Miami Graff writer Israel Hernandez tasered to death by Police

YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
edited August 2013 in Strut Central
This is heartbreaking and don't really have any insight to the atrocity but thought this shouldn't go overlooked. Something's gotta give.

http://blogs.miaminewtimes.com/riptide/2013/08/israel_hernandez_killing_offic.php

Comments

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Read about this yesterday. Heartbreaking. R.I.P. REEFA

b/w

Michelle Shocked "Graffiti Limbo"

• Pigs Gone Wild sums it up very well. We have a serious problem with cops in this country and it's getting worse.

http://www.amazon.com/Rise-Warrior-Cop-Militarization-Americas/dp/1610392116

• Tazing anyone seems a bit obsessive to be honest, I have always felt to be a cop in America you should have to take and pass an ethics exam, and be held to that standard. Most cops I know are all steroid, hyper-aggressive, alpha male shit heads who never helped anyone, but are too scared to join the marines. It's a broad generalization, High fiving and laughing after tazing someone to death doesn't surprise me at all. I do know that with every interaction i've had with the police, there is always.. ALWAYS.. a chance it will escalate to something like this. It's sad.

• How come nobody ever starts a thread when the police do something good?

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    How come nobody ever starts a thread when the police do something good?

Because then their just doing the job they're being paid to do. Is that such a rare occurrence that it would be threadworthy?

I've lived and traveled all over the world but your brand of pigs is globally unique. During most my interactions with US police it struck me how they emanate this weird misguided sense of meatheaded superiority and penned up anger that makes police in third world dictatorships seem human and easy to relate to in comparison. It never saddens me when one of them gets it in the line of duty.

• HOTSOUPHOTSOUP 63 Posts
    Yikes. Yeah the police don't normally like to run. I've had my fair share of police encounters and while I can't call any of them pleasant not all cops are dicks. Does anyone know if the tazer used was standard issue or used excessively?

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    those fucks....jesus christ, I cant see the reasoning or rational for tasering someone for tagging, forget the fact that he was tasered and look at the attitudes of the pigs after the fact...high fives and celebrations..are you fuckin kidding me with this bullshit.. chances are he had a better chance of living by running than anything, cops are killing more and more people for the most ridiculous reasons...

police - the largest gang in the world

and being suspended with pay is some scandalous bullshit as well, just a few years ago a cop was suspended
    who???s been on the force for about 71/2 years, was charged for allegedly providing information about a witness to a friend who???d been charged with impaired driving in June 2010
    so after 2 yrs on suspension the case came to a close and the cop left the force and the crown dropped the charges so he walked away from any charges (basically getting away with what he did) yet, made $200,000...

cops are pigs in my opinion and they get zero sympathy from me what so ever...dangerous job or not

back in the early 90's a few friends and I were out painting we had someone "attempting" to "keep 6" but out of the blue there were so many cops and dogs that seemed to come out of no where that you would have thought we were trying to pull off a bank heist or murder someone, 5 guys painting seemed to have required 8 patty wagons, 4 police cars and dogs? jesus murphy...I mean I know we were breaking the law and everything but damn.. police would rather use excessive force rather than just trying to communicate with people in most of the police interaction that I have witnessed..

• Frank said:
    BallzDeep said:

Because then their just doing the job they're being paid to do. Is that such a rare occurrence that it would be threadworthy?

I've lived and traveled all over the world but your brand of pigs is globally unique. During most my interactions with US police it struck me how they emanate this weird misguided sense of meatheaded superiority and penned up anger that makes police in third world dictatorships seem human and easy to relate to in comparison. It never saddens me when one of them gets it in the line of duty.

You sound nice

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    BallzDeep said:
    Frank said:
    BallzDeep said:

You sound nice

you sound simple, naive and oinking on cue

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    BallzDeep said:

Go ahead.

• it's not just a US thang! cops in oz are equally is bad >.

i called them months ago regarding an assault, and soon felt myself slip into the role of criminal and cross examination......resulting in quite aggressive and extremely illogical probing! ASSHOLES.. Doesn't matter if there are some good cops, it only takes one cook to spoil the broth

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    RIP

People, and by people I include police, forget that tasers are only meant to be used as an alternative to deadly force.
    That is what the manufacturer says.

That means cops should only use a taser in situation where they would use a gun.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    dj_cityboy said:
    I cant see the reasoning or rational for tasering someone for tagging, forget the fact that he was tasered and look at the attitudes of the pigs after the fact...high fives and celebrations..are you fuckin kidding me with this bullshit.. chances are he had a better chance of living by running than anything, cops are killing more and more people for the most ridiculous reasons...

Unfortunately, the majority of the stories about this incident are not including some important details.
    The kid was seen tagging and the police approached to arrest him. He then ran and a chase ensued. When they finally caught up with him, he had nowhere to run. He then made the unfortunate decision to run AT the cops, who them tasered him.
    Whether he was 'over-tasered' will remain to be seen. But an unfortunate incident regardless.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    tokyobeats said:

aggressive and extremely illogical probing! ASSHOLES.

*crosses Oz off the vacation list*

Yes it was an unfortunate incident.

Unfortunate incidents happen. Like the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. An unfortunate incident.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Things are getting progressively more fucked up in this country.

