BEATOFF 2: SCORPIOFF, Who Amongst You Is Wo/Man Enough to Throw Down?

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
Hey everybody,
The winner of the last beatoff, m_dejean, has chosen Scorpio for the next beatoff! Dennis Coffey-Scorpio.

*ALL BEATS DUE OCTOBER 15, 2012, 11:59 PM PACIFIC TIME (DEADLINE EXTENDED FOR DAMNABLE SLACKERZ!)
*CAN ONLY USE DENNIS COFFEY-SCORPIO!
*BEATS WILL BE ANONYMOUS AND VOTED ON VIA SOULSTRUT POLL TO SEE WHO IS "KING OF THE BEATOFF."
*WINNER WILL CHOOSE THE NEXT SONG TO SAMPLE
*I (OR YOU) WILL POST THEM ON SOUNDCLOUD BEGINNING AT THE END OF SEPTEMBER OR EARLIER. PLEASE USE MP3 OR WAV FILES PREFERABLY. SHOOT FOR 2-4 MINUTES, IF YOUR MAGNUM SCORPUS GOES OVER THAT, IT'S OK.
*I WILL SEND A REMINDER OUT IN THE DAYS BEFORE THE BEAT'S DUE TO REMIND FOOS, LET THEM KNOW ABOUT POSTING, AND WILL SEND PMs TO PARTICIPANTS
*DON'T STAMP OR NAME YOUR TRACK SOMETHING THAT TELLS PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

WHO'S IN:
Spacecho
BeatChemist
DJ_Enki
Controller_7
Dep-TDB
EkiM
bennyboy
Lumin
doom
Grandfather
Bapt
Beatsoup X
bobtheorange
StoneHands
ako
Meep
soup
Possum Tom
cove
oldnewsoul X
evolveone

Maybe:
the_dL
Dante
djwaxon

The only other thing I'd say is if strutters wanted to put money into a pot for rewarding the winning beat, we could do that too.

Comments

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    yes

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yes. Should actually finish this time!

• Fashigadale.

And I'm stoked it's Scorpio. I think it'll be fun, but I also think its going to make for good listening.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I am down.

• Dep-TDBDep-TDB 10 Posts
    I'm in.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i will be a tentative, I said yes to the last one but then got slammed at work and couldnt do it

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    the_dL said:
    i will be a tentative, I said yes to the last one but then got slammed at school and couldnt do it

• EkiMEkiM 40 Posts
    IN !

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Imma in

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Maybe

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im not going to front this time around. my studio is finally hooked up. im in.

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    IN!!

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    I am in for sure.

Can we use Gary's banjo cover of Scorpio also?

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    why not... yes!

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    I'm in!

• BeatChemist said:
    Yes. Should actually finish this time!

• In it to win it

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    COUNT ME IN DUDES

• Not in. :( ,Forat still has the 3000.

Good luck beatoffers!

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Sign me up again!

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    All I could find was a noisy 45 in a pile I've been meaning to get rid of but fuck it, I'm down.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i'm widdit. got a nice start on something today actually.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Are yall beatxhausted?
    The gauntlet has been thrown down sirs and madames! Where yall at!

• I started. Once again, it's hard as hell making something new out of just one song.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I started. Once again, it's hard as hell making something new out of just one song.

I haven't been able to do much except kick a few ideas around, none of which are all that good yet. I won't really have time to put in some hard work for at least another week, but I do enjoy the challenge of it, especially hearing all the creative shit that happened with the "Mardi Gras" one.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    I'd like to have a go again

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I started. Once again, it's hard as hell making something new out of just one song.

You need a dynamic effects processor. It really opens up a whole new world when you're limited like this.

• Possum Tom said:
    Controller_7 said:

You need a dynamic effects processor. It really opens up a whole new world when you're limited like this.

Yeah, listening to you and m_dejean explain yours, I realized what's possible. That's just never been my strong point. My Mardis beat had no effects or processing except for some light reverb on the crash and to carry things from one beat to the next. I'm just not a gear head and don't know my way around a MHz and whatnot, so I just have to work dry and do the little tricks I know how to do.

I might have to try something new on this one.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Controller_7 said:

my thoughts exactly...and like you im no gearhead and rarely mess with effects unless its crucial...

might be a learning experience for all of us

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    im the other way around. all possible directions to go with this is confusing. trying to come up with a concept for the track so i can limit myself...

its so easy to loose perspective on things once youve gone deep into sampling, fx, etc. you start working a day on the attack of the hihat in a fill thats only used once in the song etc.... you get the idea... haha