'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Biggest revelation in the Ray Felton gun possession case? His soon-to-be-ex wife's maiden name was Raymondo?!? Ariane, also known as Mrs. Raymond Raymondo-Felton because she did, indeed, hyphenate. Maybe the rub is that the charges will allow the Knicks to terminate his deal? He's signed through next year with a player option for $4.5 million in the 2015/16 campaign.

• white_tea said:
    Biggest revelation in the Ray Felton gun possession case? His soon-to-be-ex wife's maiden name was Raymondo?!? Ariane, also known as Mrs. Raymond Raymondo-Felton because she did, indeed, hyphenate. Maybe the rub is that the charges will allow the Knicks to terminate his deal? He's signed through next year with a player option for $4.5 million in the 2015/16 campaign.

i was howling at this when i read the report, glad i'm not the only one.

b/w

dwight howard has now missed more free throws this season than the entire portland trailblazers franchise.

• footage from that game doesn't exist

:holygrail:

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I love the NBA but James Harden took 3 steps in making a layup. Cmon refs the "Eurostep" is just another word for letting guys travel

And refs while we're at it how about telling players they have to establish a pivot foot and stick with it. They can't switch back and forth and back again.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Someone's aggro tonight! Fundamentals are weak. No more Olajuwons or Stocktons in the league for sure. These kids have one year in college and a lifetime of dominating the youth leagues..then they go straight to the pros based on athleticism and potential. Jerry West is right in saying the "draft is weak". Takes them like 3 years to develop into something decent.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:
    Pacers did Granger wrong. But I understand the move. Cap room to secure Stephenson.

I was hoping that he would stay w/ the second until throughout the Playoffs.

Dude kept the franchise afloat during the post-brawl+O'Brian years and in a "nice/perfect" world he reaps the benefits.

Where does Turner play? Off the bench? Insurance in case Lance leaves for more money?

Hey Batmon,

I think dealing Granger was a great move, as I don't think his health will hold-up for the duration of a longer-term deal. He's 30 (or 31, I think) so I don't think there is a lot more mileage left on his already compromised tires. He could end up becoming (to a lesser degree) Amare Stoudamire on the Knicks, a banged-up player with a long-term deal who provides marginal contributions to success. Also, Evan Turner can give the Pacers some quality minutes off the bench owing to his playoff experience and sound overall game.

On another note, I think the Lakers were stupid in signing Kobe Bryant for 2 more years. He will never play out that time on his pretty much busted tires. The Lakers have more than gotten their worth out of Kobe, so they should've let his contract expire and move on. Sentamentaility is great and all, but at the end of the day, sports franchises are businesses. Success is the name of the game, and with that in mind, hard decisions must be made to ensure long-term team viability. Eddie DeBartolo used this shrewd strategy expertly in managing the aging 1990s 49ers.

Here's another one: The OKC Thunder should've dealt Russell Westbrook before the trade deadline. He is an abysmal playmaker and the Thunder will NEVER win a title with him at the point. Reggie Jackson is the PG of the team, period! Their record since Westbrook's return says it all.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If Boston can get rid of The Truth no veteran is safe from the new era of "Quick Rebuild" while bullshittin' the fans into thinking a new LeBron(in the draft) will get us back into contention.

I dontknow why cats still hype of the draft and draft picks when these dudes dont even come into the game halfway developed.
    As good as LeBron was he didnt have a jump shot for a couple of seasons.

I always like too see that veteran from previous eras stick w/ the team and come off the bench as well as temper the locker room.

Jeff Foster was the last remnant of the Reggie Miller era. Granger was the Post-Brawl franchise representative.

Bird is not playing.

Even if he's shooting to beat Miami, I'm skeptical that we can beat OKC in a Finals matchup......and even they will have problems the way LAC and the rest of the West is slowly getting their shit together.