In fact, I'll just leave this here for you all to peruse.

http://www.reddit.com/r/bad_cop_no_donut

Increasing militarization of the police to circumvent the Posse Comitatus Act..

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2013/08/swat-team-nation.html

...and on and fucking on. The future does not look bright.

And nothing - NOTHING - happens to the cops who do this. Unless you count a paid suspension as a punishment.
    Like the cop who plowed into 3 bikers, killing one, while drunk in his squad car (at twice the legal limit), and was later caught driving drunk again after the incident.

http://indypokerruns.com/motorcycle/motorcycle-news/drunk-cop-david-bisard

I could be here ALL FUCKING DAY with this, but you get the picture. Nothing's gonna change because the people are afraid. And rightfully so.

http://boingboing.net/2008/10/01/denver-police-union.html

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Yes it was an unfortunate incident.

Unfortunate incidents happen. Like the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia. An unfortunate incident.

Yes, because this is just like the Killing Fields.

That said, this a tragedy. Let's see what the investigation turns up.

• DJBombjack said:
    dj_cityboy said:
    I cant see the reasoning or rational for tasering someone for tagging, forget the fact that he was tasered and look at the attitudes of the pigs after the fact...high fives and celebrations..are you fuckin kidding me with this bullshit.. chances are he had a better chance of living by running than anything, cops are killing more and more people for the most ridiculous reasons...

Unfortunately, the majority of the stories about this incident are not including some important details.
    The kid was seen tagging and the police approached to arrest him. He then ran and a chase ensued. When they finally caught up with him, he had nowhere to run. He then made the unfortunate decision to run AT the cops, who them tasered him.
    Whether he was 'over-tasered' will remain to be seen. But an unfortunate incident regardless.

There is something deeply wrong with you and you should try to get it fixed.

Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    DJBombjack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

What, exactly?

• DJBombjack said:
    DJBombjack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

What, exactly?

I can't say for sure, but I think it involves being an authority-worshiping zombie.

If a couple of cops can't wrestle a skinny kid "running AT them" down without resorting to a weapon they should find another fucking profession.

And your use of the word "unfortunate" - I mean, Jeezus, there is really something in your skull which is just wrong.

Hey, here's some more "unfortunate" news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/nyregion/grand-jury-declines-to-indict-officer-in-death-of-unarmed-youth.html?src=recg

• Herm said:
    tokyobeats said:

aggressive and extremely illogical probing! ASSHOLES.

*crosses Oz off the vacation list*

your'e very unlikely to have issues with police here unless associated with certain people or practice what are considered anti-social behaviours (for the most part)

I had the misfortune of working for a prick, it required some police inquiries.

DJBombjack said:
    DJBombjack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

What, exactly?

I can't say for sure, but I think it involves being an authority-worshiping zombie.

If a couple of cops can't wrestle a skinny kid "running AT them" down without resorting to a weapon they should find another fucking profession.

And your use of the word "unfortunate" - I mean, Jeezus, there is really something in your skull which is just wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/09/nyregion/grand-jury-declines-to-indict-officer-in-death-of-unarmed-youth.html?src=recg

The death of the skater is indeed unfortunate. It seems my choice of words was not outrageous enough for you.
    Also, I live here in Miami. I used to see that kid skating around south beach. I know some of his friends. Despite this, the details covered by the news have not been entirely accurate and shown the entire story - hence my original post, which neither condemned or condoned MBPDs actions. I'm waiting for more information (including the autopsy) before I take a solid view on this.

• Jean-ClaudeBanDamned said:
    DJBombjack said:
    DJBombjack said:
    dj_cityboy said:

What, exactly?

The death of the skater is indeed unfortunate. It seems my choice of words was not outrageous enough for you.
    Also, I live here in Miami. I used to see that kid skating around south beach. I know some of his friends. Despite this, the details covered by the news have not been entirely accurate and shown the entire story - hence my original post, which neither condemned or condoned MBPDs actions. I'm waiting for more information (including the autopsy) before I take a solid view on this.

Yeah, that's it, your word choice wasn't "outrageous" enough...

Let me know when you solidly decide whether this homicide was acceptable, okay?

• Tasers warn explicitly against shooting at the chest (or head).

Bombjack, do you have a printed source for your info? I would be interested to read about it.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Lightning is an unpredictable motherfucker.

I once read that to decrease your chances of being struck by lightning you should not walk outside during a lightning storm carrying a long metal rod....you still may get struck, but the odds are much less.....sounds like good advice.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Cops, unlike lightning, are not a force of nature. They are public servants paid for with the tax money of that kids' parents. Once a society has given up control over their armed servants and allowed them to become a gang that acts as unpredictable as lightning (I really like your analogy), follows their own rules and kills at will, you as a people are deep in the shit.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Lightning is an unpredictable motherfucker.

I once read that to decrease your chances of being struck by lightning you should not walk outside during a lightning storm carrying a long metal rod....you still may get struck, but the odds are much less.....sounds like good advice.

Is this supposed to be funny?

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Tasers warn explicitly against shooting at the chest (or head).

Bombjack, do you have a printed source for your info? I would be interested to read about it.

Link here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/158935018/Statement-by-Raymond-Martinez-re-Miami-Beach-Case-2013-88697