Does Soul Strut Have Moderators Anymore?

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited August 2012 in Strut Central
....because its time to bring the ban hammer down on a few of these dudes. if we don't have a mod maybe its time to nominate someone.

some people will argue that we should just ignore these trolls and let them do their thing. i think there is something to that, then again these trolls really sour the atmosphere around here.

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I generally don't believe in bans, limiting posts seems like it would suffice, but given the past few weeks, I have to agree it might be the only way. The place was on an upswing and now it's weighed down by crap. It does deflate. Funnily, I think the folks in question would fit in better over at Waxidermatology.

• Anto99Anto99 244 Posts
    I know I'm one of the people u are referring to. I have sent Raj an apology if I was out of line and have cut out any bullshit completely. I can understand that it must have been annoying having a new dude not blending in properly- that's fine. But seriously. I'm done . In fact, I have people trying to bait me into arguments etc and I'm not falling for it. I don't know who else you're referring to, but I honestly just want to talk about records.

• Options
    crabmongerfunk said:

if we don't have a mod maybe its time to nominate someone.

Uh oh.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    bassie said:
    . Funnily, I think the folks in question would fit in better over at Waxidermatology.

Maybe they are already there?

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Anto99 said:
    I know I'm one of the people u are referring to. I have sent Raj an apology if I was out of line and have cut out any bullshit completely. I can understand that it must have been annoying having a new dude not blending in properly- that's fine. But seriously. I'm done . In fact, I have people trying to bait me into arguments etc and I'm not falling for it. I don't know who else you're referring to, but I honestly just want to talk about records.

Dude, part of the problem is that you just don't know when to shut up. I mean, you started a whole thread that basically showed how asshurt a noob you are--a complete facepalm thread from the get go.

That said, if you're committed to quality over quantity, I think you should stay. Please prove yourself by NOT responding to this post. Bassie is known for being in the anti-ban camp, so if she's calling for it, you know it's bad.

As for Crab's call to nominate mods, I nominate Crab! Dude is a quality contributor, level-headed, and does NOT tolerate trolls. It's just what the strut needs imo.

parallax

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    U fucks got rid of the moderatters and now bitches can go for 2 weeks fuckin shit up.
    U bitches are soft. Dont let these fuckers back into the bar. Shut shit down.
    And i bet the 'let freedom reign' bitches who wanted a no moderhatter system are now over at Wack-A-Dermatologist.
    And u soft batches voted for the last moderhatter for dudes and bitches u LIKED instead of folks who are on regularly and see what the fuck is going on and aint afraid to hurt YOUR and the dummies feelings.
    Shit is a wrap by now.
    This beat contest could really increase traffic and bring in new cats along w/ goofballs that dont know how to socialize here.
    Cutting wack fuckers off is not gonna change your wallet or lose a 'new' friend.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    U fucks got rid of the moderatters and now bitches can go for 2 weeks fuckin shit up.
    U bitches are soft. Dont let these fuckers back into the bar. Shut shit down.
    And i bet the 'let freedom reign' bitches who wanted a no moderhatter system are now over at Wack-A-Dermatologist.
    And u soft batches voted for the last moderhatter for dudes and bitches u LIKED instead of folks who are on regularly and see what the fuck is going on and aint afraid to hurt YOUR and the dummies feelings.
    Shit is a wrap by now.
    This beat contest could really increase traffic and bring in new cats along w/ goofballs that dont know how to socialize here.
    Cutting wack fuckers off is not gonna change your wallet or lose a 'new' friend.

yes!

• I presume that most contributors here are from democratic countries with a free (if not biased) press, freedom of speech, and have the right to self-determination even if that may well lead to being a glib pseudo-analyst of many subjects. The whole spirit of a 'forum' is where people can gather to discuss their views and opine on topics proposed by others. As is, I think, the spirit of the Internet or at the very least of the Internet Age.

I will always defend a person's right to humiliate, embarrass, and expose themselves for what they are. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean they should be banned for expressing their opinion however wrong it may be. Rather, is it not more enjoyable to open their eyes with skillful argument? Stubborn as many people can be on subjects close to human culture like the arts, religion, and politics, I find it an amusing and enjoyable exercise in argument to tease out contradictions and inflict reason supported by impartial facts.

Now I will agree that one can be annoyed by side factors such as bumping posts for their own sake and excessive replies and for ignoring forum etiquette. But that still would not rise to the point of banning someone. Nor do I agree in censoring post content. Let the spotlight shine on their on bigotry, stupidity, and ignorance. We all like a trainwreck. Just sit back and enjoy the show. I won't digress into why muting people is historically a bad thing because I think to the well informed and educated here the reasons are self-evident and form the foundation upon which the countries (I presume) we all live in.

