syria

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Hey, if you choose to ignore 50-eleven thousand news reports from the last couple weeks addressing how the White House is trying all they can to work around Congress on this, then how are we going to convince you?

You're forgetting the fact that Obama never had to ask for Congressional approval of any strike to begin with.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    Hey, if you choose to ignore 50-eleven thousand news reports from the last couple weeks addressing how the White House is trying all they can to work around Congress on this, then how are we going to convince you?

where are these reports? Seriously how is Obama "working around Congress on this?" By asking for Congress' approval to carry out airstrikes? I don't get it.

this idea that Obama wants to bomb -- and will do whatever it takes to do it -- is not only wrong, it's actually *backwards.* I see a president who has been reluctant for 2 yrs to get involved in Syria, was shamed into action by massive civilian suffering, but who has nonetheless found a way to continue to avoid getting involved while saving face: by dishing the ball to a reluctant congress.

Harvey also seems to forget the fact that Obama could have easily worked around Congress and go ahead with the strike against Syria anyway, because that's exactly what he did in Libya. That's right: Obama went to war with Libya without Congressional approval.

Yet Obama CHOSE to ask Congress for permission now. Not only that, he even indefinitely POSTPONED that vote now.

HarveyCanal said:
    But what's going on now is exactly what me and all my crazies who pay attention to Bilderberg members when they speak/write have been saying is going to happen for over a year now. They took down Gaddafi and now they're aiming for Assad with 5 other nations in the Middle East/Northern Africa to follow. This isn't just a reaction by the US to a humanitarian concern over chemical weapons that the US produced in the first place. This shit has been planned for quite some time. Sheesh.

Please prove a single thing you've said about Syria.

You said that Syria got all its chemical weapons from the U.S. Please prove that. I bet you ten to one that Syria got almost all its chemical stockpiles and equipment from Europe.

You said that Al Qaeda is America's proxies in Syria. Please prove that the U.S. is providing aid to or using Al Qaeda in the fight in Syria.

You've said that the U.S. is running a covert war in Syria. Please google the fuck out of that and tell me exactly what the U.S. has provided Syria's rebels and who it is going to. Here I'll even make it easy for you. Here are the main Syrian rebel groups.

Free Syrian Army - secular Sunni group. Is loose confederation of militia leaders now organized under the Supreme Military Council (SMC)

Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant/Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham - Al Qaeda in Iraq

Nusra Front - domestic Syrian Islamist party

Democratic Union Party (PYD) - is main Kurdish party. Off shoot of Turkey's Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)

Kurdish National Council (KNC) - smaller Kurdish coalition created by Iraq's Kurds

Please tell me all the equipment that the U.S. is providing, and who it is going to in this covert war you speak of. If not, shut the fuck up with your boring repetitious conspiracy theories.

• The only true conspiracy theory about Syria, is that America does not want to remove Assad.

Here's new report by Human Rights Watch "Syria: Government Likely Culprit in Chemical Attack"

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/09/10/syria-government-likely-culprit-chemical-attack

Who's the first one that's going to say that HRW lies and works for the CIA?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    motown67 said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    But what's going on now is exactly what me and all my crazies who pay attention to Bilderberg members when they speak/write have been saying is going to happen for over a year now. They took down Gaddafi and now they're aiming for Assad with 5 other nations in the Middle East/Northern Africa to follow. This isn't just a reaction by the US to a humanitarian concern over chemical weapons that the US produced in the first place. This shit has been planned for quite some time. Sheesh.

You said that Syria got all its chemical weapons from the U.S. Please prove that. I bet you ten to one that Syria got almost all its chemical stockpiles and equipment from Europe.

You said that Al Qaeda is America's proxies in Syria. Please prove that the U.S. is providing aid to or using Al Qaeda in the fight in Syria.

You've said that the U.S. is running a covert war in Syria. Please google the fuck out of that and tell me exactly what the U.S. has provided Syria's rebels and who it is going to. Here I'll even make it easy for you. Here are the main Syrian rebel groups.

