'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• yuichi said:
    Lazarus, you do sound a bit delusional.

86 Celtics (the best NBA team of all time)

I know at least three championship squads in my era that would easily take this team.....Parish/McHale/Ainge? Ainge and McHale might be in the D-league in this era, please believe.

Ask Charles Barkley about McHale and that D-league bullshit. Charles would laugh in your face and piss on your shoes.

You're getting less intelligent with every response here, chuckles.

• yuichi said:
    Lazarus, put Larry Bird on Lebron's Cavs squad and tell me he would take them to the East Finals...I don't know anyone besides MJ and Magic that would be able to do this.

Bird took a bucket of crap to the NCAA title game. Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

It's funny how you cite Magic and yet he'd be another one pissing on your shoes over this horseshit.

• i like imagining chris bosh v mchale battling in the post over a 7 game series.

one of them wouldn't see game 3.

• vintageinfants said:
    i like imagining chris bosh v mchale battling in the post over a 7 game series.

one of them wouldn't see game 3.

McHale was a much better defensive player than Bosh and had a post-up game that would make Bosh cry for his mommy.

Has Bosh ever even come close to making an all-defensive team?

• that's what I mean. cb4's porcelain ass would get chewed up and spit back onto the bench in the post.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i cant wait to see portland and OKC in a series. and i hope both their sqauds are healthy by then.

as much as im enjoying portlands comeup they havent been deep in the playoffs as OKC. usually teams needs some lumps before they go deep or win the conference.

i also have to check portlands bench.

• Big_Stacks said:

this is the best. 80s ball players had to be tough as a coffin nail.

it really puts a guy like kevin garnett's ridiculous posturing and pseudo-grit into perspective. i wonder if he knows that no one on the planet takes a bean pole drafted out of a private academy seriously as a tough guy....

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    vintageinfants said:

one of them wouldn't see the second quarter of game 1.

Yuichi is right.....these teams couldn't win in today's pussy NBA...they would all be thrown out of the game by halftime.

• dont be shocked if the raptors beat the pacers tonight.

• Rockadelic said:
    vintageinfants said:

one of them wouldn't see the second quarter of game 1.

Yuichi is right.....these teams couldn't win in today's pussy NBA...they would all be thrown out of the game by halftime.

But Robert Parish was suspended for a whole game for this:

Robert Parish vs Bill Laimbeer (1987 ECF Game 5) by kevin-garnett123

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    What is that Robert Parish clip supposed to prove? That guys were tougher back in the day? LOL LOL

Funny ass shit.

Only thing it proves is that you bleed green, and glorify these stiffs among a league full of other uptight, upright style of players. and think shoving a dude mid-air is toughness. lol

Fuck it though.

Taking it back to my original point....I was only saying 59% so far in the season by Lebron is remarkable. I was only just recently starting to appreciate Bird in his prime.....I was never a super-athlete and that grittiness and competitiveness is something I can appreciate. Fuck the Celtics, but yea, they've had their share of winners. Continue on.

I would probably be saying the same shit 20 years down the line. "You've never seen Kobe/Lebron in his prime".

• vintageinfants said:
    dont be shocked if the raptors beat the pacers tonight.

??_(???)_/??

vintageinfants said:

good win

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:

good win

I'm not going to proclaim them to be anything they're not, but they've been a different ball team since rudy gay left. personally i prefer a bunch of late first rounders who buy into a system as opposed to a set up of broken toys around a spoiled first overall. like the pacers.

• yuichi said:
    Fuck it though.

Taking it back to my original point....I was only saying 59% so far in the season by Lebron is remarkable.

Nah, you said more than that.

And quietly, Lebron is beasting.......with 59% FG, 40% from threes....and of course, the 7boards, 6.5 assists...Shit is unheard of......

Reality is the 59% is nice - it's a number McHale exceeded a couple of times, even though you think he's "D-league" because my cat knows more about basketball than you do. LBJ's boards are sub-standard given his ability and always have been.

All in all "unheard of" is just a shockingly ignorant way to describe those stats, since they're obviously NOT unheard of. So salvage some dignity by admitting that and walking away, okay?

Thus endeth the lesson.

LazarusOblong said:
    yuichi said:
    Fuck it though.

Taking it back to my original point....I was only saying 59% so far in the season by Lebron is remarkable.

And quietly, Lebron is beasting.......with 59% FG, 40% from threes....and of course, the 7boards, 6.5 assists...Shit is unheard of......

