breaking bad season 5 ...lets smoke some glass

Comments

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    The beginning shot seemed so random and I forgot about it, but then it came back on some major Oops.

Chekhov's tarantula. I thought they were going to torture Lydia with it.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    I'm in the empire business!

The beginning shot seemed so random and I forgot about it, but then it came back on some major Oops. Train sequence was pretty cool. This show is great, but these are some bumbling fools pulling of heists of the century style shit. At the beginning of the show, Jessie was basically Jamie Kennedy from Malibu's Most Wanted. I love this show, but these dudes need to slip up a little. Something.

I hear that, it's become some heist style stuff, a bit too hollywood, what with the giant magnet previously, and the train in this episode. Its missing a bit of grit in a way. Wasn't expecting the kid to get shot - from the opening scene I assumed he'd be watching from some distance away.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    MF Bill Burr!

• granjerogranjero 147 Posts
    Kind of a waste of an episode. Way too many things going well for these chumps. Walt's flossing has to be part of his downfall. And as for popping a couple of bugs into Hanks office.. very cool but ultimately suicidal.
    Listen to me, I'm quite the Misstra Knowitall when it comes to this kind of thing.
    Plus, it was bothering me that the Methylamine they jacked would be contaminated by dirt. Like, really bothering me.
    Jesse's new schtick going "Guys, wait up how about THIS" is cornball.
    Still watching avidly though.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    granjero said:

Plus, it was bothering me that the Methylamine they jacked would be contaminated by dirt. Like, really bothering me.
    Still watching avidly though.

Yeah first the evidence room with the magnets and then pulling of that train heist is o.t.t. - plus planting bugs in hanks office with his fingerprints all over them is crazy and way too risky for Walts' usual careful approach.Still really enjoyed the episode. Felt bad for jessie when the kid got shot at the end.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    seeing bill burr again made the episode.... "either one of you guys know anything about engines? Of course you do, that's why they call you an engineer"

another great cold open after a dud last week.

todd waving to the kid right before ending him was amazing, my new favorite character.

i think walt is getting alot of wins so his big loss is that much heavier. the bugs in hanks office have to come back into play, finger prints everywhere.

the fact that lydia isnt dead anyways is beyond me, she has to die sometime soon.

3 more, i dont think i can handle the next off season.

• 2 pack Heisenberg Blue Glass Candy on ETSY

i'm not NOT thinking about getting some.

• lamaslamas 39 Posts
    remind me how they knew exactly which car on the train had the methylamine? and they just lucked out that this car was right over the bridge when the train was stopped?

why no talk of Walt's watch, the Steve McQueen Tag Heuer? McQueen died of lung cancer. anyone think the watch has been bugged by Jesse?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    lamas said:
    remind me how they knew exactly which car on the train had the methylamine? and they just lucked out that this car was right over the bridge when the train was stopped?

1) Homegirl sent them the manifest of the train when it left the station.

2) Yeah, pretty much. They had that scene of Jesse measuring the distance from the crossing where Bill Burr was going to block the train to the bridge, but I don't think there was ever anything to the effect of, "The car we want is going to be right on this bridge," just more, "This'll be close enough for us to get it done."

• not a very good episode. in fact, the last three have kind of sucked. i sure hope this show doesn;t turn into another fuking 'weeds'. these wacky capers and the whole skyler sub-plot are really weighing the show this season.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    not a very good episode. in fact, the last three have kind of sucked. i sure hope this show doesn;t turn into another fuking 'weeds'. these wacky capers and the whole skyler sub-plot are really weighing the show this season.

Apples and Oranges

Weeds is a quirky comedy that jumped the shark near the end of season 1

Breaking Bad is more a drama than comedy with an involved storyline that is getting more grandiose as Walt's pushes himself into a more grandiose place in his world ("I'm in the empire business"). I totally accept that at this point in his career he would go as grand as a train robbery although I think it would be more believable if he had hired people to do the actual robbery vs being out in the field himself along with Mike. I can't imagine Fring running his own capers that way.

I do see the fingerprints in the office being a potential downfall, as far as this season goes things are running too well and it's not in the shows characters to keep things running flawlessly, especially when Walts ego gets in the way of common sense. I expect the death of the kid to play a big part in unraveling a high-functioning Jesse as well leaving the last 3 episodes of the season to deal with turmoil that will ultimately lead Walt to make a very stupid move and a cliffhanger to lead into the back 8 episodes of the series.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    But it's already been pointed out to Walt (and us) that Fring never had the need to entertain the kind of recklessness Walt, Jesse and (grudgingly) Mike are now engaging in. He was patient and careful, and - unlike Walt - had a long-established network of criminal contacts to call upon in these situations. As we're beginning to see now he's calling the shots, Walt lacks any sort of eye for the long game, and his hubristic pride is even blinding him to the common-sense necessity of buying the silence of Mike's guys. His story throughout is one long succession of bad choices; the key difference between old Walt and Heisenberg being that old Walt constantly worried about the possible consequences of those choices. I see Skyler as having become the voice of old Walt to an extent. She's become utterly trapped by her choices, and the only thing she has that even resembles an exit strategy is the hope that Walt's cancer will return.

