WHEN DOES THE NEW SEASON OF WIRE START?

djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I'm itchin'

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    I recently watched Season 1 on DVD - but I've heard Season 2 isn't so hot - should I skip ahead???

---

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    me too. i can't really find anything online.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    didnt one of them dc people bump into lester freeman and said august or september or something?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    HBO shows it on their promos for upcoming shows- along with Curb Your Enthusiasm- YES!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    I recently watched Season 1 on DVD - but I've heard Season 2 isn't so hot - should I skip ahead???

---

No - because it's a serial. I wasn't feeling season 2, either. It just felt like a linear network TV show to me. Definitely not up to the 1st's standard. I'm getting season 3 in the mail this coming week. If this season falls off, I'm buying season 1 used and calling it a day.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I finally copped season 4 and watched 1-10 in two days. gonna watch the remaining 3 this weekend.

I never thought they could outdo themselves after Season 3. they did! my dome was blown.

HBO is MEGA cagey about premier dates and DVD release dates. it's never on their website and hardly ever on those hollywood insider sites either.

anyway since I am in the midst of Season 4 I have a few comments/questions...

SEASON 4 SPOILERS

1. so what do we know about Daniels' shady past. I recall mention being made way back in Season 1 of "lots of dirt in the Western" back in the days, etc. but do we have any concrete facts, examples?

2. was Mikey's crackhead mom's man really molesting his little bro? that seems to be what they want you to beleive early on, when Mikey runs home when he hears dude picked up his little bro at school, and he is clearly afraid to leave his lil bro alone with him. and of course he tells Chris and Snoop that dude's a molester in order to get him offed. wolf tickets? just a ply or real?

3. anyone else experience a profound Carcetti shift? I thought he was a total scumbag in S3, playing Grey, cheating on his wife, etc. but he emerges in S4 as somewhat of an inspirational figure. anyone still feel negatively toward him?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    HBO shows it on their promos for upcoming shows- along with Curb Your Enthusiasm- YES!

I thought The End was, well, the end.

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cedric_Daniels

click on each of the characters to get a thorough run down. they address the mikey shit too. it's pretty dope. yeah...i said it.

---

No - because it's a serial. I wasn't feeling season 2, either. It just felt like a linear network TV show to me. Definitely not up to the 1st's standard. I'm getting season 3 in the mail this coming week. If this season falls off, I'm buying season 1 used and calling it a day.

DONT SKIP SEASON 2. leaving aside the continuing plots that will have you confused if you skip it, it's also A REALLY GOOD SEASON. it may not be as good as 1 or 3 or 4 but it still ranks as some of the best TV evar on a stand alone basis. I suggest those that weren't feeling it to peep it again a couple years down the line and see what you think. the shots, the dialogue, the politics, the performances. it's dope.

try not to compare it to the other seasons in our mind. look at it as a stand-alone minseries or movie if you have to.

it may not be up to the level of the other seasons, but Season 2 still >>>>> any season of nearly ANY OTHER SHOW on TV.

click on each of the characters to get a thorough run down. they address the mikey shit too. it's pretty dope. yeah...i said it.

yeah I doubt we will ever know more than that Season 1 stuff: basically that Daniels has got some ill-gotten scrillah, but we're not sure from where.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    SPOILZ

1. so what do we know about Daniels' shady past. I recall mention being made way back in Season 1 of "lots of dirt in the Western" back in the days, etc. but do we have any concrete facts, examples?

nothing concrete. the closest thing i remember was burrel saying some shit about how he had way too much money for being a cop or some shit. they will probably expand on it when daniels is in position to take burrel's spot

2. was Mikey's crackhead mom's man really molesting his little bro? that seems to be what they want you to beleive early on, when Mikey runs home when he hears dude picked up his little bro at school, and he is clearly afraid to leave his lil bro alone with him. and of course he tells Chris and Snoop that dude's a molester in order to get him offed. wolf tickets? just a ply or real?

it's pretty much strongly implied that he did

3. anyone else experience a profound Carcetti shift? I thought he was a total scumbag in S3, playing Grey, cheating on his wife, etc. but he emerges in S4 as somewhat of an inspirational figure. anyone still feel negatively toward him?
    keep watching

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

Casting

Lance Reddick was cast in the role after auditioning for the parts of Bunk Moreland and Bubbles. He was told that they were looking for "a name" to fill the Daniels role. Reddick has described the character as serious, intense and committed. [4]

dude straight killed it on the corner as a crackhead too, hahaha

keep watching

three more episodes to go. I'm geeking.

