What? No NBA 2012-2013 Thread Yet?

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    batmon said:
    Howard is not that good.

Definitely not a Shaq or Jabbar, that's for sure....Lacking that killer instinct that all champions have.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Howard is not that good.

Definitely not a Shaq or Jabbar, that's for sure....Lacking that consistent post up game, mid range jump shot,and killer instinct that all champions have.

Turkolu was the go-to man when he when and Orlando went to the Finals.
    Hes a great rebounder and defender but asking him to be that dude down the stretch is str8 gambling.

He should be the third option with Gasol at second.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Howard is not that good.

Definitely not a Shaq or Jabbar, that's for sure....Lacking that consistent post up game, mid range jump shot,and killer instinct that all champions have.

Hes a great rebounder and defender but asking him to be that dude down the stretch is str8 gambling.

Wasn't that the year Rafer Alston did his thing too?

Gasol is definitely not second option. As a professional athlete, how do you live with a teammate calling you out with "He needs to put his big boy pants on".

yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Howard is not that good.

Gasol is definitely not second option. As a professional athlete, how do you live with a teammate calling you out with "He needs to put his big boy pants on".

Didnt u state a while ago that Gasol was the one that got u a Chip?
    Hes better in the post than Howard and won a ring because of that.
    Two coaches later and he should be a clean up man?
    Theyve faded him out of the offense and now he has the problem?

Alston had a great run and then i think got injured, but it was Turkolu that was the finisher in the clutch. Not Howard who isnt dependable.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    batmon said:
    Howard is not that good.

Didnt u state a while ago that Gasol was the one that got u a Chip?
    Hes better in the post than Howard and won a ring because of that.
    Two coaches later and he should be a clean up man?
    Theyve faded him out of the offense and now he has the problem?

Alston had a great run and then i think got injured, but it was Turkolu that was the finisher in the clutch. Not Howard who isnt dependable.

Naw, I probably said Andrew Bynum was crucial (injury and all) and that Artest won us game 7 versus the Celts (not Kobe). Gasol's time is up really. Whether it's a lack of confidence or being unselfish, you don't pass up an open 12footer. The dude does not DEMAND the rock in the low post nor does he try to establish that. In the starting lineup, more and more he's starting to look like the weakest link. It' s clear to Kobe, it's clear to the fans in LA.

Actually, Rafer was fine, Jameer Nelson who was rusty came back from his injury just in time for the Finals, and kinda killed the momentum.

This is where I am against putting in ALL of your "best players" in the starting lineup, because they are that. SAS is really one of the few teams that understands this, by having Manu come off the bench.

Wouldn't be surprised if the Lakers go on a run with Pau out with his knee.

Curious as to what others feel about Pau Gasol.

You know I'm not a stats-guy either, but in this case it applies so here it is....

Gasol's numbers have dropped in virtually every category every season since around '09. Not to mention, 17 games into the season, he's posting career lows in many of the significant categories, particularly FG% (42%?!). As much as he's done for us in the past, he's clearly past his prime.

Yeah u said Bynum.

FAIL

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    yuichi said:

Pau Gasol is a more efficient scorer, better defender and better passer than Kobe Bryant. He's also an good rebounder and excellent free throw shooter. Pau is struggling because his knees are fucked up and more importantly his role on the team has changed again. Every year Pau has been with The Lakers he has been asked to assume a different role/position on the team. He's a good dude for putting up with all the bullshit and grief.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    batmon said:
    Yeah u said Bynum.

An anonymous player who played with Bynum in L.A. apparently said the dude does not like basketball and does not want to be playing basketball.

b/w

Amir Johnson

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Yeah u said Bynum.

An anonymous player who played with Bynum in L.A. apparently said the dude does not like basketball and does not want to be playing basketball.

I said the same on a past NBA thread. Bynum didnt start playing basketball until his later years in high school. He doesnt give a shit about basketball. The Lakers organization pretty much molded him into an all star..damn near by force.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I think there are more players like Bynum than people think. I can't remember who it was, but on one NBA show they were talking about guys working out in the summer and a couple said there are plenty of players that went to stay as far away from basketball as possible once the season is over.

edpowers said:
    yuichi said:

Pau Gasol is a more efficient scorer, better defender and better passer than Kobe Bryant. He's also an good rebounder and excellent free throw shooter. Pau is struggling because his knees are fucked up and more importantly his role on the team has changed again. Every year Pau has been with The Lakers he has been asked to assume a different role/position on the team. He's a good dude for putting up with all the bullshit and grief.

Efficient scorer? Better defender? You smokin' something.

I also give it to him that he has dealt very admirably with the bullshit.

