What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

And for the record, the two I uploaded were from CDs I have but I figured most folks still don't see them or have too much access to them, so I figured I would share. It's funny to me to see people arguing about the validity/invalidity of stuff that's all mass produced for the most part (and no, Grope, that's not a swipe at you, but rather an assesment of how far afield this thread went).

We can have differnet opinions. I get what you are saying. I must admit that I was kinda wrong about that album MP3 thread. But I still don't feel so well about it. I would have kept most posts on there private, but I really understand you too. I hope you're not mad at me. I'm here to learn... the things you say make sense. The others arguments on here make sense too. I didn't mean to sound harsh or pissed. Sorry if I didn't say that in the first place.

LOL, man I am not mad at any of the contributors here! Even when folls talk trash, get political and personal, life is way too short to stay mad if when you have reason to get pissed. I just wanted to let you know that I thought that this thing really went crazy from your original vent (which I thought was an understandable position, by the way).

From a completely different perspective, I do have this to add: I kinda feel for the younger set when it comes to the whole 'internet knowledge' scenario. I mean, at my age, I have a context for the web that people 10 years younger and 10 years older may (I say MAY) lack. And that context is almost nonexistent in kids just reaching High School age, which is understanding that there is far more NOT found in an instance than there is accessible. But if you grow up thinking that the whole world is online, then getting past that must be a tough wake up call.

So, in some ways, the weird attitudes that some of these kids have are pretty understandable...like kids everywhere, they THINK they have it all figured out. then they learn that they don't and have so much more to learn. Or they just go on to the next trend, and that's a lot of folks, not just the newbies.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Sorry Grope, that wasn't directed towards you. You redeemed your point in your fifth post in this thread. Which was very valid, and I largely agree with you. In the end it is the stores that get hurt. Because mp3's (in some part) take away from all music sales. I've even seen the opposite as far as records stores having to close. I've been to quite a few record stores that are still in business who's seller prices are completly out of wack, because of ebay, and soulseek, and herbs who dig on the regular. I remember during the Leacy era as far as bboying mixes. There were tons of kids who were on jock of all the library knowledge he had, and you couldn't even get the mp3's from these kids who trade music like pokemon cards, but didn't even know who lyn collins or bootsy collins was for that matter. Now I rarely see kids with that mentality anymore. All things go in cycles, if your true to who you are and your approach the trends will come and go.

- spidey

it's all good! we're cool!

most record stores over here have to close down too. there's no way for them to offer any rare Funk or library record. And medium raers don't sell theses days...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I swear, if your going to call me out on something do it to my face.

Ya'll neighbors or something?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i hate to say it but I can relate to Guzzo and his modern soul digging.. its better to buy records with your ears than with a list in hand.

it's only a matter of time before you find yourself looking for album covers filled with dudes rocking Jheri Curls and suits

• This thread has covered so many things and the pain meds I'm on makess me hazy, so i hope I'm not OT.

I've been collecting records since I was a child in the 70s. I love music and i love the format. I destroyed many a record before I even heard of scratching. Ruined a few belt drives as well. I thought cassttes where wack because the broke, stretched, warped, and you had yo fast forward. When CD's came out I was like, what? I'll stick with records. This was the 80s.

When I finally got aound to looking for breaks around 91, I was looking for original stuff. it was cool to find a Public enemy sample, but I wasn't looking and couldn't use it. It was all about finding unused breaks and samples. That was for production, a sub part of my record collecting.

Since a young age I got into the ritual of "digging" although it was called "going to a record store". When the internet came around and people started using ebay and such, I thought that was weak. it was about digging, gambling, finding, and learning. I was even let down when I heard Cut Chemist used ebay. I fealt the same way about books.

Although I only bought ONE record over the internet, I've warmed up to it.

I don't come here to get record info, sadly. I'm here for the OT shit. It's a comfort bullshitting with people who have similar interests, music. records, and hip-hop.

I don't really care about all the "cheating" going on by internet newbie diggers. They only cheat themselves from the true experience and well rounded wisdom of the seasoned record freak. It's on them.

The MP# album share is cool. Spread the more obscure music, keep it alive because most of us will never see a hard copy.

