NEW ORLEANS flooded

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited August 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
anyone see new orleans and biloxi? looking devastated on cnn. hope everyone is okay. peace, stein. . .

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    my mom called me from new orleans three days ago, said that there was 6in of water on highway 10 already... wonder how she's getting home tonight.

• I was just about to post about this. I think there were a couple of strutters from N.O. too. Hope they are alright. Its crazy how they evacuated almost the whole city, 1 mill people, or something like that. Just saw this man on the TV talk about how the water just poured to their house and took his wife with it. Lots of human tragedy and looting going on down there right now.

(This might be in bad taste considering people dieing and losing their homes, but I am sorry about all those Eddie Bo 45??s getting flooded as well, well at least it made this thread more record related.)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    (This might be in bad taste considering people dieing and losing their homes, but I am sorry about all those Eddie Bo 45??s getting flooded as well, well at least it made this thread more record related.)
    you are not alone... the loss of music collections in Nahlins' homes must be INSANE. i dont even want to think about it. it makes me feel sick.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    That shit is so awful. Did you see what it did to the superdome? Imagine what it did to Magnolia projects and all of the other poor folk. Blah.

-e

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    1) I really hope everyone in NOLA is surviving as best they can. I'm glad Aleit is still with us but I'm assuming the reason other NOLA strutters haven't checked in is because they have no means of doing so.

2) The scope of devestation down there is pretty incredible for the U.S. (but it's important to remember that this is pretty small relative to how natural disasters affect the rest of the world in far, far, far more devestating numbers).

3) This said, every new piece of news coming out of there is simply terrible. Apparently, the water that's flooding into the city is laced with sewage so apart from the dangers of flooding (i.e. drowning), there's a serious health hazard in effect too.

4) And yeah, just from our insular, strutter-p.o.v., there's a lot of music being lost as we speak. Even an earthquake wouldn't come close to destroying as many records, books, etc. as this flood is going to do.

• Fuck all of the records that are lost - my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousin have all evacuated the city and might not have homes to go back to. For the last couple of years, my grandparents have escaped up to Nashville (where my parents live) to hide out while a hurricane comes through and I figured this year would be no different. But now I'm seeing some photos, reading that 80% of the city is underwater, and hearing reports from my parents and this shit is pretty unbelievable. I hope it all turns out OK for everyone on here with friends and family down there.

Mike

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Fuck all of the records that are lost
    I hear you man. sorry for getting all teary about the wax, but this is a record related web site. I really hope your family members, and everyone else can put back the pieces.

• Fuck all of the records that are lost - my grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousin have all evacuated the city and might not have homes to go back to. For the last couple of years, my grandparents have escaped up to Nashville (where my parents live) to hide out while a hurricane comes through and I figured this year would be no different. But now I'm seeing some photos, reading that 80% of the city is underwater, and hearing reports from my parents and this shit is pretty unbelievable. I hope it all turns out OK for everyone on here with friends and family down there.

Mike

watching the news and not being able to hear from your loved ones is a gut wrenching feeling.
    have you been in contact with your family that evacuated mike??

• they said they might not be back in school for at least a month. . .

• Options
    A good friend of mine didn't even evacuate, she broke out to her boss' apartment with a few co-workers on the 5th floor of a building. They had a windowless room to hunker down in, but still that was a dumb and ballsy move. I spoke to her brother last night, he said she's fine but she has no idea if her apartment was ok or not. She assumes that she lost pretty much everything, and doesn't even know when she can get out of her boss' spot.

Hope your family is ok Mike.

• Fuck all of the records that are lost
    I hear you man. sorry for getting all teary about the wax, but this is a record related web site. I really hope your family members, and everyone else can put back the pieces.

i know - i wasn't trying to snap at anyone. sorry if it came off like that. the severity of this just now clicked with me and it's pretty insane. my family is OK. grandparents are in nashville staying with my parents and my uncle and his family have moved to baton rouge for the time being.

thanks
    m

• my bad, i didnt read that you talked to your parents so that is good at least. you can always rebuild houses, the fact theyre ok is the main thing.

