TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    foe said:
    c'mon, germany will dump everybody out of the tournament and nobody will be happy. 

You know, if the Germans beat England I can console myself with the thought that it will really, really sting the gammons who voted Brexit. It's almost enough to make me cheer for Deutschland.

Jimster said:
    I made a conscious decision, after being diagnosed with a heart condition this year, to not get wound up over football.  I am happy for the team that plays the best to win.  Honestly. 

I won't even watch Match of the Day on Saturday nights.

Probably.

I wish my neighbor had made that vow, he shrieks like he's getting stabbed with much regularity and it's only later I realize a game was on

My wife made a video of me at the last World Cup, effing and blinding at the tv as England failed to take easy chances against Costa Rica (IIRC). I had to laugh watching back. It's ridiculous, but at the time, it means something.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    Duder, did you reach Tano Pasman levels of effing and blinding?

Duderonomy

Close! Southgate’s tactics are so negative it’s infuriating. Some tv pundits have finally started asking direct questions like is he telling them not to make forward passes? Or asking if the fullbacks have been ordered not to cross the halfway line etc. Nobody influential has yet asked why Harry Kane or Rashford keep getting minutes when both appear to be injured.
    DORJimster

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    I think the expectations of being England manager are getting the better of him.  He's trying not to lose, rather than go for a win.  I'd rather them play the high press, certainly what Foden and Sterling are used to.  They are creating so few chances. 

I was getting close to the example Paulo posted.  My Italian isn't good so I put the captions on, and it was even funnier.  Putas for days.  

#FILTERTHERAGE

Duderonomy

Spain vs Croatia has been epic.

TAKE NOTE SOUTHGATE. Fans enjoy goals.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Wow. What a crazy finish. Must be rough to be the favourite of the tournament and to lose like that. To Switzerland! Favourite game of the tournament so far. Spain vs Croatia was great as well. Amazing day. 
    DuderonomyJimster

Where has that Granit Xhaka been this season? He bossed the game. MOTM for me. Now I hear he might be sold to Roma.

Amazing match again. Please PLAY football tomorrow England!
    DORJimster

DOR said:
    Wow. What a crazy finish. Must be rough to be the favourite of the tournament and to lose like that. To Switzerland! Favourite game of the tournament so far. Spain vs Croatia was great as well. Amazing day. 

That kind of day is what keeps me coming back to watching football.

Some great goals, Pogba strike was masterful, even if the French always seemed to expect to win by default.  Hard to put the blame on Mbappe when they blew a two goal lead in the last ten minutes.  But for the whole 120, the Swiss wanted it more.  Yeah, Xhaka - MOTM, deffo.  Played out of his skin.

Happy to see Morata shut some mouths yesterday too.  It's not the best Spanish side ever but they look a whole lot more purposeful than Engerland.

DOR

So that happened.
    Duderonomy

Yeah, still in shock. Been my whole life waiting to beat Germany at the knockout stages. A controlled performance, Sterling needs to be kept as far away from our goal as possible and I wasn’t sure Kane was playing for most of the match. Glad to see the BBC commentators rightly criticizing his performance for a change, very happy to see Grealish come on and make the difference.

But for all the plaudits Sterling & Kane will get, the rest of the team is having to provide tap-ins for them. Sterling was much better today, but Kane is like playing with 10 men.

On the plus, watched Sweden vs Ukraine and Ukraine do not scare me.
    DOR

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    clearly this will be a fairy tale Euro for England.

Just like 2016, when they got to be part of Iceland's fairy tale run, this time around they'll get to meet Denmark in the semis and be the supporting cast in another beautiful story...
    Duderonomy

Boooo!

My understanding was that "It" was coming home.

Start Grealish FFS.  

'Kin 'ell, SWE v UKR was nod-off material after the first half.  What are they going to do, BORE England to death?
    DuderonomyDOR

Jimster said:

Start Grealish FFS.  

!!!!

I love the energy he brings for everyone (Players and fans). I can't put down their play yesterday, but the energy does rise with him on the field. It was great having players like Shaw step up and have a great game as well. And Pickford is having such a great tournament.

IT'S

Duderonomy

COMING

• TO DENMARK
    Duderonomyppadilha

:'-)
    Duderonomy

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    picture duder sitting in Montreal on the night England go through and the Habs lose the Stanley Cup 
    Duderonomy

• I didn't have to watch last night, I just noticed the tonality of the hootin' and hollerin' in the neighborhood. From the noise I guessed 2-1 england and was right.