Reality is the 59% is nice - it's a number McHale exceeded a couple of times, even though you think he's "D-league" because my cat knows more about basketball than you do. LBJ's boards are sub-standard given his ability and always have been.

All in all "unheard of" is just a shockingly ignorant way to describe those stats, since they're obviously NOT unheard of. So salvage some dignity by admitting that and walking away, okay?

Thus endeth the lesson.

Lebron is beasting. For a guard/forward/PG that he is, 59% is crazy. Pick up on my implications and get on my level. But, but but, Kevin Mchale....lol Funny as hell old man. Give it up. I own this thread, in case you didn't know.

First team all-defensive, 5 years straight too. He's more of a complete player, this is fact.

• yuichi said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    yuichi said:
    Fuck it though.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Lebron is beasting. For a guard/forward/PG that he is, 59% is crazy. Pick up on my implications and get on my level. But, but but, Kevin Mchale....lol Funny as hell old man. Give it up. I own this thread, in case you didn't know.

First team all-defensive, 5 years straight too. He's more of a complete player, this is fact.

The only thing you own is your scrotum, and no one wants it.

I don't even know what you're arguing here. Yes, LBJ is an all-time great. No one here says he isn't. But so was McHale, and if you had a triple-digit IQ you'd be able to acknowledge that, little man. The D-league bullshit just marks you as a cricket-dick joystick commando.

Okay, I give it to McHale and Bird, but those numbers are inflated. Skill-wise, McHale seems like a Pau Gasol (in his prime), with the footwork and soft touch. But the quality of opponents he's backing down seems pretty low....
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

The comments section of this is particularly significant of the "back then players were tougher" nonsense. Players are "worth more" now, run and jump a lot higher, making it more dangerous. That's why players are protected. The equivalent is a no-name taking out Russell Westbrook in a loose ball collision or taking out Kobe with a clothesline to the throat. Shaquille O'neal then, and Blake Griffin now, are hacked and smacked every single game. And those dudes are bulkier than most in any era at their positions.

A bitch move like Parish, punching someone on the head? Flagarant two. Ejection and several game suspension. It's not soft. If you are into physical altercations and calling that tough, go watch MMA or Hockey.

There are merits to the game now as there is in any era. Whether you see that or not is your choice. Don't be that dude already having your all-time greats set in stone though; when some great players are playing NOW. In other words, don't be that fan with a massive chip on your shoulder......

"Cuz we all about that 'Pseudo-toughness', brah"

• vintageinfants said:
    what's the league gonna do if Lebron shoots +60%FG and +85% FT all year? his statline is starting to finally convince me (reluctantly) that he should be in 'the conversation'.

cool story bro

Parish hitting Laimbeer was the culmination of war that went on between them every minute of every game.

Look, of course the players today are more athletic and can do more athletic things than players of 30-40 years ago.....and 30 years from now they will be more athletic than the players of today.

The sport, like all sports, has evolved into a game that is different than it was 40 years ago.....just like the game of the 70's had evolved from the game of the 30's. The difference in athleticism between 1930 and 1970 was like night and day. The difference between the athleticism of the 1970 and 2010 players is minimal,

In the 60's Bob Gibson was a GREAT pitcher who is known for his intimidation.....today he would be kicked out of MLB for the same style.

Basketball has evolved in a similar way where the standard play bitd would be forbidden today.

I'm very confident in saying that playing by today's rules a Lebron led Heat would beat the 70's Celtics.

And I'm even more confident that if playing by the 70's rules the Celtics would stomp a new mud hole in a Lebron led Heat.

McHale is considered one of the greatest Power Forwards in the NBA. He wasn't a bruiser but has footwork thats on the level of Olajuwan.
    Hakeem could boogie from the foul line, elbow, and free-throw line, but in the paint McHale was fuckin' monster. And he did it the dirty East against the Pistons, Philly, and whomever u wanna bring up.

Im not gonna get into the same old bullshit these NBA threads devolve into....MJ/Magic/Bird vs whomever is hot right now.

Blake Griffin is not bigger than PF from the 80/90/00s.
    There are plenty of 6'8-11" PFs in past decades that played during hand checks, harder fouls, no over-sensitive Flagrant foul nonsense.

