President Romney (NRR Catnip)

Comments

• Thymebomb13 said:

Because the focus group of old white petrochemical industry guys knows it's a HUGE problem.

HUGE.

Good thing President Willard Perry is gonna fix it.

Willard Perry? Has someone fused the sterling personality of Willard "Mitt" Romney with the oratory skills of Rick Perry into one super-candidate? Why isn't this front page news? Forget Voter ID this is mad science out of control!

• Is it too late to get my name on the ballot? I transformed Hip-Hop, I can bring America back to its former glory.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    [How about everyone is sent a voter card and when they show up to vote, they hand in their card (Which then gets stamped voted) and show one piece of a document that proves they live there?

I'd be cool with this.....and it's not like I am a big advocate for Voter ID....but if we have a problem with voter suppression and voter fraud it seems like there should be a solution that would address them both in one fell swoop.

I don't think the anti-voter suppression folks I've heard speak would buy into your solution above because it would discriminate against the homeless.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    First empty your entire soul into a toilet and flush before you can vote.

Oh yeah, that's already in place.

How do you find the strength to get out of bed every morning knowing the system holds you down?

You must be superhuman.

Rockadelic said:
    Would anyone here be against a Voter ID Law if it was done with something technology based like Retina Scan or Fingerprints?

Rock, we can't even get people to go for a national ID card for fear of Big Brother taking over our lives. People here may go for it, but the real world ain't the Strut, as I'm sure you know.

edit-just saw Saracenus' post.

Kanye West said:
    Is it too late to get my name on the ballot? I transformed Hip-Hop, I can bring America back to its former glory.

Hi Pat. :hi:

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    [How about everyone is sent a voter card and when they show up to vote, they hand in their card (Which then gets stamped voted) and show one piece of a document that proves they live there?

I'd be cool with this.....and it's not like I am a big advocate for Voter ID....but if we have a problem with voter suppression and voter fraud it seems like there should be a solution that would address them both in one fell swoop.

I don't think the anti-voter suppression folks I've heard speak would buy into your solution above because it would discriminate against the homeless.

Couldn't you just have homeless shelters set up in an official capacity to allow the homeless to register there? So their voter card would be mailed there? Then the shelter stamps the card stating that the person has been registered there.

I'm pretty sure the % of homeless that actually want to vote and then follow through is not a massive number. There must be a way that can easily undertake this task.

I just think many of these voter ID laws are a bad look all around.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    skel said:
    Obama said he'd close Gitmo and still hasn't. FAIL.
    Mitt is clearly all about enriching Mitt.

Really, can't you guys find anyone better than these two?

Maybe you can send us some ......

Let me ask you, looking from the outside and having been here 4 years ago is it painfully obvious that if things like Gitmo(which was) and Fast & Furious were during the Republicans watch the Soulstrut masses would be screaming about it in multiple 10 pagers but since it's Obama, not a word(other than you)?

Does it look like hypocrisy from a neutral vantage point?

As I recall we have had long drawn out threads on closing Gitmo.
    Including ones where people on here argued that bringing terrorists to NYC for trail or to high security prisons in the States would be too dangerous.

The idea that no one on here criticizes Obama is ridiculous.
    I have often criticized him, as have HC, PC and a dozen other posters.

As for Fast and Furious, I don't understand why the Justice Dept has not fired a whole bunch of people.
    But to think that it was a plot by the president to arm Mexican drug gangs is kinda crazy.

Rockadelic said:
    Would anyone here be against a Voter ID Law if it was done with something technology based like Retina Scan or Fingerprints?

The problem with voter id laws is that they attempt to solve a problem that doesn't exist.
    Coupled with the fact that most of the states that have attempted to implement them have a long (unrepentant) history of trying to disenfranchise minority voters.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Or have mobile stations (that's an oxymoron I'm pretty sure, but you get the idea), much like how the blanket and food trucks work. Register and vote at the same time.

Who pays for the voter ID cards? If the taxpayers foot the bill collectively, people are subject to charges of "freeloader", or whines of "Why are my tax payer dollars going to this"? If the individual has to pay, that's a poll tax, and has been ruled unconstitutional.

The fact remains that voter fraud is a bogus claim put forward by those who wish to suppress the voice of those who they disagree with.

• LaserWolf said:
    As for Fast and Furious, I don't understand why the Justice Dept has not fired a whole bunch of people.
    But to think that it was a plot by the president to arm Mexican drug gangs is kinda crazy.

To this point, the internal investigation (conducted by Office of the Inspector General, Department of Justice) just wrapped up and it concluded AG Eric Holder not to blame while recommending 14 Justice Department and ATF officials for disciplinary and administrative review. Since this came out, 2 ATF officials have quite. More info here:
    http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/fast-furious-probe-clears-holder-faults-atf-justice/story?id=17274903#.UGNWJFHZ140

Depending on how the election goes (do the republicans hold on to the house being the operative piece here) there will probably be congressional inquiries and if there are civil actions to be taken there might be some law-suits.

This scandal is pretty much run its course unless something earth shattering is unearthed.

DOR said:

Couldn't you just have homeless shelters set up in an official capacity to allow the homeless to register there?

Getting off the subject, but, homeless people don't live at homeless shelters.
    Many never go to shelters or use those types of public services.

LaserWolf said:
    DOR said:

Couldn't you just have homeless shelters set up in an official capacity to allow the homeless to register there?

Right. But what % are we talking about of people that fit this, that actually go to vote.

My point was not that they stay in the shelters. But register through one to get their voter cards sent to.

DOR said:
    LaserWolf said:
    DOR said:

Right. But what % are we talking about of people that fit this, that actually go to vote.