In other words, say what you want man and don't ever apologize for it. To write or say something reveals how you think. And if you have to apologize for what you think then you are guilty of a worse thing, personal dishonesty. Learn to articulate your points better. To me that shows intellectual maturity and that will garner respect even in the face of disagreement. And as most men know, Respect, is far more important than being liked.

The proponents of banning no matter what reasons they espouse are guilty of shutting the door instead of confronting the challenger. You don't have to read their posts or reply to them. You can choose to ignore them. The really bad 'trolls' just want attention. Just like children and dumb hot chicks. Treat them as such. But don't capitulate and have them degrade your morality by silencing their voice. Besides these annoying people will just come back under a new pseudonym and lurk until the right opportunity comes up to pounce. Confront and reason or just ignore. This seems to me to be the honorable strategy.

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    Since I mostly lurk here I'm a little embarrassed to offer input in a thread like this but I have to say: Soulstrut needs some mechanism to deal with this kind of bulls**t. I don't know if you would call it trolling or the internet equivalent of asperger syndrome, but every several months a new poster comes along and just spews a million garbage posts and makes everyone cranky and disinterested.
    If banning is not the solution then there must be some other mechanism to prevent this. What if new members were only allowed one post per day until 100 posts, then 2 posts until 50 more, etc. Something tells me the Bearclaws of the internet would lose interest in Soulstrut if they had to express themselves in a concise and coherent manner.

• I say Ban. It's not the worst thing in someone's life to not be allowed to post anymore. I don't get the feeling that we owe them something. If someone contributes, but people just dont like them then that's different. If everyone is annoyed by someone and nobody can think of one positive contribution, ban them. As mentioned, if they really want to be here then they'll find a way back.

Or please bring back the one post per day thing.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I say Ban. It's not the worst thing in someone's life to not be allowed to post anymore. I don't get the feeling that we owe them something. If someone contributes, but people just dont like them then that's different. If everyone is annoyed by someone and nobody can think of one positive contribution, ban them. As mentioned, if they really want to be here then they'll find a way back.

Or please bring back the one post per day thing.

I don't think people understood the ban hammer thread, but yeah. This isn't a democracy this is a message board owned by an individual with a core community of people who have been here for years. I don't agree with the "free speech" argument when we're basically guests here.

We need some kind of regulating no question. I don't think Anto99 should be banned, but dude posted almost 150 times in 4 days! That's gotta be some kind of record. Just tone it down or consolidate your tl;dr posts.

Stinkie/Bear Claw/same dude (?) need a time out.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'd like a script running that once Raj put a user on the shit list. Every posts from that user would be a cat photo instead of their nonsense.

Raj, even make it that once you put them on the list, that a user can donate a buck to the site to pick the photo.

I'd spend good $$$.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    batmon said:
    U fucks got rid of the moderatters

When did this happen?

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Soul Zilla said:

Rather, is it not more enjoyable to open their eyes with skillful argument? Stubborn as many people can be on subjects close to human culture like the arts, religion, and politics, I find it an amusing and enjoyable exercise in argument to tease out contradictions and inflict reason supported by impartial facts.

I would agree, but for the fact that no-one can recall one single episode where anyone on here, or any other forum for that matter, ever changed their opinion about anything, ever.

B/w

Batmod!
    //shudder// there would be carnage up in this bith.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    This is obviously another of Batmon's attempts to become a moderator.

Just playing.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    Just an idea but maybe using the ignore feature would help people through such troubling times.

thymebomb = moelarryandjesus, frankie meltzer etc.... guy has been banned a number of times and keeps coming back.

http://soulstrutbannedme.blogspot.com/2009/08/sklute-is-quite-simply-liar-post-reply.html
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/71238/
    http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/72085/

motherfuckers like this suck the air out of the room and drive many cool people away.

Nobody has a god given right to post here, or on any website.

Let's recognise that Music boards are fragile right now, and have been so for some while.

In past days, greater vibrancy meant that the occasional troll or socially awkward interloper got swept away in the torrent of traffic, and most often provided a welcome dose of real life intrusion where some cathartic clon and flame could be exercised.

There's a hiatus going on right now, boards have been around for a generation more or less, subject matter has been mined ferociously and maybe, just maybe, 'peak post' has been reached.

The result is a wide spread ennui; Boards have become mono-cultural enclaves which roll down ever decreasing circles, regurgitating past glories or the same themes, increasingly tetchy about new blood or out-of-kilter opinions.
    There's a good case for believing that there is no worthwhile new blood out there; it's 2012, you'd think that anyone with interest and the need to express opinion would have found boards like this by now.

