'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    motown67 said:
    yuichi said:
    Good luck with your Warriors Johnny.....

Until we get hot in the playoffs and you jump on the bandwagon

Yea right. Maybe you guys can get the Mavericks in the first round again. "BELIEVE" was pretty cute.

batmon said:
    I remember when Jackson joined the Lakers, and to me he was a Chicago dude.

Its gonna take a little time for me to hear this dude talmbout the Knicks.

Phil can do good, that's for sure. But the price tag on the few players/coaches/executives that are proven winners is getting ridiculous (in most sports). By the time, EVERYONE catches on, it's no longer the best investment.....The NBA is definitely more popular globally compared to 10 years ago, and so maybe that's why team owners get a piece of that as well? Justifying the increased spending on payroll...I don't know.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Phil can do good, that's for sure. But the price tag on the few players/coaches/executives that are proven winners is getting ridiculous (in most sports). By the time, EVERYONE catches on, it's no longer the best investment.....The NBA is definitely more popular globally compared to 10 years ago, and so maybe that's why team owners get a piece of that as well? Justifying the increased spending on payroll...I don't know.

It took Pat Riley 10 years from when he joined the Heat as the coach to the first chip in 2006. And he had Shaq.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    batmon said:

He's been there before...hell he already got two rings with em'....

It's going to be very interesting to see how he does. Anybody know if there is any natrual/ideal progression for a front office position like that? I mean, does it typically go...'win a bunch of rings as a coach...chill for a while...then take a front office job'? Isn't that what Reilly did?

JectWon said:
    batmon said:

He's been there before...hell he already got two rings with em'....

It's going to be very interesting to see how he does. Anybody know if there is any natrual/ideal progression for a front office position like that? I mean, does it typically go...'win a bunch of rings as a coach...chill for a while...then take a front office job'? Isn't that what Reilly did?

Im in NYC, and I know of his roots as a Knick but dude was not a star on those teams.

And I never seen him play, get props for being some unheralded role player, or even seen highlights.
    Ive seen plenty w/ DeBuschure, Bradley, Jesus, Clyde and the others.

My memory is him coming in after Collins in Chicago.

Thats like Micheal Doleac returning to Miami after coaching two teams in two other cities.

Riley was Coach & President for a while...IIRC....and it took 10 years for a ring.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Right now he is the Zen Master. Untouchable.
    He has 5 years, from the front office, to make the Knicks Champions.
    Nothing less will suffice.
    Making it to the final and losing, not going to cut it.

It is a near impossible task.
    He may well fail.
    So the question is, what becomes of his legacy?
    Does he quit being Zen Master and become, Really Good Shifu?

I wouldnt call not getting a ring a fail. If can make the Knicks a consistent Playoff team for a good decade that would be suffice.

During the ewing years they at least were usually in the mix.

Of course hes gonna wanna win the whole thing but if they can establish a somewhat winning culture I wouldnt call him and the organization a failure.

Fair.
    I thought earlier you had suggested that NYers wanted a championship and they wanted it now. I must have misread a winning team for championship.

I have no doubt that if the organization works with him, not against him, the Knicks could be a winning team.

LaserWolf said:
    Fair.
    I thought earlier you had suggested that NYers wanted a championship and they wanted it now. I must have misread a winning team for championship.

I have no doubt that if the organization works with him, not against him, the Knicks could be a winning team.

NY fans have been bamboozled by the Knicks organization to think theyre always contenders.
    Dolan was talmbout they could win a chip this year cause they won 50 last year. But anyone really watching knows they were overachieving with a perimeter dependent 3point shooting team. That shit doesnt work in the Playoffs and got their asses handed to them then.
    After losing Kidds passing/leadership, Novak and Copeland 3s, Rasheed, Kenyon, Thomas veteran locker room contributions, a suspended JR Smith, a rehabbiing Stat, and an injured Chandler, they were not the same team with the same circumstances that led to the late season improvement last year to get them 50 wins.
    This time around i hope Jackson can balance the expectations to have a long range plan.

batmon said:
    they were overachieving with a perimeter dependent 3point shooting team. That shit doesnt work in the Playoffs and got their asses handed to them then.

