And Grope, why do you have so many tedious newbies in your life? Are you in a bad crowd situation?

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Are you in a bad crowd situation?

Yes.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i can see where the negativity comes from... but hey if cats wanna listen to madlib and jot down al lthe names of peeps to go cop "DAVID SANNNBOOURNE" be my guest.

I've never understood hip hop diggers from the word go.. you want this record just because its ALREADY been looped / sampled? ergh ok.

people have had lists FOREVER.. whether they coppied somebodies list out of goldmine or they were on a BBS in 1992, this shit is not new.

hell i already had over 100 cdrs mp3's accumulated by 1999... and i've never been on soulseek in my life...

For me im of the belief that there are TOO MANY records out there.. its impossible to find everything let alone have the time to listen to it all. Mp3's are a great way of sifting through piles and piles of music that you can now know whether to avoid in the field or track down with a vengence.

The finds threads on here are pretty hilarious for the most part.. alot of really uninteresting albiet rare records flossed on the regular. To have something like the album upload thread come up is a nice opportunity to actually hear some of these legendary peaces... and confirm the fact that im glad i didnt waste 5 years of my life and a couple hundred bones tracking some of these things down.

Grope your anger with toy funk DJ's is slightly comical to me... Why shouldnt they play songs off comps? why shouldnt they download mp3s? i dont get it??? That scene is so concrened with the already set in stone discoveries of the big name dj's, what does it matter how you got the music if at the end of the day everybody just wants keb darge / jazzman gerald's collection anyways?

It's the same with rare groove dudes... like do i really care if you play Ashi Punti off a bootleg 12", a Giles Peterson comp or the OG Wax??? you arent the first dude to play this record out.

i hate to say it but I can relate to Guzzo and his modern soul digging.. its better to buy records with your ears than with a list in hand.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Grope your anger with toy funk DJ's is slightly comical to me... Why shouldnt they play songs off comps? why shouldnt they download mp3s? i dont get it??? That scene is so concrened with the already set in stone discoveries of the big name dj's, what does it matter how you got the music if at the end of the day everybody just wants keb darge / jazzman gerald's collection anyways?

i've said this before: i'm not angry or mad. and it's not about DJs playing tracks off comps. or collecting mp3s. it's all good.

I asked that DJ to play a song off a compilation. i'm not hating on compilations. I was just bugging becasue that dude didn't even know that the "Creative Musicians" track by the Lyman Woodard Organization was on his "Creative Musicians" compilation. What's up with that??? It's not the only time I've had that experience. Youngsters know how rare Funk sounds like, and where to download it, but they know NOTHING about the musicians or records itself. They don't need to know about names or record titles. There are Funk folders on Soulseek. Even library folders... reissues everywhere...

Like that dude that told me he was a producer and that he owns thousands of records, but he still doesn't know Jimmy Smith. WTF?

He listened to the Landlord OST (I gave that one to him), but he didn't hear a "drum break". He didn't know what a drum break is. HE DIDN'T KNOW!!! He's lurking on Soulstrut! He's a radio show host!

I'm just confused about people that got all that heat, but still don't know any names... they earn money by spinning records (200 Euro a night). But they don't know anything about their own collection. Some still brag about their digging skills and about how they are down with the rarest shit out there!

I just want to tell you about my experience. Maybe it's a German only issue. I met tons of people that are new to record collecting. Some (but still few) people I met have a bad attitude. And I think that internet forums (like Soulstrut) and MP3s (Soulseek) changed the way people approach record collecting (some might call it music collecting). If you're not down with the latest MP3 source and all those rare records on the internet, you're out. Some newbies don't enjoy looking for records. They enjoy finding the rare (which is quite easy these days).

I'm still having problems with that album MP3 thread. That thread is mostly about flexing... not about the music.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

The finds threads on here are pretty hilarious for the most part.. alot of really uninteresting albiet rare records flossed on the regular. To have something like the album upload thread come up is a nice opportunity to actually hear some of these legendary peaces... and confirm the fact that im glad i didnt waste 5 years of my life and a couple hundred bones tracking some of these things down.

T R U T H.

And Grope, while I'm sympathetic to some of your points, I just don't understand how it is you seem to be surrounded by more toys than F.A.O. Schwartz. I practically make the Groove Merchant a second home and I very, very rarely see young kids in there acting the fool on some, "yo, I need that KPM "Big Beat" jernt and who's this James Brown cat I keep hearing about?"

While I don't doubt there's a handful of trust-fund-diggers out there, for the most part, the newbies I seem to run into are the ones who are going through the same kind of awkward "let me try to look like I know what I'm doing, when I really don't" phase that I went through. Or am still going through. Whatever.

And as for patently refusing to upload to the "Upload an album thread" - I dunno dude. Seems kind of wack to admit to DLing a few LPs but not sharing back simply on the basis of a "fuck newbies" attitude.

• I'm on the same page as you most times, but..

...That thread is mostly about sharing[/b]... the music.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Whereas...if you're a hardcore MP3 collector, you might have a huge collection and be able to brag about that

Anyone "bragging" about their collection of MP3s has the game seriously f**ked up.

