Explaining Rave Culture to Americans

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Sandwich Spread has pimento in it.

But hey, don't y'all be dissing horseradish on my watch. What would shrimp cocktail and oysters on the half shell be without it?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

But hey, don't y'all be dissing horseradish on my watch. What would shrimp cocktail and oysters on the half shell be without it?

Also kills it on certain beef dishes. :beerbang:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    I don't know why folks are so anti-mayo. You like eggs? You like olive oil? Whisk the two together and you have mayo.

lol - I like eggplant! I like Hennessy! I am not whisking the two together!

Yes...no to tartar sauce as well. This whole smearing fish in whipped up eggs activity is really weird lol

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    bassie said:
    oh wow. Is that mayo and relish - my two least favourite tastes and food smells in the world - mixed together?

Actually, mayo mixed with relish is literally this:

Which I will totally rock on a New England fried seafood plate.

I don't mind relish and I don't mind mayo, yet I find tartar sauce disgusting. The only thing fried seafood needs is hot sauce of the tabasco or better variety.

b/w

plaese to share achiote paste recipe other than the one of Robert Rodriguez explaining how to make it on a dvd extra from one of his movies, for the purpose of perfecting cochinita pibil skillz.

I don't really like mayo, except on leftover turkey sandwiches as mentioned earlier, but tartar sauce is a MUST with some fried catfish.

ppadilha said:
    plaese to share achiote paste recipe other than the one of Robert Rodriguez explaining how to make it on a dvd extra from one of his movies, for the purpose of perfecting cochinita pibil skillz.

The recipe's at home???I'll hook it up this weekend. It requires a mortar and pestle though. Annatto seeds are like rocks and just laugh at conventional grinding techniques. I had a plastic spice grinder that literally broke apart in my hands rather than grinding the annatto.

DB_Cooper said:
    ppadilha said:

The recipe's at home???I'll hook it up this weekend. It requires a mortar and pestle though. Annatto seeds are like rocks and just laugh at conventional grinding techniques. I had a plastic spice grinder that literally broke apart in my hands rather than grinding the annatto.

I use a coffee grinder after I tried using a stone mortar and pestle and the pestle lost.

ppadilha said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    ppadilha said:

I use a coffee grinder after I tried using a stone mortar and pestle and the pestle lost.

Intense. Achiote is a labor of love. But you can't make al pastor without it.

DB_Cooper said:
    But you can't make al pastor without it.

Sounds like you got a good thing going, but I strongly disagree.

HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I know it's the subject of heated debate, and I respect the opposing philosophy, but for me it's the heart and soul of al pastor.

DB_Cooper said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    DB_Cooper said:

I know it's the subject of heated debate, and I respect the opposing philosophy, but for me it's the heart and soul of al pastor.

Actually, you're right. For some reason I was thinking you meant you were putting some sort of cream sauce on your al pastor tacos.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Some mayos are rank. To get the good stuff you have look to the home of mayonnaise Belgium.

This stuff is amazing and totally different to some of the nasty shit that is sold as mayo.

I lived with a Japanese girl for a while, they're pretty religious about their mayo as well. She wouldn't buy any of that Hellmann's shit.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

But hey, don't y'all be dissing horseradish on my watch. What would oysters on the half shell be without it?
    better. If you need to put "cocktail sauce" on raw oysters, you might need to get some better oysters.

• Delay said:
    HarveyCanal said:

But hey, don't y'all be dissing horseradish on my watch. What would oysters on the half shell be without it?
    better. If you need to put "cocktail sauce" on raw oysters, you might need to get some better oysters.

The other day a friend of mine pointed out that oysters are still alive when you eat them (unless cooked). It blew my mind a little bit. But I'm still going to eat them.

• ppadilha said:
    Ketchup is the most disgusting condiment.

+1

vile stuff.

• Delay said:
    HarveyCanal said:

fresh gulf oyster w/a little horseradish & ketchup + a squeeze of lemon juice, all on top of a saltine?

nothing better.

• Delay said:
    HarveyCanal said:

I don't think Harvey is putting cocktail sauce on his oysters. Every reputable Oyster bar I have been to always has a jar of raw horseradish on the table. A dollop of raw horseradish, a squirt of lemon.

• i just hope we can all agree that ketchup fucking sucks.