• I don't come here to get record info, sadly. I'm here for the OT shit. It's a comfort bullshitting with people who have similar interests, music. records, and hip-hop.
    I don't really care about all the "cheating" going on by internet newbie diggers. They only cheat themselves from the true experience and well rounded wisdom of the seasoned record freak. It's on them.

The MP# album share is cool. Spread the more obscure music, keep it alive because most of us will never see a hard copy.

• oh hi guys,

record collecting is lots of fun but you know like anything else fashion is a big part of it. its kind of like people who dig architecture keep saying nuetra or whatever but they have never even heard of thorton able and all that. real headz know the deal. it is OK and all that. jazz collectors like blue note too. there is even some guy on ebay named mr. blue note. its all lame.

i am personally into wishbone ash. they are lame too though. have you guys heard latencys sleeze mix? its so disturbing burnt rock overdose and thats why i am personally scared of it. with that being said i am looking into this " newbie " thing. i dont know. me personally i am into straight digging not some mp3 or whatever you call it. finding shit as you go, the magic is in that. all genres.

now some guy goes to ameoba and buys a $11.99 reissue of some lame ass record that sucks balls like fat funky and tough or band of theives or whatever and then trades it in a atomic for $3 store credit. the reason dude even has access to this garbage is that some fat butthole in new jersey saw it going for $90 on ebay and reissued it for no reason. its like people talking about who great feather is ( which it is ) and they had passed the OG before because it looks like a turd. dont give me anymore of " you got that break " bullshit while your at it. i am strictly interest in 80's light and brezzy bossa fusion and all that. joyce lawson and judy roberts and shit.

ok dudes just wanted to say whats up.

later.

• people who dis kupka modern dance on hoctor get no butt. that shit is embarrasing.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Ya'll neighbors or something?

I would've emailed him a picture.

- spidey

• Misuse???

Bro, who's to say that people aren't going to buy what they hear? I'm sure as hell going to track some shit down.

Yeah, we will probably track down some "shit", but then
    we are all partaking in a process where none of the original artists are getting paid from our habits.

Man you'd better settle down before the heavyweights on here start on you.

you're getting angry here! why do you threaten me? this is an internet forum. i was allowed to say what i think about posting mp3s, right? did i harm anyone? what did i do that got you so angry? which heavyweight will start on me? why? if there's someting to be said, why don't you say it? Why do we need heavyweights in here. i want to hear that stuff from you.

Grope I'm not at all angry with you. And where's the threat? I was just saying that some others would take great umbrage in your attitude. Maybe it was a lack of your correct vernacular that gave me the wrong impression. And I think you misconstrued some of my words. Noticeably by picking up on the word 'shit'. Which is often used as a replacement for 'stuff'. It wasn't meant derogatively, but you took it that way.

I said what I had to say. Don't stress. I wasn't freaking out on you, just curious as to your viewpoints that seemed to go against the grain. I don't have unlimited $$$ so to hear something via MP3 is the next best thing. I can't hate on it. But sounds to me you that you have misplaced annoyance at people around you that has then spilled over onto this thread & become it's own animal.

I love the fact that you care enough to even bother writing what you do.

Peace.

IP

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

I didn't have read this thread, should I...?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I didn't have read this thread, should I...?

no, no downloads here

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    lame ass record that sucks balls like fat funky and tough

This record is AWFUL. I had such high hopes - a fat guy in a top hat with a crazy mustache. How could you go wrong? Oy. What a bomb.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I had such high hopes - a fat guy in a top hat with a crazy mustache. How could you go wrong?

• the reason dude even has access to this garbage is that some fat butthole in new jersey saw it going for $90 on ebay and reissued it for no reason.

• Options
    How many records do most people own that they can honestly say haven't shown up on ebay within the last year or two?

I could name hundreds (but won't ). I know what you're saying, though..

Kevin.

