TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    BOOM!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    We on track.

+6000 with over 100,000 views. Not bad for a core of about 5 to 10 people.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    oof

fall to the mighty Bradford.

me thinks my arsenal have lost a bit of their swagger

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    " Wow they spent [insert some big number here] and couldn't beat [insert team with smaller finances here], just proves you can't buy [abstract concept] or the [insert competition here], not like [smaller-financed team] who grow all their own talent."

Been hearing that a lot, I believe this is the appropriate response, regardless of the unfolding of events.

Or this:

(Johnny Foreigner / southern softies / highly paid fancy dans without mortgage riding on the result) don't (like it up 'em / icy midweek nights) in (the Britannia / some random industrial town up north).

I suspect the theory postulated by *t*v* above is entirely accurate.

I've seen Robinho, remember. He was like a one-man Madame Tussauds.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    jlee said:
    oof

me thinks my arsenal have lost too many world class players and replaced them with 'potential'

Treble is still on though.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    who wants to go hang out at Ronaldo's after the game?

Cracking performance but FFWD to about 5mins when man goes walking in the crowd. 1984 fashions. Oh my dayyyys! The flashbacks... Check out man rocking, like, some funky Tom Baker steez, right next to arms-folded man - could it be his Insignia roll-on has let him down badly?

• Duderonomy said:
    jlee said:
    oof

me thinks my arsenal have lost too many world class players and replaced them with 'potential'

Treble is still on though.

yes!

b/w

no. this is officially end-of-an-era arsenal with wenger having completely lost his ability to spot and nurture new talent. chamakh, park and gervinho gervais have no business in any arsenal team (league cup youth team or otherwise). if it remains like this i predict mid-table mediocrity (cf. liverpool) for some time to come.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    neil_something said:
    mid-table mediocrity (cf. liverpool)

We're going in the right direction and are only four points off the CL places. Not bad for a team supposedly set for relegation.

That aside, and speaking of comparisons with Arsenal, I was talking to one of the guys at work who follows English football (his German team is Werder Bremen), and he was saying he couldn't figure out what has happened to them. I suggested that they were in a similar situation to us at the turn of the 90s, most notably in the way they've lost too many key players too quickly and failed to bring in replacements of sufficient quality. This is leading them into a slow, incremental decline - more frequent and more humiliating losses season-upon-season, for instance - that'll take them decades to recover from, if they ever do.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    only four points off the CL places.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Feel bad for lol... Can't help myself.

DOR said:
    Feel bad for lol... Can't help myself.

FFS, I can't decide if that's just an Everton supporter's reaction to Suarez or something more serious...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    soulcitizen said:

to be fair, at this time we were looking like a much more impressive team. Diaby was still alive and playing well, Corzola was clicking well with Arteta and the schitt show that is Gervinho appeared to actually know how to kick a ball.

fast forward a few weeks, Diaby shockinlgy gets injured, and we have a non-event internaltional break that somehow sucked out all the mojo that the team had at the time. Since that break it's been fair crap sans a decent showing against Spurs.

although I despise the word, it really does look like Arsenal have lost their swagger. Can hardly look to injuries, it is more of a confidence thing. But its hard as hell to try and understand why a team of better than average talent can't get thier head straight.

At least for the first time in years it sounds like the coach and board realize something is actually wrong at the club. Not sure what that means for the club, but better to know and admit something is wrong instead of always just trying to come up with excuses.

• I remember that bold statement after beating SUNDERLAND AT HOME and thought 'hardly makes you title material does it, I can't imagine any other manager saying that after that result against a team that were always likely to get a hiding'. I can't help but think he is part of the problem not the solution. I'm no Arsenal fan but I don't want to see any club torn apart like they are being.

Good news this week for Bradford though, got them out of their financial problems and put real pride into them.

• So City have made a loss of ??97.9m in 2011-12.

I can't help but think that part of the Arsenal problem is with Arsene buying shit players to satisfy Uefa rules that no other team gives a fuck about.

A spectacularly hammered Kim Wilde and her brother busking Kids In America and Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree on a packed commuter train. Total trouper.

skel said:

Also have a special something for Duder. After the Xmas rush.

Digits of two Indian ladies?

