NEW ORLEANS flooded

Comments

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    under duress, you truly see what people are made of. Their carnal instincts surface and there's no grey area, it's either heroics or nimrods.......

Looting for essentials is understandable for survival. But really, if your priorities are about nikes at this moment then you probably should've been killed off by the initial rush.

sorry, but this really annoys me.

i don't agree
    prior to the flood most of these people who are looting had very little in life /born poor/single parent household/lacking proper education.

{who else would loot??-only the poorest of the poor]
    these people will have nothing now
    these people will have nothing in the future

a few pairs of kicks made in some 3rd world country by a woman in a sweat shop at slaves wages are boosted,ok
    technically it ain't right or legal,but neither is life or the hurricane.
    the store will be reimbursed by the obligitory insurance policy it is forced to carry
    no food no electricity no gas no HOME,
    what is the big deal with some pathetic ass looting
    it's a little payback for peeps who had nothing subtracted from nothing

A few thoughts tho.. While I sort of agree with what your saying. What if the dude that owns that shop spent his whole life building up that sports store. Maybe he had a $400 thousand home, but owes the bank $300 grand still... Didn't have the proper insurance and maybe isn't covered...

This thought that "Oh they never had anything so..." is that any worse to maybe someone that did and just lost it all?

Lets get real... Anyone ever dealt with an insurance company in business? It's a real bitch. The one time I did back a few years from the huge ice storm we had up here that caused $100 grand in damage at the place I worked for, the insurance company only cover $10,000 of it because the policy only covered certain things. My boss was out $90,000 and ended up declaring bankruptcy down the line and ended up losing his house, cause before the storm he was just squeezing by.

Insurance companies IMO are very and alot of people are gonna get screwed.

Side note: About the picture. Do people really need to be checkin' shoe sizes and price tags right outside the place?

EVERYONE in this scenario are victims of the storm, from the 'looters' trying to get anything to take their minds off the bleak situation, to the store owners who have already lost it all, to the insurance companies who, despite skepticism, WILL have to pay out BILLIONS for this disaster. People are just trying to survive. I would hate to think what would happen if a similar situation hit DC.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

EVERYONE in this scenario are victims of the storm, from the 'looters' trying to get anything to take their minds off the bleak situation, to the store owners who have already lost it all, to the insurance companies who, despite skepticism, WILL have to pay out BILLIONS for this disaster. People are just trying to survive. I would hate to think what would happen if a similar situation hit DC.

No doubt. 26+ Billion... damn

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Yeah, let's not try and play judge from behind our G4s and G5s eh?!?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

This thought that "Oh they never had anything so..." is that any worse to maybe someone that did and just lost it all?

Lets get real... Anyone ever dealt with an insurance company in business? It's a real bitch.

That's White Man's Burden for you. We've got to deal with the paperwork while themfolk get to go free shopping! I'm sure things will even themselves out eventually...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Yeah, let's not try and play judge from behind our G4s and G5s eh?!?

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    would you even be able get flood insurance in a place that lies below sea level? I know in some areas of the country you cant even purchase it because of the risk, and even if you could, flood insurance in NOLA would be premium wise I imagine. Since mostly all damage/looting is due to the flooding, I bet this is a loophole the insurnce companies are going to use to get out of paying...but then again I dont know a whole lot about the insurance game...time will tell.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I could care less about the shoes....it's about their level of stupidity. They could possibly die in the next few weeks, but they're worried about sneakers?

Natural selection..........nature will take care of these people in due time.

ps: I would assume a lot of mom & pop shopkeeps are just scraping by, so no insurance for them.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

dude copped a niners hat. not mad at him.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    Virtually no one has Hurricane insurance down there. Insurance companies won't cover it or if you want it its a ridiculously high price. EVERYONE for the most part down there is FUCKED. They will ge some help from FEMA and maybe some federal aid, but other than that the people that had shit now know what its like at the opposite side of the spectrum.

