Is Baseball slowly dying?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Bon Vivant said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    jeter

and he's slowly dying

Has MLB marketed another marquee player behind him?

Is there a younger star that is known by non-baseball heads?

I thought MLB would push for Pujols, but his production has dropped.

If Josh Hamiliton can have another big year, maybe him.

Look out for Bryce Harper, too.

Who was the last player to host SNL?

batmon said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    jeter

and he's slowly dying

Derek Jeter in 2001. Over ten fuckin years.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    DOR said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

It's about the same time I first saw arguments about how soccer would be the dominant American sport any day now.
    MLS passed NBA as the third best attendance sport in the US.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-11-07/mls-passes-nba-as-third-best-attended-american-sport

Except that this a totally irrelevant comparison because basketball is played indoors and soccer is played in stadiums.

• rain103rain103 476 Posts
    batmon said:

I was going to guess Jeter, but then again I probably haven't watched SNL since 2001...

rain103 said:
    batmon said:

I was going to guess Jeter, but then again I probably haven't watched SNL since 2001...

Tom Brady, Eli Manning , and Peyton Manning have hosted since 2001.
    How can there be no MLB champion to get that gig from baseball since?

batmon said:
    rain103 said:
    batmon said:

Tom Brady, Eli Manning , and Peyton Manning have hosted since 2001.
    How can there be no MLB champion to get that gig from baseball since?

Before him it was Billy Martin in 1986! Lulz. That must have been entertaining.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    batmon said:
    batmon said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    jeter

and he's slowly dying

"Derek Jeter's Taco Hole" was pretty funny, though. Oh, and I liked the point/counterpoint he did with Seth Meyers--"Point: Derek Jeter sucks will be argued by Seth Meyers. Counterpoint: No I don't will be argued by Derek Jeter."

Marlins Park

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    DOR said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

It's about the same time I first saw arguments about how soccer would be the dominant American sport any day now.
    MLS passed NBA as the third best attendance sport in the US.

http://www.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-11-07/mls-passes-nba-as-third-best-attended-american-sport

BOGUS STAT ALERT!

That's per game average, for anyone who didn't click through.

Overall attendance is the important stat, and baseball is far ahead of every other sport.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_attendance_figures_at_domestic_professional_sports_leagues

Sorry, I didn't compare 2,421 games played to 323. MLB is WINNING!

Which is probably why I find watching it boring for the most part. The seasons lags on and on. To me anyways...

Besides, my comment wasn't really trying to put the two sports against each other. More of a remark on your jab at soccer. Which is starting to make headway in American sports.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    In the States soccer is the game of the future... And it always will be.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    over paid bunch of entitled fat fucks

i grew up loving the game
    then drugs ,steroids,groupies,inflated egos,salaries and BS took over
    jeter makes more than the GNP of some african countries and for what?

Horseleech said:

If MLB embraced steroids it would become the WWF.
    In the short term they would get alot of casual money, but the game would get mutated in the long term.

I just think they need to market their dudes better, and remix their shit to get "hipper".
    As well as institute a pitch clock to speed the game up.

And ive said it before. They gave up on mining the inner city talent. Black, PR, DR or whatever.
    Football and Basketball have embraced the Inner city kid.
    In the 90s when a gang of cornrolled cats who grew up on mostly Hip Hop entererd their drafts, i saw no baseball equivalent to Iverson.
    MLB didnt make the sport attractive to that demographic of talent. BITD cats played all three sports. Now dudes dont have to deal with a farm system in Football or Basketball, or even Tennis and Golf, with the latter two being of more privledged arenas.
    Instead they overlooked their own homegrown kids and set up the Dominican and Puerto Rican systems on the islands to farm that talent.
    Its now too late or theyll have to uphaul their look.

Thymebomb13 said:
    rain103 said:
    batmon said:

Talk about unintentional comedy... using SNL as some sort of reference point for relevance is as funny as it gets.

if you dont think star personalities help sell a sport, your out of touch.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    speed clock?

I appreciate the idea and enthusiasm but you are dealing with amerikkka's old ass out to pasture never ever gonna change sacred cow here

i do agree with the inner city reach out,that might help a lil bit

Thymebomb13 said:
    batmon said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

People were not talkin about Soccer become the dominant American sport when the NASL came in.

I don't even know what you're saying, but they were saying it in the 70s.

I still hear soccer fans saying it, due to the increasing diversity of America, the fact that more kids are playing it, etc. But it's still not happening.

Likewise the supposed death of baseball. I'll believe it when there's some real tangible sign of it happening. And there isn't. That some MLB franchises are run by robber barons who are cheating their fans doesn't change that.

I remember the Cosmos and the hype behind it. I never heard anyone say the Soccer is going to take over Baseball, Football, Boxing Basketball, and Tennis in the late 70s. I didnt hear that junk until the 90s with the MLS.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    Hey Justin, I know you don't live here anymore but just to let you know, Sox tickets aren't hard to get at all anymore. And it coincides with the team actually being entertaining again.

