Frank Ocean.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    tagged in itunes as "pop" :icallbullshit:

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    tagged in itunes as "pop" :icallbullshit:

I had to re-groom that to my R&B section before I updated my iPod, haha.

Also pre-ordered teh vinyl from Amazon earlier.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    white_tea said:
    The song with John Mayer kinda has a Shuggie Otis vibe

I thought that about Sweet Life too.

(For what it's worth...)

I don't expect everyone to march in lockstep on issues like this, but let me just say that if you're going to post reductionist, dimwitted piffle like "I don't like songs about dudes sexing other dudes", in 2012, anywhere, then tough luck for your sensitivities. Don't act all surprised that you get clowned. Consider yourself lucky that clowning and similar internet pile-ons are all you have to worry about. While you're doing that, have a think about all the songs you love - even the ones that appear to be about women - which might actually be about dudes sexing other dudes, assuming that even considering such a possibility doesn't terrify you.

Also, fuck hypocritical, can't-buy-a-hit weed carriers like Lil' Scrappy who spout reactionary bullshit in one breath whilst saying he'd get on a track with Frank Ocean "like it was yesterday" in the other. I guess "principles" aren't so deeply held when you haven't had a real hit in six years.

Hi, Phill.

DocMcCoy said:
    white_tea said:
    The song with John Mayer kinda has a Shuggie Otis vibe

I thought that about Sweet Life too.

Was getting this vibe from "Sierra Leone" this morning.

On fourth listen, really feeling this. Shades of Shuggie, Stevie, Maxwell, and some shit I can't really identify (ETA: Musiq Soulchild?). Songs about girls. Songs about boys. Songs about other shit. A couple times I felt the thing meandering into nothingness but it always snaps back before I can hit FF.

I expect the one BATMON to come around shortly...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im open to hearing more. But i stand by my Jimmy Fallon debacle. Dude cant sing to me judging from that shit.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    I couldn't sit thru the Fallon performance and don't like that song on the albulum.

That said, I think this albulum is fire. Thank God he uses the pronoun "she" instead of "he" on 90% of the songs - otherwise, the songs might sound totes diff.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Consider yourself lucky that clowning and similar internet pile-ons are all you have to worry about.

lol what?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    batmon said:
    Im open to hearing more. But i stand by my Jimmy Fallon debacle. Dude cant sing to me judging from that shit.
    This is my biggest issue with him.

I love this track ft. Andre 3000 doe. The production is great, sentiment, emotion, lyrics all great, just his vocals seem kinda ordinary. tbh if Andre wasn't on it, I woulda probably gotten bored.

weird. I don't get the impression that he can't sing at all. are we watching/hearing the same shit?

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    weird. I don't get the impression that he can't sing at all. are we watching/hearing the same shit?

i mean he's no sam cooke, but his voice fits nicely with the overall product (i.e. his art).

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I like the 2 songs I heard. Like his delivery. Like his style.

I can understand someone not liking his singing. His voice is throaty, often thin, often whispery, sometimes overwrought.
    Works for me.

On the other thing, listening to Bad Religion, what I heard was Taxi Driver... Bring Me To My Knees... Bad Religion...
    Enough little snippets to know he was talking to the driver about unrequited love.
    I never heard the part where the love was male.
    I am surprised, that without listening, people would reject it for being gay.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    On my first listen now, sounds good and expect it to get better on future listens (I wasn't as floored by Nostalgia Ultra as most people when I first heard it, it took me a few listens). I'm just really glad an artist like Frank Ocean is allowed to just do his thing and stick to his vision, gives me hope for the future. Sometimes it just feels like there's going to be fewer unique voices out there.

The comparisons to Maxwell made me wonder if I should give him a serious listen finally - after all, I'm past 30 now. What album would be a good starting point?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts
    Mjukis said:

The comparisons to Maxwell made me wonder if I should give him a serious listen finally - after all, I'm past 30 now. What album would be a good starting point?

oh man. urban hang suite is certified.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

no comparison

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    [Batmon]He doesn't sing like Maxwell or Rahsann Patterson therefore he sucks.[/Batmon]

[Batmon]He doesn't sing like Maxwell or Rahsann Patterson therefore he sucks.[/Batmon]

Your getting emotional. I never said he sucks. Your jumping to conclusions.

There are suitable role players in the NBA and here are cats with next level talent.

Frank Ocean is gettin Linsanity Love on SS. But time will tell like when yall anointed The Dream as the next level.

Your getting emotional. I never said he sucks. Your jumping to conclusions.

There are suitable role players in the NBA and here are cats with next level talent.

Frank Ocean is gettin Linsanity Love on SS. But time will tell like when yall anointed The Dream as the next level.

I still fuck with the first couple The Dream records.

Nobody's anointing anything, just digging the record

I never liked The Dream. I once posted that Ryan Leslie > The Dream, but that was long before Ryan Leslie started rapping.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Nobody's anointing anything

Exactly. You're getting emotional, Batty.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    God... I am not that familiar with Maxwell's stuff... but that clip you posted Batmon... I found that soooo tepid. That's the kind of ZZZzzzzzzz r&b that I think of when I tell myself I don't really like r&b. Is that representative of his best stuff?

I liked the Fallon performance. Maybe not the best vocal performance ever - but I think Frank Ocean has something intangible that trumps the voice complaints.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    whoa now, i understand defending frank ocean but let's not front like maxwell is not the shit

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    I liked the Fallon performance. Maybe not the best vocal performance ever

My friend was there and said that Ocean was pretty nervous and not happy with his performance.

Herm said:
    I never liked The Dream. I once posted that Ryan Leslie > The Dream, but that was long before Ryan Leslie started rapping.

And where are both of those dudes?

Herm said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Nobody's anointing anything

Exactly. You're getting emotional, Batty.

Harold: Back off cock boy, what I said him goes double for you.
    J.D.: Cock boy? You just call me cock boy?
    Harold: Yeah, you know I did. You're just stalling 'cause you're not quick enough to think of a comeback.
    J.D.: You think I'm not quick enough. Guy thinks I'm not quick enough. Well I got news for you. I am quick enough... Cock boy! [raises index finger in sad attempt to flip Harold off]

Horseleech said:
    BeatChemist said:
    I liked the Fallon performance. Maybe not the best vocal performance ever

My friend was there and said that Ocean was pretty nervous and not happy with his performance.

I saw that. Fallon tells him something like, "you did great" at the end, and one can definitely see his apprehension at the beginning.

Hard song to do live... there's a bunch that I think might have come off better. Speaks well of the kid that "Bad Religion" is what he went with, though.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,095 Posts
    Not a big fan of prior stuff by Frank Ocean (love that one joint on OF2 tho - Analog 2), and I didn't think Pyramids was that special, but I enjoyed the Fallon performance, even with the corny-ass strings!

Also, The Dream is still nice:

batmon said:
    Herm said:

And where are both of those dudes?

Why are you asking ME?? I already told you I don't like The Dream and I stopped paying attention to Ryan Leslie once he started rapping.

Neither of those dudes have anything to do with Frank Ocean though.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Herm said:

Neither of those dudes have anything to do with Frank Ocean though.
    Yeah, they make actual good songs.

You dudes should try listening to artists' on their own merit(s) some time. You'll never be satisfied if you keep comparing whomever to your own idea of perfection.