WHEN DOES THE NEW SEASON OF WIRE START?

123457»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    DOR said:
    I'm re-watching The Sopranos.

I just noticed someone.

My dude Hua Hsu profiled MKW for NY Mag and one of the anecdotes that came out of those interviews is that MKW was at a low point around 9/11 and at a time when his career had gone cold. He was up late, zooted out of his mind, watching TV and saw his cameo on "The Sopranos" and decided that night to give his acting career one more try.

The next role he auditioned for?

Omar.

• mannybolone said:
    DOR said:
    I'm re-watching The Sopranos.

I just noticed someone.

My dude Hua Hsu profiled MKW for NY Mag and one of the anecdotes that came out of those interviews is that MKW was at a low point around 9/11 and at a time when his career had gone cold. He was up late, zooted out of his mind, watching TV and saw his cameo on "The Sopranos" and decided that night to give his acting career one more try.

The next role he auditioned for?

Omar.

Awesome. I love it when things fall in place like that. HBO also seems to be very loyal about casting, which is off because I imagine it's different casting directors on each show. Maybe they just see HBO on your resume and that counts for bonus points.

Hua is a super nice guy. He put me in URB's Next 100.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Anybody catching up on the HD reissue? David Simon has mixed feelings about the matter. I don't have HBO Signature in HD on my cable package so I'm not gorging on the marathon but I've skimmed a few episodes in HD On Demand and it looks pretty good on my big ass flat screen. I don't really see that the show will suffer too much from the changed aspect ratio, they probably should have been showing it in HD wide screen from day one but what's great about the show works well in 4:3 or 16:9, and the new format will make it more accessible to new viewers.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I've had a limited look so far. But for the most part I like the job they've done.

While there is something to be said of keeping the 4:3 image while watching. It's always bothered me watching on a wide screen TV having the black bars... And stretching the image 16:9 takes away the bars, but just is a bit harsh.

Damn glad they shot 35mm.

In any case. I want to binge non stop now once again!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Just read the whole thread and put a bid on a used complete box.
    I have a fat screen low definition tv, don't need no fancy new reissue.

My sister just watched it, and would tell me about it each week. Can't believe how much I have forgotten.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I caught the very first episode during this current replay by HBO completely by chance. I always remember the first season starting out very slow before it really picked up, but re-watching that opening episode in the first time in years it turned out to be pretty damn good. Still say this was the best TV ever made including Season 2 which everyone always crapped on and even given the big problems with the last season about the newspaper.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    It's interesting to revisit the early episodes in light of the entire series. I forgot how bad ass Kima was in her introduction and how spotty McNutty's accent was, not that it ever got much better.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    I just finished watching The Walking Dead Season 5 mid-finale and basically, all of the Wire actors have ended up there. Its a reunion show.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yakame with turkey grease

• motown67 said:
    I caught the very first episode during this current replay by HBO completely by chance. I always remember the first season starting out very slow before it really picked up, but re-watching that opening episode in the first time in years it turned out to be pretty damn good. Still say this was the best TV ever made including Season 2 which everyone always crapped on and even given the big problems with the last season about the newspaper.

We re-watched the whole series earlier this year. Season 2 seemed a lot better on the second watch, some classic scenes in there! However season 5, although it had some great scenes too, was just as flawed as I remembered. The whole newspaper plot-line just felt forced (in spite of some great character actors in various roles).

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Season 5 was by far the worst and seemed rushed, but shit compared to what else was on TV at that time it was still a cut above. Season 2 I always loved. The destruction of the industrial base/unions really hit home and there was still lots of other great story lines going on.

• If I admit I haven't seen an episode of The Wire, do I get my Soulstrut badge revoked? I'm kinda nervous to ask...

• BeatChemist said:
    If I admit I haven't seen an episode of The Wire, do I get my Soulstrut badge revoked? I'm kinda nervous to ask...

nearly.

come by the spot to grab seasons 1-5. a homey gonna have to lay a deposit on that tho

• vintageinfants said:
    BeatChemist said:
    If I admit I haven't seen an episode of The Wire, do I get my Soulstrut badge revoked? I'm kinda nervous to ask...

nearly.

come by the spot to grab seasons 1-5. a homey gonna have to lay a deposit on that tho

Haha that seems fair. I've been meaning to shoot you a txt to see about getting together... but this fucking winter has me in full hermit mode.