Not that I care much. When I was a kid I lived and died for the Red Sox and baseball in general. Would always be reading books about the Gashouse Gang, Shoeless Joe, Big Red Machine, etc ... played wiffle ball every day, litte league ... nowadays I can barely watch an MLB game unless it's the playoffs and even then mainly only if it's the Red Sox. I just got bored with the game and also lost interest after the steroids saga and moreso after the Red Sox turned into the Yankees.

NHL, NFL, I'll watch any game any time. MLB? ehhh

I'm coming back, my man. Know that. It may take a while, but I intend to ultimately settle in the glorious city of my birth. And if the pink hats abandon ship, all the better. In that case, I might actually be able to get season tickets. I understand your alienation and disappointment. I remember the bad old days as well as the good. But the Red Sox will always be one of the most important touchstones of my youth and later life. I believe in the Impossible Dream. Every year. And I know I'm not alone. I'll tell you what. Once I return to Boston, I'm going to take you to a game-my treat-get you as drunk as I can afford, and then we'll have this conversation. In person, in the bleachers. That's the deal, and I know in your heart of hearts you'll feel the magic.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    SoulOnIce said:
    Hey Justin, I know you don't live here anymore but just to let you know, Sox tickets aren't hard to get at all anymore. And it coincides with the team actually being entertaining again.

Not that I care much. When I was a kid I lived and died for the Red Sox and baseball in general. Would always be reading books about the Gashouse Gang, Shoeless Joe, Big Red Machine, etc ... played wiffle ball every day, litte league ... nowadays I can barely watch an MLB game unless it's the playoffs and even then mainly only if it's the Red Sox. I just got bored with the game and also lost interest after the steroids saga and moreso after the Red Sox turned into the Yankees.

NHL, NFL, I'll watch any game any time. MLB? ehhh

I'm coming back, my man. Know that. It may take a while, but I intend to ultimately settle in the glorious city of my birth. I'll tell you what. Once I return to Boston, I'm going to take you to a game-my treat-get you as drunk as I can afford, and then we'll have this conversation. In person, in the bleachers. That's the deal, and I know in your heart of hearts you'll feel the magic.
    This sounds like one bromantical magic bro-ment in the making.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    kala said:
    speed clock?
    Like a shot clock, but for pitchers to throw the ball.
    Baseball will still suck, but will get done quicker.

The_Non said:
    kala said:
    speed clock?
    Like a shot clock, but for pitchers to throw the ball.
    Baseball will still suck, but will get done quicker.

Bingo. Close to three hours is crazy.

• let these young ADD kids have their own new game. im grown and getting growner, and im not the only one.

vintageinfants said:
    let these young ADD kids have their own new game. im grown and getting growner, and im not the only one.

Are you for tweaking the sport for a new generation or keeping it as is for old foggies?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    The ADD generation hates baseball.....it requires too much thought and attention. MLB is more exciting today than it has been in 10-15 years. Young players like Machado, Puig, McCutchen, Trout, Harper, Darvish & Harvey represent a generation of players that can bring the game to the next level. If you don't know these names you're not a baseball fan and shouldn't be in this discussion. MLB fans are the most fickle of all sports.....if their team is winning they are big fans......otherwise it's boring to them.

Rockadelic said:
    The ADD generation hates baseball.....it requires too much thought and attention. MLB is more exciting today than it has been in 10-15 years. Young players like Machado, Puig, McCutchen, Trout, Harper, Darvish & Harvey represent a generation of players that can bring the game to the next level. If you don't know these names you're not a baseball fan and shouldn't be in this discussion. MLB fans are the most fickle of all sports.....if their team is winning they are big fans......otherwise it's boring to them.

But Rock, the game cant rely on just the hardcore audience. It needs new blood.
    Should baseball just continue its course and let the chips fall where they may?
    Or is there some way to appeal to the Tweeter generation w/out sacrificing the sports integrity.

Has Basketball suffered from the no handcheck rule, which has opened up the offense and let guards put up more points vs the Pat Riley Knicks grind out type of play?

And what is the "next level" of baseball? McGuire vs Sosa without steroids or an abundance of No Hitters.

batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

Or is there some way to appeal to the Tweeter generation w/out sacrificing the sports integrity.

Has Basketball suffered from the no handcheck rule, which has opened up the offense and let guards put up more points vs the Pat Riley Knicks grind out type of play?

And what is the "next level" of baseball? McGuire vs Sosa without steroids or an abundance of No Hitters.
    Comparing MLB to NBA is a fools errand.

Baseball is a game of slow evolution .......Mays & Aaron's come along every 50 years.

It's a game of tradition and should be left alone.....it's already out-lived every other "major" sport and will continue to.

(Ground Rule) Double

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Rockadelic said:

Comparing MLB to NBA is a fools errand.

Baseball is a game of slow evolution .......Mays & Aaron's come along every 50 years.

It's a game of tradition and should be left alone.....it's already out-lived every other "major" sport and will continue to.

Sound like Jazz.

batmon said:

Sound like Jazz.

Ken Burns agrees

• Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:

Sound like Jazz.

Ken Burns agrees

i can proudly say i sat through every second of these.

i never knew Ty Cobb was such a degenerate puke.