LEAVE BEER ALONE

1235»

Comments

• foefoe turo de la peira 196 Posts
    Yes, I've been drinking so much Voll Damm that it has stopped giving that kick and just give me a runny shit the day after. Sitting inside drinking, smoking and working have made me fat so now i only have a few galicia or alhambras once and then. Get the alhambra on the green bottle, or the slightly strong red one, for the best 'normal' beer of spain.

I had the Innis & Gunn ones when I lived in Dublin and it is a treat indeed. But nothing is like belgium beer for me, although this thread have given me 2-3 german ones i have to seek out.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,777 Posts
    This is a good local Belgian-style one.

As is this

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,883 Posts
    YES.  Voll Damn.  We got through sommadat in Sitges.  I don't think overseas travel is on the cards for me for quite some time, what with the old Covids and me pretty much spending more than all my savings keeping my head above water whilst jobless for the whole of 2020 so far.  But one day... [Mentally buksts out an a-la-casa cold one down the fish shack in Talamanca... Gracias Paco!]
    Duderonomy

This is lovely... even the misses will have a sip of this one and stouts are usually too much for her.

Amusingly named, a tad too sweet & malty for me.

Tropical! Grapefruit in there... not quite Elvis Juice, but close.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    I’m actually not a big fan of dry, hoppy beers.

I hate them too, actually - but that one hits just right to where it's refreshing as hell.

Anyone feeling the sour/gose flavours?  I know it's been trendy but I appreciate this trend much more than the IPA wave.

They were giving these Innis & Gunn lagers away last summer to promote them and I had to throw mine out before finishing it. Straight up booty - I can't even drink the classic anymore because the flavours overlap a touch and I was scarred THAT MUCH.  Must be too much "naked golden oats".

...mmmmm, stick with whisky straight.

ketan said:
    I’m actually not a big fan of dry, hoppy beers.

I hate them too, actually - but that one hits just right to where it's refreshing as hell.

Anyone feeling the sour/gose flavours?  I know it's been trendy but I appreciate this trend much more than the IPA wave.

Seen ‘em but not been tempted. Yet. Temperatures are rising though, so may try soon. Any recommendations?

This is a great flavoured, easy drinker (supping one as I type, natch), and the name is again amusing: the date commemorates the English handing the French their arses in a decisive battle just outside Quebec.

Hence the Extra Special bitter  

Another fruity one, great on a hot day.

Sometimes I’ll buy a can just for the artwork.
    Jimster

Very nice, not too strong or sweet with a great flavour.

Average porter, above average can art.
    Jimster

6.9%(!) IPA, grapefruit with a hoppy aftertaste.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts

BCN had a great craft beer scene while I was there, but the price comparison between local wines and imported beers wasn’t good, so it was more of a treat than the norm. In Quebec I want to cry when I see the price of Spanish wines. The restaurants here are criminal with their mark-ups.

The first time I visited BCN, I was still living in NYC and on the first night we realized our notion of prices was totally ridiculous. We sat down for dinner at a restaurant and the waiter asked what we were going to drink, so my girlfriend at the time and I looked at the wine list and each pointed at one. The waiter was like, "you're each going to have a bottle??" We had just assumed based on the price (something like 8 euros) that it was by the glass, since that was low for a glass of wine in a restaurant in New York. A lot of wine was had during that trip. Beer not so much, I never ran into any craft brews there and there was no point in having Estrella Damm when the wine was so cheap and good.

I only know the Unibroue stuff from Quebec but I ride hard for those. Had a Fin du Monde right when the pandemic kicked off.

Duderonomyfoe

ppadilha said:

Had a Fin du Monde right when the pandemic kicked off.

Hah, thought about that but was too paranoid that I’d be tempting fate!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,231 Posts
    I figured might as well drink to it
    Duderonomy

Jimster said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Apparently, American beer doesn't make you mumble nonsensically as much as Euro beer does.

THEN IT HAS FAILED.

This post deserves a medal LOL. Two or three pages of this pissing contest could be destroyed. 

Jimster

File next to: the lifestyle is the game.

Jimster said:
     Not touching Tequila ever again.

I haven't done tequila since leaving Spain. The cost of eating/drinking out makes it not so attractive... probably be asked to tip for each shot poured.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,093 Posts
    Duderonomy

• these are heady times for beer brand graphic designers... this will be looked upon in history as the Harlem Renaissance of innovative brand identities. that's a joke, jesus, I can imagine somebody saying that for real.

I know a dude who is like a hardcore-ish leftist with a massive buddhist chest tattoo, an aspiring tattooist himself, but his most lucrative billpaying line of work is doing this kind of graphic design on stuff like these cans you all are posting. 

we're looking for "twee but mischievous" for our pun named IPA...

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Wowww totally forgot about this thread and no idea why i made the OP - just trying to stir shit up for fun bitd I guess? It was in jest i assure you. Ive gone through long stretches of not drinking at all recently but have regressed heavily in days of 'rona. This was a nice recent one from a mates brewery which went from Micro to being bought by Heineken in just a few years. He got accused of selling out by the indy beer police but retired in his thirties... 
    Duderonomy

staxwax said:

AAAAAARRRRGGGHHH my eyes!

I’ve also been passing the lockdown with a bevy or three, but now need to get into shape. Met some of the expat community and joined a football (soccer) team full of South Americans. Will endeavour to bring the English flavour to proceedings...

staxwax

we're looking for "twee but mischievous" for our pun named IPA...

You’re making an IPA?

Some context/theme might help the creative juices.

Or a beer.