My point was not that they stay in the shelters. But register through one to get their voter cards sent to.

Fair enough. If we are going to implement a system meant to making voting more difficult, with the goal of suppressing voter turn out, especially among poor and minorities, that would be as good a way as any to help the homeless vote.

I am not much worried about the implementation of voter id laws.
    If they are applied equally (yeah, right) that would probably inconvenience and disenfranchise conservative older voters as they would the poor and minorities.
    But history shows us that these types of laws are not applied equally.

• I have been shying away from talking about Romney because it has just been so painful to watch him flailing around on the campaign trail (this is from a democrat mind you)... Then I see something like this:

Never has the game been so poorly played since this guy:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Lol at the idea of left-leaning and liberal in American politics.

Srsly, your left-lean still keeps it to the right of most of the rotw's mainstream right.

So how's about we keep it 'right' and 'just this side of Atilla the Hun'.

• bassie said:
    Or have mobile stations (that's an oxymoron I'm pretty sure, but you get the idea), much like how the blanket and food trucks work. Register and vote at the same time.

there's same-day registration in 12 US states (soon including CA).

Saracenus said:

Watching that clip it's hard not to feel like he's already lost the race.

That was painful.

I feel for Romney supporters.

Many times it has been my candidate that was tone deaf and unauthentic.

I don't think any of the candidates I supported were as creepy as Romney.
    People often point out that he is unable to talk passionately, or to connect.
    But he often talks passionately. Check out a clip of him shouting "Corporations are people, my friend".
    He has no problem connecting with big $$$ donors and talking passionately about victims in the 47% clip.
    It is only when he has to mingle with the unwashed masses or talk about issues that effect people not in the 1% that he becomes wooden and awkward.

Question for Rockadelic.
    I can't find the post where you explain why you think Mitt will win, buried too far back.

But the people you are talking, do they support Romney? Or do they hate Obama?

I think there is a difference between enthusiasm for Romney and hatred for Obama.
    The first will drive people to the polls and work to see their candidate win.
    The second could well keep them home on election day.

Personally, today, before the debates and whatever else may happen in the coming weeks, I think an Obama win is likely.
    The polling suggests a win.
    Nate Silver's analysis suggests a win.
    Romney should be ahead. The economy sucks, progressives hate Obama, Obamacare was supposed to be an albatross, Fast and Furious...
    The fact that he is not ahead (except in your polling) suggests an Obama win.

• Why don't you ask the economics professors in Portland, who get paid like 5 or 6 figures, to tell you why if Obama gets elected we will really be out over the cliff?

• I might cut my finger, and I might say damn.

• GatorToof said:
    Why don't you ask the economics professors in Portland, who get paid like 5 or 6 figures, to tell you why if Obama gets elected we will really be out over the cliff?

Welp, I could go ask some economic professors (one is a family friend, the others were professors I had while studying for my Accounting degree) I know in Portland but why would I waste their time with your facetious assertion? If Obama gets elected so what. All legislation dealing with finance must start in the house. Which last time I checked was controlled by the republicans. Unless the republicans blow it and loose control of the house Obama isn't going to get anything done except the most basic funding of government.

And the cliff of which you speak, congress put that into play when they voted for the Budget Control Act of 2011 (AKA The Sequester). That came about when the republicans in the house decided that it would be a great idea for us to not increase the debt ceiling and default on our sovereign debt.

All the economics professors I know deal with things like facts, math, and basic common sense; something you seem to be devoid of. Why don't you stop watching Faux News or reading the Drudge report and pick up a book. Learn some some basic civics and economic theory. You might be surprised that there is a whole world outside the bubble.

Otherwise, go get bent.

My armchair understanding is, no matter who is president, barring a catastrophe, around12 million new jobs will be created in the next 4 years.

• Saracenus said:

All the economics professors I know deal with things like facts, math, and basic common sense; something you seem to be devoid of. Why don't you stop watching Faux News or reading the Drudge report and pick up a book. Learn some some basic civics and economic theory.

Pick up a book and learn some financial theory? That is what you tell me. Pick up yourself and apply some financial theory.

"otherwise, go grow a bean plant."

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:

And I can't believe anyone with an IQ over 65 thinks Fast and Furious is a major issue in this election. I know wingnuts have popped hernias over this low-level snafu but it has no legs as a national issue.

Hardly anything pertinent is an issue in this "election".

So yeah, I guess it is no sweat for Obama to sweep stacks of dismembered bodies just across our border under the rug.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Watched an interview with Jesse Ventura last night......dude is a nut.....believes some wild conspiracy theories.....has some crazy ideas.

BUT

He made one point that is 100% true and can not be ignored. When he ran for Governor of Minnesota he was polled at 10% of the vote 2 -3 months before the election.....he was allowed to debate the D & R candidate and eventually won.

Both the Dems and Reps talk about giving people opportunities as long as it isn't the opportunity for a third party to get an even playing field.....as soon as Ventura won BOTH of these parties raced to 'recruit" him....the thing that scares them the most is a third party and an independent thinker.......and if it's bad for them politically, it's gotta be good for us peons.

I can't see defending a two party system in 2012.

Rock,

There is a really good documentary with Bill Moyers about the truth on Presidential Debates . You should check it out.

Actually everyone should check it out.

HarveyCanal said:
    Thymebomb13 said:

And I can't believe anyone with an IQ over 65 thinks Fast and Furious is a major issue in this election. I know wingnuts have popped hernias over this low-level snafu but it has no legs as a national issue.

Hardly anything pertinent is an issue in this "election".

So yeah, I guess it is no sweat for Obama to sweep stacks of dismembered bodies just across our border under the rug.

Oh, is that what he did? Stacks of them, huh?