'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• vince carter shut down the dunk off for good. when he said "it's over" it was really over. there hasn't been one that adds up since. the numerous attempts on the same dunk, the glow in the dark jerseys, the costume changes, JUMPING OVER A KIA?

put the whole skills contest to bed for a few years and bring it back when it's ready to be the best dunkers doing the best dunks with no gimmicks.

not to mention lebran muffin ONCE AGAIN "leaking" practice dunks a week before the all star game, either go compete or leave that shit at home. for a guy who's so concerned with his legacy, he sure does engage in some bitch-made manoeuvres.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Based on his reaction, Smart must take extreme offense to the phrase "piece of crap."

Dude is going to play in the NBA....he'll hear worse than this every night all night from fans and players.

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Based on his reaction, Smart must take extreme offense to the phrase "piece of crap."

Dude is going to play in the NBA....he'll hear worse than this every night all night from fans and players.

I was implying that I don't find the "official" version of events particularly believable.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I was implying that I don't find the "official" version of events particularly believable.

Why don't you believe it?

Look, this "superfan" is probably the best known guy in the building.....he's a jackass that has been harrassing opposing players for 30 years.....most of the past opposition players who were interviewed said they vividly remember him and his antics......he's vulgar and should be banned from the arena for his offensive behavior. That being said, there is no record of him ever being racist and calling a player a "piece of crap" fits right in to his MO.....here is another incident where he demonstrates complete jackassery for a grown man(watch til the end).... unfortunately this kind of behavior is all too common at sporting events.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    vince carter shut down the dunk off for good. when he said "it's over" it was really over. there hasn't been one that adds up since. the numerous attempts on the same dunk, the glow in the dark jerseys, the costume changes, JUMPING OVER A KIA? .

Nate Robinsons 10 attemtpts and then did the same shit the next year killed that shit for me.

That shit is for little kids who vote for Kobe to be a starter.

i watch every fuckin year reluctantly.

• I don't see dude getting worked up over being called a "piece of crap". That stretches the limits of believability to me, especially considering your own earlier post in the thread about Smart's character. If that's all Orr said I also don't believe he would so willingly accept culpability and ban himself, let alone say something like "I let my mouth say something I shouldn't have". Where's the beef?

Sources close to Smart and OSU had a different story initially but walked it back. I am sure the various powers that be would rather have this all go away than turn into a divisive issue that could overshadow future games and snowball out of everyone's control. Including, possibly, Smart himself. He is a college player with no power. I don't believe it was simply "piece of crap" at all.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I have a lot of respect for players who are so focused on the game that they don't notice the fans.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I don't see dude getting worked up over being called a "piece of crap". That stretches the limits of believability to me, especially considering your own earlier post in the thread about Smart's character. If that's all Orr said I also don't believe he would so willingly accept culpability and ban himself, let alone say something like "I let my mouth say something I shouldn't have". Where's the beef?

Sources close to Smart and OSU had a different story initially but walked it back. I am sure the various powers that be would rather have this all go away than turn into a divisive issue that could overshadow future games and snowball out of everyone's control. Including, possibly, Smart himself. He is a college player with no power. I don't believe it was simply "piece of crap" at all.

Jonny.........maybe I'm an optimist but I have to disagree. I think there are a lot of factors here to be considered. OSU was on it's way to a great season when their second best player, Michael Cobbins, was injured and is out for the season. Last week another key player, Stevie Clark was arrested for the second time and dropped from the team. Being the team leader, Marcus has basically seen his team and their hopes for this year go down the tubes. He showed that frustration by uncharacteristically kicking a chair onto the court last week. Saturday he was watching a far inferior Texas Tech team giving OSU all they could handle.(and eventually pulled a major upset win)

Again, I am by no means defending this "superfan" jackass. His actions are inexcuseable. I'm also not saying that racism doesn't exist in the redneck world of Lubbock, Texas. But I don't believe that A) If a racist comment was used, the powers that be at OSU would not use that fact to try to defend their players actions....and..... B) That in 2014 every single person in the stands or standing on the court within an earshot of what was said would cover-up for this "superfan" asshole.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    We know Orr's an asshole, but let's go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt.

WHAT?!?!

HarveyCanal said:
    We know Orr's an asshole, but let's go ahead and give him the benefit of the doubt.

WHAT?!?!

I'm certain there are people who think you and I are assholes....that doesn't make us racist.

Dude has a long, well documented history of being an asshole.....over those years no one accused him of being a racist asshole.

I could be wrong, he may have said something racist, I just don't believe that if he did there is a conspiracy to cover it up.

