Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff ***BEATS NOW POSTED PG. 10!!!!!

Comments

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Soundcloud idea is great! We should keep all submissions private until the deadline. Then make em all public and let the listening party begin!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    this is some shit.

And could we vote on the next breakbeat for cats to flip?

Five Minutes Of Funk plaese......

batmon said:
    this is some shit.

And could we vote on the next breakbeat for cats to flip?

Five Minutes Of Funk plaese......

Take that shit to the Stones Throw Messageboard...

hahahahah

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    m_dejean said:
    McDoom! Bapt!

Two thumbs up to the Mardi Gras beatoff.
    +1 in favour of the idea of anonymous presentation of the contributions.
    Wish I could participate myself, but I'm too busy with my 3 month old daughter right now.

big up homie, u got your hands full at the moment bro, all the best to you and your fam, taking care of baby buisness

;)

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts

looks like i'll be the only one up in here repping denmark, still trying to decide on which one to sample from, tappan zee or the columbia, none of them being anywhere near mint haha

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    big up homie, u got your hands full at the moment bro, all the best to you and your fam, taking care of baby buisness

;)

Thanks. I actually started sneaking in some nighttime hours for a Mardi Gras beat. We'll see how it goes. I'm having fun anyway.

The_Non, put me on the "maybe" list...

upskiboo said:
    none of them being anywhere near mint

Cue burnt snare fill FTW

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    done. where do i send this?

• el_sparkoel_sparko 884 Posts
    Tempted to have a go at this, it looks fun. Last time I did a strut beat thing a few people said they preferred my Nas remix and Possum Tom replied by saying that he thought my drums sounded "like they were recorded in a coke can" haha.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Tempted to have a go at this, it looks fun. Last time I did a strut beat thing a few people said they preferred my Nas remix and Possum Tom replied by saying that he thought my drums sounded "like they were recorded in a coke can" haha.[/quote

that must have hurt your feelings. what was that? like... 7 years ago? do that shit, dude. who cares what i think.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    I cannot wait to hear all of these and to have downloads. There are some really talented dudes on here that can bang out beats with the very best in the business. Things like this "competition" along with Soul Strut 100 is what really makes this place special for me.

Kindly,
    parallax

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    Recently my laptop has died so i hope i can get this done in time..

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Pretty sure this gif was ceated years ago in preperation for this bell'd beatoff....

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Reminder that 8/11 beats are due for the beatoff! I have PM'd everyone the details for the contest, check your mail. See the first page for the guidelines, plus read the PM carefully!

• YemskyYemsky 707 Posts
    Okem said:
    I guess The_Non as he seems to be running things and it was his idea.

I thought I'd set up a soundcloud page so people can submit to that. That should keep it kinda anon.

http://soundcloud.com/mardigrasbeatcomp

I'll send the login to The_Non and he can send it out to all participants / or those who pm him when they're done.

Would it be completely inappropriate to suggest that the uploaded mixes should be downloadable?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    maybe make them available for download after the contest?

not sure if anyone cares about their beats getting jacked or not...imagine a beat jacking in a beatoff...is anyone going to care if their beats end up on some Mac Miller type ish in a year from now?

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    So what's up, do we just vote by leaving a comment on the soundcloud?

Uh, please wait til everyone has submitted their beats then I'll post it here and we'll vote on here. Thanks.

dj_cityboy said:
    not sure if anyone cares about their beats getting jacked or not...imagine a beat jacking in a beatoff...is anyone going to care if their beats end up on some Mac Miller type ish in a year from now?

I am actually only entering this competition to attract teh attention of beat jackers.

Besides, what's a beat off without a jacking?

BeatChemist said:

I am actually only entering this competition to attract teh attention of beat jackers.

good point, i guess i personally shouldnt complain either...lol

A little over a week left cowboys and girls! Fire up those machines for hot tracks of rapz and balzing downtempo and start submitting!

anyone listen to the beats submitted thus far? i was going to but i thought it would mess up my progress on what i was cooking up...

i was surprized to see only two uploaded, i figured there would be more, s'all good though loads of time still i guess! pretty stoked to hear what people come up with...

• I listened to the two already. Didn't fuck me up, just showed me how completely different these beats will be. I couldn't even figure out some of the samples in those beats. I was listening on a phone, but still. This is going to be interesting.

I have some sketches, but I'm in the last few days of my summer semester in grad school, I work full time, and our 2.5 year old has decided that sleeping in her room sucks. We've got a 6 month old too. I also have made a beat in years. I'm going to try to knock something out in the last few days, but this old man is not conditioned for this stuff these days.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Late rule proposal: All contestants must submit a picture of themselves, performing "The Smirnoff"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    mannybolone said:
    Late rule proposal: All contestants must submit a picture of themselves, performing "The Smirnoff"

:comedy_gold:

Bonus prize awarded to the Strutter who can correctly match all pictures of participants Smirnoffing with their respective entries??

I smell an avatar coming on...

Less than a week left now! Watch the 100m Dash and get pumped up to finish the bellz beats!

so hung up on this bassline yo, i had everything completed and ready to upload days ago....there is sumthin about the bassline i have now that is just weak, it needs more smirnoff or sumthin...

going to try and rework it tomorrow night

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    Damn! I haven't even started it.

To anyone who might have your track ready now, please upload it. I have a feeling there'll be a logjam at the last minute, so if it's ready now, load it up now. Thanks!

Bapt said:
    Damn! I haven't even started it.

Same. I am off for the next few days though so I'm going to get working on it tonight.