Take Me To the Mardi Gras Soulstrut Beatoff ***BEATS NOW POSTED PG. 10!!!!!

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited July 2012 in Strut Central
All this Bells talk and Yo Where My Beats at?! on here got me thinking, what if we had a good ole fashioned beatoff, a la the Sayer off we had where you could ONLY use Take Me To the Mardi Gras for a beat (NoPeterPiperRemake)? What say you bastards?

BEATS NOW POSTED ON PAGE 10!!!
*ALL BEATS DUE AUGUST 18TH, 2012, 11:59 PM PACIFIC TIME
*CAN ONLY USE TAKE ME TO THE MARDI GRAS AND/OR TAKE ME TO THE MARDI GRAS DRUMZ THAT THES POSTED
*BEATS WILL BE ANONYMOUS AND VOTED ON VIA SOULSTRUT POLL TO SEE WHO IS "KING OF THE BEATOFF."
*I (OR YOU) WILL POST THEM ON SOUNDCLOUD BEGINNING AT THE END OF JULY (31). PLEASE USE MP3 OR WAV FILES PREFERABLY. SHOOT FOR 2-4 MINUTES, IF YOUR MAGNUM BELLSOPUS GOES OVER THAT, IT'S OK.
*I WILL SEND A REMINDER OUT IN THE DAYS BEFORE THE BEAT'S DUE TO REMIND FOOS, LET THEM KNOW ABOUT POSTING, AND WILL SEND PMs TO PARTICIPANTS
*DON'T STAMP OR NAME YOUR TRACK SOMETHING THAT TELLS PEOPLE WHO YOU ARE IF AT ALL POSSIBLE.

WHO'S IN:

Controller_7
BeatChemist
Spacecho
the_dL
FortyFivan
bobtheorange
djwaxon
Dawhud
TheKindCromang
JATX
Dante
Thes
cookbook
Ulysses31nicholas
dj_cityboy
Possum Tom
StoneHands
Meep
bennyboy
Big_Stacks
z_illa
Dep-TDB
EkiM
JectWon
finelikewine
doom
Bapt
soup
upskiboo
Ray Rats

Maybes:
Okem
Duderonomy
m_dejean
kala
sticky_dojah
DJ_Coma_Toast
magpaul
cove

Comments

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    I'm in. Haven't made a beat in a long time.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yes.

I feel like this may be my chance to partake in history.

• SpacechoSpacecho 176 Posts
    I'll have a go too

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i'm in, let me know if it goes ahead

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wait, you mean the collective dick of SoulStrut isn't too raw from all the beating off to Mardi Gras already? Oh, a beat off... ah, got it. In that case, I'd be down.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I'm long retired from best making but would love to hear the results of such a beat battle. So please folksy get chopping and looping.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    Sounds like a great idea.
    I'm long retired from best making but would love to hear the results of such a beat battle. So please folksy get chopping and looping.

• I'm in.

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    In

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Bassfever (fresh new studio) & Cookbook, I'm looking at you all, access to my dusty t-shirt covered MPC60 if you guys would commit to this.

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I'm in. That sounds fresh.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Never mind. I'm potentially in depending on the timing (about to move and studio is in boxes-related).

• I'm in

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    So how about:
    August 9th (a month)
    No Peter Piper remakes
    Best beat as voted by Soulstrut poll becomes "KING OF DA SOULSTRUT BEATOFF" (perhaps with a special notation of that with an avatar or with your SS username?) until another challenge like this comes around?
    Can we sticky this? Pile in here people, need more foos makin Bells trax!

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I'm in. Can I sample from my Best of Bob James lp or does it have to be an og two? Kidding. This is going to be fun.

From the OG version or from some of the various bell-less versions, as posted in Sheeps zip.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    From the OG version or from some of the various bell-less versions, as posted in Sheeps zip.

i thought the point was using the bell-less version? otherwise it would only be a beat off with an ubiquitous break, wouldn't it? ;)??

also, i suppose it would be mandatory to use the break, but it'll be open to each participant to use other samples / elements?

i guess i could be in...

The song, not mandatory to use the breakishness. We've talked about the whole song to death, and I think there's plenty of stuff in the song to play with.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    awesome idea.
    i was going to suggest a soulstrut egg eating contest, but this seems much more relevant

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The_Non said:
    The song, not mandatory to use the breakishness. We've talked about the whole song to death, and I think there's plenty of stuff in the song to play with.

Just so I'm clear here, every single sound has to come from "Mardi Gras," right? No drum machines/808s, no synths, no replays, no other samples?

DJ_Enki said:
    The_Non said:

Just so I'm clear here, every single sound has to come from "Mardi Gras," right? No drum machines/808s, no synths, no replays, no other samples?

That's how it should be. Otherwise it's just a bunch of beats with one common sample.

Mardis Gras only. Nothing else. You throw in some 808s or some JB grunts and you're disqualified. And since it's Mardi Gras only, I say no bell-less unless you also attach a photo of you and the Italian 45 or the reel.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    lets do this! i will sleep with my two LP under the pillow tonight

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    When we did the 'Sayer Off' we had the whole of Endless Flight to pick from. Getting varied beats from one track is going to be difficult, although using the whole of Two might be too easy.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Okem said:
    When we did the 'Sayer Off' we had the whole of Endless Flight to pick from. Getting varied beats from one track is going to be difficult, although using the whole of Two might be too easy.

I disagree, it just means the most creative beat maker will win. This is going to be awesome.

Use anything else and you shall be disqualified. Also, this is the essence of teh strut. We don't just hoarde vinyls, we use them.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    fun idea. in for this.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    4YearGraduate said:
    Okem said:

I disagree, it just means the most creative beat maker will win. This is going to be awesome.

Use anything else and you shall be disqualified. Also, this is the essence of teh strut. We don't just hoarde vinyls, we use them.
    Disagree with what part?

And are we talking about using just the OG version, or are those with decent quality copies of the sans bells version allowed to use that?

I say use either Bell or Bell -Less, it is "the song." That song has a lotta different pieces to use. I was thinking maybe allowing *ONLY* outside maddrumbreakbeatraer for drums to back it *if you need to.* Vote today yay/nay. Thes, you in?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    i like this idea, i would prefer (*if i was to take part) to have it just be the one track, bell or bell-less doesnt matter....

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ideally we should all be working from the same source material, to make it a fair competition. But I'm cool with what ever the general consensus is.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    Okem said:
    4YearGraduate said:
    Okem said:

Disagree with what part?

And are we talking about using just the OG version, or are those with decent quality copies of the sans bells version allowed to use that?

I disagree with the idea that "getting varied beats from one track will be difficult". It's an exercise in creativity. I made a whole album out of 30 second-ish tv commercials because limitation inspires innovation.

I will post up a .wav of the bell-less version from the reel when I get home.

And yes, I'm in.