organ burner daily

Comments

• here's a new release, with a 45 you can buy and everything. F Spot Records has been slowly but surely making up ground on the East for modern funk 45s.

• Somehow new here, guess we don't want miss this one out:

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    Lafayette said:
    Somehow new here, guess we don't want miss this one out:

I always play this pitched waaay up.

• Lafayette said:

OK. Need to try this next time. Plus 8 full up?

• some excellent choices up there! damn!

while not completely blown out with organ, this one just has a great hammond solo. as a youtube comment says, "it's like the meters meets pigmeat markham!"

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts

• ese cholo '71. sometimes an organ burner does NOT feature virtuosic flossing but instead just satisfying heavy organ presence in the track:

• the "organ donor" drums are the least interesting thing about this track, love the organ sound. blown.

Lafayette said:
    Lafayette said:

OK. Need to try this next time. Plus 8 full up?

I used to roll on Vestax and from memory it would be around + 6 or 8 on techs - enough that it’s probably a different key, and trust your ears for the tuning.

Lafayette said:

Never seen the og of this in the field, mine was also Luv ‘n Haight 

• ridiculous seattle psych funk, I wanna play in a band that plays this kind of stuff. ultra simple A-B-A-B structure instrumentals with NO virtuosity, just simple grooves in an abrasive and tough style

The fucking guitar vamp in the second half kills me!

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Can I just step in to applaud you all for actually going daily with this for so long?  

klezmer electro-thug beats

One of my favourite Mod 45s

One of my other favourite Mod 45s

• I always forget about old Paula, she's got joints. Fine choices all up there. I'm glad to not be the only one posting these, my knowledge is pretty scattershot and weird - not just in records but pretty much everything.

Another hilariously mid-60s organ tone. Mex-Melody records looks cool. Plus it has braeks yo

• this mid sixties track is not on discogs... why? CENSORSHIP??

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts

Man like a Hawkeyes is it.

• nasser bouzida from big boss man has a solo project full of retro kitsch stuff like this. it's a guilty pleasure but I love it. I like the glissando stabs on the B3.

• is it a travesty to post ethel smith in this thread? I have a soft spot for this, I believe her final album, at the age of like 64.

• Kuhn Brothers & the Mad Rockers, some kraut psych by some free jazz guys. I'm not sure how I feel about saxophones wilding out really but I do appreciate the organ wilding out, so who am I to judge?

• '67 hard attack harsh hammond & harmonica, don't know more than that

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts
    This classic has been stuck in my head for the past couple days

• "this ain't a prince paul loop from the turtles" as 3rd bass said. what a great track. haven't heard it in a long time too.

I can't believe I haven't already posted some shirley scott...(?)

To rectify that, here's some absolute all star shit - jerry jemmott, bernard purdie, king curtis, richard tee, and shirley scott on organ. I love this whole album. if you ever wanted to hear pretty purdie drumming on it's your thing, here it is:

But the bass and organ on this next track make me get goosebumps, this is absolutely track of the album, that's saying something. I can listen to this song alone on hard repeat, or the whole LP on hard repeat. either way. when shirley starts riffing a bit harder at 2:45 it clears out my sinuses, baby boy.

• king curtis back again to help you start your own soul train line. RIP to both him and don cornelius

• buddy mcknight. 1967. I know nothing about this one other than it sticks with me despite being a pretty standard 67 hammond track

• haha “I’m surprised none of the rappers from the late 80s sampled this” - youtube commenter Yung Understands How Time And Space Work

I have this, it's a weird 10 inch with a big hole and one song per side... soul fire was getting weird I guess.

I know there's a life cycle to whether things like this (fake retro, or revival, or whatever you call it) are looked down upon or not, but I have always ridden for the poets of rhythm and the whitefields, because this stuff, to me, doesn't really have an old equivalent. the first whitefield brothers album doesn't sound like anything I've found at least - I'm happy to be proven wrong.

• 1964 Josie records before they were (for me) the "oh is this a meters tune?" label

• interesting melbourne band, they've done two of these mixtapes of weird covers. I don't know the original here but it's a nice organ slow mack. melbourne seems to have a lively soul scene with several bands orbiting around northside records, which I heartily endorse for anyone going to melbourne.

Duderonomy