OKC 0-3 since Westbrook returned. I say they still need an INSIDE contribution. Ibaka is a jump shooter.
    I dont see them dumpin Westbrook just yet. After Durant, they dont have a second offensive option.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Batmon,

I agree that nowadays the draft is rarely the answer to a given team's woes. Instead, I think the front office systems need more strategic direction and analyses of where the holes are in a team's profile. For instance, as you said with OKC, their 'hole' is indeed in the middle. They need a strong low-post presence so that they can build a better inside-outside offensive attack to capitalize on Kevin Durant's dead-eye three-point shooting. Also, an inside presence will get them on the free-throw line even more, which will give them more opportunities to score. Also, I think Kendrick Perkins is a liability and they need to deal him out. Regarding the LA Clippers, I'm still not convinced that their half-court offense and defense is sufficiently developed enough to topple the San Antonio Spurs' balanced attack. At the end of the day, too few teams can really play one-possession basketball on the offensive and defensive ends as necessary to win a 7-game series. The best prospects right now (to me) are Miami or Indiana from the East and San Antonio and maybe OKC from the West. A lot of these run-and-gun squads are going to come up short come playoff time (insert: Golden State, LA Clippers, and Houston). If Denver didn't have such injury problems right now, I had them pegged as a potential spoiler in the West for at least one of the top teams in the first round. Oh well, I guess we'll see how it all shakes out at the end of April.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Kurt Helin Feb 26, 2014, 5:27 PM EST
    ItÔÇÖs official: Sixers reach buyout with Danny Granger; Clippers frontrunners to land him
    Danny Granger is going to get his chance to play for a contender ÔÇö and his next contract. Which it looks like he will do as a member of the Los Angeles Clippers. While this has been expected for days it has become official: The Philadelphia 76ers have reached a buyout agreement with Granger, , something first reported by David Aldridge of NBA.com (and TNT). This has been confirmed by CSNPhilly.com. All this means after he clears waivers on Friday Granger will be a free agent with a number of the leagueÔÇÖs top teams lining up his services.

I'd rather see Granger take his slow game to the Spurs, but they have Lenard who is a sleeping beast plus they goy Austin Daye who is a stretch 4.

The Clippers do need a SF next to Griffin, cause Barnes aint that dude. CP3 should get Granger better opportunities.

I'd be watching LAC if Granger came through. I let go of them, but w/ Granger and the Doc Rivers influenced Griffin they are on their way.

• the league conspiracy against the raptors was in full effect tonight.

• Apparnetly Cousins punched someone in the stomach and cussed out a ref.

I am from the KY and root for the Wildcats (Go Cats) however, now a resident of the Sacramento Area. I just wish Cousins would be calm and positive player for the Kings.

• Melo got a clean cut and shave for the first time in weeks, just for a Miami visit.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Gonna be at the Garden tonight with the homie DrBrown. I'll be decked out in Warriors gear but don't expect much riffing from the faithful. Their spirits are too broken :oof:

Hey,

TNT had to feature the absolutely worse basketball games in recent history last night. The Knicks' spirits are just about broken as they just had zero team chemistry, drive, and tenacity. Watching them on defense just giving up lob dunks and breakaway slams was cringe-worthy. I'm amazed at how Carmelo Anthony gets so little help from those lackeys on his squad, even though some of them have the raw talent to make worthy contributions (insert: J.R. Smith, Amare Stoudamire, and Tim Hardaway, Jr.). Shit, Hardaway couldn't throw it in the ocean last night, geez!!! Lack of talent is one thing, but broken will is an entirely different animal. The Nuggets, to their credit, tried hard at least, but they too looked horrible. It's funny how some teams lack a basic will-to-win and pride as motivation to avoid getting run off the floor. I think it's time for the networks to feature some of the more small market teams (e.g., Toronto) that put up an honest effort even in a losing cause.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

TNT had to feature the absolutely worse basketball games in recent history last night. The Knicks' spirits are just about broken as they just had zero team chemistry, drive, and tenacity. Watching them on defense just giving up lob dunks and breakaway slams was cringe-worthy. I'm amazed at how Carmelo Anthony gets so little help from those lackeys on his squad, even though some of them have the raw talent to make worthy contributions (insert: J.R. Smith, Amare Stoudamire, and Tim Hardaway, Jr.). Shit, Hardaway couldn't throw it in the ocean last night, geez!!! Lack of talent is one thing, but broken will is an entirely different animal. The Nuggets, to their credit, tried hard at least, but they too looked horrible. It's funny how some teams lack a basic will-to-win and pride as motivation to avoid getting run off the floor. I think it's time for the networks to feature some of the more small market teams (e.g., Toronto) that put up an honest effort even in a losing cause.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

please keep in mind that since we traded our "all-star" rudy gay we have moved into sole ownership of 3rd place in the east. last night we went to 3OT with 5 of our top 6 players fouled out. and toronto is not a small market, it has a 30 million person fan base. just because it's not on your maps, doesn't mean it doesn't count.

