WHEN DOES THE NEW SEASON OF WIRE START?

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    OK, now that America's intellectual elite are paying attention to this show, there's more articles than you can shake a stick at:

David Simon interviewed in the New Yorker

I haven't read this one yet, I'm saving it for reading in the actual print edition and I'm chronically behind in my New Yorker reading, although this issue is getting bumped to the front of the cue. Will season five live up to the hype? Well, season three was easily the best thing I had ever seen on television when it aired and season four easily topped that one. I'm optimistic about season five.

RIP Snot Boogie

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    OK, now that America's intellectual elite are paying attention to this show, there's more articles than you can shake a stick at:

I haven't read this one yet, I'm saving it for reading in the actual print edition and I'm chronically behind in my New Yorker reading, although this issue is getting bumped to the front of the cue. Will season five live up to the hype? Well, season three was easily the best thing I had ever seen on television when it aired and season four easily topped that one. I'm optimistic about season five.

RIP Snot Boogie

Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympatheic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, "Man, you need a fix more than I do." Royo refers to that moment as his "street Oscar."

• Once, a man pressed a package of heroin into the hands of Andre Royo, the actor who plays the sympatheic junkie and police informant Bubbles, saying, "Man, you need a fix more than I do." Royo refers to that moment as his "street Oscar."

I heard about this. What a great Frickin' story.

• I'm optimistic about season five.

I don't see how it could be anything less than satisfying.

To some degree, I think the new season, since it focuses heavily on the Sun, might turn off some fans for the same reason they didn't like season No. 2, i.e. ...

::yousoundwhite::

• To some degree, I think the new season, since it focuses heavily on the Sun, might turn off some fans for the same reason they didn't like season No. 2, i.e. ...

I loved season 2 both times I watched it. I think they will focus on a certain aspect in five but they won't ignore the rest of the build up they created in the first 4. I expect it to be a well rounded season.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    The scene where omar goes to get cereal in his robe, and dudes just relinquish the package, is my favorite wire scene ever. "Yall aint got honey nut?"

Sad to see bodie go. i feel like i grew up with him, you know?

To some degree, I think the new season, since it focuses heavily on the Sun, might turn off some fans for the same reason they didn't like season No. 2, i.e. ...

I loved season 2 both times I watched it. I think they will focus on a certain aspect in five but they won't ignore the rest of the build up they created in the first 4. I expect it to be a well rounded season.

I totally agree. I liked No. 2 a lot. I was just saying that some people might not see it the same way. I don't think there's any way it would get hated on as much, especially because it's the last hurrah, but I could see a few folks wanting more drug dealer, less newspaper editor.

• i just noticed last week that season 1 of the wire is on hbo on demand. i got a late start on this show and only caught seasons 3 and 4. i'm 4 deep into season 1 and its

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i just noticed last week that season 1 of the wire is on hbo on demand. i got a late start on this show and only caught seasons 3 and 4. i'm 4 deep into season 1 and its

i just finished season 1 myself. saw it has good viewership up here so i checked it out, pretty Frickin' good. not as addictive as sopranos but loving it.

RIP Snot Boogie

Oh shit, I almost choked up at the end of the article. "David Simon was the best man."

Fewer things exist in the world that I can cosign as heavily as this guy.

• not as addictive as sopranos but loving it.

give it time...

Ha ha, David Simon's old boss at the Sun crying like a little bitch

NEW YORK[/b] What???s in a name? The question has particular bite in considering the fifth and final season of the HBO series ???The Wire,??? starting in January. The reason: David Simon, creator of that series, last season introduced as a not very sympathetic character a certain police officer named Marimow.

That is not a very common name, and happens to be the same last name of a well-known newspaper editor -- and former boss Simon sometimes tangled with when he worked at The Sun in Baltimore (before taking a buyout). And now that paper, and its struggles and shortcomings in a cost-cutting age, will be the focus of the new season.

Bill Marimow was silent on the issue until recently. ???David Simon is truly obsessed. He reminds me of Captain Ahab and the pursuit of the white whale,??? Marimow tells E&P. ???I spent most of my career as a reporter, I grew up working with the best editors and the focus has been on public service journalism. The purpose is not to win Pulitzer prizes but to make a difference in the community. If others deem it worthy -- to say the motivation is to win prizes is untrue.???

Marimow admits that he has periodically watched "The Wire??? but stopped after Charles Marimow was introduced to the series. Nor does he buy Simon???s claim that he innocuously settled on the character???s name: ???That is utter bullshit! How could you take a name like Marimow? I have a daughter and son and a mother and a wife named Marimow -- and that is it!???

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Sad to see bodie go. i feel like i grew up with him, you know?

And he with us. Man saw the last episode before me and it being The Wire, I asked "Who dies?" and he wouldn't tell me. "Someone we like?" and he said "Yea, someone we saw come up." - and I thought it would be either Pres or Bodie. Glad we got that scene with him and McNulty still.

This will probably be too late for most of you, but through today (Saturday) Best Buy has all three seasons of the Wire plus pre-orders for season 4 half price. I think you can get the price online though, so if you've been chafing at the $60 price tag, perhaps you can still pull the trigger tonight.

• -

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I just wanted tothank the strut for putting me onto this show a while back

Afetr catching some of season 1 on tv-links (RIP) i went on to binge-out and rent season one...(7 episodes a night steez) and bought season 2 (loved the new take)

my little sister also got hooked and blessed me with season 3 on chinatown bootleg DVD but that was awful since the last episode was broken

the thing that attracted me in the first place was your talks on the educational system side of the scenario (season 4 i guess) so i have to watch the rest

Thanks again

BEST SHOW EVAR...

