NEW ORLEANS flooded

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Does anyone know what they did about the Jail/Prison population in Orleans Parrish? Last I had seen the police were trying to weather it all out...

newz showed them being held on buses
    on some highway overlooking floodzone
    they let them out for some air
    on 2 lanes of closed highway
    with cool hand luke style shotgun slingers keeping a shaded eye on them

yeah that looked like a recipe for mayhem right there...except where would they go?

I heard there was some prison riot complete w/hostages, but the news only mentioned it in passing.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Man, I think you need to chill on the 'natural selection'...these folks were poor before the storm and are even poorer after, if you think that stealing shit that MIGHT help them take their mind off the nightmare that is their hourly existence is shows them up to be morally bankrupt, you are not seeing this tragedy very clearly. I doubt any of them are worried about sneakers, but would you really want to concentrate on how fucked you are when your main crime has been being poor in a city that didn't know how to evacuate your ass? I understand how 'looting' bothers you, but it is just a symptom of the chaos. Try putting yourself in their stolen Nikes for a hot second, it's pretty fuckin' bleak, and it's easy to think how stupid they are for stealing DVD players, from a dry office in NYC(or wherever). But at least they think they might get a chance to USE it someday...that's the indomitable human spirit right there.

Again, this is not me on a crusade against looting. People needing food and clothing to survive, it's perfectly acceptible for them to loot these items. But are you trying to tell me I can't call someone stupid for stealing a tv when they have to transport it through a city that's 80% covered by water?

They are stupid, plain and simple. Poverty is not an excuse to behave like a savage. I highly doubt every single person in the 9th ward is stealing sneakers and tv's. People are not giving the poor much credit, they just automatically assume they're looting new era fitted caps. I'm sure the majority are bonding together in need helping each other through these perilous times.........

Also, by causing havoc through looting, they're indirectly slowing down the relief efforts. Resources that could be used to further rescue operations are instead tied up restoring anarchy caused by armed looter gangs. I will not cut them slack by your reasoning.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Does anyone know what they did about the Jail/Prison population in Orleans Parrish? Last I had seen the police were trying to weather it all out...

that reads like an intro to a Johnny Cash song.

• The logic on the Nike/New Era/Throwback looters in this thread is very, um, "let them eat cake"-ish.

It's savagery.... And I don't have much respect for someone that loots white-on-whites over bread, canned goods, etc.

There's no justification for that shit. A lot of you sound kind of funny trying to justify it like, "they're poor - let them be happy with some new Nikes before the reality sets in".... Surely there is something better they could be stealing - let alone doing - with their time.

That said, I'm sure the same shit would go on anywhere. Not judging, just saying...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    [But are you trying to tell me I can't call someone stupid for stealing a tv when they have to transport it through a city that's 80% covered by water?

I cant imagine any idiot stealing a TV. Honestly, for what? There is no power to use it, and IF you did get turn it on, what would they watch? the news? which is telling you that Nawlins is covered in water? no shit.

Anyway, I agree. Living supplies are one thing. Playstations are another.

However, if a box of Scram 45s came floating my way...

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts

At leat they were evacuated. From first hand experience I know the cops do not give a shit about the jailed population down there which raised my concern.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    A lot of you sound kind of funny trying to justify it like, "they're poor - let them be happy with some new Nikes before the reality sets in".... Surely there is something better they could be stealing - let alone doing - with their time.

I guess we have diverging senses of humor. I think it sound kinda funny calling folks 'savages' while sitting behind powerbooks in an air coditioned apt. / record store when never ever having been in such a down and out situation to begin with.

• Options

no doubt, some sorts of wireless communication should be working, all the towers can't be out.

Cellphones still work, but most people are either keeping them off and only using them for emergencies due to battery life; or the batteries have died already and they can't be recharged.

• A lot of you sound kind of funny trying to justify it like, "they're poor - let them be happy with some new Nikes before the reality sets in".... Surely there is something better they could be stealing - let alone doing - with their time.

I guess we have diverging senses of humor. I think it sound kinda funny calling folks 'savages' while sitting behind powerbooks in an air coditioned apt. / record store when never ever having been in such a down and out situation to begin with.