Drinking happened. Met a weird coke-head Russian, and a dude from Tunisia “loving the freedom” of being away from his homeland - beer in hand, chowing down on a hotdog. Discovered that Ubisoft is still a going concern and that G’n’Ts, IPAs, and whisky with pickle-juice chasers produces a well-rounded hangover.

ketancove

The Canadians lost to a team from Tampa. TAMPA? Understand it was nearly a series shut-out, so not a total disaster. Would’ve loved them to have won so I could witness first-hand Quebeciose getting rowdy.
    cove

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    so I could witness first-hand Quebeciose getting rowdy.

check out the tam tams once social distancing relaxes.  i can't remember the name of the parc but follow your spirit and you'll get there. 

Duderonomy

• heavy "st george flag as cape" street fashion today.
    my hope is, given the game starts right as my kid goes to bed, three goals to one team (either) in the first 15-20 minutes. that way there's no need for game drama and therefore gut-shot-squealing neighbor drama past 8:30 or so. just nice boring possession ball for 75 minutes, polite celebration that's already been deflated by 75 minutes of boredom, and my kid gets a night's sleep.
    ketan

Fair play to Italy.  England were on autopilot for the second half and were punished.  

Pennos are a shithouse way to decide it but ours were weak 

Deliberately toned down my own emotional investment in the whole affair and feel much better for it.  

#FILTERTHERAGE
    ketanDuderonomy

Italy played a great tournament of positive attacking football. I’m sure the manager having faith in his players to be offensive works better on the psyche than “Ok lads nobody crosses the halfway line unless I say so, whatever you do DON’T take risks and we might win”, which seemed to be the English tactics for most of the tournament.
    I like Southgate but looking at the talent he left sitting on the bench and it’s criminal. Like peak Barca being limited to only one of Xavi, Messi or Iniesta on the pitch at the same time. Bringing on Sancho & Rashford at the death, they’ve barely touched the ball and then they’re chosen to take penalties? Poor decision IMO.

Getting to the final was a brilliant achievement but I never felt that emotionally involved because of the safety-first style. Ukraine game aside, nothing much got me out of my seat. Even that game felt a bit easy, and the German side we beat was a shadow of the team the won in 2014.

As a fan I want, along with the risks, the joy of:

Kane/Bamford
    Sancho - Grealish - Foden/Saka
    Mount - Bellingham/Phillips
    Shaw - Mings/Maguire - Stones - Trip/TAA
    Pickford/Pope

I don’t watch football for the pleasure of backwards passes.

Finally, winning this would’ve been good, but it’s not the big kahuna. I want the World Cup. The players should take all the regret from this and use as fuel for Qatar. Southgate needs to have confidence in the talent at his disposal.

Qatar is a colossal scam, bribed their way into hosting the tournament and will have all the atmosphere of the dark side of the moon, and I ain't talking Floyd.  Yet nobody cares.  I think England winning it is not possible.  The environment and the tactics are not conducive.

This squad are not good enough at creating chances, it's been the elephant in the room since the last world cup and the team were exposed for what they are once more last night.

Thank fuck it's over.  The media hype around the minutae of the England squad was getting unbearable.  Fucking "Sweet Caroline"... I couldn't be part of that, as a player or a fan, plus the fake patriotism... It's a slippery slope into excusing the government any accountability for their self-serving scheming under the veil of accusations of "Not being a team player"... thank fuck I can't kick a ball straight. 
    Duderonomy

• Yeah the other thing is the media frenzy/patriotism fever has obscured the elephant in the room of the gov deciding the best way forward after 18 months of restrictions is to give up responsibility for controlling coronavirus and just letting it run rampant through children and young people (of which apparently 7-9% get long-term, possibly permanent effects).

Honestly it's absurd but I genuinely think if England had won there'd be a lot less room for further debate about whether 100,000 cases+ a day is cool or not, so it was overall a good thing they lost.

Most people are stupid selfish cunts, no?

Nobody on the Strut, of course.  

I'm just kinda blown away by many of Southgate's decisions throughout the tournament. How do you put Sancho and Rashford on so late (Did they even touch the ball more than once?) and then expect them to score such important goals with a few minutes of playing time?

But the real inconceivable decision of having a 19 year old kid that has pretty much zero penalty experience take the 5th slot like that. That shit is now possibly going to sit with that kid for most of his career (Tho, I really hope not). Saka was one of my favourites on the team. Loved his hustle. He didn't deserve that put on him. Should have put him 1st up 2nd and leave the final slot to Kane or somebody else.

Mix all that with his usage of Grealish and it all just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Duderonomy

Apparently those five were the best penno takers in training and it had been agreed by all parties they would take the first five, in that order.  Not like the old days where mandems were put on the spot - literally - by seeing who fancied a pop after 120 mins of slog.  I don't disagree that ITA dominated the second half and deserved a goal, but that neck-haul on Saka should have been a red.  It wasn't a dangerous Roy Keane/Alf Haaland or Zidane-red, and I do understand the concept of the professional foul, but it seems he got away with shithousery all night.

Whatever doe.