• this is something that i often talk about with some friends. it is crazy how many "newbies" come into A-1 where i work on the weekends and request the most outlandish rare records like they are just sittin' around waiting to be picked up. i remember one guy who came into the store with a 15 page list of super rares and was mad disppointed at me cause I was like nope sorry don't have. So me i'm like trying to provide good customer service suggest to this cat why don't you check these joints out. Why did I say that? I got the gas face from this cat. Like 'why are u giving me these..they don't look hot." Now I don't know everything about records, but I know a few things. So I go on trying to lecture him on the foolishness of just looking for records u got from somebody else's list. Needless to say, he wasn't even trying to hear it. Bottomline to me, newbies have too many rules and regulations about collecting records and that shit is stupid. like who made up these rules and such? When did it become ok to shit on music u know nothing about or don't like??? Anyway, just my humble thoughts.
    amir

• right on,

the don't even know about GEORGIA KELLY sea harp. dolla commons are better than sly slick and wicked get down live. these punks need marvin gaye lets get it on.

• right on,

the don't even know about GEORGIA KELLY sea harp. dolla commons are better than sly slick and wicked get down live. these punks need marvin gaye lets get it on.

Word!!.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Fucking Germans.

I'm Geo... graphy... ist. Fuck Germany.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    people who dis kupka modern dance on hoctor get no butt. that shit is embarrasing.

what about the 2001 theme on hocter..will i get no butt cuz i have it?

• that sounds sik!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    that sounds sik!

funky little ditty...

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i didnt read half this thread, but

heres what im thinkin.

if they are genuinely into this whole diggin thing, then yeah, theyll stick with it, eventually learn more shit and in the long run, probably just be as much as a "real dude" or whatever as any of you (us? or am i lumped into this whole newbie thing too because im pretty young and have a genuine love/appreciation for good old music..), but if they lose interest and its just a phase for them, then whatever, no big deal, nobody's hurt by the whole situation.

really...who cares? you all know youre better than them anyway.

and their attitude? attitude? look who their role models are! haha, we aint the best bunch of guys in the universe in that department. the fact this thread even exists kinda replies to itself.

all i see when i read this is:

8th grader says "man, 5th graders are soooo gay!"

• Hey i think I'm beginning to understand what you guys are on about.

So we grew up with hearing the classics, like U.B.B.s, Aretha, Gaye, Brown, etc.. then delved deeper...but the NEWBIES have bypassed all of those basic foundations, are dismissive of it & go straight for raers therefore lacking a basic knowledge, which we have all gathered in it's own logical learning curve.

Well that is a bit crap...
    Though I think if you work in a 2nd hand record store you'd probably encounter these situations more than most of us. If anyone behind a counter recommended something I'd definitely check it.

Give me a $1 BT Express album over a $300 raer anyday. Surely the same enjoyment can be had.

• i didnt read half this thread, but

heres what im thinkin.

if they are genuinely into this whole diggin thing, then yeah, theyll stick with it, eventually learn more shit and in the long run, probably just be as much as a "real dude" or whatever as any of you (us? or am i lumped into this whole newbie thing too because im pretty young and have a genuine love/appreciation for good old music..), but if they lose interest and its just a phase for them, then whatever, no big deal, nobody's hurt by the whole situation.

really...who cares? you all know youre better than them anyway.

and their attitude? attitude? look who their role models are! haha, we aint the best bunch of guys in the universe in that department. the fact this thread even exists kinda replies to itself.

all i see when i read this is:

8th grader says "man, 5th graders are soooo gay!"

you may not take this matter seriously but i will tell you right now this ain't no fucking joke. newbies got me muthafuggin grippin and shit right now. lets get back to talking about raer or things are gonna get hella boaring around here! you get no butt if you know no raer! listen kid ive been in this business for 10 years! if u dont know that purple navel jazz ensemble is a $100 record then bow out doode. if you have ever been to american pie in santa barbara you would know what its like getting bossed around by doctor d as he crushes another tall boy and screams GET TO WORK! now back to the question at hand. if you defend newbies you just checked yourself because dissing records is like dissing yourself. the doctor said it best. you have jimmy smith as your avatar but you do not even know anything about mr. blue note. he is based in valley village and has funky green label prestige. DEAL WITH IT!

all of those basic foundations, are dismissive of it & go straight for raer.

THIS IS AN UNFOUNDED STATEMENT!

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    dissing records is like dissing yourself.

DEAL WITH IT!

Word up hommie, A.nother classic P.ost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

all of those basic foundations, are dismissive of it & go straight for raer.

THIS IS AN UNFOUNDED STATEMENT!

What are you on about crackhead?
    It was in my Funk N Wagnells. I just C & P'd it.

...You...

...me...

...carpark...

...now...