Head's been all over the place for a few weeks after hearing from my brother that the dentist wanted a lump on his tongue looked at (C). Went to the hospital with him yesterday and it's benign, possibly pre-malignant or something, and pending biopsy, a laser should be deal with it.
    Fucker didn't seem worried at all :-P

I'm going to America for X-Mas. Anyone has any small souvenir requests they want brought back, just let me know.

you guys probably don't care all that much, but it's a party in the favela up in here!

Er...Congrats?

Didn't even know it was on til I saw the best bits of my fantasy premier team weren't playing this week.

Really, I doubt anyone in Teh UK cares one iota. Except Rafa, who at least could have pointed to a trophy.
    And Lampard, for whom today could well have been the swansong.

it's not every day we get a chance to stick a boot up the ass of imperialist european types.

these were the scenes in S??o Paulo:

BTW no-one gives any credence to winning the Sepp Blatter Memorial Shield or whatever it is called, either this year, next year, last year or whenever. No-one.

(Word to the real deal rizzle dizzle Dolo for that line.)

• the twitter handle at the end of the first clip above looked like it said "beats by debra". it had me wondering who is debra and what does she have to do with corinthians?

but, really, does anyone care about this cup unless their team is involved? that said, it's always nice to see chelsea lose.

I know the English don't care about it, but then again, they only started bothering about the World Cup in the 1950s.

in South America it's still a HUGE deal, maybe because of our post-colonial mindset. From what I can tell in Spain and Italy they take it more seriously, but their clubs have won it more often. I suppose if an English club other than Man Utd won it (and SAF has said he likes winning it) you guys would take it more seriously as well.

Yes, it's almost 2013 and Brazil had become one of the world's economic powerhouses.
    It's time to let those colonial gripes go.

Really, the world club thing feels like a sterile set of mid-season friendlies. Contractual obligation shit.

We're glad that the hood is loving it, but 20k Brazilians travelling to Japan for this is somewhat surreal from euroman's perspective.

skel said:
    Yes, it's almost 2013 and Brazil had become one of the world's economic powerhouses.
    It's time to let those colonial gripes go.

Really, the world club thing feels like a sterile set of mid-season friendlies. Contractual obligation shit.

We're glad that the hood is loving it, but 20k Brazilians travelling to Japan for this is somewhat surreal from euroman's perspective.

for local fans it matters because you spend the whole season hearing about how much better the European leagues are, and watching all your promising players leave for clubs like Anzhi Makhachkala or Dnipro Dnipropetrovsk. So this game becomes the one chance we have to say "well, let's see if they're really that much better than we are." Santos got slaughtered by Barcelona last year, which was to be expected, but I think Corinthians showed they could probably hold their own in a league like the EPL.

This thing used to be better when it was just the Intercontinental Cup. Actually, it was the best back in the 60s when it was home-and-away, but the europeans took one too many beatings in Montevideo and they changed it to the single game in Japan of all places. Next year it will be held in Morocco, so the trip won't be as ridiculous for either team.

as for the 20K fans making the trip, Corinthians is famous for that. It helps that it's the end of the season for us down here, plus it's almost time for vacation and whatnot. I don't think it was that many who actually made the trip, there's a lot of Brazilian immigrants in Japan, and lots of japanese who lived in Brazil or have relatives there. Plus the Japanese who live in Brazil are in Parana and S??o Paulo, the two states where Corinthians has the most fans.

still, these were the scenes at the airport they day they left:

the most epic game was when 70,000 fans made the much shorter trip from S??o Paulo to Rio for a league semi-final match against Fluminense in 1976:

just imagine you're going to play in the Maracan??, and this is your traveling support

skel said:
    20k Brazilians travelling to Japan for this is somewhat surreal from euroman's perspective.

Freal doe. I know Brasil has money, but I didn't think there were that many well-paying jobs. I thought the only jobs were: Soccer Player (obviously), Samba School Drummer, Favella Warlord, Capoeira-ist, Arrow-Poisoner, or Illegal Logger. Or any combination of the above.

Only joking, of course. I was at Uni in Manchester with the Mayor of Salvador's daughter. True story.

Local Manc Experience (trenches-r)