Free Syrian Army - secular Sunni group. Is loose confederation of militia leaders now organized under the Supreme Military Council (SMC)

Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant/Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham - Al Qaeda in Iraq

Democratic Union Party (PYD) - is main Kurdish party. Off shoot of Turkey's Kurdistan Workers' Party (PKK)

Kurdish National Council (KNC) - smaller Kurdish coalition created by Iraq's Kurds

Please tell me all the equipment that the U.S. is providing, and who it is going to in this covert war you speak of. If not, shut the fuck up with your boring repetitious conspiracy theories.

You are being far too literal.

I think the point is, the US has a long history of interfering in this region.
    US Interference historically benefits the US to the determent of the people in the region.
    It looks like the US is looking to interfere again.

I think that is the point, which I find legit.
    In conspiracy theory debates the facts don't matter.
    You don't like that the Syrians got the weapons from the US? there is always another theory on where (and why) they got the weapons.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    motown67 said:
    Here's new report by Human Rights Watch "Syria: Government Likely Culprit in Chemical Attack"

http://www.hrw.org/news/2013/09/10/syria-government-likely-culprit-chemical-attack

"Likely".

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    motown67 said:

The Syria researcher whose Wall Street Journal op-ed piece was cited by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain during congressional hearings about the use of force has been fired from the Institute for the Study of War for lying about having a Ph.D.,

b/w

A new United Nations report asserts that both sides in the Syrian civil war have committed grave crimes in violation of international law.

LaserWolf said:
    motown67 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

You are being far too literal.

I think the point is, the US has a long history of interfering in this region.
    US Interference historically benefits the US to the determent of the people in the region.
    It looks like the US is looking to interfere again.

I think that is the point, which I find legit.
    In conspiracy theory debates the facts don't matter.
    You don't like that the Syrians got the weapons from the US? there is always another theory on where (and why) they got the weapons.

I just want him to prove 3 specific things that he's said in his previous posts. If he said them, he should be able to back them up.

Motown....isn't it true that at least some of the Rebel Forces have been joined by members of Al Qaeda?

DeadgarHoover said:
    Rockadelic said:
    The Syria researcher whose Wall Street Journal op-ed piece was cited by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain during congressional hearings about the use of force has been fired from the Institute for the Study of War for lying about having a Ph.D.,

Should plagiarists be outed? I say yes.

The Syria researcher whose Wall Street Journal op-ed piece was cited by Secretary of State John Kerry and Sen. John McCain during congressional hearings about the use of force has been fired from the Institute for the Study of War for lying about having a Ph.D., the group announced on Wednesday.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/09/wall-street-journal-elizabeth-obagy-fired-96637.html

Politico... hmm, what was that you were saying about my ATTRIBUTED source being left-leaning?

Oh, right, I forgot, the rules are different in Rockville.

"O???Bagy told POLITICO in an interview Monday that she had submitted and defended her dissertation and was waiting for Georgetown University to confer her degree. O???Bagy said she was in a dual master???s and doctorate program at Georgetown."

She sounds very unqualified, huh?

"Kagan originally gave May of this year as a rough estimate of when O???Bagy???s biography on the ISW site was updated to state she had obtained her Ph.D. But the internet archive the Wayback Machine captured a version of O???Bagy???s biography page that listed her as in a joint Master???s/Ph.D. program as of June 23."

A fair person would not have presented this as Rock did. But then there's not much that's fair about plagiarism.

LOL Politico didn't fire her.

b/w

From your link... "When asked further about the timing of O???Bagy???s academic claim, Kagan told POLITICO that O???Bagy ???misrepresented to me in May that she had successfully defended her dissertation.???

Rockadelic said:
    Motown....isn't it true that at least some of the Rebel Forces have been joined by members of Al Qaeda?

