Where the F*%k is the 2014 NBA Thread?!?!!

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    ^^^^^^ And yet the Hawks were too much! Hawks looking tite this year. Also surprised to see Memphis lose again, to the Jazz no less - their losses to Utah and Cleveland took the edge off my enthusiasm for my Bulls beating them without Rose and Gibson on the road, an enthusiasm that nevertheless was reinvigorated after beating the Raps last night. I know the Raps weren't 100% either, so we'll just keep on keepin' on like the D Train that is D-Rose. The local announcers here are already beating the Mirotic R.O.Y. drum after the actual local product Jabari Parker went down.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Better shooter: Kevin Durant or Steph Curry?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:

Pure shooter = Curry

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    So I come back home and turn on the TV and the Lakers are up against the Warriors by 20??! WTF.

Kobe needs a few more DNPs man......

DJ_Enki said:

Kyle Korver.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Josh Smith to Houston is significant.

batmon said:

How so?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:

HORRIBLE! He's going to a team that loves shooting threes and he can't shoot 'em

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    motown67 said:
    batmon said:

HORRIBLE! He's going to a team that loves shooting threes and he can't shoot 'em

Oh, he loves shooting threes, too. And he definitely will shoot 'em. A lot of 'em. He just won't make 'em. As a Spurs fan, I am quite pleased with the the Smith signing.

smdh at Statefarm.

LOL

• hai guyz!

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    If you throw a punch, make sure it connects at least. Basketball needs to step up the mid-game fight entertainment if they want to compete with hockey or "football".

• 9-2 vs. the western conference. (blazers and warriors next though)

vintageinfants said:
    9-2 vs. the western conference. (blazers and warriors next though)

OKC w/out Durant
    Utah Jazz
    [strong]Memphis Grizzlies[/strong]
    Phoenix Suns
    Dallas Mavs - L
    LA Lakers - L
    SAC Kings
    Utah Jazz
    LA Clippers
    Denver Nuggets

Toronto without Derozan as well though.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I think the Thunder have lost their mojo.
    Durant wont magically fix it any more than LeBron magically fixed Cleveland.

Blazers beat them without Batum or Lopez.

Western teams have to do this Texas Trip, SA, HOU, DFW, OKC + either Memphis or NO. Losses are a guarantee. Toronto does not have that trip on their schedule.

One team that's definitely lost their mojo are the Clippers. Their offense hasn't changed in the last couple years. Two-man game, CP3 dribbling all over the place. Blake Griffin forcing up shots. D'Andre Jordan getting his oops. and Jamal Crawford playing 21.

I've never seen the refs try so hard to give the win to the road team.
    Raptors just didn't want it.

Seriously though, Raptors looked great, definitely the real deal.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:
    One team that's definitely lost their mojo are the Clippers. Their offense hasn't changed in the last couple years. Two-man game, CP3 dribbling all over the place. Blake Griffin forcing up shots. D'Andre Jordan getting his oops. and Jamal Crawford playing 21.

The Clips will be unable to execute effectively enough (on offense or defense) to win a title. The same goes for Houston, Portland, Golden State, Toronto, Washington, [insert any high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition], etc. The only 3 legitimate finals contenders right now are San Antonio, Chicago (with a healthy Derrick Rose), and Memphis because they are solid at both ends of the court. Some of those other squads will have shots at the title with more focus on solid execution at both ends.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yuichi said:

The Clips will be unable to execute effectively enough (on offense or defense) to win a title. The same goes for Houston, Portland, Golden State, Toronto, Washington, [insert any high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition], etc. The only 3 legitimate finals contenders right now are San Antonio, Chicago (with a healthy Derrick Rose), and Memphis because they are solid at both ends of the court. Some of those other squads will have shots at the title with more focus on solid execution at both ends.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Real Tawk

yuichi said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I agree with you that Portland is not ready for a title.
    But "high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition" does not describe Portland.
    How bout, 3 sinking, young squad, with potent half court play, who can hurt you inside and out?
    I've seen a little of Houston and Toronto this year. Neither has a mediocre half court.

