'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    What about Linsanity? You gotta admit that was a magical 10 or 15 games for the city. It was team ball. I could have cared less if he was Asian. The movement of the ball, and the chemistry he had with Landry Fields, Tyson Chandler. They should have kept that by any means necessary. If that meant having Melo come off the bench or paying Lin an extra 10 mil....

We've exhausted Lin too much before. Dude was not going to do that for a whole season.

Now it would have been nice if he was still the point guard alongside Melo, but he needed the ball in his hands to be effective.
    And Melo aint havin' that, especially a non-All-Star. And he's aint gettin' paid to come off the bench.
    The Knicks could have let Lin grow within the system but dude was smart and LEFT NYC for more money.
    He's a regular-ass PG in Houston who doesnt even start.
    So it would have been a fiasco if dude played like he does now in NYC. He came down to Earth.
    Thats the past.

The Knicks wont have money/space until 15/16. They need to retool and get some help next to Melo if he stays.
    Phil Jackson needs to be like Bird and tell the media/fans that we are going to suck for the next 4 years.
    Next year is wash, then they get help the following year, and then start building from there.
    Stop with the fake overnight solutions and lower the expectations.
    They also need a GM to be on some hunting shit for left-field talent.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    What about Linsanity? You gotta admit that was a magical 10 or 15 games for the city. It was team ball. I could have cared less if he was Asian. The movement of the ball, and the chemistry he had with Landry Fields, Tyson Chandler. They should have kept that by any means necessary. If that meant having Melo come off the bench or paying Lin an extra 10 mil....

We've exhausted Lin too much before. Dude was not going to do that for a whole season.

Now it would have been nice if he was still the point guard alongside Melo, but he needed the ball in his hands to be effective.
    And Melo aint havin' that, especially a non-All-Star. And he's aint gettin' paid to come off the bench.
    The Knicks could have let Lin grow within the system but dude was smart and LEFT NYC for more money.
    He's a regular-ass PG in Houston who doesnt even start.
    So it would have been a fiasco if dude played like he does now in NYC. He came down to Earth.
    Thats the past.

The Knicks wont have money/space until 15/16. They need to retool and get some help next to Melo if he stays.
    Phil Jackson needs to be like Bird and tell the media/fans that we are going to suck for the next 4 years.
    Next year is wash, then they get help the following year, and then start building from there.
    Stop with the fake overnight solutions and lower the expectations.
    They also need a GM to be on some hunting shit for left-field talent.

Lin was the obvious catalyst, and last time I checked it takes a "team" to win. Not Melo and his shots.

Regular-ass PG is really all one needs, if your other four get quality shots. Same thing in Houston, he gets his 12 and 4 assists in 30min. a game. That is a good role player, for a team that is already loaded with scorers. That is all one needs.....Last I checked Derek Fisher wasn't posting 20 and 8 a game...Neither was Mario Chalmers.

NYK and LAC are two teams that kinda got it confused. They both wanna "stack up" and make their benches deep. Turkoglu? Grant Hill? Big Baby? come on man.....it's like someone whispered in Clipper management's ear these past few years, "you need left-field talent, good role players to win".

At this point if I were the Knicks, I'd trade Melo. Dude is deadweight. Ain't no contender being built around him. He got the AI syndrome. Get Hubie Brown, find some hungry but "smart" players, and follow the Grizzlies model. Phil's only gonna make 'em better though.

yuichi said:
    Lin was the obvious catalyst, and last time I checked it takes a "team" to win. Not Melo and his shots.

Regular-ass PG is really all one needs, if your other four get quality shots. Same thing in Houston, he gets his 12 and 4 assists in 30min. a game. That is a good role player, for a team that is already loaded with scorers. That is all one needs.....Last I checked Derek Fisher wasn't posting 20 and 8 a game...Neither was Mario Chalmers.

They went 36-30 with Lin. 53-29 the next year without him.

Melo was at 28.7 per w/ Felton doing an adequate job at the point w/ Kidd. Lin wasnt their savior or some catalyst.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Melo was at 28.7 per w/ Felton doing an adequate job at the point w/ Kidd. Lin wasnt their savior or some catalyst.

Melo's 28.7 don't mean schitt, if he ain't helping the team in other ways! jeezus. what part of that is so difficult to understand.

36-30 record. and how many games did that include Melo?

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:

Melo's 28.7 don't mean schitt, if he ain't helping the team in other ways! jeezus. what part of that is so difficult to understand.

36-30 record. and how many games did that include Melo?

Melo went to the second round. Lin the catalyst, got knocked in the first round and was benched in half the games.
    U choose to turn this into a Melo vs Lin thang. Thas on u.

Why isnt Lin the catalyst starting this year?

Just tell the truth why your dick riding. Just own up to it.