Randy is gonna get got somehow (owing to the snitch rumors).

Herc is going to get shit-canned or else severely demoted (props to Bubs!)

The inevitable Omar-Marlo showdown will occur (albeit without a body per Omar's promise to Bunk? Perhaps a Bodie-Omar collabo where Bodie does the dirt in revenge for Kevin?)

Duqwan seems like too nice of a kid not to get screwed somehow.

The bodies will start turning up in the vacants I imagine....

oh and that crooked beat cop that keeps fucking with the kids and stole Omar's ring -- THAT dude is gonna get his somehow.

looks like I'm in for an action-packed last three episodes.

• I'm pretty sure that they're still filming..

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    spoiler!!!

it's pretty much strongly implied that he did

my thought was that mikeys moms man molested mikey and mikey didnt want that to happen to his littel bro thus his overprotectiveness and avoidance of getting close to other male figures in his life like Cutty.

i hope they release season 4 on dvd well before the start of season 5, i need to rewatch and analyze again, shit was deep.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Some of the most hilarious shit was the little dude in your avatar, Brian...

"Someone stole the stash, Nay. ... That busted down the door; that's how they do."

I don't think that dude molested the kid. I think it was just a simple power struggle. Dude wanted to be the man of the house, and the big guy was in the way. He knew Chris and them would take him out if they thought he was a pederast.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    yeah, sorry that's what i meant. been a minute since i seen it. his reaction with cutty at the boxing match tells all

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I finally copped season 4 and watched 1-10 in two days. gonna watch the remaining 3 this weekend.

I never thought they could outdo themselves after Season 3. they did! my dome was blown.

HBO is MEGA cagey about premier dates and DVD release dates. it's never on their website and hardly ever on those hollywood insider sites either.

wait, season 4 is out on DVD??!! or did you get a boot?

wait, season 4 is out on DVD??!! or did you get a boot?

I got a boot.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    From the mouth of Clarke Peters, Detective Lester Freamon, Season 5 starts around September.

• Did I ever tell you guys that I sat in on the set a couple of months ago? A friend of mine wrote one of next season's episodes.

The sets are fucking incredible. I got to walk around the police station, homicide unit, mayor's office, etc. The level of detail is mindblowing.

The scene I watched was a really short one, maybe a minute long. Pretty amazing to see how it's done though.. got to meet McNulty, Kima and Bunk. Now what I really want to do is watch an outdoor scene..

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    i still have four more episodes to go in season 4 so i had to keep myself from reading through this thread, but just wanted to let you dudes know season 5 was gonna air this fall but someone at hbeeoh said it got pushed to early '08.

bonus: i spotted avon at the arclight on sunday. i wasn't going to say anything but he ended up jumping in the elevator i was in so i had to give due props. that's it. i'll be checking in after i'm done with season 4.

oh, and SEASON TWO RULEZ
    they really expanded the scope of the show in two. i remember watching a few episodes in and being blwon away at how ambitious the show was with all the different storylines. of course, they pulled it all together flawlessly. in my opinion 2 stands up with any other season of the wire.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

---

No. No, no, no, no, nonononononono. No.

Season 2 is the shit. If you're more fascinated by the dynamic between The Detail and The Barksdale Crew, then you might find it less compelling at first, but it's worth sticking with. You might find that certain aspects of Season 3 don't make as much sense as they would if you'd seen Season 2 either. Furthermore, skip Season 2 and you miss one of the greatest Wire moments; the exchanges between Levy and Omar at Bird's trial.

