TAKE THAT SHIT TO THE-BRITS.COM

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    anyone else relieved that the petrodollars couldn't lure Pep to either Chelsea or Man City? Is Chelsea considered petrodollars or is it embezzledollars?

Me. City fine without him. Not saying he's no good, but surely, at Barca, it must have been like this every week:

"Get the ball to Messi."

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    ppadilha said:
    anyone else relieved that the petrodollars couldn't lure Pep to either Chelsea or Man City? Is Chelsea considered petrodollars or is it embezzledollars?

Me. City fine without him. Not saying he's no good, but surely, at Barca, it must have been like this every week:

"Get the ball to Messi."

isn't that the Messi Paradox? "He's only that good because he plays at Bar??a"/"Bar??a are only that good because Messi plays with them"

I give Guardiola a lot of credit for that team. Just compare the team that won the CL in 2009 to the one that won it in 2006.

It will be interesting to see how Bayern Munich plays next season, but it helps his detractors that he'll be coaching the most dominant club in the Bundesliga.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    He's never going to come here.

Knows full well that his style of football will come unstuck on that cold Tuesday in February at the Britannia.

Clearly though it resolves the riddle of exactly who will take over from SAF.
    And it ain't Harry Redknapp.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    skel said:

The correct answer to that is of course No-one.

SAF is the manager, he has always been the manager, he will always be the manager.

Junior said:
    skel said:

SAF is the manager, he has always been the manager, he will always be the manager.

when the time comes, they'll cryogenically freeze his head and wait for the appropriate technology to arrive in order to revive him.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    Junior said:
    skel said:

when the time comes, they'll cryogenically freeze his head and wait for the appropriate technology to arrive in order to revive him.

With the current leaps and bounds being made in genetic medicine I don't think it's entirely impossible that he will go from SAF The Man to SAF The Cyborg with nary a break in between . No doubt the fairness of the "upgrades" installed debate would rage on a lot longer though.

They could give him a more accurate watch.

perhaps his nose could light up as well

Surely it does that already.

Frealdoe, he's a great manager. I couldn't imagine Pep coming with the hairdryer chat, more of a sangria-laced Summer breeze. Keano and dem completely unfazed.

I don't think the hairdryer would be Pep's style. He probably just talks down to you in a very calm and composed manner until you feel like a complete shit.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    J i m s t e r said:
    ppadilha said:

"Get the ball to Messi."

isn't that the Messi Paradox? "He's only that good because he plays at Bar??a"/"Bar??a are only that good because Messi plays with them"

I give Guardiola a lot of credit for that team. Just compare the team that won the CL in 2009 to the one that won it in 2006.

It will be interesting to see how Bayern Munich plays next season, but it helps his detractors that he'll be coaching the most dominant club in the Bundesliga.

All the lads in the office here are dead excited by it, even the ones who don't support Bayern. Their attitude is that the attention focused on Pep's arrival will benefit the German game overall in the long-term. In any event, it's the ideal set-up for him. There's neither the need nor the pressure to rebuild the squad or immediately deliver success, there's a solid youth policy, he won't have to deal with an interfering moneybags owner parachuting players into the squad against his wishes, and stylistically it's the best possible league for him to coach in before finally taking the United job coming to the Prem.

With only three years left on Ferguson's contract, all the talk now will be about who'll take over from him. If United try to replace him with a marquee name, they should focus on making Pep a world-beating offer as soon as his Bayern contract expires. Judging from the low-key way the talks progressed there, it wouldn't surprise me if he'd already indicated to United off the record that he'd be willing to take the job once he's out of contract with Bayern, subject to certain things being in place by the time he arrives.

If Pep's a success and decides to stay in M??nchen, then they'd be far better off trying to land Moyes than anyone else. He's philosophically similar to Taggart, and he's done almost as much as it's possible for anyone to do at Everton without a vastly-increased transfer kitty. Getting them into the CL is now a realistic prospect, even if it would underline the ridiculousness of the competition's title, and it'd be a suitable high note to leave on. He could provide United with something approaching the kind of continuity they'll need when Ferguson finally steps down. Even though his record isn't as illustrious, he's much less of a risk in many respects, and he's unlikely to go in there with a huge list of demands either. If he's after the opportunity to prove what he can do at a big club with plenty of cash, then where better to do it?

Mourinho is a busted flush now, I reckon. Most United fans I know keep an uneasy peace with the rags' current "winning ugly" style as it is, and I doubt Mourinho would be universally popular if he brought his version of it to the swamp, as history indicates he will. Regardless, he's a lousy long-term bet as well. The moment anyone told him he can't have [player X] without first selling [players T, U & V], he'd be out the door.

• I believe Chelsea probably threw the most money at Guardiola but he knew he wouldn't get the time to complete his plan with them.

I have a lot of respect for Bayern in the way the club is ran and how they go about their business. They are very much like Barca in the way they bring young talent through and they also seem to have the knack of buying great players at seemingly great prices in comparison with others.

I think many may see it as the perfect stepping stone for Pep before moving over to United, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stays there a long time with the intent of building a dynasty..

