organ burner daily

Comments

• sounds a bit pop-eye strollish, but in a good way. 1964

• this is one of those rare songs that to me sounds dumb as hell till like halfway through, then when the organ really comes in, is kinda great

• I know I already posted a different Memphis Black track on the first page, but that was how long ago? It's funny hearing a song like this and imagining a bunch of Heino looking dudes cutting it in some smoke filled west german studio

edit: I mean come on, "Ingfried Hoffmann".

• I had my day of rest so to make up for it here's some argentina psych funk, whoa!

• another nasser bouzida guilty pleasure hammond vehicle, this one with his band big boss man. if it doesn't have breaks, bongos and B3 it's not a bouzida track

• a very nice soul jazz lineup on this one - reuben wilson on organ, lee morgan, grant green, george coleman, and idris muhammad too. (I didn't really have to say Idris did I? you can tell, right?)

Duderonomy

• a deep funk era classic, the hatch. I have always liked how heavy the organ is in the mix despite it not being an organ showcase really. the vamping during the sax solo sounds louder than the sax itself.

• let's step sideways a bit. remember ninja tune? I remember ninja tune.

also can't complain about the bongo solo here.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts

this is one of those rare songs that to me sounds dumb as hell till like halfway through, then when the organ really comes in, is kinda great

This. is. a. banger. First heard this on that Quantic DJ mix Off The Beaten Track.

I know I already posted a different Memphis Black track on the first page, but that was how long ago? It's funny hearing a song like this and imagining a bunch of Heino looking dudes cutting it in some smoke filled west german studio

edit: I mean come on, "Ingfried Hoffmann".

Dead/bad link?

here's a new release, with a 45 you can buy and everything. F Spot Records has been slowly but surely making up ground on the East for modern funk 45s.

With a name like that I wonder if they're expat Brits?

• The Topic link (I think Topic is some region locked copyright stuff) is Memphis Black - Amen. I can't find it on a non-topic youtube but here's a spotify. https://open.spotify.com/track/41czeuBS8bXrOOAREQfaEi?si=lfmv9XiHQH6P08jJbI8hkw

Mad Geezers is a Connie Price & The Keystones aka Dan Ubick-led group. I always thought Connie Price was a UK act but apparently Dan/Connie is from LA. So I think they're stealing geezer valor. But it's a nice track. 

In today's news, has this track been comped? It sounds like a hip hop producer with a tascam 4-track went back in time to record in 1972. The bass is HEAVY. The organ is good too but this is about the weirdo mixing. I love it.

Duderonomy

• new orleans boogaloo... who is Bo Jr.??

• alright I'm stretching on this one as it's hardly an indulgent or gratuitous organ usage, but this is a Strut classic, search E.R. Sanctified Jones, US Warren etc. I am still sweating the album. One day it will see the light of day. Ring up the reissue labels and tell them to put all their shit in the TRASH until they find it.

Weirdly the phrase E.R. Sanctified Jones stayed in my head for like a 10 year period where I forgot what it was in relation to, but it's just such a catchy album name.

• I like this organ sound from these guys who also did the 45 of the "organ donor" live cover way back when. Apparently Lefties Soul Connection are Dutch! Who knew. Dutch. Damn.

a newer one of theirs I also like, a bit heavier:

• billy preston at like 19 years old or something. there's also a youtube clip of him playing a duet at age 11 with nat king cole, damn

• mel brown, chicken fat on impulse! weirdly, while the album credits gerald wiggins on organ for every other track, there's no organist credited on this one. to be fair it's more mel's show on guitar, but it's just such a good track so fuggit:

• 420 POST ORGANS TILL I FUCKEN DIE, TILL I'M THE LAST POSTER ON THE STRUT, HAND TO DICK I DON'T GIVE A FRICK

anyway here's some hilarious salt-esque sloppy drumming and a nice wet reverbed hammond sound. I don't know anything about this band and record. but to me it's nothing. I'll post it anyway. it's nothing.

Duderonomy

• How about something new (ish)? Seattle guys, Delvon Lamarr Organ Trio. They had some KEXP set that went wildly viral and with good reason, they're good, if you like soul organ trios.

• prog-ish german dude named "david" wilding out, 1970. who is "david" and why the hell would he pick that as his artist name?

Electrode

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts

Eddie Bo pseudonym recording taken from a one-off Janus 45:

One of my favorite jazz standards done by Rhoda Scott:

• Hell yeah! Those were both new to me. If we're talking Rhoda Scott I had to track down this video - I remembered the intro but forgot what song she played, it was Mercy Mercy Mercy, 1977. I think I could listen to her riff on this bassline forever. There should be more gigs with this combo - weird goatee and square eyeglasses drummer, expert organist playing everything else.

• Piero Umiliani 1972

• how did the mighty burner sneak past the organ burner thread before now?? charlie earland soul jazz

• some unknown guy named mac rebennack, I wonder whatever happened to this mac rebennack:

RIP

• Senor Soul before they were War, this track definitely got around on comps and mixes. But it's GOOD:

• I myself am not opposed to some blow up club style shit. All systems are go-go type shit. So let's go there

• On the Spot Trio from Santa Cruz, California

• Hey I don't claim to be mr raer and obscure, so let's have a listen to Jean Pierre Mirouze's "Sexopolis" off Le Mariage Collectif OST. This track has got around

• let's keep it french with another bernard estardy freak out. I realize I've posted him before but his library organ freak-outs are appealing to me