The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham is Al Qaeda in Iraq, connected with Al Qaeda central in Pakistan/Afghanistan, and is one of the major rebel forces in Syria. The war is like a free for all. With parties fighting each other and cutting deal with others. The Islamic State has attacked some of the Kurdish rebel groups for instance. It has also tried to take over the main Syrian Islamist group the Nusra Front. The two said they were merging, but then the Nusra Front leader rejected it claiming that the Islamic State just wanted all his fighters and resources.

• Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

b/w

A new United Nations report asserts that both sides in the Syrian civil war have committed grave crimes in violation of international law.

Not wanting to commit to another intervention is one thing, but let's not pretend the Syrian regime and the rebels are equally bad.

That same UN report said the regime had commited far worser atrocities and on a much larger scale. For example, it says the regime commited at least 9 out of the 10 mass executions of civilians. In two of those (the Baida and Ras al-Nabaa massacres) regime militias murdered about 500 civilians (many of them women and children) within a few hours time with knifes, axes and bluntv objects.

The rebels also haven't used airplanes, white phosphorus, tnt barrels dropped from helicopters, cluster bombs and SCUD missiles to wipe out whole city neighbourhoods all at once.

Rockadelic said:

Interersting to add that Assad supported Al Qaeda against US troops in the Iraq war until a few years back and that the vast majority of the rebels hate Al Qaeda as much as the Syrian government.

• Da Vinylmentalist said:
    Rockadelic said:
    motown67 said:

b/w

Not wanting to commit to another intervention is one thing, but let's not pretend the Syrian regime and the rebels are equally bad.

That same UN report said the regime had commited far worser atrocities and on a much larger scale. For example, it says the regime commited at least 9 out of the 10 mass executions of civilians. In two of those (the Baida and Ras al-Nabaa massacres) regime militias murdered about 500 civilians (many of them women and children) within a few hours time with knifes, axes and bluntv objects.

The rebels also haven't used airplanes, white phosphorus, tnt barrels dropped from helicopters, cluster bombs and SCUD missiles to wipe out whole city neighbourhoods all at once.

Rockadelic said:

Interersting to add that Assad supported Al Qaeda against US troops in the Iraq war until a few years back and that the vast majority of the rebels hate Al Qaeda as much as the Syrian government.

Assad supported pretty much anyone prepared to fight against the invading US troops in Iraq. More of an anti-invasion move than a pro Al Qaeda gesture.

So far as I can tell there are literally dozens of Islamist groups in the Syrian rebel ranks, some extreme and some moderate but all with their own sectarian agendas. I'm having a really hard time telling the difference between your Al Qaeda affiliates and your everyday extremist nutjobs but having built up the bogeyman of Al Qaeda in Iraq and Afghanistan, ironically Obama's now having to play down their involvement in Syria to justify backing the rebels.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    motown67 said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Same Al Qaeda agents utilized in Libya along with their guns transported to Syria by their US directors once the job was done in Libya. Only then does the overt US start getting involved talking about bombing Syria.

But no, it's Obama's bleeding heart that feels bad for Syrian children that is driving these billions of dollars in plans that have been unfolding here over much calculated time.

I mean, it's cool you only read from a manipulated textbook...and that you don't consider anything covert going on AS IT ALWAYS DOES IN EVERY WAR INVOLVING THE US FOR HUNDREDS OF YEARS ON END.

That's no conspiracy theory, asshole. That's historical fact.

But no, let's all stay on a NY Times/NPR level of analyzing the situation. Let's never assume that John Kerry actually is a LIAR. Of course Obama has the children's best interest at heart, always.

I mean, there's no way that all of the answers to everything aren't just a simple google search away.

We can all PROVE everything we think on a dime, right?

Well only if your version of reality is derived from a limited, pre-manipulated source, yeah.