• hasnt a new orleans disaster been predicted for awhile? i remember hearing that with global warming and rising water levels, new orleans was going to be completely submerged. im not too optimistic for southwestern sprawl cities like phoenix either once their acquifers dry up. what the fuck are people going to do for water?

man, odubs right...instead of it being india or africa this time, we got a massive refuge tragedy right here in the states. my heart goes out

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    My question is - WHY DIDN'T FEMA TRANSPORT PEOPLE OUT OF THERE?

With a quarter of the city without transportation they basically left hundreds of thousands to die.

• With a quarter of the city without transportation they basically left hundreds of thousands to die.
    they only confirmed 2 deaths sofar in n.o.

• My question is - WHY DIDN'T FEMA TRANSPORT PEOPLE OUT OF THERE?

as i understand it, the hurricane wasn't supposed to head to the city. the forecast changed overnight on fri/sat morning giving the people of new orleans less than 48 hours to evacuate. i guess their normal evacuation plan is somehwere around 72 hours.

as much as i would have liked them to go in their and get everyone out, how do you exactly move a hundred thousand people out.

the authorities said large amounts of people were going to die, yet all these people had no other choice but to stay. must been some really scary shit right there. at least some of these people still have houses to climb to the tops of. if new orleans was hit directly by the hurricane, who knows where these people would have gone.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Right, but considering what they anticipated happening and the steps they took to save people (put them in the Superdome?) they could have done more.

I know $, logistics and all that are involved, but something could have been done.

• 9th Ward:

• With a quarter of the city without transportation they basically left hundreds of thousands to die.
    they only confirmed 2 deaths sofar in n.o.

that's bound to rise. This whole thing depresses me like no other, if anyone on here lost their collections we need to start a record drive to give back.

• Fuck all of the records that are lost
    not to mention loads of neat local folk art gone. peace, stein. .

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Right, but considering what they anticipated happening and the steps they took to save people (put them in the Superdome?) they could have done more.

I know $, logistics and all that are involved, but something could have been done.

My heart goes out to all the people of New Orleans. Looks like vacation is over for this worthless sack of shit.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Looks like vacation is over for this worthless sack of shit.

Anyone noticed yesterday he was wooly looking and had an ugly tan. Today he had a new haircut.

I also heard that in Mississippi, hospitals are asking for any assistance because there aren't any more doctors. Rescue workers are now having to mark houses with black and red paint, black meaning there are read people inside, and [color:red]red[/color] meaning injured people inside. The reason they have to mark them is because in terms of the dead, none of the trucks have refrigeration. Considering that they have no idea how they are going to get those bodies or more importantly when, it's going to be very gruesome within the next few days, and water levels aren't expected to go down anytime soon.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    not to mention that they listed potential hazards as poisonous snakes, alligators, and floating colonies of fire ants!!

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    not to mention that they listed potential hazards as poisonous snakes, alligators, and floating colonies of fire ants!!

i know, when i read that my heart sank. imagine watching everything you own wash away, and you barely survive, only to see some crazy fucking ant colony floating towards you, or an alligator for chrissakes.

my heart goes out to you folks.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    The sadest thing I've seen so far is Hardy Jackson on TV.. Talking to the female reporter (Had her in tears), about his wife...

That shit was soooo sad.

• The sadest thing I've seen so far is Hardy Jackson on TV.. Talking to the female reporter (Had her in tears), about his wife...

That shit was soooo sad.

yeah, that was gut wrenching.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    The sadest thing I've seen so far is Hardy Jackson on TV.. Talking to the female reporter (Had her in tears), about his wife...

That shit was soooo sad.

My God that was terrible to watch. Almost had me in tears.

Hopefully they'll set up an online donation site like they did for the tsunami.

DJ Ferrari

• dayday 9,612 Posts

My God that was terrible to watch. Almost had me in tears.

• trying to find out info on long beach i came across this:
    http://www.team4news.com/Global/story.asp?S=3782912&nav=0w0vdvSh