'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    vintageinfants said:
    coked out Marvin "Bad News" Barnes would be the best PF in the game today.

ha...Chris Washburn

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    vintageinfants said:
    coked out Marvin "Bad News" Barnes would be the best PF in the game today.

ha...Chris Washburn

Richard Dumas

• yuichi said:
    Shaquille O'neal then, and Blake Griffin now, are hacked and smacked every single game. And those dudes are bulkier than most in any era at their positions.

A bitch move like Parish, punching someone on the head? Flagarant two. Ejection and several game suspension. It's not soft. If you are into physical altercations and calling that tough, go watch MMA or Hockey.

There are merits to the game now as there is in any era. Whether you see that or not is your choice. Don't be that dude already having your all-time greats set in stone though; when some great players are playing NOW. In other words, don't be that fan with a massive chip on your shoulder......

This from the nitwit who said McHale was "D-league"? Chuckles, YOU are the one putting down a particular era. Not me. I'm not the one saying today's players are soft, I'm just enjoying Stacks and VI making jokes about it.

Okay, Bosh IS soft and McHale WOULD have made him cry.

Parish's "bitch move" was in response to Laimbeer's earlier assault on Bird. Laimbeer was and is a lousy human being and Parish's "bitch move" was generally applauded at the time. I can still get a kick out of it. Maybe you'd have to know what a serene and dignified player Parish was in order to really appreciate it.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

When you drive to the hoop ballet style and you get crushed....and you know you're gonna get crushed next time too....you tend to stop doing it.

I totally agree. Used to do this to super fast guards on the "I will WORK YOU SON on the playground" steez when they drove to the rack.

Again, I don't have to be a physics major to understand that a stronger collision will occur with more force/speed/height. And this is dangerous. And when things are dangerous, they tend to turn ugly......The players haven't become soft, it's for their protection.

yuichi said:
    The players haven't become soft, it's for their protection.

Bullshit.

They've opened up the game to get more points so we don't see a Spurs/Knicks boring grind out Finals.

Shit has gotten soft.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    The players haven't become soft, it's for their protection.

Bullshit.

They've opened up the game to get more points do we don't see a Spurs/Knicks boring grind out Finals.

Shit has gotten soft.

Go watch Hockey then.

• Rockadelic said:
    Look, of course the players today are more athletic and can do more athletic things than players of 30-40 years ago.....and 30 years from now they will be more athletic than the players of today.

The sport, like all sports, has evolved into a game that is different than it was 40 years ago.....just like the game of the 70's had evolved from the game of the 30's. The difference in athleticism between 1930 and 1970 was like night and day. The difference between the athleticism of the 1970 and 2010 players is minimal,

In the 60's Bob Gibson was a GREAT pitcher who is known for his intimidation.....today he would be kicked out of MLB for the same style.

Basketball has evolved in a similar way where the standard play bitd would be forbidden today.

I'm very confident in saying that playing by today's rules a Lebron led Heat would beat the 70's Celtics.

And I'm even more confident that if playing by the 70's rules the Celtics would stomp a new mud hole in a Lebron led Heat.

I think you mean the 80s Celtics, though they had some good units in the 70s, too.

PEDs have given a boost to the current generation in some ways. There's a reason why the NBA has the weakest drug testing program of any major sport. It's not all about bulk, either, it's about speed and recovery time.

yuichi said:

When you drive to the hoop ballet style and you get crushed....and you know you're gonna get crushed next time too....you tend to stop doing it.

I totally agree. Used to do this to super fast guards on the "I will WORK YOU SON on the playground" steez when they drove to the rack.

Again, I don't have to be a physics major to understand that a stronger collision will occur with more force/speed/height. And this is dangerous. And when things are dangerous, they tend to turn ugly......The players haven't become soft, it's for their protection.

Exactly dude....like when I was a kid and we never wore a helmet on a bicycle.

And when kids were forced to wear helmets on their bike it didn't make them soft it was for their own pro....nah....it made them soft.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Here are a few dudes you left off (not superstars, but damn good players), Batmon:

-Bobby Jones (tough-ass defender; would son most of today's crybabies in the post)
    -Terry Cummings (tough to deal with from 18' inward; great rebounder too)
    -Maurice Lucas (tough-ass mofo)
    -Mychal Thompson (Klay's daddy and good all-around player)
    -Danny Roundfield (tough defender and rebounder, decent scorer around the basket)
    -Xavier McDaniel (tough on the boards, defense, and nice offensive game)
    -Tom Chambers (very athletic, good on the boards, defensive, and could score)

And yes, Marvin Barnes was a beast! I used to love watching the old Buffalo Braves play (those were my early days of watching hoop). :real_headz:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

And when kids were forced to wear helmets on their bike it didn't make them soft it was for their own pro....nah....it made them soft.

It's worse than that. Not only do they have to wear helmets, but they have to be supervised while they wear their helmets and they can only ride in the daytime and in certain areas and they have to stay hydrated.

Veal children.

Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

Helmet to helmet collisions and all that. Player safety.....

