Is Baseball slowly dying?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    asstro said:
    most b-ball players get some college/life experience before they are full time athletes.

That is absolutely hilarious.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:

Game 7, 2013 NBA Finals, Heat/Spurs - 26.3 million viewers
    Game 7, 2011 World Series, Cardinals/Rangers - 25.4 million viewers

What was 2012 World Series Number?

DB_Cooper said:
    asstro said:
    most b-ball players get some college/life experience before they are full time athletes.

"Trust me, young paduan. I spent an entire freshmen year at Kentucky not going to class and taking payoffs from boosters before entering the NBA. I am thus wise in the ways of the world."

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    asstro said:

At face value yes, but seriously. There are very few players going from HS to the NBA anymore. The 1 or 2 years that they might spend at a college, even if they do no real work or anything, makes a difference IMO. Compared to a 17 year old HS grad who goes straight to A ball with a bunch of baseball lifers anyway... Not saying that the NBA is MENSA at all though, don't get it twisted.

asstro said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    asstro said:

At face value yes, but seriously. There are very few players going from HS to the NBA anymore. The 1 or 2 years that they might spend at a college, even if they do no real work or anything, makes a difference IMO. Compared to a 17 year old HS grad who goes straight to A ball with a bunch of baseball lifers anyway...

Oh, I'm not defending how stupid many baseball players are. But I wouldn't equate a year or two in a major college basketball program to anything even remotely close to real-world experience. They're already well inside the special bubble of high-level athletics at that point.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    gareth said:
    To Batmon's point, there is no more Straw That Stirs the Drink.

Jeter is on fumes.
    Arod is on fumes, has zero personality.
    Ortiz is on the back 9.
    Miggy and Fielder are in Detroit.
    Bryce Harper is exciting, but young... we'll see.
    People seem to love the Giants, but Lincecum is falling precipitously.
    The Mets are loveable losers.
    I can't name a cub or White Sock.
    The Cardinals are boring.
    Puig is too young.
    Hamilton and Pujols look washed up.

Plus, who has talent and panache? There ain't much of it these days...

So basically a guy who doesn't like baseball doesn't care about any of its stars. Got it.

That does not in any way translate to baseball dying, of course. Slowly or not. Any more than the scare stories about head injuries mean football is dying. Neither sport is dying, both are thriving by any reasonable assessment of the evidence.

No, I'm saying the vast majority of the US population doesn't care about it's stars because they do not exist.

There is no larger than life figure in the game. Honestly, the Sox-Yankees rivalry gave a huge boost to baseball in the aughts, as they weren't just competitive and heated, but those series had real deal stars- Jeter, Rivera, Ortiz, Manny, Pedro, ARod... I mean, there was some juice to that.

Cano, I guess, is a star. But, where is the national spokesperson shit? Batmon is right- Jim Palmer was an underwear model that women swooned over. Now?

Michael Phelps- A SWIMMER- gets more love and recognition...

• by the way, while it's true that many baseball players are drafted out of highschool, an incredibly small amount actually get to the pros before 22. i'd actually submit that you get WAY more "life experience" riding the bus in AAA all across america than you would as some superstar in university. i played collegiate sports, and even at a low level in a poorly funded system, the better athletes had very little more to do than show up to games and win. life in a bubble.

also, there hasn't been a single point put forth here that actually suggests that the game of baseball itself is dying, only it's lack of appeal...... wouldn't that just imply that it is america itself that is in fact dying?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:

here's a few:

Over the 4-game series, Giants pitching held Tigers stars Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder to a combined 4 for 27 (.148). Cabrera went 3 for 13, Fielder was 1 for 14.

The Tigers??? near-legend, Justin Verlander, not only lost, 8-3 to the Giants, but got bombed, lasting just four innings in which he gave up five runs and staggered through 98 pitches.

With three home runs in a World Series game, Pablo Sandoval joined the ranks of Babe Ruth (twice), Reggie Jackson, and Albert Pujols as the only players to accomplish such a feat.

MVP Sandoval went 8 for 16 (.500) in the series.

etc.........

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Texas Ranger average home attendance per game

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

15.5 million for the deciding game. In a 4 game series, which I know you won't acknowledge as a factor, anymore than you answered the overall attendance question.

You've got your mind made up and you won't consider the overwhelming evidence that you're wrong.

The 2007 Spurs/Cavs final game (also a Game 4) had 12 million viewers. By your standards the NBA is doomed.

Good thing your standards are basically nonsense, huh? Because I would miss the NBA.

"Who Cares"

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Texas Ranger average attendance per game

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

And throughout the 90's Baltimore had an average around 43,000 and now it's doing around 23 for the past 3 years.

Cycles, how do they work?

Not sure what the point of all this is tho. Everyone knows where the future of American sport is going...

batmon said:

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

Top 10 Video Games of 2012

• DOR said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Texas Ranger average attendance per game

1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

And throughout the 90's Baltimore had an average around 43,000 and now it's doing around 23 for the past 3 years.

Cycles, how do they work?

Not sure what the point of all this is tho. Everyone knows where the future of American sport is going...

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    batmon said:

don't think this is indicative of anything. Baseball videogames are second only to golf games on the unexciting sports game scale.