My prediction is, the 2 teams who are the healthiest at play off time will be in the championship.
    SAS will have to start playing better than .500 ball if they want to be in the playoffs.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    yuichi said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I agree with you that Portland is not ready for a title.
    But "high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition" does not describe Portland.
    How bout, 3 sinking, young squad, with potent half court play, who can hurt you inside and out?
    I've seen a little of Houston and Toronto this year. Neither has a mediocre half court.

My prediction is, the 2 teams who are the healthiest at play off time will be in the championship.
    SAS will have to start playing better than .500 ball if they want to be in the playoffs.

Hey LaserWolf,

I like Portland, but they settle for jump shots on offense too much. LA needs to get his big ass on the block, punish defenses, and get on the line more. Doing so will open up the perimeter for Lillard, Batum, and company to hit jumpers or dribble, drive, and dish. So, I think their halfcourt play could be improved to better their chances for the chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

True that.

LaserWolf said:
    True that.

Yeah, I think Aldridge could be a great if he'd get meaner! Like Popovich said, "I want some nasty!" He could get on the line 20 times a game if he went strong inside and cut down on the 18-footers. Oh well, he's just too laid back as a big man, given his wealth of offensive talents and size.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• The same goes for Houston, Portland, Golden State, Toronto, Washington, [insert any high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition], etc. The only 3 legitimate finals contenders right now are San Antonio, Chicago (with a healthy Derrick Rose), and Memphis because they are solid at both ends of the court. Some of those other squads will have shots at the title with more focus on solid execution at both ends.

this doesn't really describe Golden State either, who beat the Bulls recently with Rose in the lineup. They've been really good in the half court this year, ball movement has greatly improved under Kerr and Thompson has gotten much better creating off the dribble. When everyone on that squad is clicking, they are very very tough to beat. Happy for y'all to keep sleeping though...

at the same time without Bogut they are really not the same. Gotta keep that guy healthy.

The same goes for Houston, Portland, Golden State, Toronto, Washington, [insert any high-flying, newjack squad with mediocre halfcourt play who score best in transition], etc. The only 3 legitimate finals contenders right now are San Antonio, Chicago (with a healthy Derrick Rose), and Memphis because they are solid at both ends of the court. Some of those other squads will have shots at the title with more focus on solid execution at both ends.

this doesn't really describe Golden State either, who beat the Bulls recently with Rose in the lineup. They've been really good in the half court this year, ball movement has greatly improved under Kerr and Thompson has gotten much better creating off the dribble. When everyone on that squad is clicking, they are very very tough to beat. Happy for y'all to keep sleeping though...

at the same time without Bogut they are really not the same. Gotta keep that guy healthy.

Hey Jonny,

True, but they do commit turnovers and have bad offensive possessions at times. This is fine during the regular session, but it will cost them games (and maybe a series) deep in the playoffs against top teams that can exploit their mistakes. Steve Kerr voiced this concern himself during an interview on NBA-TV the other night. I think they're a very good team but they need to take better care of the ball to beat the elite teams at playoff time. Finally, without Bogut in the post, they have no chance at the chip.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

yuichi said:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Real Tawk

Hey Batmon,

The same thing happens every year! People get taken in by the high-flying, transition basket highlights on Sports Center and prematurely coronate such teams as possible Finals contenders. Then, these teams get exposed during the playoffs against the top teams that can play defense, execute well offensively, and force the 'highlights' teams to play in the half court. At the end of the day, teams that play solid basketball at both ends of the floor win the chip. Unfortunately, good half court execution usually doesn't make the Sports Center highlights.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I'm still not convinced by Memphis. Teams have been able to break their defense in the playoffs in the past and they've proven not to be able to keep up on the offensive end when that happens.