NEW ORLEANS flooded

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The sadest thing I've seen so far is Hardy Jackson on TV.. Talking to the female reporter (Had her in tears), about his wife...

That shit was soooo sad.

My God that was terrible to watch. Almost had me in tears.

Hopefully they'll set up an online donation site like they did for the tsunami.

DJ Ferrari

Shit, I can't watch that clip anymore... Hearing him talk... It has me almost in full out tears every time. CNN is playing it a ton. Even hearing him talk for 5 seconds..

DAMN

• BamboucheBambouche 1,484 Posts
    THIS JUST IN: Black People "Loot" while White People "Find"[/b]

• dayday 9,612 Posts

shit never ceases to amaze me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

shit never ceases to amaze me.

Dan that is pretty blatant. Is this an official release from AP? If not what publication is this so I never support it again

• THIS JUST IN: Black People "Loot" while White People "Find"[/b]

Wow. Sad to say, but I think that shit stings a little bit more than the actual devestation.

Did you find these stories and see the connection yourself?

Deep South = That Timewarp song from Rocky Horror.

• edubedub 715 Posts
    hasnt a new orleans disaster been predicted for awhile? i remember hearing that with global warming and rising water levels, new orleans was going to be completely submerged. im not too optimistic for southwestern sprawl cities like phoenix either once their acquifers dry up. what the fuck are people going to do for water?

N.O. has had most of the funding needed for flood prevention diverted to the war effort in Iraq. This has been known for many years.

web page 1

web page 2

Let's see if anyone will be held responsible for that one.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Unfuckingbelievable. Yet so believable.

So, apparently there are 3000 Louisiana National Guard hunkered down in Iraq, complete with amphibious vehicles and high capacity pumps. They must be spitting blood right now.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Deep South = That Timewarp song from Rocky Horror.

what do you mean? do you know who wrote these articles? and the writers are from the deep south? you think this type of implicit racism only exists in the deep south? go on with that shit.

• Deep South = That Timewarp song from Rocky Horror.

what do you mean? do you know who wrote these articles? and the writers are from the deep south? you think this type of implicit racism only exists in the deep south? go on with that shit.

No, I was simply commenting on many aspects of the south that I personally saw growing in Jacksonville and Tampa and when I was in NO about 2 years ago. Not aiming that comment at the journalist at all. When I was there, the song kept repeating in my head when I took notice to the obvious history and condition of the city of NO.

And right now, judging by all news reports, to put it bluntly, a good deal of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana are in the dark ages.

"go on with that shit." - whats that all about?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    they just declared martial law in new orleans

• it doesnt even matter about them declaring martial law, everyone thats there needs to get the fuck out quick before that levee and its pumps break dow. theyre talking about 9 feet of water rushing into the city.
    im literally glued to the tv here, im seeing shit thats making me pissed off(some of these newscasters cutting peple off for commercials for one) and shit thats damn near making me wanna cry. shit is fuckin real folks.

• they were showing some live looting/finding in wal mart. brought back some old la riot memories. peace, stein. . .

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    finding

vs

looting

sigh... thanks for pointing these out E - even a hurricane can't stop this bullshit.

• paulnicepaulnice 924 Posts

Re: the whole record thing, I lost virtually my entire collection in a basement flood back in the early 90's.
    I had been collecting since about '82 and had plenty doubles of plenty 12 inches.
    I never fully recovered my will to collect since then, not seriously anyway.

Re: the situation down in New Orleans and the surrounding area, it's heartbreaking to see.
    That kind of devastation and loss also helps put everyday bullshit that we bitch & moan about into perspective.
    (Btw, was there even a mention/"thoughts & prayers" regarding the hurricane during the VMA's?)
    I only hope that the city of New Orleans doen't become the cesspool of malaria & disease that some are already predicting it will become in a matter of days (the fact that the water doesn't look to be going anywhere anytime soon won't help matters).

Re: Oliver's comment...

2) The scope of devestation down there is pretty incredible for the U.S. (but it's important to remember that this is pretty small relative to how natural disasters affect the rest of the world in far, far, far more devestating numbers).

Why is that important to remember?
    I never understood why some people feel it necessary to always apply a scale to human suffering.
    For example, I don't think I could tell someone, who just lost everything - including loved ones - that someone in another country has it worse.
    Sorry, but I really don't feel that even needed to be said.