What, like a thousand year thing?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think both Guardiola and Mourinho ascribe to the Bela Guttman rule that a manager's cycle doesn't last more than 3 or 4 seasons. Don't see either of them staying long term at any one place.

and I think Man Utd fans are delusional if they expect the next manager to stay on as long as SAF has, but if that's what they want then Moyes would be the best bet. He's certainly a better option than Mourinho and maybe he'd be given more time to fill Ol' Puceface's boots, whereas Mourinho always arrives at a club with the pressure to win titles straight away.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't see how Guardiola is a good fit for United, so I'm bemused why you are seemingly certain he will end up there. Maybe there was some article in some rag I missed?

For years now United have had a team that revolves around building everything off a solid defence. They play a very simple effective system that doesn't rely heavily on players being particularly creative or versatile. Not that the United players aren't, so it's not a Stoke / Barca type comparison but it's their styles are poles apart. Barca on the other hand barely play any typical defenders.
    Maybe Pep is the master of more than doing it the Barca way, but that's in his blood, and why pay all that money for him if not to recreate the magic of Barca. I don't see a Fergie United team playing tiki taka.

Mou would be a much more obvious replacement, he would be a perfect fit for them straight out the gate. Plus now the Bayern job has gone, where's there left for him to go? He's won nearly all he can in Europe, anywhere else but United would really be a step down.

• HAI GUYS!

sorry. this is the only thread i can read these days.

big gulps eh? see ya later.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

so Scolari called up Ronaldinho for the friendly v. England next month. I keep picturing him filling out the call-up sheet, thinking to himself: your move, Sven.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    although i respect swansea chelsea were poor on the day
    rafa talks all about he could have 2 striker..than do it
    relentless attacking football is what they do best and what you need with a 2 goal agg deficit
    useless...
    i want mou to return

Torres would have missed the ball boy.

ppadilha said:
    so Scolari called up Ronaldinho for the friendly v. England next month.

He was so good for a while. Should've focused on football and not partying.

I'm always amazed at how Chelse's players are willing to sabotage a season just because they don't like a coach. It's obvious they want Rafa out. I imagine they'll just do the bare minimum required to hold onto a CL spot, and I don't see anyone other than Mourinho keeping them happy. Roman is running out of managers he hasn't hired anyway.

Duderonomy said:
    ppadilha said:
    so Scolari called up Ronaldinho for the friendly v. England next month.

He was so good for a while. Should've focused on football and not partying.

I too used to think like this. But then, if you are going to party, why not do it while you are young, with no ties and while your body can take the most punishment? No point partying when your career is over, page 3 hookers won't want to sleep with old men when they can bag current players

Perhaps if he didn't party, he would not have been the player he was? He didn't do bad:

Honours

Club
    Gr??mio
    South Cup (1): 1999
    Rio Grande do Sul State Championship (1): 1999
    Paris Saint-Germain
    UEFA Intertoto Cup (1): 2001
    Barcelona
    La Liga (2): 2004???05, 2005???06
    Supercopa de Espa??a (2): 2005, 2006
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2005???06
    AC Milan
    Serie A (1): 2010???11
    Flamengo
    Ta??a Guanabara (1): 2011
    Ta??a Rio (1): 2011
    Campeonato Carioca (1): 2011
    International
    Brazil
    Copa Am??rica (1): 1999
    FIFA World Cup (1): 2002
    FIFA Confederations Cup (1): 2005
    Supercl??sico de las Am??ricas (1): 2011
    Brazil U23
    CONMEBOL Men Pre-Olympic Tournament (1): 1999
    Olympic Bronze Medal (1): 2008
    Brazil U17
    FIFA U-17 World Championship (1): 1997
    Individual
    FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Ball: 1999
    FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Shoe: 1999
    Rio Grande do Sul State Championship Top Scorer: 1999
    CONMEBOL Men Pre-Olympic Tournament Top Scorer: 2000
    FIFA World Cup All-Star Team: 2002
    FIFA 100
    Don Bal??n Award (2): 2003???04, 2005???06
    La Liga Ibero-American Player of the Year (1): 2004
    FIFA World Player of the Year (2): 2004, 2005
    Ballon d'Or (1): 2005
    FIFPro World Player of the Year (2): 2005, 2006
    UEFA Club Best Forward (1): 2004???05
    UEFA Club Footballer of the Year (1): 2005???06
    UEFA Team of the Year (3): 2003???04, 2004???05, 2005???06
    FIFPro World XI (3): 2004???05, 2005???06, 2006???07
    Golden Foot (1): 2009

watching him fall off from 2007 onwards was one of the more depressing footballing experiences I've had. He was just insane up to that point.

he had his moments this past year, and considering the national team is shite atm, might as well call him up...

Looks like Mario is going back to Milan, and I ain't mad. Was a red card liability at times. Never showed his full potential in a City shirt. The prem will be a less colourful place without him doe.

J i m s t e r said:
    Looks like Mario is going back to Milan, and I ain't mad. Was a red card liability at times. Never showed his full potential in a City shirt. The prem will be a less colourful place without him doe.

Speaking of Milan, after Sunday's shambles, I'll be surprised if Coutinho even bothers going to the airport today. "Magic of the Cup", my back-eye.

I'm surprised that pundits and public seem surprised at these cupsets.

There's less difference between EPL and Championship, and championship and lower divisions than peeps acknowledge. Partly because most of them never watch non-EPL.
    Same fitness, slightly higher skillz vs heightened hunger, all are equally well organised. Throw in an upferit crowd and it's game on.

Friday night was like being back in the late 80s. A fantastic night out.