What’s up with NEWBIES and their attitude?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i dont listen to music

• The more people that collect mp3's the more records that will be out there for my greedy paws.

• I'm new here. Please don't bogart the haterade.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    The more people that collect mp3's the more records that will be out there for my greedy paws.

You know? This actually makes a lot of sense. I'm feeling that.

• cHillercHiller 293 Posts
    i'm still excited when i find a really common funk/soul record for cheap. cause my collection isn't that deep yet, and there are still too many records i don't own.
    On the other hand, when someone posts a raer lp here i'm happy, too, cause i can make my own oppinion on a record i will propably never see, nor be able to afford.

So don't get me wrong: mp3 is cool for me, but if i can find the record; fuck a mp3!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I blame

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I blame

I'm surprised it took 38 posts before someone said this. This thread seemed to be an indirect backlash of dudes like the_mack who have only been digging for a little bit and have had the benefit of Soulstrut/ the-breaks and Ebay to tell them whats "good".

JP[/b] I totally agree that the experience of blindly digging and learning is really great in shaping tastes, the cheatsheet does notihng but tell you the answers the teachers want to hear.

one of the reasons I got into moder(n) soul was because I could find so little information on it and it seemed a place where I could learn about music I knew nothng about beforehand. I guess some of us (gulp) older diggers like the idea of discovering new and good shit.

But Oliver is right, we have sites like this in which we all paricipate and give a blueprint to those too lazy or too trendy to actually love the dig, so yes we are reaping what we sowededed

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    I blame

I'm surprised it took 38 ;posts before someone said this. This thread seemed to be an indirect backlash of dudes like the_mack who are tyoung only been digging for a little bit and have the benefit of Soulstrut/ the-breaks andEbay to tell them whats "good".

JP[/b] I totally agree that with out the experience of not knowing what our looking for your not looking, the cheatsheet does notihng but gtell you the answeers the teachers want to hear.

one of the reasons I got into moder(n) soul was because I could find so little information on it and it seemed a place where I could learn about music I knew nothng about beforehand. I guess some of us (gulp) older diggers like the idea of discovering new and good shit.

But oliver is right we have sites like this in which we all paricipate and give a bluerint to those too lazy or too trendy to actually love the dig, so yes we are reaping what we sowededed

i'm 26, and im almost positive in terms of the records discussed on this site, the 18 year old Mack has more "knowledge" than myself. that does not stop me from finding out about as much music as i can. in our youth we all go through the phases of our friends...after we lose touch with those highschool friends, i believe is the actual test of how much you love music, if you go about finding out about things you may have missed. i am in the process of checking out music i have missed. in highschool, i was into rock and nothing but...aside frome soul assasin sheit. something that needs to be addressed to some people on this site is, if someone was 35 and all of a sudden wanted to get into "rap" music, would that be a wrong thing? well if you put your head up high and snub them saying "they weren't part of that movement in its beginning stages", you are in fact dismissing hip hop as a valid art form, because as far as i understand, no matter what genre of music u missed out on, if you are genuine in your concentration to absorb it, nothing is wrong, you can get into any genre of music. but with hip hop, there seems to be this stigma, that u had to be down at the exact same year it was spawned to be officially down. if i was listening to kid n' play when u were into "above the law" or father mc, are u saying i can't get into it, 15 years later? i dont know how many people check out hip hop beyond their high school years if they haven't done so already, but that rare hip hop thread was an education tool for myself, and i am thankful to have absorbed it.

• The reason why people are hating on newbies who ONLY collect mp3's is the same reason why people hate on those who makes beats with free software/free mp3's vs. equipment and records. It all comes down to what effort you are willing to put in, and what sincerity/heart you have in approaching music.

If you are doing it to be cool, like others have said, it's going to be real nice buying your collection in 3 years. Tastemaking for those who refuse to put in real life effort is whats objectionable.

Yes, we were all green once, but that's kind of besides the point. I think even us old and bitter types are happy to see kids who genuinely love music. You can spot someones intentions within minutes of meeting them.... usually...