I have no idea what it would be like to be in that situation. I don't think anyone does.

I was calling the situation "savagery" (the actual word I used), I think that situation would make any person savage. White black purple or green. That said one has to question the motivation to steal nikes when there's no food.

Let's not turn this into a debate on race and semantics.

That said one has to question the motivation to steal nikes when there's no food.

Motivations (IMO):

devastation
    helplessness
    anger
    frustration
    years of poverty
    depression

Let's not turn this into a debate on race and semantics.

I have yet to tie this into a debate on race. All I'm saying is, until we have been in thier shoes, we have no right to sit here and say any action is stupid or deplorable. I have a home to go to tonight and a bed to sleep in.

• All I'm saying is, until we have been in thier shoes,

and what fly shoes those are about to be!

All I'm saying is, until we have been in thier shoes,

and what muddy[/b] shoes those are about to be!

• Why does this guy bug me so?

• I've been through 2 hurricanes (Ivan and Elania) and worked the aftermath of one (Hugo).

Spent 2 weeks sleeping on a mall floor for Elania with nothing but a pillow and 2 T-Shirts. After about 4 days they opened up the movies for us but only ran one movie the whole time. Teen Wolf. All we ate while we we're there were hotdogs and gatorade. The wouldn't let us near the door of the mall because they were glass and had them taped and boarded up. But at one point, about a week in to it, I caught a glimps of the doors while they were recieving some supplys and the water came up to the top of the door. Looked like an aquarium through the glass.

Got home and the only thing that mattered to me was my dog. He was fine. He shit on the newspaper everytime. Best damn dog in the world. When the elderly couple next door came home a week after we did they were shocked to learn that their home had been pilliaged for (scripts) drugs, medical equipment (thats a big deal in Florida, you can get alot of money reselling Resperators, Dyalisis Machines and stuff like that...) and pretty much anything that hadn't been nailed down. Point is, the Hurricane didn't break their windows and steal their shit, and it didn't make me want to do it. I think the only reason we didn't get jacked is because of my dog. Best damn dog ever.

The line is very visable and defining between looting and surviving and looting is straight chickenshit.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    New Orleans cops ordered to stop looters
    8/31/2005, 8:00 p.m. CT
    By KEVIN McGILL
    The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) ??? Mayor Ray Nagin ordered 1,500 police officers to leave their search-and-rescue mission Wednesday night and return to the streets to stop looting that has turned increasingly hostile as the city plunges deeper into chaos.

"They are starting to get closer to heavily populated areas ??? hotels, hospitals, and we're going to stop it right now," Nagin said in a statement to The Associated Press.

The number of officers called off the search-and-rescue mission amounts to virtually the entire police force in New Orleans.

Amid the turmoil Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food. The New Orleans police chief ran off looters while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use.

Managers at a nursing home were prepared to cope with the power outages and had enough food for days, but then the looting began. The home's bus driver was forced to surrender the vehicle to carjackers.

Bands of people drove by the nursing home, shouting to residents, "Get out!" Eighty residents, most of them in wheelchairs, were being evacuated to other nursing homes in the state.

"We had enough food for 10 days," said Peggy Hoffman, the home's executive director. "Now we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

At one store, hordes of people from all ages, races and walks of life grabbed food and water. Some drove away with trunkloads of beer.

At one point, two officers drew their guns on the looters, but the thieves left without incident. One of the officers said he was not going to arrest anyone for snatching up food and water.

One young man was seen wading through chest-deep floodwater, carrying a case of soda, after looting a grocery store.

"It's really difficult because my opinion of the looting is it started with people running out of food, and you can't really argue with that too much," Nagin said. "Then it escalated to this kind of mass chaos where people are taking electronic stuff and all that."

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she has asked the White House to send more people to help with evacuations and rescues, thereby freeing up National Guardsmen to stop looters.

"We will restore law and order," Blanco said. "What angers me the most is that disasters like this often bring out the worst in people. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior."

John Matessino, president of the Louisiana Hospital Association, said he had not heard of anyone breaking into the hospitals, but he added that thieves got into the parking garage at one hospital and were stealing car batteries and stereos.