I'm looking forward to see how long it takes for Hank to begin putting the pieces together, now he's behind a desk and away from whatever's prevented him from giving any serious thought to whether or not Walt might be connected to any of this. When he eventually does, as he surely has to, the realisation that his convalescence was bankrolled by drug money will be the least of his worries. He's the most obviously moral character in the show, so it's going to be fascinating to see how he deals with whatever's in store for him.

• dollar_bin said:

Can you explain the Chekhov reference? Also, does that tarantula symbolize something more? Walt and the gang's inevitable imprisonment?

PS: I laughed at this:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    hogginthefogg said:
    dollar_bin said:

Can you explain the Chekhov reference?

Chekhov's gun: If a gun is shown in the first act, it better be used to shoot somebody in the third act.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    jdeez said:
    MF Bill Burr!

I was really convinced this was Despot for a while.

• Who do Jesse Pinkman and Thes One have in common? They were both contestants on The Price is Right.

• hahaha thats awesome. theres a funnyass youtube video of jesse on the show, whiling out

i caught up on eps 3,4,5 last night and i gotta say it was a little too much. im gonna stick to one a week. every scene,, whether caper or dialog was gut wrenching, where i thought walt would say or do some stupid shit or that skyler would spill the beans to hank, etc. my stomach was in knots and it was giving me the jitter-farts.
    i hated walt buying the muscle cars. how stupid can you be? hes jeopardizing shit right now and walking a tight rope over Hank's lion cage. dude hank is a sharp motherfucker.... i knew he was going to spot that mismatched shoe shit. so anyway, the fact that i was real annoyed with Walt must mean that i still want him to not get caught...which is odd since he's such a complete scumbag

very interested to see how jesse deals with the collateral damage from the robbery. sucks for him cause he was getting almost light hearted and happy with life. now walt manipulates him into breaking with andrea and the biker kid gets killed. dark days ahead

and what about the tarantula?

• Yeah the kid getting shot was rather the curve ball! Things are going too well for the group at the moment which only entices me into watching more wanting to know how and when (not if) the shit hits the fan and boiling point is reached...

One thing that confuses me is that in the previous episode right at the end, Walt goes to bed leaving Skyler chain smoking in the living room, the picture shows Walt's watch face on the night stand as the hands reach 0, then just as the crescendoing watch ticking gets to its' loudest I could have sworn I heard a gun being cocked? Then no mention was made at all during the train episode. Did anyone else notice this? Or am I going crazy?!

• yeah i think that was stylistic/symbol more than any plot device
    but is the watch walt's time running out or walt about to blow the fuck up like a ticking time bomb?

man, they barely pulled off that train heist, but they were home free. then they crush everything with tarantula kid. total emotional rollercoaster

• The little Muscle car buying scene was cheap and way below the show's high standards.

• agreed

• badder_than_evil said:
    The little Muscle car buying scene was cheap and way below the show's high standards.

With lease rates the way they are these days, it's really an attractive option. - Walt

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    disagree with most negativity here. loving the descent into over the top criminal enterprise. loving the stylized direction, by Johnson and whoever else has directed eps this season. loving walts turn into a criminal sociopath. if you prefer the first 2 seasons of this show to the last 2, we have drastically different tastes. this show has gotten better every single season.

the only quibbles i have are with a) dubstep montage and b) overacting lady.

i, for one, hope Walt gets away scot-free at the end of the series, but i think we all know that aint happenin'. gotta go out like Scarface, no?

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    last nights cold open was incredible

jesse in the white home was great

saul stays killing it

i'm done watching the "next week" stuff

• c7, somewhere deep down i think i want walt to get away clean, but the more rational side of me wants him to die quick with little collateral damage. definitely rooting for jesse to break free of his manipulations and disastrous direction. at this point every word he says makes my skin crawl.

the jesse white family dinner was amazing. definitely was NOT expecting that to go down. poor jesse, haha. holding shit down wiht the scabby small talk.
    still trying to figure out Tod and the tarantula significance.
    noose is tightening on everyone and walt doesnt give a fuck...just trying to make sure his name rings out in the streets.

this season has been a little skimpy on saul screen time. booo!!

• My take on Todd and the tirantula was twofold:

He's pissed at them and will use the spider on some whimpering "fuck you guys" steez.

I also got the feeling that he's just a dumb kid and was looking at it like "oooooh, cool! A spider!"

• ...A dumb kid who is going to fuck things up for them.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• mylatency said:

That was good.