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I finally convinced my wife to give the show a chance and we started from S1...it took about three episodes but once she was willing to get there, she was hooked. We blew through the first season in about a week or so (which is saying a lot given that we don't have a lot of free time).

We started watching S2 last week and this is the first time I've rewatched S2 since it first aired. That's how I got introduced to the show and it's been interesting watching it the second time around.

I agree with the general criticism that, of the four seasons, it's the most uneven, which is to say that it's still great...just not as great. I don't think it's the white-ness factor except to say that S2, to me, feels overly ambitious and introduces too many new players, with an entirely different subculture, and thus, feels overloaded as a result. I admire the ambition, I just don't think it executes as cleanly as S1 does. I also think Ziggy is a surprisingly bad character for the show insofar as 1) the actor's acting is truly bad and 2) his character is mad predictable in a way that I don't generally associate with the show, especially not a main character (for the season at least).

My friend pointed out though that even if Ziggy's weak in some ways, you still feel bad for his character and the fact that he can still generate that kind of sympathy says something. (He, in contrast, thinks Snoop from S4 is a waste of space).

• (He, in contrast, thinks Snoop from S4 is a waste of space).
    throw this man into the dungeon!!!!!!!!!!

I also think Ziggy is a surprisingly bad character for the show insofar as 1) the actor's acting is truly bad and 2) his character is mad predictable in a way that I don't generally associate with the show, especially not a main character (for the season at least).

My friend pointed out though that even if Ziggy's weak in some ways, you still feel bad for his character and the fact that he can still generate that kind of sympathy says something. (He, in contrast, thinks Snoop from S4 is a waste of space).

The character Ziggy Sobotka is losely based upon a real dock worker named Pinky Bannon. Some of the things Ziggy does are based upon actual stories about Pinky, such as bringing a duck to the bar or the part where the other workers get him to punch Maui which results in his stranding on top of the stack.

To quote David Simon:

marlinmania asks: I am from Maryland, and spend a lot of time in Baltimore. I am very impressed this season with the Baltimore accents from the cast. Especially Ziggy and the Police Chief. Do you select local actors, or are they training in Dundalk?

David Simon: [/b]Accents are touch and go. It isn't possible to use an actor pool of Baltimore performers only, so the actors often have only a passing sense of the Bawlmer accent. When we can do it, we do. James Ransone who plays Ziggy is a Bawlmer boy and we encouraged him to use the accent. He has, delightfully. I've known twenty characters like him, and indeed his character is based very loosely on a legendary longshoreman named Pinkie Bannion, who used to take his duck to the bar and repeatedly expose "pretty boy" and all else. As they said in Bawlmer about Pinkie: "That boy ain't right."

http://www.hbo.com/thewire/interviews/david_simon.shtml

Perhaps the failing is that they tried to fit too much into the character, crushing his inevitable downfall and the resulting roll in Frank Sobotka's doom together with the stories about Pinky resulting in a somewhat cartoonish amalgam. Personally, I liked Ziggy, even though it was painful to see him so actively seek failure.

• I didn't mind Ziggy so much.

While he does have some great lines, to me the worst accent in the show is Cheese. Dude sounds like he's from Shaolin, not East Baltimore.

• I didn't mind Ziggy so much.

While he does have some great lines, to me the worst accent in the show is Cheese. Dude sounds like he's from Shaolin, not East Baltimore.

Definitely! Something about Wu-Tang members as actors, it just never really works when they are trying to play a character other than themselves.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts
    I watched the first episode (season 1) and was BORED, couldn't finish it. I've heard you have to make it through the first season to get into it. When does it get good exactly?

I've heard nothing but rave reviews so I'll have to get with the program and watch the full first season.

• I can't really remember if I was necessarilly hooked by the first show, but by the end of the season, I didn't hesitate to throw in the next one. Best I can tell you is keep watching. If you aren't feelin' it by episode 6 or so, then maybe it's just not for you. Everybody I know or have talked to who has made it through the first half of season one has been hooked from then on...

• Cheese's accent is def not on point.

Dom West slips into American-Cockney hybrid at times.

But I think we can all agree the Idris Elba is amazing with his accent. Not sure he exactly sounds like he's from B-More per se, but in 3 seasons of heavy dialogue he never once let his UK accent slip. dude sounds downright American.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I would say that if by epsiode four you're still not feeling it, The Wire may not be for you. Man was all like "what? another cops and crooks show? no thanks." and by epsiode three he was watching them back to back to back. wait til you meet both sides. at the very least, wait til Omar comes on screen!

• at the very least, wait til Omar comes on screen!

saying. there's some characters that are just amazing to watch. Bunk, Omar, Daniels. there's some performances on there that are unfuckwittable. some of those characters will have you watching episodes just to see them on screen.

• at the very least, wait til Omar comes on screen!

saying. there's some characters that are just amazing to watch. Bunk, Omar, Daniels. there's some performances on there that are unfuckwittable. some of those characters will have you watching episodes just to see them on screen.

so far omar is my favorite dude on that show, well him and avon....

finally got through season 2. ziggy became less of a dweeb, but... well... fucked is what he is. i can't wait to see that finger fiddlin, lip smackin, traitor, stringer get what he's got to get! should have season 3 disc 1 by the end of the week, providing netflix doesn't eff it up again...

thanks soulstrut, you served me well with this one.... but i agree that if, by the end of season one, you're not hooked, you likely won't be. it took me a few episodes before i was REALLY sucked in...

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I didn't mind Ziggy so much.

Who on the show would have the definitive Bodymore accent/way of speaking?

• I mean I am no expert but there are much truer accents on the show than Cheese's. Baltimore cats got a funny way of talking. Meth sounds too much like a rapperdude, he could've been a target for Chris & Snoop in season 4!