New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert, said looters were breaking into stores all over town and stealing guns. He said there are gangs of armed men moving around the city. At one point, officers stranded on the roof of a hotel were fired at by criminals on the street.

Authorities said an officer was shot in the head and a looter was wounded in a shootout. The officer and looter were expected to survive

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    It's savagery.... And I don't have much respect for someone that loots white-on-whites over bread, canned goods, etc.

but the thing is ...all they have and ever have had is food...food..food..food..free food...that's all they have... food...no money....just food..food stamps...food vouchers...food give-a-ways....canned good drives..etc..etc...so without TRASHING this thread i'll just say...do not judge those people...YES!,they are wrong....but technically it's learned behavior (but that's another rant) .. just try to understand the things we take for granted...i'm pretty sure those people looting have had times when they were 'flooded' with bills,eviction,death and end of the rope shit....so if they don't give a fuck about Mr Foot Locker owner i can't knock em' i'm sure he has insurance...but after this is cleared upthey still have to go back to that shitty ass project building....AND Mr Circuit City is still not hiring them

NO BEEF!..just sayin'....

you'll get my donation in a few days gentlemen

• NEW ORLEANS (AP) ??? Mayor Ray Nagin ordered 1,500 police officers to leave their search-and-rescue mission Wednesday night and return to the streets to stop looting that has turned increasingly hostile as the city plunges deeper into chaos.

"They are starting to get closer to heavily populated areas ??? hotels, hospitals, and we're going to stop it right now," Nagin said in a statement to The Associated Press.

The number of officers called off the search-and-rescue mission amounts to virtually the entire police force in New Orleans.

Amid the turmoil Wednesday, thieves commandeered a forklift and used it to push up the storm shutters and break the glass of a pharmacy. The crowd stormed the store, carrying out so much ice, water and food that it dropped from their arms as they ran. The street was littered with packages of ramen noodles and other items.

Looters also chased down a state police truck full of food. The New Orleans police chief ran off looters while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use.

Managers at a nursing home were prepared to cope with the power outages and had enough food for days, but then the looting began. The home's bus driver was forced to surrender the vehicle to carjackers.

Bands of people drove by the nursing home, shouting to residents, "Get out!" Eighty residents, most of them in wheelchairs, were being evacuated to other nursing homes in the state.

"We had enough food for 10 days," said Peggy Hoffman, the home's executive director. "Now we'll have to equip our department heads with guns and teach them how to shoot."

At one store, hordes of people from all ages, races and walks of life grabbed food and water. Some drove away with trunkloads of beer.

At one point, two officers drew their guns on the looters, but the thieves left without incident. One of the officers said he was not going to arrest anyone for snatching up food and water.

"It's really difficult because my opinion of the looting is it started with people running out of food, and you can't really argue with that too much," Nagin said. "Then it escalated to this kind of mass chaos where people are taking electronic stuff and all that."

New Orleans' homeland security chief, Terry Ebbert, said looters were breaking into stores all over town and stealing guns. He said there are gangs of armed men moving around the city. At one point, officers stranded on the roof of a hotel were fired at by criminals on the street.

• technically it's learned behavior (but that's another rant)

I saw the opportunity was there, and I took it, being that it was there and all. It's called keeping up with the Bushes.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    graelin news report =

oh and here's what President Nero did yesterday... (seriously)

..just sayin'....

amen to that.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

holy shit, that aint good.

• Why does this guy bug me so?
    HOMMIES MOMS IS GLORIA VANDERBILT. i'm pretty old but gloria vanderbilt jeans were quite popular in the 70ies. peace, stein. . .

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Jeremiah Ward wears his make-shift shoes after he was rescued in the 9th Ward, Tuesday, in New Orleans.
    (AP photo/The Dallas Morning News by Irwin Thompson)
    Posted August 31, 2005

Shit is crazy! I really wish there was something I could do besides give money. I also got together with a few people and donated a bunch of clothing to a drive going on.

• New Orleans cops ordered to stop looters
    8/31/2005, 8:00 p.m. CT
    By KEVIN McGILL
    The Associated Press

NEW ORLEANS (AP) ??? Mayor Ray Nagin ordered 1,500 police officers to leave their search-and-rescue mission Wednesday night and return to the streets to stop looting that has turned increasingly hostile as the city plunges deeper into chaos.

