Is Baseball slowly dying?

1567810

  Comments



  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

    The Media has been predicting that Soccer is going to sweep the U.S. since the 70's.

    Soccer is the next big thing in the US...



    And always will be.

  • HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Baseball as a sport/business is not dying.

    Attendance at stadiums for many clubs, though, is starting to tank big time. Official stats are completely bogus and exaggerate the numbers wildly. I think a lot of teams badly miscalculated by trying to build giant facilities geared towards a high end premium experience. It will be interesting to see if the next wave of stadiums are noticeably smaller.

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Baseball as a sport/business is not dying.

    Attendance at stadiums for many clubs, though, is starting to tank big time. Official stats are completely bogus and exaggerate the numbers wildly. I think a lot of teams badly miscalculated by trying to build giant facilities geared towards a high end premium experience. It will be interesting to see if the next wave of stadiums are noticeably smaller.

    Agreed

  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    There was a factoid, I want to say in the Wall Street Journal earlier this week, about a Houston Astros game scoring a 0.0 in the Nielsen Ratings. That's an outlier and, obviously, the Astros but interesting.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    I'm going to concede the point.
    Baseball is not slowly dying.
    Tanked stadium attendance and 0.0 tv ratings are a sign of health.

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    I'm going to concede the point.
    Baseball is not slowly dying.
    Tanked stadium attendance and 0.0 tv ratings are a sign of health.


    1970 MLB Total Attendance = 28 million
    1980 MLB Total Attendance = 43 million
    1990 MLB Total Attendance = 54 million
    2000 MLB Total Attendance = 72 million
    2010 MLB Total Attendance = 74 million
    2013 MLB Total Attendance = 74 million


    Please explain how these numbers = "tanked attendance".

    I'm using real attendance and revenue #'s and you're off on some anecdotal exception to the rule bullshit.

    You're wrong....but keep fighting the good fight.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Texas Ranger average home attendance per game

    1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

    I just watched clips of Yu Darvish striking out 14 in a win.

    The stats said 86% attendance, the stadium wasn't even 1/4 full.


    It was a make-up game from an earlier rain out

    Nonetheless the stats were a total lie. Watch this and tell me if you think 86% of the seats are full:

    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330801113

    The Rangers are hardly unique in this regard, virtually every game that I bother to check is completely misrepresented attendance-wise.

    MLB attendance figures are complete BS. Not exaggerations, complete lies.

    but...but...but.....

    The announced attendance was 41,569, but a lot of those purchased tickets went unused.

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Texas Ranger average home attendance per game

    1972 - 8,610
    1982 - 14,252
    1992 - 27,139
    2002 - 29, 043
    2012 - 42,719

    I just watched clips of Yu Darvish striking out 14 in a win.

    The stats said 86% attendance, the stadium wasn't even 1/4 full.


    It was a make-up game from an earlier rain out

    Nonetheless the stats were a total lie. Watch this and tell me if you think 86% of the seats are full:

    http://scores.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=330801113

    The Rangers are hardly unique in this regard, virtually every game that I bother to check is completely misrepresented attendance-wise.

    MLB attendance figures are complete BS. Not exaggerations, complete lies.

    but...but...but.....

    The announced attendance was 41,569, but a lot of those purchased tickets went unused.


    And the revenue must be a lie too...wait until the IRS finds out.

  • yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,329 Posts
    To Batmon, per usual. Please do not let the media fool you. The media is business. You are buying into that business. That's on you.

    And no, baseball is not dying off...

  • yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,329 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Horseleech said:
    Baseball as a sport/business is not dying.

    Attendance at stadiums for many clubs, though, is starting to tank big time. Official stats are completely bogus and exaggerate the numbers wildly. I think a lot of teams badly miscalculated by trying to build giant facilities geared towards a high end premium experience. It will be interesting to see if the next wave of stadiums are noticeably smaller.

    Agreed

    This is the exact thing Colin Cowherd was talking about on AM radio this week. and I completely agree.

    Building massive stadiums where half the seats are empty does not make the average fan want to rush to purchase tickets. Smaller historical venues like Wrigley does. That's not on baseball. That's on the individual ballclubs and how they run their business....

  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Yeah but in the event of late-season success all the seats are packed and in the meantime the TV contract pays the bills, 'cept maybe for the Astros. Let's dead this thread until one of the owners sells their team at a discount.

  • HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Yeah but in the event of late-season success all the seats are packed

    Not exactly. Several teams were not selling out last year, some even in playoff games.

    Even the Red Sox weren't selling out Fenway last year on their way to the World Series.

    http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2013/08/28/red-sox-are-winning-but-attendance-lagging/Lag7ZBsFwaiiZZBv0dmkWJ/story.html

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    LaserWolf said:
    I'm going to concede the point.
    Baseball is not slowly dying.
    Tanked stadium attendance and 0.0 tv ratings are a sign of health.