In the case of the NBA, no more brawls......that's all. I personally love watching them....It's so much easier for blood to boil in a basketball game......cuz you're rubbing up against each other without any protection (pause).

LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

It's worse than that. Not only do they have to wear helmets, but they have to be supervised while they wear their helmets and they can only ride in the daytime and in certain areas and they have to stay hydrated.

Veal children.

Different subject, but I do agree that shit is getting increasingly softer with the newer generations and society.....

besides the kemit washiington punch ive never seen a brawl where a player got knocked the fuck out. shit never really pops off.

Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Here are a few dudes you left off (not superstars, but damn good players), Batmon:

-Bobby Jones (tough-ass defender; would son most of today's crybabies in the post)
    -Danny Roundfield (tough defender and rebounder, decent scorer around the basket)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

90s.
    Dennis Rodman (vs Karl Malone was a classic. Elbows to the dome, over-the-back, and groin shots all day)

• Big_Stacks said:
    Hey,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Don't forget Cedric Maxwell. He was the glue guy on Bird's first title team.

• Appearing on Jim Rome???s radio show, (Charles) Oakley said of Garnett, ???He???s not a tough guy. He???s one of the weakest players to ever play the game at the position.

???He is a good player He???s a complementary player. He went to a Paul Pierce team and won a championship (with the Celtics in 2008).???

Rome responded, ???You???re right. He does a lot of hooting and a lot of hollering, but at the end of the day, is he a fake tough guy????

???He???s not real tough,??? Oakley said. ???I wouldn???t put him in the top 10 tough guys, so you do the math. If you???re a real tough guy, you should be in the top five, top 10, but if you ain???t tough, it don???t count after 11.???

• yuichi said:
    LazarusOblong said:
    Rockadelic said:
    yuichi said:

Veal children.

Different subject, but I do agree that shit is getting increasingly softer with the newer generations and society.....

Part of it is the "2 kids to a family" semi-rule. When you only have 2 I suppose you can't spare one.

batmon said:
    besides the kemit washiington punch ive never seen a brawl where a player got knocked the fuck out. shit never really pops off.

Off the top....

Melos suckerpunch to Jared Jeffries
    Malice @ the Palace (WWE style)
    Shaq grazing Brad Miller's head
    Shaq getting slammed by Charles Barkley
    Rafer Alston smacking Eddie House in the back of the head, after he drains a three.

Definitely some good times.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    batmon said:

For the youngsters' reference:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

vintageinfants said:
    Appearing on Jim Rome???s radio show, (Charles) Oakley said of Garnett, ???He???s not a tough guy. He???s one of the weakest players to ever play the game at the position.

???He is a good player He???s a complementary player. He went to a Paul Pierce team and won a championship (with the Celtics in 2008).???

Rome responded, ???You???re right. He does a lot of hooting and a lot of hollering, but at the end of the day, is he a fake tough guy????

???He???s not real tough,??? Oakley said. ???I wouldn???t put him in the top 10 tough guys, so you do the math. If you???re a real tough guy, you should be in the top five, top 10, but if you ain???t tough, it don???t count after 11.???

Charles Oakley and Jordan-era Knicks players WOULD say that kinda shit! lol haha. KG's mid-range turnaround was money though.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    You know McHale was on the 50 greatest players in NBA history list? D - League???? You're showing your age and ass.

motown67 said:
    You know McHale was on the 50 greatest players in NBA history list? D - League???? You're showing your age and ass.

Speak on it, brother!!! The world didn't begin in 2000.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Rockadelic said:

I am currently 33 years old and in 5 months I will be turning 34. For awhile I have been ignoring the fact that I am in my thirties, but I can no longer ignore the truth in front of me. I am afraid of what the thirties have in store for me, it has it's ups and downs so far but for the most part it bums me out.
    I was thinking since I believe some of you guys are older than me you can give me some insight, advice or suggestions
    ?

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

I am currently 33 years old and in 5 months I will be turning 34. For awhile I have been ignoring the fact that I am in my thirties, but I can no longer ignore the truth in front of me. I am afraid of what the thirties have in store for me, it has it's ups and downs so far but for the most part it bums me out.
    I was thinking since I believe some of you guys are older than me you can give me some insight, advice or suggestions
    ?

Exactly

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:

I think it's because it's about standing up for yourself or teammate and sending a message not to get into an actual fight

motown67 said:

D-league is an exaggeration but he'll be bumped out of the top 50 eventually....I don't see too much different from what Pau Gasol was doing in his prime at Memphis and 2 title runs with LA.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

?

Hey Guys,

What's the next revelation, never having a fist fight? :weaksauce: Having to whoop somebody's ass when he asked for it (growing up) made me a man. Pops wasn't having anything less either, or I'd get an ass-whoopin' back at the crib. There's no surprise why these current NBA players are so soft-serve.

Fight Stories Thread (Old-School Strut)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

motown67 said:
    batmon said:

I think it's because it's about standing up for yourself or teammate and sending a message not to get into an actual fight

Start that shit around Ron Ron or Stephen Jackson or Matt Barnes or Carmelo and you know shit will pop off! lol

b/w

I fully understand how you guys are old. Get off me.