Soulstrut seems more eclectic, less inclined to converge on a single obsession or operating mode than certain other boards.
    It follows that casual oddballs with a lesser knowledge base might be attracted here rather than waxi or vg+ for example.

It seems clear that these newer dudes have 'issues' - maybe psychological, maybe medical, probably all syndromic or certainly somewhere north of 'normal' on the autistic spectrum ( we are all on it somewhere, btw).

In the week when the Paralympics starts, should we not be a little more rehab oriented, rather than punitive? Cf the Breivik case. I am opposed to the death penalty in all its forms, including Internet Siberia,

And finally, ask not what SS can do for you etc etc, so put up some challenging, provocative, joyful, or just plain random threads to drown out the chaff.

Alternatively, Batmod for block captain and let's waste some muthas.

WE CAN DO THIS

• skel said:
    Let's recognise that Music boards are fragile right now, and have been so for some while.

In past days, greater vibrancy meant that the occasional troll or socially awkward interloper got swept away in the torrent of traffic, and most often provided a welcome dose of real life intrusion where some cathartic clon and flame could be exercised.

There's a hiatus going on right now, boards have been around for a generation more or less, subject matter has been mined ferociously and maybe, just maybe, 'peak post' has been reached.

The result is a wide spread ennui; Boards have become mono-cultural enclaves which roll down ever decreasing circles, regurgitating past glories or the same themes, increasingly tetchy about new blood or out-of-kilter opinions.
    There's a good case for believing that there is no worthwhile new blood out there; it's 2012, you'd think that anyone with interest and the need to express opinion would have found boards like this by now.

Soulstrut seems more eclectic, less inclined to converge on a single obsession or operating mode than certain other boards.
    It follows that casual oddballs with a lesser knowledge base might be attracted here rather than waxi or vg+ for example.

It seems clear that these newer dudes have 'issues' - maybe psychological, maybe medical, probably all syndromic or certainly somewhere north of 'normal' on the autistic spectrum ( we are all on it somewhere, btw).

In the week when the Paralympics starts, should we not be a little more rehab oriented, rather than punitive? Cf the Breivik case. I am opposed to the death penalty in all its forms, including Internet Siberia,

And finally, ask not what SS can do for you etc etc, so put up some challenging, provocative, joyful, or just plain random threads to drown out the chaff.

Alternatively, Batmod for block captain and let's waste some muthas.

WE CAN DO THIS

Nothing to see here folks. Nothing new under the Sun in 2012. All arguments have been vetted; people should not be executed for killing others in cases where their guilt is absolutely certain. Not sure what direction that post was going but I am sure that the author thinks that we are out of ideas.

Meanwhile, in my city, in our newspaper an article appears (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/08/26/3479641/wake-forests-power-felt-a-hot.html) where university researchers have applied knowledge to develop electronic devices to harness human or ecological body heat in order to power the devices that continue the progress of humanity. And we just lost the first man that escaped Earth's gravity to land on another part of the solar system, the Moon (Neil Armstrong).

Earlier in the week we were able to watch the planned, safe landing of an expensive and important probe of Mars called Curiosity, in HD, I might add. Also, Ant colony behavior has now been linked and mirrored to the protocols painstakingly discovered that now form the the backbone of the Internet that we all use and in some cases abuse, in studies conducted by institutes of higher learning in previous years (http://engineering.stanford.edu/news/stanford-biologist-computer-scientist-discover-anternet).

Skel, one thing I'm sure of is that there will not be a poverty of thought in our lifetime, although in my youth I began to think we were out of big ideas and then I started to read and investigate earlier thought and philosophy of the ancient Greeks and latter intellectuals throughout history that tackled the big ideas without benefit of the tools and knowledge we now have. How close they came and indeed how right there conclusions are nowadays in context of the standard model of physics (they don't contradict). Indeed, it is now the consensus that there are some things that we can't know. Ever. Based on chemical laws and biological architecture nevermind abstract thought. Our minds, however great they are, at the core are incapable of grasping the true grandeur of the cosmos.

Towards that end but on the questions of making a better future for mankind in the areas of sustainable energy, healthcare, and general hereditary biological knowledge, we find ourselves only at the frontier. You may remark that all this may be true excluding music and obscure records and I will have to agree that in that sense there is nothing new under the sun. And, please, carry on with the funk or soul or jazz...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Soul Zilla said:
    . And we just lost the first man that escaped Earth's gravity ..

Is this technically true doe?