Do people actually do this?

• I've never understood hip hop diggers from the word go.. you want this record just because its ALREADY been looped / sampled? ergh ok.

You have it wrong.
    That usually isn't the main reason. Usually we hear something & say, 'fuck, what is that, I'd love to hear the rest of it'. Not 'gee, to be Madlib I must have everything Madlib has every touched'. It's basically the same mentality as hearing something at a club & asking the DJ, 'what was that last song you just played?' then searching for it because it made some kind of an impact on your emotions.

It's like that story of Keb Darge hating on people who sampled funk until he met Josh & turned his attitude around because it was explained to him via someone who had a genuine love for the same music that he played.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Young people with music knowledge? Oh no, what a travesty! Younger people appreciating a dead artist's collection? They weren't there what do they know. A young guitarist that has a vast music knowledge including northern soul, and krautrock? We can't have educated musicians! Sorry if technology is spoiling your collections. We all know a 60's psych record can't truly be appreciated unless you woke up really early and found it at garage sale. You put the work in, you deserve the credit. Not the musicians. I hope people are still talking about those raers from your collection when you're dead.

- spidey

I swear, half the people on this site don't even bother to read the posts that they're responding to before clicking the "Continue" button... do you people really not understand that the gripe is not with "Young people with musical knowledge"? It's with young people that don't bother to accquire real musical knowledge, despite the fact that it has become so much more accessible.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

And as for patently refusing to upload to the "Upload an album thread" - I dunno dude. Seems kind of wack to admit to DLing a few LPs but not sharing back simply on the basis of a "fuck newbies" attitude.

I just listened to 4 clips. I couldn't resist. I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP (speaking about well played music). Some of those Funk musiians didn't play that well...

DLing 4 albums doesn't mean that I'm wack. I didn't save the clips...

- you're right though.

AND I DON'T HAVE A "FUCK NEWBIES" attitude. I have a "FUCK SOME NEWBIES' ATTITUDE" attitude. I don't like their attitude. It's not about mine towards newbies. I like to share and introduce people to some of my favorite music. I don't have many secrets records... I share.

You're living in San Francisco. You're spending time at the Groove Mecrhant. Very few new guys would have the nerve to step up to a guy like Chris and play big dude.

I never tell anyone about the records I got. I never tell them that I'm on Soultrut. People I meet think I'm new to record collecting as well. I let them talk... and sometimes I can't believe what I'm hearing. They wouldn't talk in the same way to me if they knew me better...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Young people with music knowledge? Oh no, what a travesty! Younger people appreciating a dead artist's collection? They weren't there what do they know. A young guitarist that has a vast music knowledge including northern soul, and krautrock? We can't have educated musicians! Sorry if technology is spoiling your collections. We all know a 60's psych record can't truly be appreciated unless you woke up really early and found it at garage sale. You put the work in, you deserve the credit. Not the musicians. I hope people are still talking about those raers from your collection when you're dead.

- spidey

I swear, half the people on this site don't even bother to read the posts that they're responding to before clicking the "Continue" button... do you people really not understand that the gripe is not with "Young people with musical knowledge"? It's with young people that don't bother to accquire real musical knowledge, despite the fact that it has become so much more accessible.

you got it! i'm having a hard time to explain my main issue! Sorry!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I've never understood hip hop diggers from the word go.. you want this record just because its ALREADY been looped / sampled? ergh ok.

You have it wrong.
    That usually isn't the main reason.

But alot of cats dont have the instinct/will to go find there own beats. If someone has used it................move the fuck on,find something else. There used to be an old code called NO BITING ALLOWED.But thats long gone in these days.
    When i would go "record hunting/shopping" in the 80's, me and my boy wouldNOT look for what De La sampled we'd try to find that other shit that nobody has.
    Certain records are must haves, but fuck the next man's wantlist.

Oh yeah............Fuck A Break.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP

Don't talk about it. Be about it.

• end up buying Paul Horn records just because they think they found some indenpendent flute Funk record with mad loops and ill stabs. Never seen anyone post about Paul Horn records on Soulstrut? Guess why...

"impressions of cleopatra" is a nice lp. i'm sure there are a few other good paul horn lps too...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP

ready for some operas on mp3?

GEEZ, I'm a Wall Of Famer now!

1,000 posts[/b]
    (feeling like a Looser Big Time already!)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    end up buying Paul Horn records just because they think they found some indenpendent flute Funk record with mad loops and ill stabs. Never seen anyone post about Paul Horn records on Soulstrut? Guess why...

"impressions of cleopatra" is a nice lp. i'm sure there are a few other good paul horn lps too...

no doubt. i was just shocked by that dudes reaction. he thought he picked up some rare Psych Jazz only becasue he had never seen a copy before. Paul Horn records are totally common in Germany.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Sayin'. Bring 'em out, then.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

Sayin'. Bring 'em out, then.

Y'all should listen to Shirley Horn. She's got mad skillz. Or Harry Belafonte. Ill! Ella Fitzgerald! Will make you shit blood!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I just listened to 4 clips. I couldn't resist. I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP (speaking about well played music). Some of those Funk musiians didn't play that well...
    - you're right though.