As always you miss the forest for the trees. I guess it's a New York thing.

I cringe when I think about Melo's leadership skills in the huddle. The dude will NEVER win a ring. NEVER.

And if he gets anywhere near a Finals appearance, it's on Phil, and some other players. Not his one-dimensional skills.

Jabari Parker has more upside than Melo at this point in his career.

Also, I'd take Kyrie Irving over Chris Paul.

It's not a 3 on 3. It's a 5 on 5.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

To chime in on the Batmon-Yuichi debate, Melo nor Lin are sufficient to solve the Knicks' many problems. To me, they suffer from "Minnesota Timberwolves syndrome" where they trade budding talent prematurely due to lack of vision. They have dealt away a number of quality players (e.g., David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields, Danilo Gallanari, etc.) to ultimately arrive at the butt-ass roster they have today. They could've built a quality team composed of heady role players (ala the San Antonio Spurs), but instead, they chose to cast their hopes on an egomaniac ballhog (Melo; the AI comparison was spot-on), head-cases (e.g., JR Smith, Raymond Felton), has-beens running on re-treads (e.g., Amare Stoudamire, Kenyon Martin), and never-will-bees (e.g., Iman Shumpert, Shannon Brown, Pablo Prigioni). It is a recipe for disaster that even the Zenmaster cannot fix. As stated earlier, this is what has to happen to improve the team:

...then, start rebuilding from scratch.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• the scary part about the NBA is that at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, the knicks or the lakers could shut down the league with a chequebook.

lebron and kevin love to NYK. book it.

vintageinfants said:
    the scary part about the NBA is that at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, the knicks or the lakers could shut down the league with a chequebook..

I dont recall the Knicks ever being successful w/ this tact.

The Lakers.....yep.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    the scary part about the NBA is that at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, the knicks or the lakers could shut down the league with a chequebook..

I dont recall the Knicks ever being successful w/ this tact.

The Lakers.....yep.

not so much that knicks could do it and make it work, but moreso they could write a cheque and take talent away from a real contender. money is NOT an issue for that franchise.

larry brown cashed $26mil in cheques from the knicks & the bobcats in a year where he coached zero games. did anyone even flinch at that?

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

To chime in on the Batmon-Yuichi debate, Melo nor Lin are sufficient to solve the Knicks' many problems. To me, they suffer from "Minnesota Timberwolves syndrome" where they trade budding talent prematurely due to lack of vision. They have dealt away a number of quality players (e.g., David Lee, Wilson Chandler, Landry Fields, Danilo Gallanari, etc.) to ultimately arrive at the butt-ass roster they have today. They could've built a quality team composed of heady role players (ala the San Antonio Spurs), but instead, they chose to cast their hopes on an egomaniac ballhog (Melo; the AI comparison was spot-on), head-cases (e.g., JR Smith, Raymond Felton), has-beens running on re-treads (e.g., Amare Stoudamire, Kenyon Martin), and never-will-bees (e.g., Iman Shumpert, Shannon Brown, Pablo Prigioni). It is a recipe for disaster that even the Zenmaster cannot fix. As stated earlier, this is what has to happen to improve the team:

...then, start rebuilding from scratch.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

What's up Stacks. Gotta agree with your points, especially about letting good players go prematurely and being short-sighted about their moves. But I stand firm on Lin and that magical run they had. I can assure you (without being in that locker room) that the mood was a little better because they were playing team ball. I am not nearly saying they were gonna be contenders. I am merely saying, EVERYONE was getting a piece, and New York fans were cheering. That is all.....

Just me, but I'd rather have a TEAM that goes .500 and is ONE star away from being a .600 team consistently, then one that tanks with a supposed SUPERSTAR. You think Kobe would let that shit happen? Naw. He'd play 40+ minutes every night to the end of the season, rupture his achilles and fulfill the promise that the Lakers would make the 8th spot. Not to say, Melo doesn't try. It's just that his leadership skills are clearly limited.

A smart investor always cuts his losses.

vintageinfants said:
    the scary part about the NBA is that at ANY GIVEN MOMENT, the knicks or the lakers could shut down the league with a chequebook.

lebron and kevin love to NYK. book it.

Last time, the Lakers tried to do that....

SONNED by the '04 Pistons (a team in every sense of the word)

Lebron would only go to New York, not for the basketball, but for endorsement deals and business connections.

The seasons between Shaq and Gasol. Kobe wasnt playin no team ball.

How in the hell you score 81 playin "team" ball?
    He wasnt a leader when he wasnt trusting his "teammates".

That shit is an illusion.

All the teams that win have Superstars and they dont play team ball in the clutch.
    It goes to Jordan (to go solo) when the Triangle gets compromised.

That college idea that everyone gets balance touches is not what happens on the court.

