LEAVE BEER ALONE

Comments

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    They also have a distillery across the street that does gin and bourbon; I think the label is "Old Potrero." Not great.

I ride hard for their gin and old timey whiskey. Their Junipero Gin is one of my favorites. Better than Hendrick's.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Doubled

• Horseleech said:
    America has only even tried to make good beer for like 20 years now, and we're 99% as far along as all of Euroland, which has been making beer for like a 1000 years.

Sorry, this shouldn't a big point of Europride.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    There's some amazing American brews. Something gotta be said for using the same yeast strain for 1000 years though. That being said. Euro vs American. Who cares. There's great beers all over. Cheers!!

• I will be the dude in the thread who doesn't drink. So, if anyone decides they would rather pass on drinking; they wont be alone.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts

BEEEEER!!!!

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,778 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    djwaxon said:
    There's some nice American craft ales around these days

understatement of the year.

Thanks for inventing it, guys, but the US runs beer now.

One reason that it's difficult for euromang to take American beer seriously is that just 3 generations ago teh US of A had prohibition. Satan could not have formulated a more torturous death for the government in Europe that tried such a thing. They would've prayed for the guillotine. Their cries of pain would've hit such a pitch as to melt glass, crack concrete, and trigger the spontaneous combustion of birds flying overhead. Alcohol is in the architecture of our people (literally in our genetic makeup) and it runs through our history, for better or worse, but ever flowing. In the words of one of Britain's most celebrated drunks, prohibition was "an affront to the whole history of mankind" (W. Churchill).

Good beer can be found anywhere that the effort is put in though, and I'm glad that over the last 20 years (or however long it is) Americans are doing just that. Have had some great beers over there.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I won't argue about US vs. Dutch weed since my pallette isn't all that refined. I understand our shit is pretty decent, though. I heard that somewhere.

I will. I smoked my way through Amsterdam about 15 years ago, ingesting ridiculous amounts of weed and hash. The best stuff coming out of Cali these days can easily compete, and quite possible beat out the Amsterdam stuff. That's not a knock on Amsterdam???it's a tribute to the horticultural skill of California weed growers. I mean, I got minor mushroom-like visual distortions on some of that Amsterdam stuff, but I've gotten that off some super high-grade Cali stuff too. Of course, finding decent hash???hell, any hash at all???around these parts is raer.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    staxwax said:
    keep your tacky cars

Most of the "best" Euro cars I'm seeing in this thread look like penises. I consider that tacky.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    I bet my left nut that there is nothing close to this in the USA

• finelikewine said:

not a fair argument???that's the best beer in the world.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I'm pretty sure this isn't even up for debate. I was home with the flu last week and watched a documentary called BeerFest. Not only did the Americans make a better beer, but they can drink it faster as well.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some old college buddies of mine brew these...

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

that fake bavarian one is cute :lol:

• ppadilhappadilha 2,233 Posts
    not trying to wade in on the 'mericaman vs euroman brews battle, but this is cool:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2013/06/idea-of-the-week-mapping-the-rise-of-craft-beer.html

• finelikewine said:
    HarveyCanal said:

that fake bavarian one is cute :lol:

I like how they're all labelled "Real Ale" just so we know for sure.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    Been to Geargia lately and the only Beer that made me smile was Sweetwater 420. By the Bottle or Tab, that was some good work.

• J i m s t e r said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Apparently, American beer doesn't make you mumble nonsensically as much as Euro beer does.

THEN IT HAS FAILED.

Duderonomy

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Just to note Spanish Estrella Damm is the shit
    Just had three pints.

That is all

Been loving this one as of late...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Been loving this one as of late...

^^^ nice one; was up in Ft. Bragg last summer and had dinner at the brewery. ^^^

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    If that's the Pilsner, it is good. Trader Joe's in So Cal sell those. A tip for any of you near a Trader Joe's: They are 100% ok with you buying a single beer out of six pack, and there's no premium charge. If a 6-pack is $6, they charge you $1.00 for one.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Just quietly, you yanks cannot hang with Aussie local beers

I'm not sure how I lived without this beer after I first tatest it. They do things better in Western Australia, for some reason.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    :hi:

• Nah, we wont leave it alone. I actually perfected a pale ale and a double ipa recipe. I wish I was still brewing.

Right now The United States is in a renaissance of beercraft. Don't resist, get with it.

That Scrimshaw is the good, good, even though I lean towards ale. I always recommend it.

Hangar 64 has a mean Double IPA that will twist your shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    This article on some of Berlin's craft beers is pretty good.

Take-that-shit-to-the-brits.com bonus beat (toilet humour-r);

As you can see, it is possible to quite literally get wankered in Berlin. I've actually tried the pilsener, and it's easily amongst the best I've had since I moved here. There's only one place in the city you can get it (a little bar/restauarant in Prenzlauerberg), but it's worth going out of your way for.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    finelikewine said:

not a fair argument???that's the best beer in the world.

How did I miss this? +1 for Augustiner Helles, my flasche of choice.

Shout-out for this as well - a lovely, clean, crisp drop of gargle.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    :hi:

Man......a super cold Ballantine used to be my SHIT.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,885 Posts
    Copped this weekend. Gringdonkleous!

Real Ale special edition about to drop...