Sorry Grope, but this really comes off as some elitist BS. Not even the hatting on a Whatnauts LP, but this crap about "It's not about the music."

Maybe it's because I don't fuck with soulseek, don't go looking for mad MP3's all the time, that I think the album upload thread is awesome. I have spent hours every week for decades, thousands of dollars a year, just digging & collecting records to listen to and share with others, either on my stereo or on the radio..."it's about the music"...and the fact that on one rainy weekend my fellow Soul Strut members and I decided to share some of our prized albums, let our peers hear some amazing music they may not have otherwise, that seems extremely cool and selfless to me. The albums I uploaded to that thread took work. I didn't have my Tommie Young as an MP3 format, so I had to hook my mixer up to my PC, record each individual track, make a folder, zip it, and spend an hour uploading it to you-send-it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on some "woe is me, MP3 sharing is hard work!" kick, but I think there was a genuine effort being made by people on here to share some great music with each other, some time and effort put in, and the reward for those who share was the ability to own an audio copy of, say, "East of Underground," one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard. I don't generally keep tons of music on my PC, I'm not an MP3 collector, so for me personally, that thread was a lot of fun and gave me something I didn't already have, some nice rare records to listen to on my computer.

• I've never understood hip hop diggers from the word go.. you want this record just because its ALREADY been looped / sampled? ergh ok.

You have it wrong.
    That usually isn't the main reason.

But alot of cats dont have the instinct/will to go find there own beats. If someone has used it................move the fuck on,find something else. There used to be an old code called NO BITING ALLOWED.But thats long gone in these days.
    When i would go "record hunting/shopping" in the 80's, me and my boy wouldNOT look for what De La sampled we'd try to find that other shit that nobody has.
    Certain records are must haves, but fuck the next man's wantlist.

Oh yeah............Fuck A Break.

Geesus man, is that Bernard Goetz in your new avatar?

I'm referring more to just appreciating the song that was sampled, not as in, 'I must loop/chop that shit up as well'. Discovering old music that I missed out on because hip hop made me interested in musical history is what I meant.

A wantlist is just retarded. Restrictive & you'll just be dissapointed all the time.
    I'd rather swim in a river than a dam.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

- you're right though.

Sorry Grope, but this really comes off as some elitist BS. Not even the hatting on a Whatnauts LP, but this crap about "It's not about the music."

Maybe it's because I don't fuck with soulseek, don't go looking for mad MP3's all the time, that I think the album upload thread is awesome. I have spent hours every week for decades, thousands of dollars a year, just digging & collecting records to listen to and share with others, either on my stereo or on the radio..."it's about the music"...and the fact that on one rainy weekend my fellow Soul Strut members and I decided to share some of our prized albums, let our peers hear some amazing music they may not have otherwise, that seems extremely cool and selfless to me. The albums I uploaded to that thread took work. I didn't have my Tommie Young as an MP3 format, so I had to hook my mixer up to my PC, record each individual track, make a folder, zip it, and spend an hour uploading it to you-send-it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on some "woe is me, MP3 sharing is hard work!" kick, but I think there was a genuine effort being made by people on here to share some great music with each other, some time and effort put in, and the reward for those who share was the ability to own an audio copy of, say, "East of Underground," one of the most amazing albums I have ever heard. I don't generally keep tons of music on my PC, I'm not an MP3 collector, so for me personally, that thread was a lot of fun and gave me something I didn't already have, some nice rare records to listen to on my computer.

I understand you. I know why you started that thread. It's just kinda silly what that thread turned into. Like someone said (O-Dub?) you should have (actually the moderators) set some limitation. The stuff happening in your thread is illegal for a good reason. I know you wanted to share. I appreciate that.

I listened to some records at record day and even posted an mp3. i kept it in low quality though. on purpose...

• I just listened to 4 clips. I couldn't resist. I still think that thread is hillarious. It's not about the music. I could post 100 albums that are better than any Whatnauts LP (speaking about well played music). Some of those Funk musiians didn't play that well...
    - you're right though.

Straight up man. I appreciate the work, effort & the selfless sharing. It would be absolutely retarded for anyone to knock what is going on with the 'Album Upload thread. Some of us have an insatiable appetite for music which can be almost destructive to our financial situation just because we get a thrill out of hearing new stuff. And as if anyone of us is going to stop buying records becasue we downloaded a 100 albums in MP3 format. As if.

My download limit has gone ratshitted so I cannot upload anything for another 10 more days. So I'm currently recording some albums into the comp as we speak to return the favour. Because I'm well chuffed at learning more, still after 21 years of being obsessed I realise how little I know.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

The stuff happening in your thread is illegal for a good reason.

What is the good reason that sharing rare out of print records is illegal?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I didn't start that thread, Grope. Just participated in it. And your statement of how you shared "low quality" MP3's on record day is indicative of your whole approach to music, which is to say, IMO, elitist. Nothing wrong with that especially, and certainly not unusual for this site or record collecting in general - I just don't swing that way. I think good music - and knowledge about good music - should be shared. That's just me.