You have point guards that dominate the ball and still get their team or the other star involved
    Or you can have a PG who doesnt dominate the ball ,and gets folks or the other starinvolved.
    Both strategies are effective.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Lebron would only go to New York, not for the basketball, but for endorsement deals and business connections.

Lebron has no need whatsoever for NYC to get these things, and he knows that better than anybody.

Jordan was the highest paid current or former athlete last year and Lebron will probably take his place when his time comes. Jordan didn't need NYC.

Chance that Lebron ever comes to the Knicks = 0%

MSG is a place where careers go to die, no way Lebron is touching that.

• I would like to have a gallon jug filled with the tears of Knicks fans.

Ha ha.

• raptors went into penalty with more than 4:00 left on the clock in 3 of the 4 quarters today.

meanwhile, kyle lowry got knee'd in the head (admitted), no call.

edit: i watched it on the phoenix feed and they were wondering about the amount of whistles.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yuki ignoring the basic point that Lin left of his own accord to get overpaid to ride pine and sell jerseys

• nothing about money, endorsements or (LoL) "business contacts"...

lebron would go to new york because if he brought a chip to manhattan after 40+ years he would be immortal. imagine "linsanity" multiplied by #knickstape to the power of phil jackson. even in miami he's an "also ran" to shaq and d. wade.

the cachet involved with being the guy to "save new york" is tempting to any person with his talent and immediately addresses his desire for legacy.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Yuki ignoring the basic point that Lin left of his own accord to get overpaid to ride pine and sell jerseys

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    nothing about money, endorsements or (LoL) "business contacts"...

lebron would go to new york because if he brought a chip to manhattan after 40+ years he would be immortal. imagine "linsanity" multiplied by #knickstape to the power of phil jackson. even in miami he's an "also ran" to shaq and d. wade.

the cachet involved with being the guy to "save new york" is tempting to any person with his talent and immediately addresses his desire for legacy.

Except everybody knows that will never happen under the Dark Cloud Of The Dolans.

Well maybe, just maybe now that Zen Dog has signed on...

vintageinfants said:

Hes already immortal.

The fixation of fans of NYCs rescuing is only amongst the fans.
    Players can get big money, immortality and rings outside of NY.
    Hes past chasing rings on top of him playing underneath Pat Riley who he wouldnt 'betray' after the brand humility he got with leaving Cleveland.

Im sick of talking bout shit thats dead already.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

Hes already immortal.

The fixation of fans of NYCs rescuing is only amongst the fans.
    Players can get big money, immortality and rings outside of NY.
    Hes past chasing rings on top of him playing underneath Pat Riley who he wouldnt 'betray' after the brand humility he got with leaving Cleveland.

Im sick of talking bout shit thats dead already.

you know what? i'm going to eat a bit of shit and completely change my mind and agree with you.

i keep thinking about HIS career like he's going to want to be the best of all time and continue to push and fight towards being "undisputed-number-one-greatest-guy-ever". everyone's trying to imagine what HE's going to do with HIS legacy, and that's way fucked up. i'm looking at it like he's not even a human being, because maybe that's what being "the greatest" is about, that he could never be a normal-ass person. maybe his successes to date are kind of enough for him, and not in the sense that he's going to stop trying to maintain, but that he's content in not trying to blow it up and do it all over again somewhere else. maybe the fact that he's already in "the conversation" is enough. imagine you were clearly the best already and people kept talking about how you need to be more and do more? that would be some brutal shit. yes, new york has the resources to go get him. but from his side, why?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Phil Jackson...Knicks...why?

He's 68 years old...been out of the league sine 2011.

He's a very very extraordinary basketball mind...but wouldn't the Knicks situation/plight require that he run the front office well into his early 70's?

Just seems like an organization trying to lazily throw money at an immortal basketball name that might well be too old and out of touch to put in the work required to truly right the ship.

I'd love to get the Strut consensus on this one.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

He definitely made the smart move, leaving that dumpster.

My main point is that, Melo ain't gonna win you shit. If you are seeking titles, then that's not the guy.

Good luck with your Warriors Johnny.....

JectWon said:
    Phil Jackson...Knicks...why?

He's 68 years old...been out of the league sine 2011.

He's a very very extraordinary basketball mind...but wouldn't the Knicks situation/plight require that he run the front office well into his early 70's?

Just seems like an organization trying to lazily throw money at an immortal basketball name that might well be too old and out of touch to put in the work required to truly right the ship.

I'd love to get the Strut consensus on this one.

12 million a year. for 5 years. And the flexibility to go to LA.

I remember when Jackson joined the Lakers, and to me he was a Chicago dude.

Its gonna take a little time for me to hear this dude talmbout the Knicks.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    yuichi said:
    Good luck with your Warriors Johnny.....

Until we get hot in the playoffs and you jump on the bandwagon