Cindy Sheehan arrested

ZekeZeke 221 Posts
edited September 2005 in Strut Central
WASHINGTON Sep 26, 2005 ??? Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement, was arrested Monday while protesting outside the White House.Sheehan and several dozen other protesters sat down on the sidewalk after marching along the pedestrian walkway on Pennsylvania Avenue. Police warned them three times that they were breaking the law by failing to move along, then began making arrests.Sheehan was the first taken into custody. She stood up and was led to a police vehicle while protesters chanted, "The whole world is watching."linkApparently this happened about an hour ago.

Comments

• Post deleted by bellcity1

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Wow, the media sure likes to twist the truth...
    WASHINGTON Sep 26, 2005 ??? Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement[/b] , was arrested Monday while protesting outside the White House.

She did not start the anti-war movement. That's been going on way before we knew about her.

Yeah, it sure doesn't help depolarize this entire situation, does it?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Wow, the media sure likes to twist the truth...
    WASHINGTON Sep 26, 2005 ??? Cindy Sheehan, the California woman who has used her son's death in Iraq to spur the anti-war movement[/b] , was arrested Monday while protesting outside the White House.

She did not start the anti-war movement. That's been going on way before we knew about her.

They don't use the word "start"

Spur means something else...

• Right. Post will be edited/deleted.

Right. Post will be edited/deleted.

HA, I didn't mean to be the Definition police!

Just lettin' ya know.

Whats the law on this one?? I know there is one for something like this around the white house.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    Yeah, there are definitely loitering laws. The group was warned, there were quite a few arrests made. According to a CNN.com article, "Park Police Sgt. L.J. McNally said Sheehan and the others would be taken to a processing center where they would be fingerprinted and photographed, then given a ticket and released. The process would take several hours, he said."

• Im sure she knew that she would be arrested. I dig what sh eis doing, but she is starting to look a little Sharptonian.

• Sheehan's a tool.

She looks like she's having fun...

• She looks like she's having fun...

Publicity stunt???

• I was suprised at the rally at how much attention and praise she got. I respect and admire her dedication and opposition to the war and all, but a lot of the speakers were acting as if she was some sort of saint. There were more praises for her than anybody else, it seemed.

Not that there's anything necessarily wronnnng with that.. I just thought it was kind of weird.

• I agree. There was this stream of activists -- many of whom had lifetimes of meaningful work behind them -- fawning over Sheehan. It was like a tribute dinner/award banquet for her or something.

• She lost her fucking CHILD for god's sake. Have any of you had the same experience?

• She lost her fucking CHILD for god's sake. Have any of you had the same experience?

I didn't mean any sort of disrespect at all. All I was saying is that it seemed like Cindy Sheehan day. Which seems sort of strange at a protest that aims to dispute a war where thousands are dying. The woman definitely deserves her praise, but so do a lot of other people.

• I feel you. Sorry for the snappage...I guess can't imagine ever losing either of my children. I'd probably be in prison if I were in her situation, for doing something very BAD.

• word.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I feel you. Sorry for the snappage...I guess can't imagine ever losing either of my children. I'd probably be in prison if I were in her situation, for doing something very BAD.
    You might want to tell your children not to join the army then.

• no worries there.

So you think duty in Iraq is absolutely necessary for these young men and women, for the good of our country?

I'm sorry I can't see why the US has to be there.

• I'm sorry I can't see why the US has to be there.

Prevent a civil war?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    no, but when you enter the army, you know that if there's a combat situation, you're at risk. people in armies have been fighting and dying way before iraq. i feel bad for her loss, but parading and grandstanding the way she is, is in just as bad taste as bush using 911 to go to war in the first place.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I'm sorry I can't see why the US has to be there.

Prevent a civil war?

Yeah, seems like were doing a GREAT job with that one.

Fuck Iraq. I have no idea why the hell we're over there and Ive studied the issue quite a bit. Those dudes are free to blow eachother up all day for all i care, just bring our troops home.

• Those dudes are free to blow eachother up all day for all i care

real nice

• So you think duty in Iraq is absolutely necessary for these young men and women, for the good of our country?

No. The U.S shouldn't have invaded that country in the first place.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    no, but when you enter the army, you know that if there's a combat situation, you're at risk. people in armies have been fighting and dying way before iraq. i feel bad for her loss, but parading and grandstanding the way she is, is in just as bad taste as bush using 911 to go to war in the first place.

Sorry, but not everyone knows that joining the army will get you killed for the stupid whims of a few power-hungry idealogues. Some people still believe in military service as just that- a *service* to their country- not a disservice to their country and the world. That distinction certainly justifies protest, bad taste (?) or not.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I disagree. Her reacting to her son's loss may indeed play into other people's agendas and I believe she certainly has one of her own, but comparing her actions to Bush's LYING TO and MANIPULATING the entire population he is serving, as well as the Congress, well, that's just ludicrous.

I have my reservations about putting so much on this woman's shoulders pro or against, but in the end she is a private citizen sticking her neck out, and it depends on where you are sitting if she is stupid or courageous. Bush is an'elected' leader who is implicitly trusted with huge amounts of authority and power and serves at the pleasure of the people of the US. No comparison.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    She looks like she's thinking about the money she is going to make from her book[/b] ...

"...what a great photo my the liner notes in the dust jacket"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Sorry, but not everyone knows that joining the army will get you killed for the stupid whims of a few power-hungry idealogues. Some people still believe in military service as just that- a *service* to their country- not a disservice to their country and the world. That distinction certainly justifies protest, bad taste (?) or not.

I do agree, however, that much like domestic police officers, you have to accept the risk that you could be killed in the line of duty. That's a lot to ask 18 year olds, many of whom have few other viable options, however.

But it is def part of the job.

• no, but when you enter the army, you know that if there's a combat situation, you're at risk. people in armies have been fighting and dying way before iraq. i feel bad for her loss, but parading and grandstanding the way she is, is in just as bad taste as bush using 911 to go to war in the first place.

I do agree, however, that much like domestic police officers, you have to accept the risk that you could be killed in the line of duty. That's a lot to ask 18 year olds, many of whom have few other viable options[/b] , however.

But it is def part of the job.
    Birdman, you're really on point with your observations..Do most of you think that a lot of folks who enlist in the Armed Services would still do it if they had other options (college, employment, etc,.)? Obviously, no. The only reason that I signed up was for college money (which I do plan to use). Trust me, if I had the dough, I wouldn't even of hollared at the recruiters...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i feel bad for her loss, but parading and grandstanding the way she is, is in just as bad taste as bush using 911 to go to war in the first place.

i was'nt trying to make a similie between she and bush. I was just saying that both are in bad taste. One more than the other, obviously, but it does come off a little hypocritical to use the same "hurt child" tactics to gain support.

I'm really just trying to level the playing field a bit here. I DO NOT support the war, but I'm not ready to support whining either. If we intend to get out of iraq, and get this country back on it's feet, we have to do it with the same "resolve" as we got into it.