Asprin: I think,technology has changed our relationship with music, and not always for the best. Music disconnected from context; the funny story about how you discovered an album, or where you were when first listened to it, cheapen the experience.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

I 'm down with collecting the rears

L O C A T I O N L O C A T I O N

• I 'm down with collecting the rears

L O C A T I O N L O C A T I O N

"take that shit to asswatcher.com!"

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    asswatcher.com!"

WARNING!!!

The girls on that site are busted.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    it's going to be real nice buying your collection in 3 years.

So you gonna come all the way up to Mtl to buy my collection?

That's dedication to the game.

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    Asprin: I think,technology has changed our relationship with music, and not always for the best. Music disconnected from context; the funny story about how you discovered an album, or where you were when first listened to it, cheapen the experience.

NICELY PUT. i tend to remember albums in relation to stages in my life. if you were to absorb a bunch of sensational music at the same time going through a certain period of life, there would be less to distinguish in between. but i always say music is subjective, not objective. some of my favorite albums today, i despised on their first or second listen.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    I blame

I'm surprised it took 38 posts before someone said this.

Dude for some reason i knew that you actually counted every post before hcrink's. Just saying. i saw that '38' and i was like, "Guzzo posted it. That is a real number and not exagerrated."

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I blame

Dude for some reason i knew that you actually counted every post before hcrink's. Just saying. i saw that '38' and i was like, "Guzzo posted it. That is a real number and not exagerrated."

I've been trapped in front of my computer handling work for my job and school not to mention downloading everyhitng I possibly can. I am so damn technical it ain't even funny.

I'll be going to sleep in 152 minutes

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I blame

hahaha!!!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the key word here is "instant gratification".

gone are the days when you actually had to put in work to look for a record to hear it. Or wait until release day to pick the record up when it first drops. Now leaks pop up on p2p networks months in advance ........vs me sweating a promo snippet cassette.

it's somewhat self loathing to slam on the newbies, pot calling the kettle black per say. Definitely a case of "reminding me of self". It's not a big deal to me really, a lot of the stuff I collect (brazilian, jpn) barely gets mentioned on sites like these. Stay ahead of the curve is the best advice, instead of lamenting on the increased competition.

Also, do you dudes really lug big want lists around? I find them limiting, plus they can't steal what's inside your head.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Young people with music knowledge? Oh no, what a travesty! Younger people appreciating a dead artist's collection? They weren't there what do they know. A young guitarist that has a vast music knowledge including northern soul, and krautrock? We can't have educated musicians! Sorry if technology is spoiling your collections. We all know a 60's psych record can't truly be appreciated unless you woke up really early and found it at garage sale. You put the work in, you deserve the credit. Not the musicians. I hope people are still talking about those raers from your collection when you're dead.

- spidey

• Asprin: I think,technology has changed our relationship with music, and not always for the best. Music disconnected from context; the funny story about how you discovered an album, or where you were when first listened to it, cheapen the experience.

Hmmm, this is an interesting observation. I agree, but then when I think of how many albums/singles I have never had/probably never would have had the pleasure of hearing (& the 'Album Upload' thread has virtually knocked me for six & expanded my knowledge untold) I still know that I will have many occasions in which I will hear something with a story attached, so i don't really mind. But it's like going to a foriegn country & getting a souvenier as oppossed to going to a mall & picking up something similiar. One will have a more interesting tale attached.

I've been buying vinyl since 84. Mostly hp hop & then as most of us do on here, dig deeper into the source of that music then go deeper & deeper & then we are in some ridiculous vortex from which there is no return. Who'd a thunk that the "These Trails" LP would be on constant rote on my player all day.

Are there really that many kids bragging about their MP3 libraries to warrant a thread about it? I guess i've never encountered them...

I'm with Taza One in that in the end it's the actual music more than the physicality of it. My eardrums don't have to become my eyes nor fingers to be satisfied.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Yall really didnt know you could get raers on mp3? damn!