• willie_fugal said:
    Delay said:
    HarveyCanal said:

fresh gulf oyster w/a little horseradish & ketchup + a squeeze of lemon juice, all on top of a saltine?

nothing better.

Gulf oysters are OK, but the cold water jammies are where it's at.

• I find it hard to believe people eat horseradish with oysters and have never seen it served that way, I sometimes have it with beef though.

• SP 1200 said:
    I find it hard to believe people eat horseradish with oysters and have never seen it served that way, I sometimes have it with beef though.

Really? In my experience ,It is hard to find a place that serves oysters in the south without horseradish readily available.

• SP 1200 said:
    , I sometimes have it with beef though.

horseradish with the au jus is standard procedure with prime rib. that's pretty much it for me.

The_Hook_Up said:
    SP 1200 said:
    I find it hard to believe people eat horseradish with oysters and have never seen it served that way, I sometimes have it with beef though.

Really? In my experience ,It is hard to find a place that serves oysters in the south without horseradish readily available.

horseradish is not the New England way, or at least I've never seen it served anywhere. Usually it's cocktail sauce or some kind of vinaigrette, along with lemon & tabasco.

horseradish and saltines? seems like the oyster would get lost in the middle...

• Explaining Oyster Culture to Americans

• Junior said:

American Rave Culture = Euroman Hip Hop

:shreddin_it:

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    Pretty much. I might also fuck with a touch of champagne-vinegar shave-ice if it's that kind of party, but yeah, that's that shit right there.

In coastal Carolina, the swells just throw their oyster shells in a heap out in their yard, with the size of your pile connoting your status. Trip and Ashley n' 'nem in some dogged deck shoes and grinning from atop like daddy's little extra-paid Tenzing Norgays on some "So, how was y'all's season?" We went to a party at some judge's place one time (don't ask), and duke had like four five-foot piles, a six-footer out back by the dock, plus a motherfucking oyster-shell driveway. AIl shellfish everything. Oh, what--that smell? That's the smell of money.

I never really had it like that, though--the functions I went to were usually in some parking lot, and were all about a 4'x8' piece of plywood with a square cut out of the middle, laid across two sawhorses and with some rudimentary condiments on top and a garbage drum underneath the hole. Here's a knife, here's a glove, here's a dude dumping a zinc tub of oysters, now go for yourself like Kenny Smith. Beers are over there, but don't be gone long lest your spot get got. One time I overdid it (holmes) and barfed discreetly but prodigiously beside an otherwise immaculately restored Packard. I felt like I was birthing a mermaid from my throat. Shit was horror-show.

Regional variations aside, I've found one constant when it come to eating oysters: No eye contact. Ever.

• james said:
    willie_fugal said:
    Pretty much. I might also fuck with a touch of champagne-vinegar shave-ice if it's that kind of party, but yeah, that's that shit right there.

In coastal Carolina, the swells just throw their oyster shells in a heap out in their yard, with the size of your pile connoting your status. Trip and Ashley n' 'nem in some dogged deck shoes and grinning from atop like daddy's little extra-paid Tenzing Norgays on some "So, how was y'all's season?" We went to a party at some judge's place one time (don't ask), and duke had like four five-foot piles, a six-footer out back by the dock, plus a motherfucking oyster-shell driveway. AIl shellfish everything. Oh, what--that smell? That's the smell of money.

I never really had it like that, though--the functions I went to were usually in some parking lot, and were all about a 4'x8' piece of plywood with a square cut out of the middle, laid across two sawhorses and with some rudimentary condiments on top and a garbage drum underneath the hole. Here's a knife, here's a glove, here's a dude dumping a zinc tub of oysters, now go for yourself like Kenny Smith. Beers are over there, but don't be gone long lest your spot get got. One time I overdid it (holmes) and barfed discreetly but prodigiously beside an otherwise immaculately restored Packard. I felt like I was birthing a mermaid from my throat. Shit was horror-show.

Regional variations aside, I've found one constant when it come to eating oysters: No eye contact. Ever.

:killin_it:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    willie_fugal said:

Explaining Oyster Culture to Americans

Oh. My. Word.

generally speaking, with:
    horseradish
    pepper sauce
    lemon
    vodka
    =
    bliss

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    i just hope we can all agree that ketchup fucking sucks.

With oysters? Agreed. But with grilled cheese? Ketchup is so necessaire .