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

WHAT?!?!

I'm certain there are people who think you and I are assholes....that doesn't make us racist.

Dude has a long, well documented history of being an asshole.....over those years no one accused him of being a racist asshole.

I could be wrong, he may have said something racist, I just don't believe that if he did there is a conspiracy to cover it up.

Former OSU Cowboy Desmond Mason immediately came out and said...without specifically naming Orr...that he was called racist names repeatedly when he played in Lubbock.

I just don't get your drive to want to defend the guy from being a racist. If he's as much of a dick as we already know, how in the world would that be above him? Do you need an actual burning cross in a lawn before passing judgement?

HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

WHAT?!?!

Former OSU Cowboy Desmond Mason immediately came out and said...without specifically naming Orr...that he was called racist names repeatedly when he played in Lubbock.

I just don't get your drive to want to defend the guy from being a racist. If he's as much of a dick as we already know, how in the world would that be above him? Do you need an actual burning cross in a lawn before passing judgement?

I'm passing judgement based on the facts that have been presented.

You're passing judgement based on speculation and hearsay.

If dude is a racist it reflects poorly on him

If he's not, blaming this incident on racism reflects badly on us.

If you have any facts that prove the dude is racist please presnt them and I'll jump right on board with you.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I'm taking a wild guess, but Marcus Smart was probably the only one that got THAT close to this idiot, where he could easily hear whatever was said; borderline racist or outright racist. As Johnny said too. For someone that doesn't hesitate to throw up a "Fuck you" gesture and wobble his face to the opposing player, "Piece of crap" is pretty light.

Rock, fans gotta be just as accountable for this type of shit. Jay Bilas "I am very curious as to what was said".

Again, it sets a good precedent though for future idiots crossing the line.

Rock or others, if you were Ron Artest at the Palace that night.....how would you have reacted?

Dont Start None Wont Be None.

batmon said:

The_Mack said it best.....

LaserWolf said:
    So the test for racism is using racial slurs?

In this particular instance, yes.

There are plenty of outright and hidden racists; the question here is how F'd the situation is because athletes are somehow supposed to be superhuman and act diplomatically in every crazy instance because they are in the spotlight, and fans are not.

• what would the reaction be if he said "i hope someone puts a burning cross on the front lawn of your house"?

not a threat, and doesn't include the n-word.

could he say he just wanted to display his support for Texas Tech with a lower-case t you can see at night?

vintageinfants said:
    what would the reaction be if he said "i hope someone puts a burning cross on the front lawn of your house"?

not a threat, and doesn't include the n-word.

could he say he just wanted to display his support for Texas Tech with a lower-case t you can see at night?

batmon said:

Sorry.

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

WHAT?!?!

If you have any facts that prove the dude is racist please presnt them and I'll jump right on board with you.

You have no more "facts" than I do. I just choose to grant Marcus Smart the benefit of the doubt rather than Joe Bob Bumshit.

batmon said:

The man who invents a way to physically hurt someone through a computer screen when people type offensive insults will be a gazillionaire.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

WHAT?!?!

You have no more "facts" than I do. I just choose to grant Marcus Smart the benefit of the doubt rather than Joe Bob Bumshit.

R....There is a fan filmed video that audibly captures the words "piece of crap". I have heard NO ONE state that they heard a racist remark.

If you can direct me to anything that shows that Marcus, a fan or witness claim they heard the "N" word or any other racist comment please do so.

"Naturally, Twitter user can't stop talking about the event. Many are assuming Orr must have said something much worse to Smart in order to get him to react in such an emotionally charged manner. But in the video filmed from a fan's point of view, it sounds like Orr did indeed say "piece of crap."

http://www.ibtimes.com/what-did-jeff-orr-say-marcus-smart-player-pushes-texas-tech-fan-after-alleged-racial-slur-video

Again, why are you defending this guy? He's an asshole. He's a racist. He's a baby killer. Who cares? Fuck him sideways in the earhole!

That clips does sound like "piece of crap". But maybe more was said? who knows....

Next time, Marcus Smart gets T'd up in the league, people are gonna refer to this. Really who cares though, as long as dudes are playing hard.

Moral of the story, give people their space.

HarveyCanal said:
    Again, why are you defending this guy? He's an asshole. He's a racist. He's a baby killer. Who cares? Fuck him sideways in the earhole!

OK...I get it....fuck this racist baby killer!

Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

OK...I get it....fuck this racist baby killer!

Fo' real.

More people in our society need to be pushed for their careless words.

Why didnt the police just set up a roadblock when OJ was "on the run"?