My mp3 collection is something serious folls. Let me take a minute to floss. Im not a newbie either.

Basicly, it goes like this, when i hear about teh raers online and on peoples want lists, i soulseek em to check them out. But when im in the store, its blind digging all the way. Since day 1, Im picking up anything and everything that looks interesting. And I still think thats the best way to do it. No matter what your tastes are.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I am however, completely in it for the music. Formats seem to be less important to me as I get older...

but theres still no substitute for digging around in a bunch of old record bins! Even if you can pick up all the "knowledge" you could ever want on the internet, if you wanna know about records, go look at some records!

• Yall really didnt know you could get raers on mp3? damn!

My mp3 collection is something serious folls. Let me take a minute to floss. Im not a newbie either.

Basicly, it goes like this, when i hear about teh raers online and on peoples want lists, i soulseek em to check them out. But when im in the store, its blind digging all the way. Since day 1, Im picking up anything and everything that looks interesting. And I still think thats the best way to do it. No matter what your tastes are.

As I'm on a MAC I can only use Acquisition, Limewire, Poisoned & be buggered if I can find anything raer at all using them. Audio Galaxy was the bomb (via Mac Galaxy), but are all of us Mac users left out of this little Soulseek club. And what's this 'Folder' business?

Is there a way for us Appleheads to traverse this terrain?

I just want to hear shit, not have the world's biggest MP3 collection.

As I'm on a MAC I can only use Acquisition, Limewire, Poisoned & be buggered if I can find anything raer at all using them. Audio Galaxy was the bomb (via Mac Galaxy), but are all of us Mac users left out of this little Soulseek club. And what's this 'Folder' business?

http://chris.schleifer.net/ssX/

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Stay Chizel Homie!

I`ll hit you with a fresh mix after I come back from France.
    Should Calm you down

Otherwise,....

....Take them mp3-kids to the-breaks!

• know what?

record collecting isn't "all about the music"

record collecting isn't even "all about the object"

those things are cool don't get me wrong, but the older I get the more my record collection becomes like a diary. This is what I did with my life, I was with this friend, we met this person, on this road trip, and ate here.

it becomes about the stories. I have over 15,000 records and I've bought less than 50 off ebay.

maybe it is the same for some kid who hears an .mp3 for the first time... "i was with steve and we bugged"

but somehow I doubt it.

Mate, your a legend.
    Just have to wait for that Odyssey album to DL before I jump on that link.
    Don't want to jinx it while i'm down to 56k...

Thanx for the heads up...

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    It's not the MP3 downloading that bugs me. I can deal with MP3 collecting kids. No problem. To each his own. Those kids don't buy original records, so why would i care. they won't be any harm to me at my local record stores.

I like it when people want to find out about old music. No matter which format they are hunting after. It's just that some people who got introduced to old music via MP3s don't know to appreciate what they are listening to. Some kids will look for library records on Soulseek, just because they read about "libraries" on Soulstrut. I bet that one of the first records being offered on Soulseek is the Stringtronics on PEER. How would a newbie know what he's being offered. Most DJs at my old hometown have a sick collection of Funk reissues and MP3s. They are spoiled. It's funny how they look at the Soul Expedition LP on Jazzman Records. They might listen to it and think: "this is crap. why do people buy this stuff? why is this being called Funk? my Salt - Hung Up MP3 is much better!". most newbies don't even know who Jazzman Gerald is. They don't know Florian Keller although they play his "Creative Musicians" compilation when they DJ. I asked a DJ if he could play Lyman Woodard for me. He didn't even know that the "Creative Musicians" song is on his copy of the Creative Musicians compilation. Those guys don't know to appreciate the work that others do for them. They don't know what the term rare is all about. I once told a local Mod and R&B DJ about the Funk45 site. He has been playing rare Funk 45s ever since. He never talked to me again. He thought it was very natural to get all that info from Funk45. He must have bought his reissues and downloaded MP3s within two weeks... I still have no idea where he got all those MP3s and reissues from. People over here love that DJ. They think he is sooo special and must be an expert in rare Funk music.