Describes my team, and their likely future, perfectly.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

An important aspect of the Knicks saga moving forward will be whether Carmelo Anthony is willing to accept high expectations. With the Zen Master's entry into the dance, he will set very high expectations for his star player (and the team as a whole). The question is whether Melo has the character to demand more of himself. In my opinion, lack of character is his biggest shortfall. I find it unfathomable that a guy with his skill...one who can score off-the-dribble, back to the basket, and can shoot 3-pointers...has not become more of a team leader. Thus, my prediction is that he will wilt under the pressure of high expectations, ala Dwight Howard in LA, and bolt from the team.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I agree, but i look at how Cleveland failed in getting LeBron the proper help and subpar coaching.....and he bolted after trying so hard.

Melo isnt getting any younger, and i think even if he became a leader and altered his game, the proper compliments wont come to fruition until 3 or 4 years down the line. Does he stick it out or join a team thats on their way?

At this point dude is gambling his last years of his prime on a historically inept NYC management and a rookie President whose had the luxury of having multiple superstars/stars on his dynasties.

LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:
    they were overachieving with a perimeter dependent 3point shooting team. That shit doesnt work in the Playoffs and got their asses handed to them then.

Arent you a Portland dude?

Sheeit....yall are on your way if you get a bench.
    Lillard is still young. And u have an entered in his prime Aldridge.

batmon said:
    I agree, but i look at how Cleveland failed in getting LeBron the proper help and subpar coaching.....and he bolted after trying so hard.

Melo isnt getting any younger, and i think even if he became a leader and altered his game, the proper compliments wont come to fruition until 3 or 4 years down the line. Does he stick it out or join a team thats on their way?

At this point dude is gambling his last years of his prime on a historically inept NYC management and a rookie President whose had the luxury of having multiple superstars/stars on his dynasties.

Melo apologist revealed for real doggie........smh

batmon said:
    LaserWolf said:
    batmon said:

Arent you a Portland dude?

Sheeit....yall are on your way if you get a bench.
    Lillard is still young. And u have an entered in his prime Aldridge.

Thank you.
    Lillard is great, I love him. Our coach does not have a regular bench rotation. He uses who ever he thinks will match up when ever he thinks they are needed. Which I like, but I have never seen it this late in the season. I like our bench.
    Sadly Aldridge has been mostly out the last few weeks, bruised back or something.
    I like our center, Lopez, he is young and steadily improving.
    But at the end of the day "overachieving with a perimeter dependent 3point shooting team".
    As has been pointed out, you get to the finals with superstars, not good role players.
    Teams are starting to figure out that if you double team the ball you will beat Portland.

yuichi said:
    batmon said:

Melo apologist revealed for real doggie........smh

Hypocritical Iverson apologist.

A lot of these dudes on the current Knicks roster are actually pretty good. Only thing missing is a strong leader. I was just revisiting his Denver days, and when he won, he won it with a great coach, George Karl, and with a great leader, Chauncey Billups.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks

I don't see anyone on that current roster that can provide that. Melo is by default the leader.

yuichi said:
    A lot of these dudes on the current Knicks roster are actually pretty good. Only thing missing is a strong leader. I was just revisiting his Denver days, and when he won, he won it with a great coach, George Karl, and with a great leader, Chauncey Billups.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/team/roster/_/name/ny/new-york-knicks

I don't see anyone on that current roster that can provide that. Melo is by default the leader.

A leader isnt the only thing missing though. Melo has no Pippen. And Stoudamire is the second most "talented" dude....hes old and doesnt rebound.
    Or a Allan Houston to a Latrell Sprewell. Who else can make opposing defenses focus thier schemes on.
    Last year there was Kidd and Rasheed as the veterans, and Melo could do him.....and that still wasnt enough.

Did Iverson make his teammates better?
    He was surrounded by a specific tailor made role playing team built around his skill set. He didnt have to be a classic leader or become an all around player. Yet with Larry Brown, Eric Snow, and Dikembe Mutombo, he went to the Finals. Vets,role players, great coaching , and a knucklehead scoring champ.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    yuichi said:
    motown67 said:
    yuichi said:

Yea right. Maybe you guys can get the Mavericks in the first round again. "BELIEVE" was pretty cute.

How quickly some forget. You jumped on the bandwagon last year.

motown67 said:
    yuichi said:
    motown67 said:
    yuichi said:

How quickly some forget. You jumped on the bandwagon last year.