And I don't necessarily condone "looting" or "Finding" (depending on your race according to the Associated Press). But honestly with the way things are looking most of that gear is going to either go under water, rot, etc in those flooeded areas and who knows when anyone can get back to those places or if those buildings will ever be open again. The whole situation is primarily going to be written off as a loss overall.

I feel bad for all involved. The poor that had no where to go and or no ability to leave even if they had places to go, the business person taht lost everything they worked for, and just for everyone that has to deal with this devastation.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    So now they are going to move all of the people from the superdome to the astrodome, and apparently they could be there untill December. They will have to make the 370 mile trip on Buses. That will be a really grim bus ride. Who would have thought that stadiums would be put to use like this. Finally all the tax money that goes into building these things will actually be of use to the poor people who can't afford the high priced tickets.

• Virtually no one has Hurricane insurance down there. Insurance companies won't cover it or if you want it its a ridiculously high price. EVERYONE for the most part down there is FUCKED. They will ge some help from FEMA and maybe some federal aid, but other than that the people that had shit now know what its like at the opposite side of the spectrum.

And I don't necessarily condone "looting" or "Finding" (depending on your race according to the Associated Press). But honestly with the way things are looking most of that gear is going to either go under water, rot, etc in those flooeded areas and who knows when anyone can get back to those places or if those buildings will ever be open again. The whole situation is primarily going to be written off as a loss overall.

I feel bad for all involved. The poor that had no where to go and or no ability to leave even if they had places to go, the business person taht lost everything they worked for, and just for everyone that has to deal with this devastation.

Very well put.

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Damn, This shit is tragic. I have lot's of family in Gulfport/Biloxi. No injuries/ deaths; but five different fsmily members lost their houses.

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts

BREAKING NEWS[/b]

The New Orleans police chief ran off looters while city officials themselves were commandeering equipment from a looted Office Depot. During a state of emergency, authorities have broad powers to take private supplies and buildings for their use...

Blacks = looting
    Whites = finding
    Police = comandeering

• I just got an email from my aunt. I can't forward any of it, but shit is getting and will get way worse. High death tolls, buildings under seige, roving gangs, martial law..... FEMA has several buildings they've converted to morgues. Figures in the 1,000s at least - they have a supply of 100k body bags for an event like this.

Baton Rouge literally went from 600,000 to 900,000 residents in a few days. The few remaining houses are jacked up to astronomical prices.

Think about this: airlines stopped flying flights from new orleans long before they needed to, simply because nobody was coming in. It wasn't economically viable. However it stranded thousands in the city with no way to get out. These are the airlines that the government bailed out after 9/11.

• Options
    A good friend of mine didn't even evacuate, she broke out to her boss' apartment with a few co-workers on the 5th floor of a building. They had a windowless room to hunker down in, but still that was a dumb and ballsy move. I spoke to her brother last night, he said she's fine but she has no idea if her apartment was ok or not. She assumes that she lost pretty much everything, and doesn't even know when she can get out of her boss' spot.

This girl is one of the lucky ones, her apartment is in the 20% of the city that isn't underwater. She checked on it yesterday and it was fine, but that was earlier in the day and the situation is obviously much different now. What a horrorshow.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    there way a man that lost his wife being interviewed on CNN and it was really sad. He said he didn't know what he was going to do and that he lost the only thing he had.

• I can't even get my head around this shit yet. I heard today that the Mayor is saying no one gets back into the city for 12 to 16 weeks. Economy shuts down completely. Most homes destroyed. Most businesses destroyed. Environmental disaster. They're putting together a 400+ bus caravan to move people from the Superdome to the Astrodome.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I could care less about the shoes....it's about their level of stupidity. They could possibly die in the next few weeks, but they're worried about sneakers?

Natural selection..........nature will take care of these people in due time.

ps: I would assume a lot of mom & pop shopkeeps are just scraping by, so no insurance for them.