Incidentally, there's a monthly magazine over here called The Word which did a big feature on The Wire in their August issue. FX, the channel which carries it in the UK, is about to re-run the entire thing from the end of July, so The Word ran a big piece called "Why You Must Watch 'The Wire'". I happen to know a couple of the associate editors of the mag, and they knew I'd been watching it since it first started showing over here, so I get quoted in the piece as one of The Wire's "ferociously committed" and "evangelical" fans.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

SEASON 4 SPOILERS

Not yet, no. It's worth considering that we're expected to assume that nobody is completely clean, but as Daniels rises, I can imagine a plot thread in Season 5 where the press does an expose on his past, possibly with the complicity of rivals like Rawls or Burrell.

I think it's more about Mikey having been molested by him (or another older male) in the past, and subsequently being aware that little mans is at risk. There's all kinds of signals pointing to it, most notably the way Mikey feels uncomfortable being alone in the car with Cutty, and the wordless exchange between Mikey and Chris when Mikey asks him to whack the guy, which suggests that Chris has been there too. The scene where Chris literally beats the guy to a pulp is one of the most shocking scenes of violence I've ever seen on the screen.

I thought he was just another ambitious politician at first, and there's still traces of that at points during his campaign, but he seems to become increasingly more troubled by this, and the ambition is replaced by something closer to actual integrity. The later scenes, after Royce concedes and Carcetti gets to work as the mayor elect, are beautiful studies in the way one kind of political ambition can so often be thwarted by another altogether different kind, and one that uses bureaucracy almost as a weapon.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

SEASON 4 SPOILERS

Not yet, no. It's worth considering that we're expected to assume that nobody is completely clean, but as Daniels rises, I can imagine a plot thread in Season 5 where the press does an expose on his past, possibly with the complicity of rivals like Rawls or Burrell.

I think it's more about Mikey having been molested by him (or another older male) in the past, and subsequently being aware that little mans is at risk. There's all kinds of signals pointing to it, most notably the way Mikey feels uncomfortable being alone in the car with Cutty, and the wordless exchange between Mikey and Chris when Mikey asks him to whack the guy, which suggests that Chris has been there too. The scene where Chris literally beats the guy to a pulp is one of the most shocking scenes of violence I've ever seen on the screen.

I thought he was just another ambitious politician at first, and there's still traces of that at points during his campaign, but he seems to become increasingly more troubled by this, and the ambition is replaced by something closer to actual integrity. The later scenes, after Royce concedes and Carcetti gets to work as the mayor elect, are beautiful studies in the way one kind of political ambition can so often be thwarted by another altogether different kind, and one that uses bureaucracy almost as a weapon.
    i was more sympathetic to royce after the whole hamsterdam thing. but carcetti developed a real good bullshit detector and that dude who was his campaign advisor/manager was the fuckin man. royce's office "passing of the baton" was graceful too, although he should have told carcetti after carcetti sat in the mayoral chair, "boy, you wouldnt believe how much head i got in that there chair."

yeah, chris definitely looked like he was exorcising some demons on mikeys pop. molested as a child = marlo's assassin later in life...natural progression?

i want to see some of snoop's girlfriends in season 5

Omar vs.Bird & LEvy is the illest. "i shot him in the hind quarters"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    "i used to love them mytts. stuff was deep.....truly"

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

SEASON 4 SPOILERS

Co-sign on all that.

I am holding out on the last episode of Season 4 - I just can't do it - it will all be over then and I'm waiting FOREVER for Season 5.

Also co-sign on how good Season 2 is, Shakespearean! And nothing to cough at, it is a beautifully shot season, too, the Harbour and waterfront scenes look amazing to me.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

---

Just to cosign on other people: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A "SKIPPABLE" WIRE SEASON.

Does. Not. Exist.

And in any case, you'd be missing a shit load of character and story development. Regardless, you will NOT regret watching Season 2.

• Saying there is ANYTHING wrong with Season 2 of "The Wire" is downright short-sighted. They flipped it. They can do the streets, they can do some other shit.

Soulhawk, I think you'll dig it just fine. Don't miss.