It seems to me that there is a mindset, well represented on SS, that views baseball as part of the Amerikka that is loathed by people with said mindset. A game steeped in tradition(s) that have not changed over a 100 plus year period which included some of the most shameful years in U.S. history. I believe that to some, baseball represents the "old school" in more ways than just one.

In reality baseball has become the most diverse of the major sports in the U.S. and while it's rules have remained the same, it's appeal has grown outside the U.S. tremendously. Baseball is not dying, not even a little bit, much to the chagrin of some.

Rockadelic said:
    In reality baseball has become the most diverse of the major sports in the U.S..

That's Bullshit!

batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

I don't do those slideshows.

who won?

28.1% of the MLB opening day rosters were non-U.S. players

The NBA was second @ 12.3%

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:
    In reality baseball has become the most diverse of the major sports in the U.S..

That's Bullshit!

It's a lot closer to being accurate than your beyond-bullshit thread thesis, Deadmon.

Baseball is not more diverse than MLS.

Dude, dont front like your not having fun discussing your sport. No one but YOU has sprinkled your responses w/ insults.
    Your much to old for that shit. If we all were snapping on one another, shit would be fine, but your continual snarky attitude just make u look stupid amongst us "putative adults".

Stay on topic. U dont win any points with that shit, son.

NEW YORK (AP) ??? Major League Baseball has created a task force that will study how to increase diversity in the game, especially among Black players.

Commissioner Bud Selig announced the committee Wednesday.

In less than a week, baseball will celebrate the 66th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. A new movie titled ???42??? focuses on the Hall of Famer.

The 18-member committee includes representatives from club ownership, the players??? union, minor league and college baseball, the MLB scouting bureau and other areas. Hall of Famer Frank Robinson and former major league manager Jerry Manuel are among the members.

MLB says about 8.5 percent of players on this year???s opening day rosters identified themselves as African-American or black. That???s around half the number from the mid-1970s through the mid-1990s.

rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

I don't do those slideshows.

who won?

Baseball was not in the top 10. Soccer,NBA, and Football were.

"Who Cares"

Rockadelic said:
    28.1% of the MLB opening day rosters were non-U.S. players

The NBA was second @ 12.3%

Find the number for Management.

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's Bullshit!

It's a lot closer to being accurate than your beyond-bullshit thread thesis, Deadmon.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_players_by_nationality

In fact, it is almost certainly true. Not that truth matters to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_NBA_players

Is it worth looking up football and hockey, ya think?

No its worth looking at upper management.

[one-post derail]

I don't fux with video games but this looks ridiculous:

[/one-post derail]

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's Bullshit!

]

MLS is NOT a major sport in the U.S. ......I worded my post the way I did for just that reason.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    re: products, mets got WISE chips

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's Bullshit!

Dude, dont front like your not having fun discussing your sport. No one but YOU has sprinkled your responses w/ insults.
    Your much to old for that shit. If we all were snapping on one another, shit would be fine, but your continual snarky attitude just make u look stupid amongst us "putative adults".

NEW YORK (AP) ??? Major League Baseball has created a task force that will study how to increase diversity in the game, especially among Black players.

In less than a week, baseball will celebrate the 66th anniversary of Jackie Robinson breaking the color barrier. A new movie titled ???42??? focuses on the Hall of Famer.

The 18-member committee includes representatives from club ownership, the players??? union, minor league and college baseball, the MLB scouting bureau and other areas. Hall of Famer Frank Robinson and former major league manager Jerry Manuel are among the members.

MLB says about 8.5 percent of players on this year???s opening day rosters identified themselves as African-American or black. That???s around half the number from the mid-1970s through the mid-1990s.

I remember when MLB didn't let dark-skinned Hispanics play. Now you don't think they count for diversity purposes. Isn't that special?

What percentage of MLS is African-American? By the way, MLS isn't a major sport in this country by the very criteria you've been setting forth here, as well as by mine.

Arguing out of incoherence is not a good strategy.

The snarkiness goes both ways and I'm not apologizing for it and I'm not your son. I don't appreciate the essential dishonesty of your approach to argument.

Even though you said you would do so, you still haven't addressed the MLB attendance advantage. And we both know why. It kills your thesis like Raid kills bugs. Dead.

tl;dr

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's Bullshit!

I remember when MLB didn't let dark-skinned Hispanics play. Now you don't think they count for diversity purposes. Isn't that special?

What percentage of MLS is African-American? By the way, MLS isn't a major sport in this country by the very criteria you've been setting forth here, as well as by mine.

Arguing out of incoherence is not a good strategy.

The snarkiness goes both ways and I'm not apologizing for it and I'm not your son. I don't appreciate the essential dishonesty of your approach to argument.

Even though you said you would do so, you still haven't addressed the MLB attendance advantage. And we both know why. It kills your thesis like Raid kills bugs. Dead.

You have female refs in MLB yet?

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

That's Bullshit!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Major_League_Baseball_players_by_nationality

In fact, it is almost certainly true. Not that truth matters to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_NBA_players

Is it worth looking up football and hockey, ya think?

No its worth looking at upper management.

Jeezus. Keep moving those goalposts, pal. Next you'll be talking about beer vendors.

The NBA continued to have the most racially diverse group of players of the major U.S. professional sports. People of color represented 82 percent of all players, and 78 percent of all players were African-American. The NBA also has a strong international contingent with 17 percent of all players from nations other than the United States.