The moon does not escape Earth's gravity, and therefore Armstrong did not.

Indeed, is there any part of the universe that escapes Earth's gravity?

Speak on it, soul Zilla philosopher, please.

• skel said:
    Soul Zilla said:
    . And we just lost the first man that escaped Earth's gravity ..

Is this technically true doe?

The moon does not escape Earth's gravity, and therefore Armstrong did not.

Indeed, is there any part of the universe that escapes Earth's gravity?

Speak on it, soul Zilla philosopher, please.

Really Skel? Really? You must self-discredit? Someone I dare say I respect?

I'm about to retire to bed after a bender but somehow I still find the energy to respond. Please; I really thought that I should like you. Having read a sample of your posts.

Oh, well here we go. Escape Velocity, quoting from merrian webster online dictionary, ": the minimum velocity that a moving body (as a rocket) must have to escape from the gravitational field of a celestial body (as the earth) and move outward into space" (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escape velocity).

Armstrong was a passenger on a rocket that achieved escape velocity. He and others overcame gravitational fields produced by, yes, the Earth, to propel themselves toward the Moon and history. And as a point of fact he and others overcame the gravitational field of the Moon (one sixth of the Earth) to set them back on a course towards their home where 43 years later a smug keyboard fact-neglecter would falsely call out. Really Skel? You came off to me as an intelligent and articulate man (presumably from England) that deserves respect. But ever since I started posting I get this distrustful, skeptical, and arrogant vibe from you. Is this warranted?

Oh yeah, here is the easy reference on escape velocity via wikipedia that accurately describes the education on this matter I received in 1996.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escape_velocity

Best Regards,
    Soul_Zilla.

Please I'd rather be friends than enemies. But first impressions mean a lot to me brother. If you want to stay friendly either dispute and refute or accept me.

::callbullshit::

At the risk of being disrespected by you, I believe he didn't escape the Earth's gravitation, since he remained within the scope of a whole system contained within Earth's control.

Much like we're under the influence right now of the three new poasters, even though this is a thread started by the Crab and now contains a dialogue seemingly disentangled from their malodorous reach.

• skel said:
    I believe he didn't escape the Earth's gravitation, since he remained within the scope of a whole system contained within Earth's control.

You mean the Sun's control, right? Because we say the Solar System not the Earth'er System. This is comical. Ha Ha. You must be joking and pulling my leg. This was unexpected.

You caught me off guard, because I thought the last post conclusively and unambiguously made the case. I appeal to the Soul Strut Audience who is on the right side of this. Please make your views known in the replies. No further comment is necessary from me. *Hint, Hint* Skel* *The Damage is Done* Don't Further IT! You are Warned!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cipher alert.

Racquel Welch has indeed escaped Earth's gravity.

Stinkie is someone who has posted here under a different name and has decided now, after signing up that name 7 years ago, to be a "contributor"...this doesn't smell right.

Breakz is dead.....collecting 90% of the soul/funk vinyl out there is dead.......those who continue to collect records have moved on to a much wider variety of sounds...Waxidermy embraces those sounds.....good and bad.... this place never has.

Politics, or a lack thereof has killed this board as much as anything....pre-2008 Election this place was a hot bed of posting....both in support of and in denial that a black man could ever be elected President.....multiple threads with 100's of posts....on a daily basis....there was a passion that could be felt by even those who didn't participate.....6 months after the election you couldn't find any mention of Obama and here we are 90 days from an election and not a peep. It's almost like we made it to the top of the mountain and didn't really like what we saw when we got there and now don't really care. Chances are many of these people never really cared about politics to begin with and were on a bandwagon which has run off the road into a ditch. Even though some folks don't care for political threads they once were indeed a big part of SS.

I've read that most marriages last 7 years because that's the point when you no longer have anything new to say and you get tired of your spouse.....how long has SS been around?

• Obama killed Soulstrut

jmjmjmjm said:
    Obama killed Soulstrut

And folks like you who have been here 2 years and have 9 posts........posters keep a site alive, not readers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Waxidermy sucks. And if you aren't into braeks (excusable) to the point of dissing the mere idea of them (inexcusable), you suck too.

HarveyCanal said:
    Waxidermy sucks. And if you aren't into braeks (excusable) to the point of dissing the mere idea of them (inexcusable), you suck too.

I'm into records....hunting for them....buying them....listening to them....selling them.....and I'll go anyplace like-minded people want to discuss them.....if they talk about current events, sports, etc. even better........every place you go is going to have solid folks and assholes....IRL and online.

No doubt it's ground zero in the Peruvian nose flute game.