But I do remember him at least TRYING to be physical the first couple years with the Lakers.

Rockadelic said:
    batmon said:
    Yeah u said Bynum.

b/w

Amir Johnson

I could care less. He won us a title.

Granted Steven A. engages in hyperbole, he does speak a lot of truth. So does Eddie House.
    http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/8712002/kobe-bryant-los-angeles-lakers-says-loves-pau-gasol-brother

• i know it's an NBA thread and everything, but the story of a pro athlete wanting nothing to do with their vocation is widespread throughout all the sports. i think the most profound was ALEXANDER DAIGLE**** in the NHL. drafted first overall, rookie of the year, scoring title, 50 goals in 50 games, an then retired within his first 5 years to become a party promoter in vegas.

became an all-star just to get his dad off his back.

edit: name corrected by cove. wasnt thinking while phone-posting on coffee break.

yuichi said:
    Gettiing Kevin Martin is a very good thing.

lol

The beginning of the end for OKC.

Care to rethink this?

motown67 said:
    Warriors need a new coach ASAP

So......?

yuichi said:
    edpowers said:
    yuichi said:

Efficient scorer? Better defender? You smokin' something.

I also give it to him that he has dealt very admirably with the bullshit.

But I do remember him at least TRYING to be physical the first couple years with the Lakers.

Kobe is a terrible defender and has been for years.

And yes. Pau is a more efficient scorer....

Kobe has been an overrated Defender for his entire career.
    Was voted to all-defensive teams. What did i miss?
    Waas he shutting down dudes back during his prime?
    Were the coaches seeing something we didnt?

1999-00 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    2002-03 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2003-04 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2005-06 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2006-07 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2007-08 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2008-09 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2009-10 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2010-11 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2011-12 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)

This dude plays defense on some Bruce Bowen level????

Kobe riders Plaese 2 Explain

Because Kobe is one of the few NBA players that defends multiple positions (pg,sg,sf) voters and fans think he's a great defender. He looks active because he's all over the place. In reality, he's out of position most of the time and his man is usually the one wide open. He never stays in front of his man..always gambling for steals and helping when its unnecesary.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    batmon said:
    motown67 said:
    Warriors need a new coach ASAP

So......?

He's changed his rotations in the 4th quarter slightly and I still don't like how he calls timeouts. That being said. We're second in the Pacific we're top 5 in rebounding and something like top 10 in defense. And remember this is all without our starting center and our 6th man. Can't argue with the results.

To his credit, Jackson seems to be growing as a coach. I just hate the fact that we go small no matter what in the 4th quarter even when it's clearly not helping us defensively.

edpowers said:
    Because Kobe is one of the few NBA players that defends multiple positions (pg,sg,sf) voters and fans think he's a great defender. He looks active because he's all over the place. In reality, he's out of position most of the time and his man is usually the one wide open. He never stays in front of his man..always gambling for steals and helping when its unnecesary.

I agree with this.

But to say Pau plays "better D" is way off. I mean dude has neither strength nor power nor will to defend....He's NEVER been known for his defense.

On the offensive end, even role players have been assertive (Fisher, Horry, Rodman), and have somehow found their niche. To say his roles have changed and it's not his fault is an excuse. He's a pro, and he needs to find and take his shots (not pass 'em up). Ignore Kobe's demands for the ball, which dudes like Ramon Sessions and Metta does well.

batmon said:
    Kobe has been an overrated Defender for his entire career.
    Was voted to all-defensive teams. What did i miss?
    Waas he shutting down dudes back during his prime?
    Were the coaches seeing something we didnt?

1999-00 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2000-01 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    2001-02 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)
    2002-03 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2003-04 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2005-06 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2006-07 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2007-08 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2008-09 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2009-10 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2010-11 NBA All-Defensive (1st)
    2011-12 NBA All-Defensive (2nd)

This dude plays defense on some Bruce Bowen level????

Kobe riders Plaese 2 Explain

Overrated for sure.

For the same reasons I can't name the top defenders at the 2/3 spot, is probably the same reason why his name is an easy pick for lists like these........Plain laziness.

Which ties into

"Pau is the greatest passing big man in the league right now!"

Kevin Love is a great passer but he's rarely on national TV.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Charles Smith! Bridgeport represent!

batmon said:

Yankees for sure.

batmon said:
    yuichi said:
    Gettiing Kevin Martin is a very good thing.

lol

The beginning of the end for OKC.

Care to rethink this?

Over half their games at home.

Relatively easy schedule. Losses against "tough" teams (Boston, Memphis).

I wouldn't call anything just yet.