One young man was seen wading through chest-deep floodwater, carrying a case of soda, after looting a grocery store.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco said she has asked the White House to send more people to help with evacuations and rescues, thereby freeing up National Guardsmen to stop looters.

"We will restore law and order," Blanco said. "What angers me the most is that disasters like this often bring out the worst in people. I will not tolerate this kind of behavior."

John Matessino, president of the Louisiana Hospital Association, said he had not heard of anyone breaking into the hospitals, but he added that thieves got into the parking garage at one hospital and were stealing car batteries and stereos.

Authorities said an officer was shot in the head and a looter was wounded in a shootout. The officer and looter were expected to survive

GODDAMN that's grim....

• A lot of you sound kind of funny trying to justify it like, "they're poor - let them be happy with some new Nikes before the reality sets in".... Surely there is something better they could be stealing - let alone doing - with their time.

You can always tell who's the leftie and who's the capitalist when the question of looting and/or rioting comes up.

A guy at lunch yesterday brought up the question of why would you steal a TV set, why not food or beer. He kept saying how silly it was to steal a TV set. He was from privilage and did not understand. My answer, which I tried to explain to him, was insanity. That way beyond desperation, hopelessness, shock, and anger lies pure fear filled insanity. An insanity that focuses and brings to light the truth that in this society, property and wealth are what makes the difference. Even if it's ridiculous property like TV sets and Nikes in a flooded, powerless city, at least it's something. I'm going to take some shit for this but I believe most of these people were probably on the brink of insanity and a breakdown BEFORE the hurricane due to the stress and mental illness that capitalism brings for the poor and have nots. This shit's just the straw that broke the back.

SONIC

You can always tell who's the leftie and who's the capitalist when the question of looting and/or rioting comes up.

A guy at lunch yesterday brought up the question of why would you steal a TV set, why not food or beer. He kept saying how silly it was to steal a TV set. He was from privilage and did not understand. My answer, which I tried to explain to him, was insanity. That way beyond desperation, hopelessness, shock, and anger lies pure fear filled insanity. An insanity that focuses and brings to light the truth that in this society, property and wealth are what makes the difference. Even if it's ridiculous property like TV sets and Nikes in a flooded, powerless city, at least it's something. I'm going to take some shit for this but I believe most of these people were probably on the brink of insanity and a breakdown BEFORE the hurricane due to the stress and mental illness that capitalism brings for the poor and have nots. This shit's just the straw that broke the back.

SONIC

I totally agree with this.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    A lot of you sound kind of funny trying to justify it like, "they're poor - let them be happy with some new Nikes before the reality sets in".... Surely there is something better they could be stealing - let alone doing - with their time.

SONIC

It's a way of exerting control over a situation out of control for lots of people. Far from everyone who COULD loot IS looting. There are always people with sense and resolve not to go there, but like I said before, it's a symptom of chaos and not knowing what the next step is, hour by hour. I hope my ealier points were not seen as condoning lawlessness, I was just irked by what I percieved to be a pointed lack of empathy for the situation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    But really, if your priorities are about nikes at this moment then you probably should've been killed off by the initial rush.

harsh.

SONIC

as do I. I am usually not this optimistic about humans, but I don't believe that given different circumstances, but still with access to unprotected items, most of these folks would be acting like this. It looks like the end of the world down there - I can't imagine how people left behind must feel...I don't think things are too clear in people's minds right now.

• Insanity is the only explanation, I know I am sitting high and dry here and my observations arent being made from the war zone, but fuck, why would you expell SO much energy draggin electronics through the water when you could be dragging food and fresh water instead...I dont get it, I am sorry I am looking at this like a privileged person...do some people think the water is going to recede soon and that food and clean water will be available soon enough? I am not getting this lack of survival instinct, really I dont understand...are these people stocked up with food and clean water, so now multiple copies of grand theft auto is what they want/need? Sorry, I just dont understand it. Do they not know they could very well die in the next few days from lack of water and food...they have to know the situation is that dire, dont they? Yes Insanity has to be the only explanation.