'13-'14 NBA SEASON Where feelings get hurt

Comments

• The Rockets looked pretty damn mediocre this year until Superman decided, "Oh ok guys... I guess I'll play some."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    The Rockets looked pretty damn mediocre this year until Superman decided, "Oh ok guys... I guess I'll play some."

Harden is another overrated player. He can score and pass, and thats it.

He needs the ball in his hands and Lin does too. Beverley plays better D and doesn't need the ball. Lin to the bench as 6th man.
    Same situation w/ Melo. Little dude go warm up the pine.

They'll be in the Playoff mix. Its taking some time to mesh Howard's and Hardens touches.

• Lin was offered way too much money and there was no way Linsanity was going to last, the Knicks were right to let him go.

Melo isn't doomed to be a loser, but he isn't mentally tough and doesn't have leadership skills. He could be on a winner, but not as the main guy.

And as long as the dark cloud of the Dolans hangs over MSG, there will never be a championship.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Deron Williams - 3.5
    Russell Westbrook - 3.4
    John Wall - 3.5
    Ricky Rubio - 3.7
    Rajon Rondo - 3.6
    Kyrie Irving - 3.4
    Steve Nash - 4.2
    Jeremy Lin - 3.2

Lin is as good as who on this list?

I didn't say he was better than any of them...I was just addressing your turnover comment.

I guarantee you this....he's better than Beno Udrih, Raymond Felton and Pablo Prigioni

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Deron Williams - 3.5
    Russell Westbrook - 3.4
    John Wall - 3.5
    Ricky Rubio - 3.7
    Rajon Rondo - 3.6
    Kyrie Irving - 3.4
    Steve Nash - 4.2
    Jeremy Lin - 3.2

I didn't say he was better than any of them...I was just addressing your turnover comment.

I guarantee you this....he's better than Beno Udrih, Raymond Felton and Pablo Prigioni

Considering that there was no way he was staying on the Knicks, the last comparison means nothing.

As far as him being a turnover machine and the above list... my point is that his 3.2 are a lot worse considering the relatively meager upside in his play (as opposed to anyone else on that list). Does the guy even get 36 min a night?

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Deron Williams - 3.5
    Russell Westbrook - 3.4
    John Wall - 3.5
    Ricky Rubio - 3.7
    Rajon Rondo - 3.6
    Kyrie Irving - 3.4
    Steve Nash - 4.2
    Jeremy Lin - 3.2

If he cant fit next to Melo hes not.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Deron Williams - 3.5
    Russell Westbrook - 3.4
    John Wall - 3.5
    Ricky Rubio - 3.7
    Rajon Rondo - 3.6
    Kyrie Irving - 3.4
    Steve Nash - 4.2
    Jeremy Lin - 3.2

OK...so you're Dolan....what PG is/was available that fits next to Melo?

And do you dudes realize that using the ASPM(Advanced Statistical Plus/Minus) rating that Melo in his 10 year career is rated lower than guys like Fat Lever, Hersey Hawkins, Dale Davis, Jeff Hornacek and Terrell Brandon?

The reason I'm so passionate about this is because Carmelo has the raw talent to run shit....and he did at Syracuse where "his way" was enough to win. But his refusal to adapt to the team concept at the NBA level is frustrating.

Horseleech said:
    Lin was offered way too much money and there was no way Linsanity was going to last, the Knicks were right to let him go.

Melo isn't doomed to be a loser, but he isn't mentally tough and doesn't have leadership skills. He could be on a winner, but not as the main guy.

And as long as the dark cloud of the Dolans hangs over MSG, there will never be a championship.

No question Lin got overpaid.....but if you're gonna piss away money on the likes of Felton, Artest and Kenyon Martin at least you could have re-couped some of that $8 mil on Lin's marketability.

And I agree 100%....you should NEVER try to build a team around a guy who is not mentally tough and doesn't have leadership skills....and to hear people blaming anything else but this is crazy to me.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Deron Williams - 3.5
    Russell Westbrook - 3.4
    John Wall - 3.5
    Ricky Rubio - 3.7
    Rajon Rondo - 3.6
    Kyrie Irving - 3.4
    Steve Nash - 4.2
    Jeremy Lin - 3.2

OK...so you're Dolan....what PG is/was available that fits next to Melo?