I know the character of the criminal US government like the back of my hand, as should all of us. So fuck them and Obama and whoever gets elected next from the same pool of shitbirds and anyone who continues to support them, goodbye.

motown67 said:
    Rockadelic said:

The Islamic State of Iraq and al-Sham is Al Qaeda in Iraq, connected with Al Qaeda central in Pakistan/Afghanistan, and is one of the major rebel forces in Syria. The war is like a free for all. With parties fighting each other and cutting deal with others. The Islamic State has attacked some of the Kurdish rebel groups for instance. It has also tried to take over the main Syrian Islamist group the Nusra Front. The two said they were merging, but then the Nusra Front leader rejected it claiming that the Islamic State just wanted all his fighters and resources.

^^^You talk in circles like a politician and ultimately say NOTHING.

Cool, you know shit. But what's your solution?

• PatrickCrazy said:

Less than 24 hours after Obama's speech to the nation, Russia indicates it'll be selling Syria advanced missiles, the Syrian Air Force is back in action bombing civilians, and Putin pens lecturing Op-Ed in the NY Times preaching to us about democracy and America's role in the world...

Obama = checkers

Putin = chess.

• rootlesscosmo said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Less than 24 hours after Obama's speech to the nation, Russia indicates it'll be selling Syria advanced missiles, the Syrian Air Force is back in action bombing civilians, and Putin pens lecturing Op-Ed in the NY Times preaching to us about democracy and America's role in the world...

Obama = Tic Tac Toe

Putin = Quantum Physics

Plus they'll be arming Iran.

What a debacle, it's hard to imagine how this could have been handled any worse. Putin just ate this administration for breakfast.

• Dub

It is crazy that Putin is directly addressing the American people and we are basically all ears.

• Obama is playing us; Putin is playing Obama..and us.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Obama is playing us; Putin is playing Obama..and us.

Yeah, I agree. I don't trust any of this grandstanding. But Americans are definitely looking for someone to make some sense, whoever that winds up being.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

We can all PROVE everything we think on a dime, right?

Translation: I can't prove shit, so I'll just foam at the mouth like a rabid dog.

LOL, indeed.

Horseleech said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Obama = Tic Tac Toe

Putin = Quantum Physics

What a debacle, it's hard to imagine how this could have been handled any worse. Putin just ate this administration for breakfast.

Amazing. You've been whining about how we shouldn't get involved in Syria and should resolve this diplomatically. Obama decides to resolve this diplomatically, and you criticize him.

Breath taking.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

• Bon Vivant said:
    Horseleech said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Obama = Tic Tac Toe

Putin = Quantum Physics

Amazing. You've been whining about how we shouldn't get involved in Syria and should resolve this diplomatically. Obama decides to resolve this diplomatically, and you criticize him.

Breath taking.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

What's amazing is how the simplest realities are beyond your grasp.

Nothing got resolved.

Assad will remain in power, backed by Russia, and the slaughter will continue.

And Russia just completely humiliated the US and installed themselves as the dominant power in the region in one quick move.

Sure the people of Syria (maybe) won't be gassed - they'll just be burned, shot, blown up, beaten, raped and tortured. But not gassed.

But maybe since you are the self-appointed moral conscience of Soul Strut, you can tell us how this qualifies as a 'resolution'.

DeadgarHoover said:
    Rockadelic said:
    The investigation has been "delayed".....what exactly did the "Rogue IRS workers" actually do if it wasn't break the law?

Their jobs.

Name the law they broke, Rock.

It's a simple request.

Horseleech said:

What's amazing is how the simplest realities are beyond your grasp.

Nothing got resolved.

Assad will remain in power, backed by Russia, and the slaughter will continue.

And Russia just completely humiliated the US and installed themselves as the dominant power in the region in one quick move.

Sure the people of Syria (maybe) won't be gassed - they'll just be burned, shot, blown up, beaten, raped and tortured. But not gassed.

But maybe since you are the self-appointed moral conscience of Soul Strut, you can tell us how this qualifies as a 'resolution'.

LOL! This is what you wanted, pal.

You got your wish, now you criticize.