I might sound harsh! Most newbies really love the records or the old music. They care about music a lot and know to appreciate information sources. I'm being nice to newbies. Ask cHiller. He was all cool and I wouldn't mind showing him my secret spots. Ask Cosmophonic. I love to share. Absolutely no problem.
    But I've also met people who are acting like total assholes from the beginning.

No hating on The Mack, but he's really spoiled. He keeps asking questions about any record that is being mentioned on here. People answer him. People give him advice. (No hating, but that's just the way it is.) He's becoming one of the big dudes already (which is fine - I still think his attitude is somehow "funny"). I mean, he still found a way to show his appreciation. Some people like him for a good reason (don't they?). He gives back. At least he's mad funny!

But what about the lurkers? They don't give anything back. Someone said that he doesn't know what I am talking about. You're lucky then. You didn't see people at your local record store talking about the Placebo - s/t like it was the most common European record there is. The kids I've seen at local spots passed on some of the best records for cheap, only because they've never heard anything about them on Soulstrut or read about them in the newest Wax Poetics magazine. I met people who got all their info about records on Soulseek, eBay and Soulstrut. They are using the same downloads that seriuos guys on here are using. They keep talking about rare records like it was the most natural thing to do. They steal Soulstrut logos and talk Soulstrut-lingo (this is happening in Germany, trust me!).

Look at my subject: I'm talking about newbies with a bad attitude. Spoiled kids. I met people who told me that they are hard core collectors and producers, but they didn't know what a drum break really is (this happened - I'm not exaggerating). They kept telling me how dope the library LPs with the "golden" (it's not golden - it's bronze) cover were! They told me how they took all their samples from that ill library series. But they could neither remember the artists name nor the name of the library label. I went digging with those people. They were so helpless! They picked some very bad records, thinking they bought something special (they thought Paul Horn's Inside LP was a huge Psych Jazz record - their own discovery). They couldn't understand why I bought a Rock record for 30USD and a Jazz LP for 25 USD that day. I noticed how they thought I was crazy just because I spend my money on expensive records. They read about people finding super rare records in salvation army shops and at flea markets. They think it's natural.

I'm not mad though. I'm just wondering and starting to feel bad, because I still don't know how Soulseek works. I need to get busy on MP3s. Otherwise I'd stay a little dude forever...

• I never thought that an internet forum could SUBSTITUTE somehow the own private & personal "listening experience"..... I thought these boards purpose was just to TALK abt records,musicians.... to share opinions etc.....somebody could suggest a record I never heard so I will try to locate and that's all......the whole STATUS game makes me laugh....

if a records is rare, this is not what that really matters......

..the important thing it should be good from a listening point of view......
    I don't want to offend nobody but I say FUCK "breaks" and all the fashion around it.....

.I started listening deep purple in my teens , that's how I got hooked with the hammond sound and I bought Jimmy smith before Jimmy Mcgriff simply cause it was more easy to find, that's when I learnt I liked more mcgriff style than j. smith's ......and I never heard abt Lialeh before 2 years ago......

the youngster that want to locate lialeh before listening aretha, simply don't know what he is doing

just my 2 cents

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

the youngster that want to locate lialeh before listening aretha, simply don't know what he is doing

which is happening a lot! some kids know everything about Bernard Purdie's discography (including all the raers), and get exited about the rarities only... The have never listened to any Aretha Franklin album.

Please excuse my English. My girlfriend just asked me what I'm trying to write and I told her in German. She understood, although she doesn't know much about records or music in general. My English is too bad. I'm getting stuck writing about my feelings...

i really don't hate- i'm just feeling that the whole situation changed. i grew up going to record shops that didn't sell any reissues. i got my first pc when i was 17. i didn't have internet until i was 20! i spend 4 years at listening stations of record stores and was mostly listening to my parents records, because i didn't have much money. no huge flea market finds or cheap Funk or Jazz records at thrift stores.