"small market" teams are portland, oklahoma city and memphis. NOT toronto. the NBA has just done everything in it's power to make you forget that there's players, fans and money here.

vintageinfants said:
    "small market" teams are portland, oklahoma city and memphis. NOT toronto. the NBA has just done everything in it's power to make you forget that there's players, fans and money here.

I never heard of an Anti-Toronto NBA Conspiracy before.
    Doesnt Raptor management have something to do w/ roster development?

For years I did hear that players dont wanna fuck w/ Canadian Taxes.

Certainly it's nothing against the city itself but rather the idea of playing in a foreign country; Toronto is the fourth-largest market in the NBA (after only Los Angeles, New York and Chicago) and has world-class food, theatres and culture. If the city was located a few hours south (in either New York state or Michigan, say) it's quite possible players would be flocking there ÔÇô it's just that it's in a different country with certain differences in customs, cultures and education.

Players' ignorance in terms of Canadian geography and culture is not necessarily their fault; they were simply never taught that Toronto's similarities to a major American metropolis far outweigh the differences. Until that changes, there will likely be plenty more players who reject the 'True North strong and free' for the 'Star Spangled' shores of an American city.

You guys are on your way. Yall will be much better next year. Experience and some Roster tweaks added.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

I never heard of an Anti-Toronto NBA Conspiracy before.
    Doesnt Raptor management have something to do w/ roster development?

For years I did hear that players dont wanna fuck w/ Canadian Taxes.

Certainly it's nothing against the city itself but rather the idea of playing in a foreign country; Toronto is the fourth-largest market in the NBA (after only Los Angeles, New York and Chicago) and has world-class food, theatres and culture. If the city was located a few hours south (in either New York state or Michigan, say) it's quite possible players would be flocking there ÔÇô it's just that it's in a different country with certain differences in customs, cultures and education.

Players' ignorance in terms of Canadian geography and culture is not necessarily their fault; they were simply never taught that Toronto's similarities to a major American metropolis far outweigh the differences. Until that changes, there will likely be plenty more players who reject the 'True North strong and free' for the 'Star Spangled' shores of an American city.

You guys are on your way. Yall will be much better next year. Experience and some Roster tweaks added.

there's whisperings that we're going to throw BIG bundles of dough at either kevin durant or kevin love. apparently in an interview a few years back KD said that his favorite team growing up was the raps [vin-sanity-r] and that has sparked a city-wide bloodthirst for someone of that calibre. all of the players who play here are still on american salaries and are only subject to canadian sales taxes, not income taxes. basically, we've seen every player not want to show up originally, and then never want to leave.

and with regards to the "conspiracy", whenever the raptors rattle off 4-5 wins in a row, they stop getting calls completely. there was a stretch of games after out post-new years resurgence where the FTA were 4:1 vs sub-500 teams.... they were getting FOUR calls to every one of ours. and then again last night, with one starter already out to an ankle injury, they go ahead and run up weak foul calls on all of our big men. i mean, we had landry fields, steve novak, greivis vasquez, tyler hansborough and john salmons on the floor in 3OT. not only that, every time the raptors drew a charge or forced a turnover it would get reviewed ... IN OUR BARN. i know they've made it incredibly difficult on you to do so, but i implore you to watch a few games and say with certainty that there isn't some arm of the league that ensures the canadian market never gets TOO strong.

vintageinfants said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

please keep in mind that since we traded our "all-star" rudy gay we have moved into sole ownership of 3rd place in the east. last night we went to 3OT with 5 of our top 6 players fouled out. and toronto is not a small market, it has a 30 million person fan base. just because it's not on your maps, doesn't mean it doesn't count.