Man, I think you need to chill on the 'natural selection'...these folks were poor before the storm and are even poorer after, if you think that stealing shit that MIGHT help them take their mind off the nightmare that is their hourly existence is shows them up to be morally bankrupt, you are not seeing this tragedy very clearly. I doubt any of them are worried about sneakers, but would you really want to concentrate on how fucked you are when your main crime has been being poor in a city that didn't know how to evacuate your ass? I understand how 'looting' bothers you, but it is just a symptom of the chaos. Try putting yourself in their stolen Nikes for a hot second, it's pretty fuckin' bleak, and it's easy to think how stupid they are for stealing DVD players, from a dry office in NYC(or wherever). But at least they think they might get a chance to USE it someday...that's the indomitable human spirit right there.

• la propriete cest le vol

• has anyone with family in the mississippi coast area been able to reach them by telephone??
    so far i have had no luck. i get the "due to the hurricane in the area....", "all circuits are busy" or busy signals.

every once in awhile i'll get what sounds like someone picking up with tons of static, but i havent been able to hear an audible word. i do know that its a cingular cellphone that im calling, and i have cingular as well. thats been my best bet so far.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Think about this: GREYHOUND stopped driving from new orleans long before they needed to, simply because nobody was coming in. It wasn't economically viable. However it stranded thousands in the city with no way to get out.

busses stopped early saturday
    WTF
    whatta bout amtrack
    + yeah the airlines

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    Yeah, everyone is fucked. But we live in a society and looting/finding armloads of clothes you don't need and new kicks you don't need is WRONG in our society. Looting/finding food, water, clothes if you have none on your back is fine and I would say to be expected by decent moral people. Taking things you don't need during this kind of tradgedy is just plan bull shit theft by people who are assholes, disaster or no.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts

Man, I think you need to chill on the 'natural selection'...these folks were poor before the storm and are even poorer after, if you think that stealing shit that MIGHT help them take their mind off the nightmare that is their hourly existence is shows them up to be morally bankrupt, you are not seeing this tragedy very clearly. I doubt any of them are worried about sneakers, but would you really want to concentrate on how fucked you are when your main crime has been being poor in a city that didn't know how to evacuate your ass? I understand how 'looting' bothers you, but it is just a symptom of the chaos. Try putting yourself in their stolen Nikes for a hot second, it's pretty fuckin' bleak, and it's easy to think how stupid they are for stealing DVD players, from a dry office in NYC(or wherever). But at least they think they might get a chance to USE it someday...that's the indomitable human spirit right there.

Well put Birdman. Some perspective on the issues in much needed here.

dunno if I were in the same situation and I owned the business. if its going to be trashed anyway by the water, I am all for people grabbing what they can out of it before it goes under. I would have most likely made precautions anyway (taken the more valuable product with me) Just me though.

• last night i got the bright idea to try and text message my cousin. just got a response from him!! family is ok! still waiting to see about their homes. this is the best news i could ask for, i am literally in tears right now.

if you can try and text message your loved ones! might work!!

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    last night i got the bright idea to try and text message my cousin. just got a response from him!! family is ok! still waiting to see about their homes. this is the best news i could ask for, i am literally in tears right now.

if you can try and text message your loved ones! might work!!

That is good news. I'm glad to hear your family is doing ok.

• KARLITOKARLITO 991 Posts
    no doubt, some sorts of wireless communication should be working, all the towers can't be out.

Does anyone know what they did about the Jail/Prison population in Orleans Parrish? Last I had seen the police were trying to weather it all out...

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Does anyone know what they did about the Jail/Prison population in Orleans Parrish? Last I had seen the police were trying to weather it all out...

newz showed them being held on buses
    on some highway overlooking floodzone
    they let them out for some air
    on 2 lanes of closed highway
    with cool hand luke style shotgun slingers keeping a shaded eye on them

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

newz showed them being held on buses
    on some highway overlooking floodzone
    they let them out for some air
    on 2 lanes of closed highway
    with cool hand luke style shotgun slingers keeping a shaded eye on them

I heard a couple of them got away and there was a hostage situation, but it may be a rumor