And do you dudes realize that using the ASPM(Advanced Statistical Plus/Minus) rating that Melo in his 10 year career is rated lower than guys like Fat Lever, Hersey Hawkins, Dale Davis, Jeff Hornacek and Terrell Brandon?

The reason I'm so passionate about this is because Carmelo has the raw talent to run shit....and he did at Syracuse where "his way" was enough to win. But his refusal to adapt to the team concept at the NBA level is frustrating.

Hey Rock,

Your final points so aptly sum up my attitude about Carmelo Anthony. He's far too talented to have such a poorly-rounded overall game at this stage of his career. He could be so much better if he would change his attitude and approach. I have the same issue with Dwight Howard (who is playing well these days), though I can imagine playing with Kobe as the 1st option was a nightmare for him as a premiere player (can't get enough offensive 'touches'-related). Oh well, my dude right now, and I have propped him for a while, is Lamarcus Aldridge. He has a ridiculous skill set, and finally, he's playing like he wants to win (having a good point PG in Lillard doesn't hurt either).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Rockadelic said:
    And BTW.....I like the Warriors roster a lot...they are probably one year and one player away from seriously competing for a ring.

I dunno that they're that close to being a serious threat to win rings--they're extremely reliant on having a lot of terrible shots go in, and Curry, while a one-of-a-kind scoring threat, is also a turnover machine--but they are fun as shit to watch, and I'm sure nobody wants to get stuck against them in the playoffs.

Yep, the Warriors will die by the jumper and their relative lack of D in the West. The way to solve them (and other teams like them who thrive on transition buckets such as the Clippers and Thunder, and the Heat out East to a lesser extent), is to make them play in the half-court.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• Rockadelic said:
    to hear people blaming anything else but this is crazy to me.

so in your view, the only thing the Knicks did wrong was acquiring Anthony?

[
    Hey Rock,

Your final points so aptly sum up my attitude about Carmelo Anthony. He's far too talented to have such a poorly-rounded overall game at this stage of his career. He could be so much better if he would change his attitude and approach. I have the same issue with Dwight Howard (who is playing well these days), though I can imagine playing with Kobe as the 1st option was a nightmare for him as a premiere player. Oh well, my dude right now, and I have propped him for a while, is Lamarcus Aldridge. He has a ridiculous skill set, and finally, he's playing like he wants to win (having a good point PG in Lillard doesn't hurt either).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Stacks......Aldridge is from just south of Dallas and I watched him play in H.S....when he was a Junior at Seagoville H.S. Shaq came down, spent a week with him and proclaimed he was the next dominating big man...dude is solid and still getting better.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

No, thinking he was the centerpiece that a championship team could be built around was where they blew it.

That and signing a bunch of knuckleheads.

• Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

No, thinking he was the centerpiece that a championship team could be built around was where they blew it.

Well, him and Amare were supposed to be the centerpiece. Unfortunately Amare's knees are made out of ping pong balls and rubber bands.

And like I said, if they didn't blow their whole entire wad unnecessarily to bring Melo in mid-season, they could have built a functional squad around him. Instead, they signed the bunch they did, and nobody here seems willing to admit that they made it as deep as they did more or less on Melo and JR's scoring. Two guys who you suggest are responsible for the Knicks *not* winning.

JR Smith is the only knucklehead they signed for a real reason - all these other dudes were just patches to an already-fucked system.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

They overpaid Amare, and acquired Melo for them to play together.
    Amare was playing his ass off until the injury.
    After paying those two dudes and Chandler they had no wiggle room to get another All-Star to compliment Melo.
    If they had cap space don't u think they would have gotten someone else?

Melo was step two and they haven been able to add to that. They had to dump Copeland cause they had no money.

And lets keep it real, even before Melo and a healthy Amare, The Knicks were/are no where near contending. Getting Melo was a ticket seller.
    U still need an All-Star to go deep. Its what u place around your stars that make the difference.

The Pacers only had Granger for a couple of years. They got lucky and signed a veteran PF, w/ George and Hibbert developing into stars.
    But can u really say any of them is a player u can build a chip around? George is becoming that dude, but he still is a Pippen.
    Good management fits the right dudes together and takes it from there.