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    In the next few days I'll be volunteering my time to the Red Cross...I strongly encourage anyone else with down time to consider doing likewise. Doesn't matter where you're at..little goes long!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    totally - as soon as I get over this cold/flu i'm going to donate blood.

This whole thing is heartbreaking.
    And considering the massive scope of the situation, we're looking at just the beginning.

finding

vs

looting

sigh... thanks for pointing these out E - even a hurricane can't stop this bullshit.

Yeah, I found them, but thx.

Few thoughts,

I'm getting tired of people bitching in parts of the states and Canada over gas prices because of all this. So many people just lost their whole fucking lives (Rich/Poor) and people are talking about gas prices...

Is it just me, or are alot of people not making a really REALLY[/b] big deal about this? Is this just because the rest of the world doesn't think people in the US need help? I mean, a huge portion of the people down there are poor as fuck and now they got nothing and are sleeping on highways and shit. I don't see any major sites trying to get people to donate, etc. No where even close to what we saw for the tsunami. I now give every 4 months, which I just gave to the red cross. If I didn't really need my job right now, I'd be heading down there to do what I could.

Last thing.. Whats with the german media? Pointing fingers at Bush kinda, because of the governments views on Kyoto. I can't stand Bush, but until a huge portion of the population is safe (which might get way worse) I think it's and people should be looking for ways to help instead of blaming someone right now. Lets save the "I told you so's" for when people are safe and not trying to live with everything they got left dying in attics...

Anyways, pardon me... I hate to see people swimming for their lives.

• Hey there!

Last thing.. Whats with the german media? Pointing fingers at Bush kinda, because of the governments views on Kyoto. I can't stand Bush, but until a huge portion of the population is safe (which might get way worse) I think it's and people should be looking for ways to help instead of blaming someone right now. Lets save the "I told you so's" for when people are safe and not trying to live with everything they got left dying in attics...

It??s not a good time to talk about German media these days.

Maybe you have read about that we have to face another election and therefor all the people are having their eyes on the people who will vote for them.

Let??s see it as "bush has not many friends in Germany" and leave the media comments to the side.

I am sure a lot of people from here are sitting helpless in front of their tv??s being sorry for the pictures they see and feeling with all the pain that comes over the surviving humans of this tragedy.

I am pretty sure more tragedys will follow in the future so this really should be a starting point for the international society to work together protecting manship against the violent power of the weather not to hold up useless prejudices!

Peace and good wishes
    Seb

Hey there!

It??s not a good time to talk about German media these days.

Maybe you have read about that we have to face another election and therefor all the people are having their eyes on the people who will vote for them.

Let??s see it as "bush has not many friends in Germany" and leave the media comments to the side.

I am sure a lot of people from here are sitting helpless in front of their tv??s being sorry for the pictures they see and feeling with all the pain that comes over the surviving humans of this tragedy.

I am pretty sure more tragedys will follow in the future so this really should be a starting point for the international society to work together protecting manship against the violent power of the weather not to hold up useless prejudices!

Peace and good wishes
    Seb

Hey Seb,

I'm Canadian (Of German decent). I am in no way talking about the people of Germany. Just questioning some of the media. But then all media around the world has their views and pushes them.

I agree 100% on working together!

gute nacht

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    jesus... i have so much family out there and haven't heard anything. all phones are down...

prayers.

• fucking crazy..I have much family in Louisiana and my grandmother was supposed to be headed there to visit all of them this week.

• yo for real!!!!
    i just remembered....its fucking summer down there and it gets sweatier than hell. no electricity in hospitals!!!!

"We're not even dealing with dead bodies," Nagin said. "They're just pushing them on the side."

A few more feet of water could wipe out the entire city water system, said Terry Ebbert, the city's homeland security chief.

The intestates are impassable, the bridges may be unstable and no one knows if the buildings can withstand the damage brought by Katrina, the governor said after flying over the region.

80% of housing is fucked???? i just get this realization that a big city just got put out of commission for awhile. what the fuck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this is nuts. theyre picking people off of roofs and sticking them on freeways!

re looting...why the fuck are they posting cops in front of stores to prevent looting? cops should be trying to save those in need not protect soon to be worthless, inundated property. maybe im a little off. i was thinking 3way eddies spot was at least on the second floor, but that place probably collapsed. i hope that dudes allright. man, a whole fucking city is gonaabe homeless.

• dayday 9,612 Posts

Shit, 80% of THE CITY is underwater.