Hey Vintageinfants

I guess I misspoke regarding the 'small market' term applied to Toronto. I meant to imply that the Raptors are treated like small market team since they don't get a lot of televised attention. Semantics aside, I was lauding the franchise for putting together a relatively talented and entertaining team. It's about time to stop showing all these horrendous games involving the Lakers, Knicks, etc., and let these lesser known (and harder playing) teams get some shine.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i knew that was your overall point, and i appreciate that you've even noticed. seriously. it sucks being part of a thing that gets perennially scrapped for parts as soon as it's about to hit on something big.

toronto's hockey team generates more income than most countries, and it's the same company as the raps. and now we have tim leiweke at the helm, formerly of the LA lakers, kings, and galaxy.

... so despite our heartbreaking past, we always carry optimism. (and a very UN-canadian chip on our shoulder)

and if you're ever near toronto, i'll get the tickets and the first round of drinks.

vintageinfants said:
    i know they've made it incredibly difficult on you to do so, but i implore you to watch a few games and say with certainty that there isn't some arm of the league that ensures the canadian market never gets TOO strong.

So if i watch three raptor games, the officiating is going to be for the Toronto opponent?

That some Unicorn shit. I try not to judge games like that.
    Blown calls yes........Anti-Raptor Officiating is crazy talk.

If there is a Toronto Conspiracy, what is the NBA to gain by preventing Wins?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    ...we have moved into sole ownership of 3rd place in the east.

A dubious distinction. That places you 13th overall in the NBA.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    i know they've made it incredibly difficult on you to do so, but i implore you to watch a few games and say with certainty that there isn't some arm of the league that ensures the canadian market never gets TOO strong.

So if i watch three raptor games, the officiating is going to be for the Toronto opponent?

That some Unicorn shit. I try not to judge games like that.
    Blown calls yes........Anti-Raptor Officiating is crazy talk.

If there is a Toronto Conspiracy, what is the NBA to gain by preventing Wins?

calling it a conspiracy is a little crazy, i'll cop to that. but i have watched season after season of referee's control the outcome of games with the whistle. this toronto team has it's entire offense built around getting to the line and making foul shots to stay competitive, which is admittedly giving a LOT of the power to the referee. if they for some reason decide to stop making that call, and they often do, then you have to switch to plan b, and toronto's plan b doesn't look that good.

Totally random, but since I've always been interested in rooting for a baseball team, and don't wanna be a Dodgers fan, I was entertaining the thought of becoming a Toronto Blue Jays fan, simply because it's not necessarily a "hip" team to root for, and I like their logo. I then realized, the Yankees, Rays, and Red Sox are in their division....so I dropped that idea.....

Happy for the Raptors and their fans though as of late.

Another case of fans getting too excited. Seriously, white people curb your enthusiasm.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Was at the Garden last night for Warriorqs/Knicks. Dubs looked great. Fun team to watch, Blake and Iguodala are both great additions.

The Knicks' performance was a disgrace. It was apparent to everyone that they were not even putting up a fight. Melo had a mediocre game but honestly at least he was working. These other dudes... Man, I feel bad for Knicks fans. Bad for the kids out there with dad in their jerseys and hats. They deserve a team that at least tries to win. The team I saw last night didn't belong on an NBA court. It was an embarrassment. The boos were louder than any cheer for any basket. The cheers for jumbotron racing were louder than any cheer for any basket. Just terrible.

Marcus Smart got heart yo.

• signature win.

keeping a healthy GSW 100 is a win on it's own.

Good win Raptors. Kept us from scoring down the stretch.

• Nice win Toronto.

the Knicks are looking worse and worse and worse. It really is embarrassing to see that team fall to the Bulls, who have been gutted of all their "star" players, yet manage to just pass the ball and play a bit of defence. Where will Melo go next? Or should he stay and the Knicks add a superstar PG who can run and inspire the team? That's what makes the "proper" stars that good, not just that they score, but that they also life everyone around them. Melo does NOT do that.