Rockadelic said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Rockadelic said:

Hey Rock,

A lot of teams have front office boneheads that devise seriously flawed strategic plans. Hell, why does Brooklyn think they can win with a team assembled around D-Will and Joe Johnson (with a bunch of geriatrics and underachievers mixed in)? Does Philly think a team built around Thaddeus Young and Evan Turner will be successful? Why in the hell did they trade J-Ru? The Warriors will underachieve with Curry as the focal point. Blake Griffin isn't sufficiently skilled enough to bring home a ring (with Chris Paul or not). Dude's footwork in the post is deplorable. Toronto, at least, wised up and dealt away Rudy Gay. Ultimately, championships are won in the post (or close to the basket). Perimeter teams with poor half-court play will never get rings.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

batmon said:
    The Pacers only had Granger for a couple of years. They got lucky and signed a veteran PF, w/ George and Hibbert developing into stars.
    But can u really say any of them is a player u can build a chip around? George is becoming that dude, but he still is a Pippen.

I think Paul George is that dude now mainly because he has a well rounded game and plays smart, team ball.....today he would be in my Top 5 of dudes I'd want to build around.

Miami won without a significant post player.

batmon said:

Hey Batmon,

Yes, but they play sound team defense (ala the 91-93 and 96-98 Bulls) which allows them to get easy buckets around the basket in transition. Few teams are playing such well-rounded ball on both ends of the floor.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

I think Paul George is that dude now mainly because he has a well rounded game and plays smart, team ball.....today he would be in my Top 5 of dudes I'd want to build around.

I agree, but he wasnt that dude in his rookie season.
    Bird and Walsh built a team with the hope of seeing them grow. Its paid off.

Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:

Hey Batmon,
    Yes, but they play sound team defense (ala the 91-93 and 96-98 Bulls) which allows them to get easy buckets around the basket in transition. Few teams are playing such well-rounded ball on both ends of the floor.
    Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt.

Dominant low post play is taking a back seat to guard & perimeter play these days.

I look at Houston and Harden should be the second option.

batmon said:
    Big_Stacks said:
    batmon said:

Hey Batmon,
    Peace,Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt.

Dominant low post play is taking a back seat to guard & perimeter play these days.

I look at Houston and Harden should be the second option.

His erratic offensive style drives me nuts, though. And yes, Paul George is that dude...PERIOD!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Trying to fit the "right" players around Carmelo is like Richard Pryor saying he just hasn't met the right woman yet after 9 marriages!

Rockadelic said:
    Trying to fit the "right" players around Carmelo is like Richard Pryor saying he just hasn't met the right woman yet after 9 marriages!

LOL

What about Dominique Wilkins?

He had a decent squad around him. Atlanta had regular Playoff appearances. Not championship level but threats in the East.

Dr. J wasn't a great defensive player and he paired w/ Moses to get a ring?

Dirk finally played in the Post alongside a bunch of role players and Dallas got a chip against a rookie Miami.

Not every Chip team has a Jordan, LeBron, Bird. Magic. All around Allstars. Magic and Bird's defense wasn't that great.

• ... all of which is why they should trade Melo.

But they won't.

Rockadelic said:

Escalation of commitment:

(Definition) Tendency to invest additional resources in an apparently losing proposition, influenced by effort, money, and time already invested

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/escalation-of-commitment.html#ixzz2ozlDCvCa

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• also, in back to back games against the raptors i didn't really see the knicks set up any offensive structure to speak of. they're a whole franchise in complete disarray from the head office on down to the hardwood and everyone is racing to be a part of the pile on.

i'd have pity, but it's the knicks.......... fuck the knicks.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    ... all of which is why they should trade Melo.

But they won't.

If they did what would you expect/think they could get for him?

• Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:

(Definition) Tendency to invest additional resources in an apparently losing proposition, influenced by effort, money, and time already invested

Read more: http://www.businessdictionary.com/definition/escalation-of-commitment.html#ixzz2ozlDCvCa

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

basically the ONLY thing to dolan's credit is that he went out and got k-mart (a knucklehead) to try to recreate the working formula in denver from half a decade ago. outside of that it's been a comedy of errors.

in retrospect, making the trade for kyle lowry might have been the best move for NY.... his numbers since have been nothing short of spectacular for a guy with his limited skillset.

Big_Stacks said:
    Rockadelic said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Like a lyric in one of my favorite songs about heroin addiction.

"Good money after bad just to feed this thing"