And it's more than just looting stores, fools are going crazy on each other and IT'S ONLY DAY 1[/b]

A police officer told CNN that three shootings, widespread looting and a number of attempted carjackings had been reported near the Louisiana Superdome, where more than 20,000 people were holed up in the city's shelter of last resort.

National Guard troops were moving down Canal Street in an effort to restore order to a business district that had been hard-hit by looters earlier Tuesday.

Frustration was also rising inside the Superdome, where toilets were overflowing and there was no air conditioning to provide relief from 90-degree heat.

A man fell to his death from the second seating level inside the dome Tuesday, and witnesses told WGNO-TV that he jumped.

This is much bigger than what most people realize.

• day,i just started paying attention.its chaos anarchy madness. the superdome has gotta be like a pressure cooker right now. i never thought id day it, especially about nola, but i hope they got a lot of cops in there trying to regulate and keeping predators off prey (and not being predators).

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    everyone should look at this to get a condensed idea of how widespread this all is

http://edition.cnn.com/video/player/player.html?url=/video/us/2005/08/31/nissen.pictures.tues.pkg.cnn.cnn

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    my family is in Mississippi with no electricity but they live 3 hours north of the gulf coast in the hills so they didn't get any flooding, just a lot of trees knocked down. my cousins in Slidell, Louisiana got out but probably lost their houses. the judge who married me and my wife, an old friend of my dad's, lives in Gulfport MS with his wife and little kids and we haven't heard anything from them. this shit is really crazy. when you live in a city below sea level on a coast that is regularly in the path of tropical storms, you know in the back of your mind that it could flood but nobody could imagine anything this bad. fuck. everybody hold on.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

wow, too much...

seeing this reminds me of seeing 9/11 and going "man, they're gonna be counting bodies for months..."

honestly, most of N.O. is in a Third World condition at the best of times, this is gonna push that shit to Apocolyptic levels...

they say the roads will be out for a long time, no way to get food in, water, electricty, gas all out for foreseeable future, flood waters possibly getting higher... disease from sewage, dead bodies (biggest hospital just closed), chemicals... all the prisoners on highway ramps! one more disaster/unexpected occurance could be the spark that sets it all off... (also, do you think the National Guard are wearing Frogman outfits? just a thought...)

def. the New Orleans we knew may be gone forever, and if not it will take a LONG time to sort all this out.

i am curious to see what our fearless leader will do... i smell a photo op., that's for sure....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    under duress, you truly see what people are made of. Their carnal instincts surface and there's no grey area, it's either heroics or nimrods.......

Looting for essentials is understandable for survival. But really, if your priorities are about nikes at this moment then you probably should've been killed off by the initial rush.

sorry, but this really annoys me.

under duress, you truly see what people are made of. Their carnal instincts surface and there's no grey area, it's either heroics or nimrods.......

Looting for essentials is understandable for survival. But really, if your priorities are about nikes at this moment then you probably should've been killed off by the initial rush.

sorry, but this really annoys me.

i don't agree
    prior to the flood most of these people who are looting had very little in life /born poor/single parent household/lacking proper education.

{who else would loot??-only the poorest of the poor]
    these people will have nothing now
    these people will have nothing in the future

a few pairs of kicks made in some 3rd world country by a woman in a sweat shop at slaves wages are boosted,ok
    technically it ain't right or legal,but neither is life or the hurricane.
    the store will be reimbursed by the obligitory insurance policy it is forced to carry
    no food no electricity no gas no HOME,
    what is the big deal with some pathetic ass looting
    it's a little payback for peeps who had nothing subtracted from nothing

A few thoughts tho.. While I sort of agree with what your saying. What if the dude that owns that shop spent his whole life building up that sports store. Maybe he had a $400 thousand home, but owes the bank $300 grand still... Didn't have the proper insurance and maybe isn't covered...

This thought that "Oh they never had anything so..." is that any worse to maybe someone that did and just lost it all?

Lets get real... Anyone ever dealt with an insurance company in business? It's a real bitch. The one time I did back a few years from the huge ice storm we had up here that caused $100 grand in damage at the place I worked for, the insurance company only cover $10,000 of it because the policy only covered certain things. My boss was out $90,000 and ended up declaring bankruptcy down the line and ended up losing his house, cause before the storm he was just squeezing by.

Insurance companies IMO are very and alot of people are gonna get screwed.

Side note: About the picture. Do people really need to be checkin' shoe sizes and price tags right outside the place?