I probably said something to the effect of "STEPH, BEAST MODE, GAME OVER."

This is not bandwagon, this is called acknowledging greatness when I see it. Merely stating the obvious.

I checked the other thread....u jus praised Jackson after hattin'.

Pacers gotta crush the Knicks winning streak tonight and make Phil go meditate.

Bill Simmons must be the most annoying voice on air since Jeff Breen or Tom Tolbert.

Dude seems to have the same stick up his ass when calling games as these other guys.

• yuichi said:
    Bill Simmons must be the most annoying voice on air since Jeff Breen or Tom Tolbert.

Dude seems to have the same stick up his ass when calling games as these other guys.

Simmons has forgotten more about basketball than your entire family will ever know.

Can you not bring my family into this? Thanks. First time hearing this dude calling a game, but this is absolutely grueling. Epitome of what should NOT be on the air. I can't imagine letting stats guys or absolute dweebs like this on an NFL network.

"My man Eddie Murray"

"Just look at the Spurs bench. These guys have been carefully chosen. It's interesting what Pops did with Stephen Jackson. "

Mike Tirico, totally getting annoyed lol that was funny.

• http://sports.yahoo.com/news/how-kyle-lowry-transformed-the-raptors-and-became-of-the-nba-s-top-point-guards-225543400.html

great redemption story happening in my hometown. happy i get to see it every night.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    Iverson lel

• yuichi said:
    a great coach, George Karl

Oh, man oh fucking man.

Bill Simmons, who has forgotten more about basketball than your entire EXTENDED family ever knew, said:

KarlÔÇÖs teams have usually fallen apart in the playoffs, with three exceptions: the 2001 Bucks (screwed in the Eastern finals by comically one-sided officiating), 1996 SuperSonics (took MJÔÇÖs Bulls to six) and 1993 Sonics (lost in seven to Phoenix in the infamous 64-FT game). HeÔÇÖs lost in the first round 10 of the past 12 times. HeÔÇÖs one of two coaches who lost in Round 1 as a no. 1 seed (in ÔÇÖ94). HeÔÇÖs lost 34 of 53 playoff games in Denver. For his career, he has a .599 winning percentage in the regular season and a .424 winning percentage in the playoffs. He couldnÔÇÖt make it work with three high-profile stars in their primes: Shawn Kemp, Ray Allen and Carmelo Anthony (all of whom ended up leaving). He even presided over USA BasketballÔÇÖs loathsome collapse at the 2002 World Championships.

And look, a lot of this stuff is circumstantial ÔÇö you canÔÇÖt hang it on Karl that heÔÇÖs never coached a top-25 all-timer at any point of his career, that Shawn Kemp lost his marbles, that heÔÇÖs had bad luck with officiating, even that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time in 2002. Give him the 2000 Lakers or the 1992 Bulls and IÔÇÖm pretty sure he wouldnÔÇÖt have screwed things up. But thereÔÇÖs always been a myth that heÔÇÖs one of THE best coaches, which just doesnÔÇÖt hold water ÔÇö a great example was what happened in 2009, when a quality Denver team was tied at two with a beatable Lakers team in the Western Finals, then inexplicably turtled in Game 5 and Game 6 (at home, no less). Historically, heÔÇÖs on the same level as Rick Adelman, Don Nelson and other very good coaches who werenÔÇÖt quite great. He never had his ÔÇ£Carlisle in 2011ÔÇ│ or ÔÇ£Brown in 2004ÔÇ│ moment. It just never happened. That has to mean something, right?

http://grantland.com/features/thirty-questions-part-2/

George Karl is a great coach like "Garfield" is a great cartoon.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Bulls beat Pacers to square season series at 2-2, each team's wins on their home floor, but you can just feel the world closing in on Indiana. Batmon's boys best right that ship, and soon. They might lose home court!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    So...what do yall think about Greg Oden? He looked aiight last night. I'd love to see dude contribute in the playoffs, just for the story alone.

Seems like it's safe to say that he probably won't live up to his draft day hype ever but might still be able to be a great player, no? I guess it's way too early to speculate.

I assume that he could be awesome but the limitations of his body will hold him back...Not a very bold prediction, I know.