    1970 MLB Total Attendance = 28 million
    1980 MLB Total Attendance = 43 million
    1990 MLB Total Attendance = 54 million
    2000 MLB Total Attendance = 72 million
    2010 MLB Total Attendance = 74 million
    2013 MLB Total Attendance = 74 million


    Please explain how these numbers = "tanked attendance".

    I'm using real attendance and revenue #'s and you're off on some anecdotal exception to the rule bullshit.

    You're wrong....but keep fighting the good fight.

    Chill out a little.
    I already conceded the point.
    "Tank" came for HL not me. You agreed with him. I was also agreeing with him.
    I've used nothing but real #s in this thread up to conceding the point.

  • Rockadelic said:
    This idea that "baseball is dying" is one of the dumbest fuckall ideas I have ever heard.

    What's dying is the critical thinking skills of people who convince themselves of such bullshit.

    But not so slowly.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Deep in the playoffs.
    KC v Baltimore.
    The 2 best teams in MLB.

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts



  • white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Laser Wolf is trollin'! But I'd take that any day of the week over a zombie night, even one in an atmosphere as fitting as a Padres-Mets game. I don't watch much baseball all year long but come autumn, watching the playoffs is as comforting as sliding on my old oiled leather (pause).

  • The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Baseball ratings on Thursday vs Thursday Night Football, which have been mostly blowouts is not even close. Thursday Night Football is crushing baseball. The youf dgaf about no baseball nah.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    .

  • saying baseball isn't competing with football is like saying reddit was more posts than soulstrut.

    b/w

    "The Kansas City RoyalsÔÇÖ comeback 9-8 win in 12 innings over the Oakland Athletics on Tuesday averaged more than 5.2 million viewers on TBS. The network said Wednesday thatÔÇÖs up 14 per cent from the nearly 4.6 million for last yearÔÇÖs NL game between Cincinnati and Pittsburgh to open the post-season, a 6-2 Pirates win.

    On Tuesday, the Royals trailed 7-3 after seven innings, but they scored three times in the eighth, tied the game in the bottom of the ninth, then rallied again from down a run in the 12th.

    Viewership peaked at 6.5 million from 11:30-11:45 p.m. EDT during the ninth inning."

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    .

    In its return to playoff baseball, ESPN attracted the largest audience yet for an MLB Wild Card Game.

    WednesdayÔÇÖs Giants/Pirates National League Wild Card game drew a 3.6 final rating and 5.6 million viewers on ESPN, up 16% in ratings and 18% in viewership from Rays/Indians on TBS last year (3.1, 4.7M) and the highest rated, most-watched Wild Card game ever (six telecasts dating back to 2012). The previous highs were a 3.4 and 5.3 million for Orioles/Rangers in 2012.

  • baseball is quietly shitting on your endorsement fueled superstar culture. (that means you NBA/NFL)


    what has made this the most successful playoffs in recent memory? no shoe deal wielding studs, just ball players who get it done.

  • GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    My dodgers and their guggenheim money couldn't get it done (Fuck you Mattingly).

    I'm now on the Royals and their 19th highest bankroll's bandwagon.

    Baseball still has fans, it just doesn't have the slam dunks or football fanatics plastered all over tv.

  • rain103rain103 476 Posts
    You could make the arguement that the extra wild card spots has helped keep two (or more) extra markets interested in the game/season. I like the thought of having an extra wild card spot and chance to make the playoffs, however I'm not sure I like the 1 game playoff format.

    The post season has been great so far though.

  • meanwhile, middle of the first period at a florida panthers hockey game:




    a family of four to go see a hockey game in toronto is $1000+, IF you can even GET four tickets together.....

    so i guess there's also a balance of markets at play in professional sports. ie. the league chasing cities that have no business having a team, tampa for baseball, florida for hockey, atlanta for every sport.....

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    .so i guess there's also a balance of markets at play in professional sports. ie. the league chasing cities that have no business having a team, tampa for baseball, florida for hockey, atlanta for every sport.....

    Ha...

    I would think The Braves have held onto their popularity right?

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Here's one to think about....

    Japanese league baseball draws more fans per game than both the NBA and NHL

  • RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    .so i guess there's also a balance of markets at play in professional sports. ie. the league chasing cities that have no business having a team, tampa for baseball, florida for hockey, atlanta for every sport.....

    Ha...

    I would think The Braves have held onto their popularity right?

    Atlanta is 18th in attendance in MLB behind teams like Toronto and Milwaukee

  • batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    Here's one to think about....

    Japanese league baseball draws more fans per game than both the NBA and NHL



Sign In or Register to comment.