Derek Coleman - 6'10" Inside and Out game. Could Pass, Block and Rebound.
    Karl Malone - 6'9" - 250
    Elvin Hayes - 6'9" 235
    Buck Williams - 6'8" Rebound machine
    Clifford Robertson - Could play all 3 Frontcourt positions
    Shawn Kemp - u wanna talk that athletic shit....and he had a jump shot by the Finals.
    Larry Nance - played better D than Griffin and won the dunk contest too
    George McGinnis - 24 & 15 one season at 6'8"

There are advantages in being athletic in the way more open court less contact/calls NBA. They want that $hit.
    The late 70s up until the early 90s was some high contact shit. And many of todays players couldn't whine at officials after every foul.
    You keep your hand or forearm on a dude's waist all the way up court on defense and through the half court offense.

And many of the best of the last decade or so, could have played then.

There are plenty of "fundamental, college cultivated" 80's players that couldn't play in this era, and there are many athletic high jumping players of today who wouldn't be able to do that shit in the 80's.

Shaq shouldn't even be in the conversations an example. He's in a class by himself.

• drunk vin baker would be a top 5 PF in today's league.

vintageinfants said:
    drunk vin baker would be a top 5 PF in today's league.

i have his milwaukee jersey.....chris bosh like in his prime.

how are bird and mchales numbers inflated???

vintageinfants said:
    coked out Marvin "Bad News" Barnes would be the best PF in the game today.

Rockadelic said:
    Parish hitting Laimbeer was the culmination of war that went on between them every minute of every game.

Look, of course the players today are more athletic and can do more athletic things than players of 30-40 years ago.....and 30 years from now they will be more athletic than the players of today.

The sport, like all sports, has evolved into a game that is different than it was 40 years ago.....just like the game of the 70's had evolved from the game of the 30's. The difference in athleticism between 1930 and 1970 was like night and day. The difference between the athleticism of the 1970 and 2010 players is minimal,

In the 60's Bob Gibson was a GREAT pitcher who is known for his intimidation.....today he would be kicked out of MLB for the same style.

Basketball has evolved in a similar way where the standard play bitd would be forbidden today.

I'm very confident in saying that playing by today's rules a Lebron led Heat would beat the 70's Celtics.

And I'm even more confident that if playing by the 70's rules the Celtics would stomp a new mud hole in a Lebron led Heat.

Yea, you've given me some ground, Rich!

For the record, when I am saying "more athletic and stronger and faster", I am not saying this is inherently good.

I would have to disagree however that, the jump from 70s to 2010 athleticism is minimal. The jump from 30s to 70s is obviously gonna be bigger. The effect of more gym time and crazier muscles may in fact lead to shorter careers.......It's gonna be increasingly rare for star players to have 15 year careers. There's just too much stop and go, wear and tear on the body.

That last statement again, doesn't make too much sense to me though. 70s rules meaning, no flagrants and ejections are called? Just a "hard personal foul"? In any era, unless you are super quick enough and brave enough to take a charge on a freight train, the personal foul is gonna be called because the new cats are more willing to initiate contact as soon as they get a step on the defender. And again, I'd like to emphasize that a mid-air Kurt Rambis elbow to Blake Griffin would for example, be extremely dangerous and costly for a team and TV ratings.

Things have changed since the Malice.....

Rockadelic said:
    vintageinfants said:
    coked out Marvin "Bad News" Barnes would be the best PF in the game today.

ha...Roy Tarpley

yuichi said:
    Rockadelic said:

Yea, you've given me some ground, Rich!

For the record, when I am saying "more athletic and stronger and faster", I am not saying this is inherently good.

I would have to disagree however that, the jump from 70s to 2010 athleticism is minimal. The jump from 30s to 70s is obviously gonna be bigger. The effect of more gym time and crazier muscles may in fact lead to shorter careers.......It's gonna be increasingly rare for star players to have 15 year careers. There's just too much stop and go, wear and tear on the body.

That last statement again, doesn't make too much sense to me though. 70s rules meaning, no flagrants and ejections are called? Just a "hard personal foul"? In any era, unless you are super quick enough and brave enough to take a charge on a freight train, the personal foul is gonna be called because the new cats are more willing to initiate contact as soon as they get a step on the defender. And again, I'd like to emphasize that a mid-air Kurt Rambis elbow to Blake Griffin would for example, be extremely dangerous and costly for a team and TV ratings.

Things have changed since the Malice.....

When you drive to the hoop ballet style and you get crushed....and you know you're gonna get crushed next time too....you tend to stop doing it.

SOFT